Thursday, August 7, 2008

Patchwork

The World's Longest Pair of Jeans

I feel like today is the start of something big (long and big). It's all part of a master plan... my master plan to engage, challenge, and recognize this growing and committed group of readers. Hopefully you'll agree that the real genius... and fun... of today's creative idea is only just beginning. The real beauty of it will come as the days and months pass. I can say, "genius," without worrying that you'll think I'm boasting, because today's idea is actually a dual brainstorm between me and... Ms. Kolkmeier... Katie, that is. 

But first...
10 Events; 10 Days Winners
1 Champion
2 Days to Go!
Join us for the

VIRTUAL HIGHLOWAHA
Dinner Party
Friday, August 8, 2008
8:00 p.m.

Eat Chinese food (don't forget your fortune cookies),
watch the opening of the Olympic Games,
Be in the drawing for a COOL prize, and
be home for the unveiling of...

HIGHLOWAHA's
NEXT BIG EVENT
*Announcement will be posted at 9:00 CST*

*****************************************************************

Let me warn you... equipment is necessary for this past time. To participate you'll need one old, ready-to-be-retired pair of jeans, BUT... that still fit! Don't have a pair of jeans? You'll want to pick up a pair. No need for an expensive pair of designer jeans. A simple pair of Levi's, Gap, or even Walmart jeans will work. Why? With a little time, a lot of fun, and some effort on your part... the jeans will be covered in... PATCHES.

Was it spotting the World's Longest Pair of jeans in Lucky Jeans that prompted the idea? Or , was it unexpectedly passing by the Girl Scout store and going inside to admire the wall of patches? Hard to know. But, the eureka moment looked something like that old commercial for Reeses Cups - peanut butter bumps into chocolate and the PERFECT treat is born.

Instead... jeans meet patches and the perfect idea is born. Highlowaha readers (men and women alike) will have chances to earn patches for all kinds of fun highlowaha shenanigans. Display your earned patches on your specially chosen jeans and then wear the jeans at Taste of USA: Philadelphia and other fun events sure to be forthcoming. If girl scouts, boy scouts, the military, police officers, and fire fighters - to name a few - can all earn patches in recognition of their accomplishments, then why can't we?

Some important points to get us started...
  • We are troop/squad #218. February 18 (2/18) is the date of the first highlowaha post, so #218 it is. I have an extra set of numbers to the first person who posts a description of his/her newly appointed Patchwork Jeans.
  • Highlowaha readers can recommend activities for which patches can be earned. Simply propose your idea via email (highlowaha@me.mac) or "Comments." We'll formalize and then post to the general readership.
  • In the true spirit of scouting, earning a patch should require sustained effort. So, for instance... you might earn a Reading Raynbow Book Club patch, but only if you participate in at least three of the four books discussed in a year (that's an example. No decision has been made about # of books).
  • Chairs of special projects (Christmas project and Book Club) earn a patch just for chairing. The extra work involved in leading a project justifies the award of the patch. Sue, Maureen, Brian, Julie, and Melanie... your inaugural patches are on their way to you.
  • Much like scouting, "officially" earned highlowaha patches will go on the front of your jeans and other personal favorites (but not highlowaha) sanctioned will go on the back of your jeans. Katie (the bean counter) and I will take responsibility for ordering patches and getting them to you. Patches cost approximately $1.00 each. We are working toward setting up a Pay Pal account, to make transactions easy-peasie. 
  • Below is a picture of me wearing my jeans. Notice where the numbers are placed (we would like that to be uniform on each person's jeans). I decided I earned the ice cream patch for eating ice cream every day in the whole month of July and the letter patch came for organizing Peanut and the Shell (really it is so you can get the vision for Patchwork).
Some announcements and then you can dig through your closet for an official pair of "HLA Patchwork" jeans.

Announcements:
  • Don't miss today's posts. Today marks the first post about our HLA Holiday Project. Be sure to click on the icon, which will take you directly to the blog spot. The group has three questions they are posing to we the readers. http://mrhelpinghand.blogspot.com/
  • Project Make Your Mark: I feel some momentum building for this project. Thanks. If you are new to the site and don't know what I am talking about, check Tuesday's post. We are trying to solicit 100 stories of 100 inspiring teachers to surprise 100 unsuspecting teachers from around the country. Helping is easy. Jot your story on paper. Mail it to me (with $5.00) at Claudia Beeny, 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, Texas, 76051. See Tuesday's (8/5) post for even more detail.
  • Philadelphia here we come. Saturday, September 6, 10:30-4:00. So far we have commitments from Heidi, Tera, and Amy. Whose the next to RSVP, "YES!!!"
  • Did you notice the cool green shirt I was wearing in the picture up top? It goes to the next person who RSVPs, "yes" to meeting us in Philly.
Signing off until tomorrow...

31 comments:

Julie said...

I love days like today.

Please note I'm not commenting for the shear joy of earing a patch or two here.

Dr. B, I think "smile" is my favorite word in the English language. I couldn't help but notice the shirt you are wearing in that picture is of a smile :)

I told Cheryl in an email yesterday that I will be bringing myself the almost 6 hours through the state of PA to be a part of the Day in Philly!

This jeans challenge couldn't have come at a better time!! I'm moving in less than 2 weeks and am currently downsizing everything I have. With that being said, I have my favorite pair of jeans that is starting to rip at the back pockets. I figured I'd wear them for the duration of me being here in Buffalo, and then put them in my "good will" pile. BUT fear not. I don't have to part with them now ... they will be turned into my HLA jeans!

Where do we get the green numbers to put "218" on our jeans?

Reading RAYnbow said...

TOMORROW!!

TOMORROW IS GOING TO BE A FABULOUS DAY!!

Highlowaha is hosting a dinner party!! YUM!

I'm posting the first set of thoughtful question prompts for our book club.

VISTI ME! VISIT ME! VISIT ME!
http://readingraynbow.blogspot.com

I get so excited when people visit and then let me know they stopped by!

HAPPY DAY!

Brian K. Root said...

Hello, all...

If you're interested in helping out with a HLA holiday "community service" project, check out my latest post at http://mrhelpinghand.blogspot.com.

Thanks,

H. Hand

Anonymous said...

Julie, you beat me to the punch this morning for posting about your jeans...so I think the "218" is yours since Claudia posted the first person to post about their jeans would get the patches.

For everyone else...continue to get in the mood for tomorrow by posting what yummy Chinese food you are going to eat.

Anonymous said...

H. Hand...please allow us non-google id people to post on your page...I add my name to my post but don't have a google/blogger

Cheryl Houston said...

Yay, Julie! Did you just win BOTH challenges? A RSVP & you have your jeans picked out!!! I was thinking of you when I read the tshirt challenge! That shirt is going to look so cute on you!!!

I was so excited to hear Julie was joining us in Philly yesterday when we were exchanging emails!

HLA+PA=FUN! Can't wait to see everyone there!

I'm so glad that I didn't give that stack of jeans to Good Will. I'll have to go through them tonight. Claudia, I thought this idea was fun when you mentioned it to me before but seeing it come together... it's better than I first imagined!!

Brian K. Root said...

All taken care of, Heather. Feel free to comment.

-H. Hand

Ashlee said...

I'm new to HLA(as ya'll call it), but love how you seem to pay attention to the details. I think I'll order Chinese for dinner tomorrow night, too! :) Glad I found this!

Anonymous said...

Welcome Ashlee!!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Ashlee... I should have put money on who I thought would "Think Big and Take Risks." I'd be a little bit richer, because I would have put money on YOU!

Don't be shy. Jump right in and find yourself a pair of jeans.

maureen said...

Ok Claudia having been a leader for the past 11 years I think I own every badge out there. Although I have to admit they do keep coming up with new ones. The badges here in NY start at $2 so you are getting them at a bargain rate. Maybe I will order my girls badges and patches from you (just kidding). I have decided to put all my patches on a denim jacket that we earned with my troop. I have never done it yet but I have the collection. If you ever want to see a picture of a vest from very involved scouts I will send you Krysten and Melissa's they are amazing. I will have to get a pair of jeans because like someone I know from a long time ago I really DONT wear jeans!!!
Does that surprise you ?

As for Chinese food (which happens to be my favorite)... My girls and I will be sitting around the coffee table on pillows eating wonton soup, egg rolls, roast pork lo mein, and fried rice..... I may shoot for the roast pork chop seuy.. I dont know what I am in the mood for yet!! Its only 10 AM

As for PA, I will definately be there unless something comes up with my kids school. It is about 3.5 hours from here. Can I bring the girls or adults only? Be honest I wont mind!!!!

maureen said...

OOPS HELLO ASHLEY!!!
Welcome to the "funnest" place on Earth!!!

I know the word funnest is improper but it just seems to fit!!!!

KAMHI RESIDENCE: STOP CRINGING!! I'M JUST BEING CREATIVE!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm new to HLA too...normally I'm not a huge blogger, but I've been thinking lately that it's good to stay open to new possibilities. It stretches the soul:)

Matt Stone said...

Also...Chinese food...brilliant:)

maureen said...

Well Matt you have come to an amazing place. This was the first blog I got involved in and I must say they are a tough act to follow. Things move pretty fast around here so "buckle up"

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I've already packed all but one pair of jeans for the move, but as soon as I unpack I'll find my "patch jeans"! I'm excited about this.

Also, I may eat Chinese for lunch today...you're all making me hungry!

Dr. Beeny - check your email!

Julie - I LOVE your pic.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Matt. Great having you aboard. Maybe you will see by staying open to new possibilities and following the energy of this group, that your creativity will grow.

One down, eight more to go.

Also... Heather and others. Sorry I haven't replied with my Chinese order yet. I was taking the task very seriously and wanted to make sure I was reporting correctly on what Richard would be eating. We were finally in the same place at the same time AND I remembered to ask.

And, it's a good thing. I would have guessed Curry Chicken, but as it turns out he plans to get Tams Noodles. As for me... I get the Szechuan Beef dish, but with the Mongolian beef. Oh, and don't forget about the lettuce wraps. It's all about the P.F. Changs Lettuce Wraps. They are the BEST!!!!!

Katie said...

Quick check-in for me today- in between training sessions! My staff arrives tomorrow morning so today has been CRAZY trying to get things ready for them!

I already have my jeans picked out and ready to go...now I just need to figure out where the nearest Girl Scout store is so I can go get my troop numbers! I am so excited about this idea and think it will only grow our sense of community to a whole new level! Yay for patches!

As for my chinese food, I'm still not sure what I will be going for. It will be late by the time I get finished with training tomorrow evening, so many just an egg roll with some rice...we'll have to see!

Lastly, let me say that the 'Ms. Kolkmeier' reference in the first paragraph made me lose it in laughter once again. For all those who are wondering, I was called Ms. Kolkmeier for the first time yesterday...by someone other than a salesman, that is! You can read all about it...and the shock to my system that followed on my cspgradstudent blog!

Anonymous said...

Julie---
Your shell is concerned...one of her treats was demolished in the mail and wasn't able to be sent out from her secret assistant.
So...now she is worried if you have received anything PINK from your shell.

Inquiring minds need to know...

Anonymous said...

Brian...

Though you may be busy
or not in the mood

Tell us your choice
when ordering Chinese food.

Anonymous said...

My dearest Jayme,

Better late than never
is, I hope, sweet enough.
In the mail soon
Expect some nifty stuff.

One more small treat
Before the game's through
Will make its way
In a letter to you.

Love, Your (slacker of a) Shell

Julie said...

Dear Anonymous,

Please let my shell know that I not only received something pink in the mail, but I also received something yellow in the mail too ... and if my memory is serving me correctly, they came from two undisclosed, different locations.

To my shell - THANK YOU for everything :) :) I love it all!

Anonymous said...

1. Knowing Everyone is good at something

From the Campus Ministry retreat at Prothro Center, Lake Texacoma

I used to collect patch's. Then I stopped and I don't know where they are anymore. My wife would presume that they are in the pile of boxes that crowd our garage.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

John... well then dig around and find those patches, so you can join the fun! Can't find 'em? No worries. You can earn more here.

Knowing that everyone is good at something makes me curious as to what our fun community can expect to gain from YOU! I'm looking forward to finding out.

Everyone... there's an awful lot of peanut sleuthing going on. But still... no word from Brian about his choice of Chinese dishes. Now my curiosity is peaked. Don't wait forever, Brian. We can stand it any longer. Inquiring minds want to know.

azlori said...

To my shell....I received your package today! Love it! Can't wait to jam out to Kid Rock "All Summer Long" on the way to soccer practice! Thanks again!

Cheryl Houston said...

Shell,

thanks for the Phase 10 game! the boys and I look forward to playing!!!

Anonymous said...

Shell,

It's been a hectic week, so I've not had much chance to post, but just wanted to let you know that I received my book in the mail and I LOVE it! Thanks a ton!

Stacie

Cheryl Houston said...

Okay, I have just spent the last 30 minutes in my closet trying on jeans. Most of them are too tight or too short or both. I'm having a bit of jean anxiety over here! I want my jeans to be perfect so I can wear them a really long time. You know how you have that perfect pair of jeans but you wash them and they never fit the same? I have one pair of jeans that I really like right now but even though I love Claudia and highlowaha... I don't love ya'll that much. :)

When I get settled on a pair of jeans, do we just get our 218 patches from the Girl Scout store? Can we have more direction on that?

Creighton Alexander said...

Creighton says "think big"

Brian K. Root said...

It's soooo late -- but I'm a night owl -- so this isn't out of the ordinary.

Anyhow, I'll take some crabmeat rangoons... those things are, as Rachel Ray would say, "delish"

Unknown said...

setting the bar high.

fuxia wang