Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Decathlon Day #2: ChampionCHIP Bake-Off

IMPORTANT NOTE:  Today is the most elaborate of the ten events and your creation is NOT due today.  I am introducing it early in the competition to assure decathletes have plenty of time to participate. Read on!

Highlowaha 
CREATIVITY
D*E*C*A*T*H*L*O*N
Day #2
ChampionCHIP Bake-Off  

According to S. Austin, author of China: Secrets of the Dragon
"The kitchen in China is the center of the household: it is the space where the family gathers and where the most concern and energy is devoted to when building a home.  In traditional China, a household is defined through the stove and, thus, through the kitchen, food, and eating.  Those who share a stove are considered family and likewise, those who are considered  to be family are considered so precisely because they share the household stove.... Hence, food is the center of home life in China and is that which binds family members to each household."
So, today's challenge is a test of your creativity... in the kitchen.  We, after all, are like family.

For Highlowaha Decathlon Event #2, you must create a baked good.  Three stipulations.  
  • First.  Your entry must include one secret ingredient: Nestle Toll house Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips.  
  • Second.  Your item must be delivered (mailed or hand delivered) no later than noon on Thursday, August 21.  An extended panel of judges will convene at my home beginning at 7:00 p.m. to taste and evaluate your creations.  If you are mailing from out of town, a postmark of Monday, August 18 will have your package here on time
  • Third.  Your "batch" should feed a minimum of eight judges (who might need a second taste to assure it's as yummy as they thought the first time!).  I am not a judge, so peanuts are welcome!
Important Reminder:  In order to compete as a decathlete you must have an entry in all ten events.  If you are short on time, stay in the game by submitting a batch of pre-made Nestle Toll house Cookies.   Remember, you do not have to place in the top of all ten events in order to win.  Similarly, if you want to bake your entry early and deliver it this week, I will freeze your entry and then pull it out of the freezer next Thursday. 

Let us know you're out there today, by telling us which camp you come from... crunchy chocolate chip cookies or soft.  Me?  Crunchy all the way.

The Un-sportsmen Like Trivia Question of the Day:
The sports caster of Women's Volleyball announced last night that Misty May did what four years ago after winning the gold medal?

Announcements:  
  • Patchwork: Remember, you can earn a patch for you Patchwork jeans just by gathering five statements from friends, colleagues, or neighbors describing their favorite teacher.  Mail them to me in an envelope with $5.00 per letter (to cover cost of markers, mailing envelope, and postage) and I will mail you your patch.
  • Taste of USA: Katie recruited a friend and prospective highlowaha reader to join us in Philly.  We are looking forward to meeting Nicole. 
  • Correspondent Update: Alden and Amy made their first post.  Check it out... http://aainbeijing.blogspot.com/2008/08at-airport.html
Signing off until tomorrow...

40 comments:

Katie said...

Misty May spread her mother's ashes on the sand court in Athens after winning the gold 4 years ago.

A bake-off...this is serious business!!!

Yay for Nicole coming to Philly...and maybe Kristen!

Anonymous said...

I'm in the Soft cookie club.
Is it acceptable to use Nestle's Mini semi-sweet chips?

Katie said...

Oh yes, and I'm in the soft club as well!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Melanie... yes, but only if it is exactly 1,765! Just kidding. An attempt to make a funny reference to an old post. Mini chips are a.o.k.

Anonymous said...

OH YEAH BAKING!
HLAers better have their game on!

Anonymous said...

I'm going to need some significant scaffolding for my baking creation...i should remember that.

Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of soft cookies.

I LOVE to bake...so everyone better watch out. My stuff is packed away in the move to Cleveland, but you better believe that my baking stuff will be the first box unpacked!

Cheryl Houston said...

I'm in the softer cookie camp.

Hooray for cspgrad for recruiting for our PA trip!!! Way to go!

I can't wait to deliver my baked goods!!!

Peggy said...

OMG! This is so funny.... I couldn't even explain what in the world I would be doing baking cookies and sending them off to Texas!

But I'm here to go for the gold and represent my family... you mean you can make your cookies soft or crunchy??????

Anonymous said...

I'm a soft cookie fan for sure. Crunchy has its place in my life (and my belly), of course, but I generally prefer them super soft... just slightly undercooked in the center if I can catch them early enough.

Gotta' get busy planning my entry!

Cheryl Houston said...

Peggy, that cracked me up! I know, right? I always realized there was a difference but whoa, you can actually control that?!!? HA!

Anonymous said...

Point of information:

Are we supposed to be coming up with our own original recipe, or just showing off our baking skills (and creativity in choosing what to bake?), even if it's technically someone else's recipe?

Ashlee said...

Oh...I'm not really a creative baker! I'm pretty much a by-the-recipe cook! This one will stretch me a bit, but I'm going to REMAIN OPEN TO POSSIBILITIES. I am most definitely in the soft cookie camp!

Ashlee said...

Oh yeah...how do I know where to send the cookies?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Points of interest...

No need to create your own recipe - though far be it from me to stop you! Feel free to express your creativity in the recipe you choose... and if you're really feeling up for the challenge... the presentation of whatever you send/deliver.

Ashlee... so glad you asked about where to send the cookies. Why - Claudia K. Beeny, 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, Texas, 76051 - of course. Are you starting to see the genius of my settling on this event?

ALSO... for newcomers to our site - LURKERS AND POSTERS - if you haven't already... make sure to send me a postcard with your address on it (you can insert in your box of cookies). Old timers have been reaping the benefits of having their names included in my Random Act of Kindness (RAK) box. Occasionally when I am feeling generous, I pull a postcard out of the box and send a treat of sorts. Don't miss out on your chance!

Anonymous said...

Please include all recipes so Claudia can post. Also like to turn this into a "Community Board". I have a great Trend Mill that I will let go for the low price of $50.00. I also have a free very pretty white wicker rocker. And for those divers out there 2 BC's. Move fast!!!!

Anonymous said...

treadmill

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

NEWSFLASH! We have our first post from Alden and Amy - our Olympic correspondents. I just posted the link under today's announcements. Check it out.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

While having a tread mill would be nice, having a TREND mill would be fun. I would love to have some kind of contraption guaranteed to crank out the latest trends. Lord knows, for someone like me... a walking fashion train wreck!

I have to pass on the tread mill, but the TREND mill... SOLD to the fashion challenged woman living down the block from you!

Anonymous said...

Mom,
If you can't find a home for the tread mill I'll take it. Do I get a family discount?

Anonymous said...

Ooohhh Toni...I would LOVE to have the white wicker rocker. My white rocker for Lily's room just broke so this would be a perfect replacement.
Just let me know when you want it picked up and THANKS!!!!

As far as cookies go I like mine soft with a little uncooked in the center just like Stacie. But you better believe I'm not cooking cookies for this challenge...no siree, I'm having my Mom scour up some of her best chocolate chippy recipes so I can get baking.

Can we submit only one entry?

Cheryl Houston said...

More than one entry, Heather?!!?

You're such an over-achiever and might I add....suck up! :D


LOVE YOU- See you tonight!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm also not great at making a decision so two entries would allow me to do a little of both...

Woohoo it's Cheryl's birthday!!!!!!

Peggy said...

cass- mmmmm letter C in your name and your mom is on this blog.... mmmm....my shell?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Heather and others... by all means...suck up. Actually... we must limit the competition to one recipe per decathlete. However... if Bal, for instance, wanted to compete in this event alone, he could. Remember... to compete for title of Highlowaha Decathlon Champion you must compete in all ten events, however, there may be a few people choosing to only participate in one or two events.

Peggy is reminding me to make a quick announcement... Saturday marks the end of our very fun game of Peanut and the Shell. Remember Peanuts and Shells to log on at some point during the day and place a guess as to who has been sending you your fun treats.

Yes.. and I am remiss in all the Olympic excitement in not making a big and formal shout out to Cheryl whose birthday is today! Happy Birthday, Cheryl!

Creighton Alexander said...

The gooier the better - but I will remain open the possibilities of like crunchy chips as well.

Cheryl Houston said...

Thank you, Claudia!

I just re-read the rules for the Bake-off and I'm cutting it so close! My secret ingredient is supposed to be delivered no later than the 20th and these have to be to you by noon on the 21st! Whew- I'm going to be cutting it close!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I am overwhelmed by two things right now.

1. My horrible grammar in the last post I made and,
2. The disproportionate number of people who like their chocolate chip cookie soft and gooey. I am shocked. Truly shocked. Is there no one out there who likes them crunchy like me? Helllllllooooooo out there.

Cheryl Houston said...

Claudia-

You've been hanging around me too much! HA!

Anonymous said...

Maureen,
Have you left for your vacation? A package is headed your way. Hope you have a fabulous trip!!! Be safe!

Anonymous said...

Cassie you get a preferred price. Heather how about Sat early.

The best cookies are crispy, very crispy.

Anonymous said...

Thinking Big and Encouraging Risk Taking.

Ok. So I'm not sure how this whole conversation works from post to post. If those who responded to my whole Theme post about Weave are reading, thanks for the responses. I've decided that the theme will be. . . .:::Drum Roll:::::::::

Weave Theory

Like String Theory in physic's is touted as being the Theory of Everything, so Weave Theory postulates similiarly that it is the theory of the interconectedness of all of creation.

One of the things that I will be attempting is learning to use a drop spindle to create some yarn out of Sheep Fleece. I will also be inviting students to try this.

If this flies I will be examing the wide world of Weaving. And let me tell you it is a WIIIIDDEEE WOrld. If your interested I found a wealt of info at www.woolery.com. I've ordered an introduction to Spindle spinning on DVD as well.

Anyway we will see where Weave theory will take us this year. Again thanks for your idea's

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Peanut!

Anonymous said...

i like my cookies soft!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday, Cheryl!!!!

Anonymous said...

I like cookies that I don't have to bake - soft or crunchy - just bought Costco cookies today.
Claudia, I'll send you a super yummy recipe that has chocolate chips in it - but unfortunately, it wouldn't take to being shipped (cream cheese icing doesn't work well in uncontrolled temperatures - oh well). My boys really liked them (there's fruit involved too) I'll keep checking in on the competition. Good luck guys.

Cheryl Houston said...

Thanks Katie & Shell!

Brian K. Root said...

Oooh... I will love this challenge.

Brian K. Root said...

I like my cookies crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. The perfect combo.

Anonymous said...

Will yesterday's winner be posted tonight?? How late? Where? Here in the comments or on the main page? I'm so excited!