Thursday, August 14, 2008

Decathlon Day #5: Boggles the Mind!

Decathlete standings under today's Announcements.

Another exciting night of Olympic fun.  Now down to the business of our own Olympics...

Highlowaha
D*E*C*A*T*H*L*O*N
Day #5
Boggles the Mind

While the English language is based on arranging 26 letters into words variations, the Chinese language is based on characters, each with its own distinctive set of strokes and meanings.  Did you know a well-educated Chinese person recognizes approximately 6,000-7,000 characters and, that to read a Mainland newspaper, you must recognize upwards of 3,000 characters?  A large unabridged dictionary in China contains over 40,000 characters.  These things I did not know.  But, through the power of the internet and Wikipedia... all things are possible.  

Apparently the word requiring the most strokes is "verbose" and is comprised of sixty-four strokes (there's something very appropriate about that).  The most complex word is "snuffle." Though "snuffle" doesn't require as many strokes (36), the strokes a repeated series as is the case with the word "verbose."  Other characters requiring a large number of strokes include words such as: "the appearance of a dragon in flight", 48 strokes (would love to see that used in a sentence); "to implore", 32 strokes; "depressed", 29 strokes; and "quarrel", 25 strokes.

As a matter of course, I was curious how we Americans stacked up and found myself searching the website, AskOxford.com.  When taking into account everything from: (1) words in current use, (2) 47,156 obsolete words, (3) 9,500 derivative words included as sub entries in the dictionary, it is determined that there can be more than a quarter of a million distinct English words.

More than 250,000 words!  If you are a junior in high school and studying for the SAT ... not so good (abash used to be the first word on the list of words to learn for the SAT).  But, on THIS day...on this particular day... access to more than 250,000 English words (granted some old and obsolete) is your dream come true.  Today we get creative with letters and the more words from which you have to chose, the better!  Read on...

Today we will play Boggle.  Below are a set of letters.  Your job is to search the letters for as many words as you can find.  The list of words from each decathlete will be compared to his/her competitors, crossing out all repeat words.  To score a word, you must be the only player who found it!  Below are very specific directions.
  • No dictionaries allowed.
  • We will be on an honor system, trusting that no one exceeds a 15 minute limit!
  • Search the assortment for words of 4 or more letters.  Form words from letters that adjoin horizontally, vertically, and/or diagonally to the left, right or up and down.
  • You may not use the same letter cube more than once within a single word.
  • Any complete word (noun, verb, adjective, adverb, etc...), plural of, form of, or tense is acceptable as long as it could be found in a standard English dictionary and with the limitations described below.
  • Proper nouns, abbreviations, contractions, hyphenated words and foreign words that are not found in an English dictionary are not acceptable.
Scoring:
Players score the words left on their list as follows:
4 letters = 1 point
5 letters = 2 points
6 letters = 3 points
7 letters = 5 points
8 or more = 11 points
Total points accumulated from Boggle will be added to your current decathlon score. 

The Unsportsmen-Like Trivia Question of the Day:
Today is which Olympic athletes birthday?  For extra difficulty, what is a nickname given this athlete by his/her partner?

Announcements:

My mailbox void of any Make Your Mark Mail vs. My aspiration mailbox
  • Make Your Mark:  Have I mentioned I'm looking for 100 readers to submit 100 stories, so that we can inspire 100 unsuspecting teachers?  Write a short paragraph about the best teacher you've ever had.  Mail it to me at Claudia K. Beeny, 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, Texas 76051.  Fill by mailbox by August 22!
  • Decathlete Standings:  Cheryl was the winner of Wednesday's Ying and Yang event! Congratulations, Cheryl.  The total list of scores is posted in the announcements.  As of 10:00 last night, we have 12 participants still competing for the prestigious title of Highlowaha Decathlon Champion!  Things are heating up!  Remember... though we are on Day #5 of our decathlon, to date only 2 of your 10 events have been scored.  ANYTHING is still possible!  Over all standings...
Stacie 12.8
Cheryl 13.1
Cassie 13.3
Jayme 13.8
Tera 15.0
Julie 15.8
AZLori 17.0
Kat  17.0
Ashley 18.7
B.Root 20.1
Heather 21.5
Peggy 23.1
  • Place Your Helping Hand Vote:  Click on the words Helping Hand in the top right hand corner of my blog and tell us what you think about our Christmas project.
  • Peanut and Shell:  Check in tomorrow and see behind the scenes of highlowaha's Peanut and Shell game
  • Alden and Amy: Check out what our Olympic correspondents have to say about their Olympic experience in China.
Signing off until tomorrow...

32 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our events "worth" different amounts? I ask because our lowest score from our first event was 6 and our lowest score from this event was 2 ...our highest scores wore equally as low comparatively. I ask because of course the competitor in me wants to know if I really have a shot at coming back from this enormous deficit.

I'll have to wait on today's challenge as I certainly don't have 15 minutes (I should be ironing clothes as I type).

Anonymous said...

I forgot the trivia:
Today is Kerri Walsh's birthday and she is celebrating #30!
The only nickname I know she has is 6 feet of Sunshine but as I recall that was given to her by her husband so I'm at a loss for what Misty calls her.

Anonymous said...

So do we e-mail you the list or post here?

Anonymous said...

since i am out of the competition for champion, im rooting for heather to come back from the bottom and win this thing!!!

GO HEATHER! :-D

i know i can still participate. ill see if i can get a list together now before i leave for the weekend.

maureen said...

Well I am back from PA! I had no computer due to the fact my daughters "brand new" laptop has a broken key. I couldnt check out the site once! I guess I am out of the "Decathalon"

I have read everything I missed. I havent been watching the Olympics because I have been at Heshey Park from 10am to 10 pm and believe me that was a "SPORT" of its own....

PEANUT... I got the Christmas ornament. It is so adorable!!!! I guess you already know about my collection. I have to admit I never knew they even made peanut ornaments or that they have a meaning... Thank you so much for making this so much fun!

Peggy said...

Wow! I'm at the bottom, I hate being a loser, wonder what I have to do to move up in the standings, thus my ego is completely deflated!

Anonymous said...

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot hang on and swing?

Cheryl Houston said...

Darn, Cassie P! I never got your email yesterday. I was going to solicit a cheering section from you! ha! But I understand. I like to cheer for underdogs, too! Come on Heather! I thought you were a competitor- not a quitter! What if Michael Phelps just quit? Wait- has he ever been the underdog?

After yesterday's event with the toilet paper roll, I made sure to turn on my computer this morning to see if I needed to bring anything with me to work! :)

Are we going to get to see what everyone made with their toilet paper roll?

Todays challenge- Ugh, vocabulary!!I have my list but I'm waiting for you to tell us if we email them to you or post.

Anonymous said...

Claudia,
I sent my shell a reveal package that she should get tomorrow. Can I wait till we hear from her before I post?

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to log in and say Hi to everyone.

It has been a while since I've been able to contribute to the community's discussions & activities - the past 5 weeks have flipped my entire world upside down. I really think things should be settling down soon, and I'm looking forward to getting involved with HLA again.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
Never fear, no thoughts of quitting...shoot I could be in medal contention just by having the endurance to stick it out for all ten events.
I just wanted to know if I still have a chance to pull out the gold...

Cheryl Houston said...

Heather-

Glad to hear it! Won't it make a great story if you win!!! Or Peggy?!

Claudia- email or post?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Sorry everyone. I've been out of commission this morning.

Answers;

1. Email your words.
2. Not all events will be able to be calculated in exactly the same way. To date, the variable creating the most... variance is the number of decathletes. Whereas on Day #1, your score was divided by 21 decathletes, the score posted today was only divided by the 12 remaining decathletes. I expect this will level out after today. Anyone who went through the trouble of entering yesterday's event, is probably/hopefully in it for the long haul.
3. Maureen and others... you can compete in a daily event (and win), but you will not be in contention for the gold medal.
4. Heather was correct about Kerri Walsh's birthday being today AND about her nickname (by husband) being 6 feet of Sunshine.

There's still a lot of race left!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

One more thing...

Yes, I will post everyone's entries, sometime this weekend. I don't want to promise which day in the event I can't pull it off. I'd rather announce after the fact and let you go back to check.

Over deliver that's my (aspiration) motto.

Katie said...

First things first...Cheryl! I'll be your cheering section!!! GO CHERYL!

Secondly..to my shell...you are amazing! I can't wait to try out the great recipes you sent to me and I LOVE the cards, magnetic list, etc. that you sent! I have been milling over those things at Michael's and now thanks to you...I have them! THANKS!

Thirdly...this is my first day off in 2.5 weeks. As of 10 minutes ago, I have the rest of the day off! I'm off to clean my apt, catch up with folks from home, do bulletin boards (so much for that day off!) and OF COURSE, make a trip to Michael's!

GO CHERYL!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

You just made my day, Katie!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yes... Cassie P and Kaite, I like where this is going. All you readers out there who are not currently participating in our Highlowaha Decathlon, how about picking a participant and being his/her cheering section. Everybody should have at least one.

Lurkers... this is a great way for you to make your debut. Or... still gun-shy? How about posting as anonymous.

Our decathletes to-date are:
Cheryl
Cassie
Stacie
Heather
Tera
Ashley
Jamie
BK Root
Peggy
Kat
Julie
AZ Lori

Cheryl and Heather already have cheerleaders. Whose next?

Katie said...

It's my pleasure, Cheryl! I'm all about being a cheerleader... anything in the name of competition!

Anonymous said...

Dear Peanut:

I have faith in you for the decathlon!!! Maybe you need a sweet tea to jump start you up into 1st!!!

Looking forward to revealing myself tomorrow,
Your Shell

Anonymous said...

Go BKRoot...You can do it, yes you can, if you can't do it no one can!!!!

GOOOOO BRIAN!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm confused about the scoring. If our total Boggle score is added to our decathlon score, then doesn't that mess up the lower score = higher ranking system? Trying to get mine done before I leave town later today... no events over the weekend, correct?

Anonymous said...

Stacie,
good luck in Baltimore...I'll be sending positive vibes for only good news!

Love ya!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Decathletes...

This is why you are champions... you're creative AND YET, you still tend to the details!

To answer Stacie's question... The scoring outlined in the today's event description will be employed to determine the highest scoring decathlete, second highest, etc..., etc...

Once your Boggle score has been determined (based on the rules above) THEN you will be assigned a point value. One point to the person with the highest score, 2 to the second highest, etc.... until finally 12 points will be appointed to the person earning the lowest Boggle score.

Hopefully that helps.

I feel like I'm competing in my own decathlon over here!

Ashlee said...

Note to Claudia--I've been trying to be creative about how I can integrate my "9 Ways," but today I'm just fresh out of creativity--I'm saving it for Boggle. So--here it is: REMEMBER THE SCAFFOLDING.

Anonymous said...

Maureen,

Welcome back! I'm glad you liked your ornament. Maybe you can share with us the meaning tomorrow when we reveal.

maureen said...

PEANUT!! I will be happy to post about my new peanut ornament tomorrow! It was my AHA of the day!

Anonymous said...

Shell,

I got my great musical card today with the adorable magnet and Panera card.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It made my day!!!

Anonymous said...

I did my list this morning and saved it to word until I got home this afternoon and saw your answer about e-mail or posting here.

I just sent you my list. YGM!

Anonymous said...

I did my list this morning and saved it to word until I got home this afternoon and saw your answer about e-mail or posting here.

I just sent you my list. YGM!

Anonymous said...

Beenster - I got your email about my post. Did you get the reply I sent you saying I sent it last night? Just wanted to make sure you received it!

Anonymous said...

shell,
thank you for the mint tea bags and the pk of cards w/ the pen.

Layne

Brian K. Root said...

I had a blast with this one, might I say. I love word games, although I only consider myself to be "average" at them.


i'm a big fan of Yahoo's Literati... it's essentially scrabble but different, yet the same. Ha.