Thursday, August 14, 2008

Decathlon Day #4: Feng Shui This!

Highlowaha.com
D*E*C*A*T*H*L*O*N
Day #4
Feng Shui This!

Whereas yesterday we considered concepts of Yin and Yang, today we will work with Chinese principles of Feng Shui.

Based on a general overview from www.librarising.com: 
"The basic principle behind Feng Shui is to manipulate your physical environment in a way that maximizes the positive flow of the universal life force rather than the negative.  This is a done by understanding a few basic principles such as element, color, light, shape, weight, size, and direction.  Basically, light is better than dark, round is better than straight, large is better than small, and light is better than heavy."

So... today we work with the only round item I have in my home, I could assure that you would have in your home.  A toilet paper roll.
Today's decathlon event.  Use your toilet paper roll to create something functional that can be used in your home or office.  A photograph of your entry must be emailed to me (cbeeny@lslog.com) by tonight at 10:00 p.m. (CST).

The Un-sportsmen like Trivia Question of the Day:
What Asian delicacy did Mary Carrillo try to get Bob Costas to eat during last night's Olympic coverage?

Announcements:
Alden and Amy: Check out the latest post made by our very own Olympic correspondents.  Just click on the link, "Amy and Alden," in the top right hand corner of my blog.  Consider leaving a comment, so she knows we're checking in.
Decathlon Standings: Based on the number of entries yesterday, it seems as though we have thirteen decathletes competing, as of today.  Decathlete standings based on yesterday's Yin and Yang event will be posted on Friday morning.  Standings after today's event will be posted on Saturday morning.
Make Your Mark: Please remember to mail me your story of a favorite teacher, along with $5.00.  We are trying to reach 100 stories by August 22.  Stories, coupled with a box of markers will be mailed to randomly selected teachers around the country.
Taste of USA: Katie recruited yet another fun participate to join us in Philly.  Kristen, we are looking forward to meeting you!  Jayme, did we know you lived in the Pittsburgh area?  Does that mean we can expect to see you on Saturday, September 6?  Beekayroot... you too!

Signing off until tomorrow...

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

She tried to get Bob Costas to eat a scorpion.

Katie said...

Yay, Kristen! I can't wait for all of you to meet in Philly!

As for the decatholon, I guess I'm out due to my inability to compete yesterday, but still looking forward to following along with the rest of you!

Also, I know of a Make Your Mark letter that is on its way to you from Prospect!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Katie and others,

You can still compete in daily events, you just won't be competing for the title of Decathlon Champion!

So jump on in there and bust out your hot glue gun.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you knew this or not, but Treye is in for Philly. We'll both be there!

Cheryl Houston said...

Philly is going to be so much fun!! I can't wait!

Cash in your frequent flyer miles and join us!!

Anonymous said...

cheryl- email is sent your way!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yeah, Treye! I didn't know he was in, but I LOVE it! Add another fun name to the list. This is shaping up to be fun of ... highlowaha proportions!

Ashlee said...

Unfortunately I'm out for today's contest...disappointing, but I won't be able to compete in all 10 anyway, as I'll be leaving to take our entire incoming class of students to Builder Camp, our version of Freshman Orientation, by day number 10! But...since it's that time of year, I have to REMEMBER THAT I'M AN EDUCATOR and not be looking for a computer when we're at camp!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Oohhhh... another decathlete bites the dust. Ashlee, we're sorry to see you bow out of our competition, but yes...

You have been heard loud and clear...

Enjoy the time on your retreat. A couple more entries on your part and maybe there will be a package waiting for you upon your return home.

That reminds me... pass along your mailing address. My email is cbeeny@lslog.com

Anonymous said...

Clarification needed:

Are we to use one and only one toilet paper roll or can we use multiple still producing only one entry?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Oooohhh... always one in every crowd... coming up with a question that's gone completely unconsidered.

We will stick with the idea of one and only one toilet paper roll. The fact that you have mutiple rolls, Heather????? ... Does that make you especially full of it? HA! HA! Just kidding. I couldn't resist!

Anonymous said...

Darn! I wasn't planning to ask, just to use several rolls (I managed to find five--whatever that says about me) and hope it would count. Sin now, ask forgiveness later, you know? Oh well, that sort of helps narrow my field of options available for what I make. Now I'm down to two items and have to decide which I can make the most of by tonight.

By the way, thanks to my shell, whoever you are. I'm so excited about starting my scrap journal!

Julie said...

Dear Shell,

You continue to make me smile :) Thank you so much ... I received two very similar looking packages in the mail today ... and from two different locations. You've got me stumped, but I think I may have a thought as to who you are ... but I'll hold my breath until tomorrow!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Julie and others... Saturday is the day we take a stab at guessing our peanuts and shells. You'll have to hold on one more day.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I think I just convinced my husband to travel to Philly the weekend of Sept. 6 to see his family. What area will you be traveling to?

Secondly, my toilet roll creation has been e-mail. YGM!

Anonymous said...

who all competed today?

Claudia you've got mail (and I've got super glued fingers!).

Julie said...

Heather - I sent Dr. B an email :) And, the email had a few pictures ... so count me in as a participant for today!

Brian K. Root said...

My entry is submitted. Simple, but I like it! Can't wait to see everyone else's submissions.

Anonymous said...

My entry has been submitted!

azlori said...

I sent a picture in...hopefully it made it!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yes.. we have received many entries this evening. This will be a fun event for the judges. I will post all the entries one day this weekend so everyone can see what has been created. I think you'll be impressed with the creative company you are keeping.

Jayme... great news about your trying to make it toPhilly. My fingers are crossed. I sent you an email with some more information.

Good job everybody.

Anonymous said...

I'm heading to bed now after staying up WAY past my bedtime to watch the girls finals for gymnastics and I'm SO glad I did...go USA; gold and silver and go North Texas!!!

Anonymous said...

Is it too late to offer a prize inside? I got caught up in women's gymnastics!!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Matt... never too late for a prize inside!