Monday, August 4, 2008

An Olympic-Sized Celebration

10 Events; 10 Winners
1 CHAMPION
5 Days to Go!
We will kick off the opening of the Olympics on 
Friday 8.08.08 at 8:00 p.m. 
www.highlowaha.com  
In honor of Beijing - the host city - I am organizing the blog's first ever 
VIRTUAL DINNER PARTY! 
Join me and the rest of our loyal viewers for Chinese takeout food from your favorite restaurant and front row seats, in your living room, for the 
Opening Ceremonies
XXIX Olympic Games
***************************************************************************************
As much as I would love to stop here and begin getting ready for the festivities, there is too much happening and we have WAY too much ground to cover this week.  If you are a newcomer to our site... hang on tight.  We are fun group, busy, and always welcoming.  It won't be long before you want to jump right in and get in on the action.

Announcements at the end...

We're going to be busy for the next few weeks.  Trust me.  I have some fun in store for us, but it means you'll want your mind (and schedule) to be as clear as possible.  With a blink of the eye it will be the end of August and Grandparents Day will be around the corner.  No self respecting member of the highlowaha community can whip out some shoddy, last minute Grandparents Day treat for people as important as these.  So, mark you calendar now.  Sunday, September 7, 2008 is Grandparents Day and today we're going to look ahead at some creative gift ideas.  That will be one more thing you can tick off your list of important things to do.

I like frameworks.  They help reign me in and keep you from wondering what - if any - method there is to my madness.  Today's framework?  Why grandparents, of course.  We will look at creative gift ideas by delving into each of the word's twelve letters.

Get together for a game of golf.
Rally the family to help with a renovation.
Appear on the front door step with an apple pie... and wearing an apron.
No neckties or needlepoint!  Name a star after them.
Digitize their old photos.
Purchase and plant one of their favorite trees.
Ask and audio-archive the answers to 50 questions.
Replace something worn out.
Establish a new family tradition in their honor.
Notify their local paper and place a newsworthy ad.
Take a picture holding a message of thanks.
Subscribe them to a magazine or a fruit of the month delivery.

But why stop there?  We are highlowaha.  Hear us roar.  We could generate ideas using these letters all day long.  Heck... we could turn this into an Olympic sport.  Keep the ideas coming in today's comment section.

But first some announcements;
  • Tonight the Beeny family used our ice cream maker to test Cassie P's winning ice cream recipe (and I might add, the one for which I placed my vote).  Chocolate ice cream, brownie chunks, chocolate chips, and coconut.  It was a huge hit... even with Ricky who requires caramel in any ice cream he eats and who was skeptical of the coconut.
  • As you know the book club (Reading RAYbow) is up and running.  We are reading the book, The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch.  According to Coordinators, Melanie and Julie, the discussion of the first section will occur later this week.  Be on the look out for updates and announcements from Reading Ray himself. 
  • Christmas Service Project Coordinators (Sue, Brian, and Maureen) will launch the beginnings of the project this week.  They will want your input, so keep your eyes open for a message from them in the daily posts. 
  • Peanuts and Shells.  I hope you all are having as much fun as I am.  If you haven't already - and you get the chance - let us know you're out there and that you have received a treat from your Peanut.  The United States Post Office is not above losing packages and peanuts want to know that treats are actually making it.  As for me... oh yeah.  All last week my morning Starbucks was compliments of my generous Peanut.  Thank you!  You know the way straight to my heart. 
  • To be ready for Friday night's Virtual Dinner Party, stop by your local Chinese restaurant and pick up a menu.  If you're going to invite friends and family, you might want to take orders ahead of time.
Signing off until tomorrow... 

15 comments:

Julie said...

G - go for a walk with them

R - reminisce with them through old picture albums

A - attempt to make them dinner - perhaps your favorite dish that they make

N - never forget to say "I Love You!"

D - develop new memories and tell your grandparents about them - be creative in how you "tell" them

P - plan to visit them at some point (house, nursing home, even the cemetery if necessary)

A - actually make time to pick up the phone and call them

R - recognize these incredible people at "random" times throughout the year (RAK recipients???)

E - enjoy their company

N - NFL season will be here, Grandparents Day is on Sunday

T - tell (remind) cousins and siblings about grandparents day

S - spend time with them.

Reading RAYnbow said...

Today's post is right! The Reading Raynbow book club IS reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch. If the link isn't up and running on the HLA website by 9 pm EST tonight, I'll post another comment with the hyperlink in it, so everyone can see our web page!

Happy Monday!

May a "ray" of sunshine make you smile today!

maureen said...

G-Go visit them unannounced
R-rake the leaves for them!!!
A-arrange a family get together
N-never forget to show them you love them
D-Dont forget to say "thank you"
P-plant a tree in their honor
A-ask them to tell family stories
R-Read to them (if they are no longer able)
E- enjoy the time you spend with them
N-new family tradition
T-teach them to post to HLA (HINT for Claudia)
S- show them how important they are to you

I just wanted to tell you that the most favorite gift I gave my parents on "Grandparents Day" was a family portrait of all the grandchildren. They loved it and now that I think about it its time to retake one. We will do it at my daughters "Sweet 16". Grandparents love nothing more than "your time".
I wish I still had mine..........

maureen said...

READING RAYNBOW.... I wasn't going to participate in the book club because I am reading so many things already but I am off to Barnes and Nobles to get the book. I hate feeling left out......

Anonymous said...

Thanks to my Peanut I'm enjoying the beads from Michael's as well as the gift card which I (of course) used to purchase even MORE beads!!

Make it a GREAT day everyone!!

Anonymous said...

I don't have my grandparents anymore, but Lucian does, so I think we're going to try to put together a little Shutterfly photo album of his first six months for them, since Grandparent's Day falls exactly on his six-month birthday. Can't go wrong with pictures!

Anonymous said...

I'll do gifts you can give from afar since all of Lily's Grandparents live over 14 hours away now.
Here goes nothing:
G-gift basket
R-Regular phone calls...nothing is better in their minds
A-Agree to a visit on an upcoming date
N-Ninety nine reasons I love my Grandparents poem from the kids
D-Delivery of pizza for dinner (you can pay by credit card and have their favorite pizza delivered to their door)
P-Pictures of course!
A-Artwork from child
R-Recording of child's voice
E-Entertainment Book (full of coupons for all the great places in town)
N-New treat jar for their house
T-T-shirt that says Best Grandma (pa) Hands Down! on it personalized with child's handprints
S-Something special just you would understand

Katie said...

Just checking in really quickly on a break from training (boy, I sure do miss being a regular on here! Have no fear though, I'm having a TON of fun, too!).

On Friday night I will not be able to join you all at 8 for the dinner party because I will be in the throws of team builing with my staff for the first time that evening. However, the VCR is already set to record the opening ceremonies and I will be eating my dinner while watching! I guess now, I'll just have to make sure it's chinese!!

As for Grandparent's Day. I know for my grandparents their favorite thing is just to see pictures of what I'm doing. Now that this is my 5th year away from home and I have never lived near my maternal grandparents, I know they enjoy being able to see what I'm up to! I know this will be particularly perfect this year as they're certainly interested in what my new 'digs' look like! I guess some pictures, a nice card, and a phone call will be PERFECT for me this year!

Chaotic Kristi said...

my peanut has been sending me wonnderful goodie filled envelopes! I am just giddy...spent Friday putting the 2nd one to GRAND use!

Cheryl Houston said...

I'm so glad to be home but I need a vacation from my vacation! :)

I think I will have the boys draw a picture of what they like to do most with each set of their grandparents and send it off in the mail. :) I love to see how JB draws his grandparents. It's funny.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank my peanut for the Target card to buy a book. Can't wait to go and buy one. For my peanut keep looking in the mail you will be receiving a gift card that you will enjoy very much. Enjoy your frappuccino.

Kat said...

Ugh! I can't do the virtual dinner party. We get takeout every single Friday night, but we have other plans this coming one. :-( It think it is a fabulous idea though!

lilly said...

I wonder how many of us have "honorary grandparents?" There is an older Gentleman who walks every morning in our neighborhood. We'd see him walking on our way to school. When I took a few mintues to talk I found out he and his brother parachuted into Burma during WWII. Amazing. I never really knew my own grandparents. But I had a great aunt who cooked wonderful german food, took us to Octoberfest and Wurstfest in New Braunfels. I also "adopted" my husbands grandparents. I treasure every letter sent by grandma rachel. No one writes like she does... encourageing, humorous, detailing everything from the weather to what Shirley Temple movie she just watched at the Senior Center. I think the respect of listening is one of the best gifts we can give.

Reading RAYnbow said...

Hello HLA Community!

As promised, here is the hyper-link to our Book Club:

http://readingraynbow.blogspot.com/

Please know that very soon we will be having a permanent link on the HLA main page :)

Cheryl Houston said...

Peanut- thank you for my wine glass! It is so cute! It arrived safe and sound!