Saturday, October 25, 2008

Batman Strikes Again...


When I was a kid the neighbors on Hollywood Avenue would sit outside and wait to see what remarkable Halloween costumes the three Kamhi girls were wearing.  They were always special, always ingenious, and always homemade.  Some of the costumes I remember were characters such Pinocchio (with a long paper mache nose), Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel (with a handmade wig that reached the floor), a chef, a cook, an artist; and a scarecrow to name a few.

The older I got the more proud I became of our costumes and of the spectacle they became to the neighbors who waited in anticipation.

If I being really truthful, it made me more than proud.  It made me a Halloween costume snob. I would excitedly hunker down in my apartment on Halloween night, in my 20s and early 30s, waiting for trick or treaters to knock on my door.  Of course anyone who rang the door bell got candy, but the kids with great (code for homemade costumes) got an extra candy bar or the really good stuff (Milk Ways or Snickers) instead of the second rate treats like candy corn.  I was indignant, knowing that one day I would have my own kids and they, for sure, would be sporting homemade costumes and scoring all kinds of Milky Way and Snickers bars.

Then I met Richard and Ricky and all of a sudden I was going to get to put my money where my mouth was.  The first time I participated in one of Ricky's Halloweens, Richard and I weren't married yet and  I had no say in the store bought Harry Potter costume he pranced around the living room showing off.  I have NO idea how to sew, so the next year I supplied my mom with all the supplies and she made Ricky an unbelievably detailed Indian costume.  The whole costume was topped off with a pair of moccasins  and a bow and arrow.  I did it!  My first Halloween with a child and Ricky had a costume worth remarking on.  The next three years I hired a local woman to make Ricky his costumes - Dracula, a pirate, and the Grim Reaper.

Fast forward five years.  On Wednesday, October 22, Matthew's polyester Batman costume arrived in the mail.  He's been wearing it ever since, flying from room to room saving family members from scary bad guys.  I never learned how to work a sewing machine and though I've mastered the hot glue gun, I haven't yet employed it to create the boys a Halloween costume.  

Here's my "aha."  Halloween is not about me.  It's about my boys.  It's my pride, my ego, and my desire to have my kids "ooohd and aaahd" over that makes a homemade costume feel important.  It has nothing to do with them.  Matthew thinks being Batman for Halloween - polyester cape, mask, and all - is the coolest, greatest, most awesome thing EVER. He changes in and out of that costume 4 or 5 times a day, showing it to everyone and practicing his Batman moves.  He thinks his room is Gotham City, Jack is Robin, dad is The Joker, Ricky the Riddler, and I'm Cat Woman (remember this is his imagination at work).  

Here's the point.  There is absolutely no costume that I could work and toil over that would excite Matthew as much as the Batman costume he will be wearing this year.  Imposing my need for a homemade costume on a young child who doesn't value it, just so some third party adults will think I am super mom is... well... selfish.   It says more about my need for affirmation than it does about anything else.

No.  I am not super mom and my children will be wearing store bought Halloween costumes when they go trick or treating this year.  No one will be "ooohing" and "aaahing" over the craftsmanship of their costumes and admiring the devoted woman behind their outfits.  To the rest of the world my boys will look ordinary and their trick or treat buckets will probably be filled with far more Candy Corn than Snickers.  But, Matthew feels as big as Batman... super powers and all.  That's gotta be worth the $28.99 his costume cost.

So today my high, my low, and my aha are intertwined.  My high is watching Matthew fly around the house - cape floating - imagining he is Batman.  My low is letting go of a lifelong belief that homemade costumes are better than store bought costumes.  And, my "aha" is that the selflessness involved in allowing Matthew to have a costume that excites HIM is actually way harder to come by than the selfishness of imposing a costume on Matthew that might make me look good. 

Signing off until tomorrow.  The Bat Mobile just pulled into my kitchen.

P.S.  Peanuts won - 8 votes to 4 votes.  Good luck Melanie and Treye.

5 comments:

Peggy said...

Very cute picture! Very fun story!!

High -I got my first paycheck working my new temp job. I felt validated! I might have to work on the economy this weekend.

Low - arguments with the 13 yo Sissy ... OMG! Like everything is a major drama, like, and her emotions are like, UP and down... always when I pick her up from school!!

Aha - wow, it's amazing how many people need to vent... and I'm suppose to understand when I should just listen, or they actually want me to help

PS we actually had a patient this week who is 106 ... sad to say, they didn't stop at reception to make their follow up appointment... the woman has been on Social security since 1968!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Good morning. Halloween is special in our house because it's also Drew's birthday. I always want the boys to be a theme like when they were 2 and 3 I dressed them up like Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. The next year I wanted them to be Buzz and Woody but they both wanted to be Buzz. So two Buzz's it was. Ha. That rhymes.

So, I gave up on the theme idea and we've been a dracula, Power Ranger, Storm Trooper, Darth Vader, Spider Man and the Mr. Incredible. All store bought costumes. All did their job. This year I refused to buy the $30 mummy costumes with the masks they won't wear. I went to Joann's last week and bought a ton of cheese cloth, a white shirt, sweat pants and face paint. I know they're not going to be Kamhi Spectacular, but we're going to give a shot. Which reminds... we need to get busy.

JB just added I like the store bought costume better. me: rolling eyes. Too late to change now. I'm going with it.

Have a great Saturday!

Anonymous said...

You know how much I love Halloween, CKB, and while I think you make an excellent point about Halloween being about children and their imaginations, not about the costumes, I also really appreciate the charm and allure of the homemade costume. And this year--perhaps this year only--I'm indulging my need to make Lucian's costume. He's oblivious, of course, but I've always imagined my first Halloween with a child as something really special, and I want to make his costume at least this once. I'm knitting a Baby Yoda hat and sweater (both of which can be worn again in the cold weather--so there's a practical side to this whole thing). And he's too young to go trick- or-treating, so we're going to a Halloween party (if he's out of the hospital by Friday--and if not, we'll do whatever they do for the kids there). Wherever we are, I'm sure it will be more about my pride in having such an adorable baby in an adorable costume that I made myself than it will be about him caring about or even knowing what he's wearing. But for this year, I'm indulging myself because I've been dreaming about my first Halloween as a mom for pretty much my entire adult life. When he's old enough to have a preference about his costume, I'm sure he'll still be the cutest kid ever as far as I'm concerned, whether or not his costume is store-bought. Enjoy your time with Batman!

maureen said...

Claudia, taking sewing in JHS was the best thing that happened to our Halloween. As a kid I remember either always having to be a gypsy (because you could just use stuff around the house) or buying a box costume at Virginia Variety on Northern. The boxed costumes came with a plastic mask that you kept on top of your head because you couldnt breathe.

Ever since my kids were born I have been sewing my costumes. One day I will make a scrapbook of all the costumes I made.

Michael has been a pirate( wel loved this one the best boots and all), Fred Flintstone, a football player, 101 Dalmation Puppy, A lion, and of course a Ninja among a million others

Krysten has been a witch several times, a princess , an old lady, Princess Jazmine (the costume was all exotic silks it was "breathtaking", a pumpkin,Princess Diana,Dorothy

Melissa has been Belle from Beauty and the Beast, a Renaissance Maiden, a witch, Glinda the Good Witch, Tinkerbelle (my favorite)

The best part was being in NY it gets cold by Halloween and most kids need to layer. I was able to make the costumes so my kids were warm and didnt need a coat.

I am going to Jo Anns today to get the material for Melissa's costume, I will send a pic.

My kids hated that I made their costumes until they took home all the 1st prizes when they went to parties at school.

High...Krysten cleaned her room!!!

Low... Now I have a lot of laundry from her room

Aha... her carpet is actually PINK LOL

Have a great weekend !

Anonymous said...

I'm baaaack!!! HEHE, had to check in now that family weekend is over!

HIGH: family weekend
LOW: family weekend
AHA: family weekend

!!!!!!