Monday, October 27, 2008

Do Over

A few years ago a good friend of mine called to vent about the a less-than-perfect attempt her husband made at celebrating her birthday.  No forethought, no dinner plans, no nothing.  In fact - if my memory serves me correctly, her husband even scheduled a minor medical treatment for that weekend (but not so minor that he wouldn't be laid up for a couple of days).  We agreed her best course of action was not to come completely unhinged, but instead to simply inform him he was being granted a "do-over."  The "do-over" is recognition that what's done is done and that sometimes things don't go as planned.  Rather than dwelling on past imperfections, a do-over focuses on the opportunity to make things right in the future.

Today I want a do-over.  Actually I need two do-overs.

First, I need a do-over of Saturday night's Random Acts of Kindness Party.  By most accounts the party was a success.  Everyone expected was able to attend.  The table was chock FULL of treats, the food was good, friendships were being forged, and, by my estimation, 34 random acts of kindness were boxed up and made ready for delivery.  But, I have notta one picture to share with you!  UGH!  I took my memory card out of my camera on Saturday morning to post the picture of Matthew in his Batman costume and, in all the confusion, I forgot to put it back in my camera.  Not one picture of all the fun treats, vibrant colors, impressive packaging, and smiling faces.  I am so frustrated!

So... you'll have to take my word for it, unless Heather, Cheryl, Erica, or any of the other participants who are visiting today, wants to chime in.

That is my first do-over.  Now the second.  

The Blog-a-thon that never happened.  If you tuned in last week, you might already know the Blog-a-thon Do-over is planned for Wednesday, November 5.  You might also have heard we are shortening the length of the Blog-a-thon, so that it will only last twelve hours - as opposed to the originally planned twenty-for hours.  The Do-Over Blog-a-thon will run from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m... CENTRAL STANDARD TIME!

Of course the down side to the re-vamped schedule is that, rather than raising close to $1,500.00, we will -at best - raise $720.00 for the Helping Hand family we adopted this holiday season.  For more about the service project, please click on Helping Hands listed in the top right hand corner of our blog (under #218's Hot Spots). 

The real beauty of this do-over is that in addition to my getting a second chance, so do all of YOU!!!  If you were unable to sign up for the original Blog-a-thon, hopefully the new schedule will work for you (and your friends).  Highlowaha is seeking 48 people - each to sign up for one 15-minute block of time.  During that 15-minute period of time, blog-a-thon participants will help compose a scary story.  It does not mean participants must write for the full 15 minutes, it just means that at some point during your designated 15-minute period of time, you must contribute something to the story. 

A reminder of how the Blog-a-thon will serve as a fundraiser.  Ideally, each of the 48 participants will acquire a minimum of one sponsorship for $1.00 per minute.  Again, if each participant was successful we could raise $720.00 for the family.  If $1.00 per minute is too much, we will take whatever your sponsor considers doable.  Checks should be sent to me, so I can reconcile the money and send Tera one money order for the total amount.  My mailing address is 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, Texas 76051.  

Announcements:
  • Blog-a-thon: Sign up for your 15-minute time slot by posting a comment under today's comment section.  I will add to the master calendar which you can view by clicking on Blog-a-thon (located in the top right, under 218 Hot Spots).  When you make a post with your ideal time, please remember we are scheduling people based on CENTRAL STANDARD TIME.  Please calculate the time difference when you post your requested time.
  • Pumpkin Patch:  Remember to send CSPgrad a picture of your carved pumpkin by Wednesday, October 29 at 5:00 p.m.  On Friday we will host a Pumpkin Carving Contest.  All participants will receive a pumpkin patch for your Patchwork denim.  See the post titled, Patchwork 8/7, for more details.  The winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest will receive a fun Halloween accessory to give you a jump on next year.
  • Making Good: Between bobbing for apples and a couple other contests, I feel like I need to assure I am making good on all my promises.  Check this out and tell me if I've left you out.  I think everyone who is waiting to receive something from me has, EXCEPT... Brian you are waiting for your apple of quotes.  Cassie you are waiting for your cookies. Heather I still need to conduct an act of kindness in your name.  Amy your random act was performed last week when I left a painted pot of baked goods for a fellow "swim mom."  Nicole, one of my Random Act of Kindness packages from Saturday night will be sent in honor of YOU!
  • Countdown to the Super Bowl:  The secret ingredient for this week's showdown is the peanut.  Good luck to Treye and Melanie who will duking it out... along with Green Bay and the Chicago Bears.  
Now let's hope this Monday gets off to a good start, so I don't need yet another do-over.

Signing off until tomorrow...

15 comments:

Peggy said...

Wow, I get to leave a comment first... was there no question? no funny puzzle to solve? hmmm, I don't know what to say!!

Have a great Monday, and a great week!!!

Boo!

Anonymous said...

I will take 7:30p for the blog-a-thon!!!

YAY cookies! hehe

have a great day everyone!

PS dr. b- my family weekend pics are up on my facebook. Samantha and I made picture frames with the mod podge i promised i would try last week!!! check them out!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Peggy... you could have been the VERY first person to sign up for the blog-a-thon! Now yo'll have to settle for second, third, or fourth.

Cassie, thanks for getting us off to a good start. Also, congratulations on a more than successful Family Weekend. I have heard from more than one source what a FANTASTIC weekend it was!

Katie said...

I'll take the 7 pm slot for the Blog-a-thon.

Congrats again, Cass! It was sooooo good to see you this weekend!

Cheryl Houston said...

OH NO!!! You took so many pictures!! The party was so much fun! The food was delicious as always- thank you Richard. Claudia did a spectacular job putting out all the goodies and providing different stations. And what a great group! It's always fun to meet new people.

When I left Claudia's house at 9:30 I was not done with my packages. I still needed to put notes inside and I was still working on the outside. I took pictures of my finished products and I will email them to you tonight, Claudia. I painted on the address with the tubed paint with tips and I'm just so happy with the way they turned out. I'm mailing them off today.

Blog-a-thon... I will take the 9:30pm slot.

Cassie- I checked out your photos on Facebook and it looked like a fabulous event!

Anonymous said...

Ha - I'm still waiting for my "do-over" birthday that he oes me. Not to sound petty or anything.

Blog-a-thon - Let me check with Daniel on what time is good for him. I know it will have to be after school so probably 4:30 or 5:00. Do you still want me to do what we discussed for the previously scheduled blog a thon? Also, is the theme still scary story? Depending on which presidential candidate wins, it could be truly scary...hehehe.
Susan

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl... yes... send your pictures along. I would love to post them. And, since your packages will be among the best produced that night, it will give readers a good idea of what we were doing.

Susan... I wasn't going to blow your cover, but now that you've come forward... yes, it was Susan's husband so desperately in need of the do-over. Note, though. I think there should be some sort of statute of limitations, so that the do-over must occur within some designated window of time.

Yes, to you and the Blog-a-thon and yes, to Daniel taking an after school slot.

Thanks for all the support so far, everyone!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

A quick recap .

These are the times for which I already have people signed up. REMEMBER! these times are Central Standard Time!!!!!

Susan: 10:15 a.m.
Daniel: 4:30 p.m.
Katie: 7:00p.m.
Cassie P: 7:30 p.m.
Cheryl: 9:30 p.m.

Anonymous said...

CST - so, that makes me 11:15 my time. Right? You know how confused I get with these time changes, ugh.

Oh and when is my football thingy? I forgot to put it on the calendar.

Now, I really need to get off the computer. I think I hear the dryer calling my name.
Susan

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Susan...

Yes, 11:15 your time is correct (and if Daniel goes with a 4:30 slot, it would actually be 5:30 your time. Tell me if you need me to move to 4:30 your time!

Also, the date for your Countdown to the Super Bowl is November 30. You go up against the very capable Heather. That will be a throw down worth tuning in to.

maureen said...

Claudia give me whatever works for you I will work my schedule around it. Can Krysten have 530PM which is 630 here?

As for the memory card..... Cant you hook your camera up to your computer and dl the pictures that you did take? Any camera I owned can be hooked up right to the comp. They give you a wire with the camera to do it. If not feel better knowing I have done it a bunch of times.

Have a great day everyone. I have to take a pic of the perfect fall colors around here and send you a piece of NY. Its so pretty around here!

Anonymous said...

CKB...RELAX...I know that I took several pictures that night (mostly of the table filled with treats and all the decorating tables) and I seem to recall that at least one other person was taking pictures.
I'll send what I have your way so that you have something!

I'm busy and this is the first time I've actually made it through the blog...I'll post more later with blog-a-thon time etc...

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Maureen... thanks for claiming times for the blog-a-thon.

I have Krysten down for 5:30 p.m. CST. Perfect.

You are conscientious and creative, so I have you down for 10:30, immediately after our very own Susan-eventual award winning author - gets us going. I say, "eventual," because she has books written, but must now just get up the uummph to submit.

Anonymous said...

Hi.....I'll take sometime between 12 and 2 my time (so I think 11 and 1 your time?). Treye may still be able to take the last spot if you want.

Also...any chance you can write up a blurb about the Blog A Thon so that I can send it along to my family and friends to see if they'll participate? If we're all sending something similar, it may be helpful.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Tera... Great. I will put you down at 11:00 CST and tentatively put Treye down for 9:45 and 10:00 p.m. CST.

Treye if you are out there and reading this... remember, I thought wrapping up the story would take 30 minutes - as opposed to everyone else's 15 minute block.

Let me know if the times work for you.