Friday, October 24, 2008

Packaging from A-Z

Is it funny or what?  Today is Friday - Free for all Friday.  For those of you who have forgotten, or who are new to the game, this is the day of the week when we open up the blog to brainstorm anything and everything of interest to you.

Heading into the day with a full docket of things to talk about (ie. six letters worth of packaging materials) goes a little against the grain.  As it happens, these last six letters have proved tough for me.  It's not that I came up completely dry.  I kind of thought "U" could stand for a unique signature or symbol that people will automatically associate with you and your packages.  I thought "V" could be vellum paper; "W" could be a wax seal; "X" if I'm stretching it could be an x-acto blade; "Y" I'm not sure; and "Z" could either be ziploc bags for storing opened bags of shred or "ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz" for all the sleep you'll need after experimenting with letters A-Y.

I wasn't completely tapped out of ideas, but on a scale of 1-10 - with 10 being the winningest idea and 1 being "showed up," I give myself a "1."  Lucky for me, it's Friday - the day meant for me to talk a little less and to listen a little more.  So, today I will sit back with my bucket of bon bons, put my feet up, and listen to what ideas you have for which products or tools, corresponding with the last six letters of the alphabet, can be used to enhance our gift wrapping.

Lest you think I'm checking out, I'm not.  I'm taking careful note and preparing to run out for any last minute "must have's" before Saturday night's Eighteenth Annual Random Acts of Kindness Packaging Party.  Party goers are prepared to put together 3-4 festive packages for unsuspecting people with whom they would like to reconnect (or even get to know).  Each person attending will be a dozen of some small treat to be placed on a community table and shared with the other party goers who will do the same.  I will supply the A-Zs of packaging essentials, including everything from boxes to envelopes, tissue paper, ribbon, stickers, and notecards.  We will eat dinner, mix and mingle, and and - with love and care - put together packages for people who are on our minds.  For more about this idea, check out the post from 2/20/08, titled, "Birds of a Feather..."

I'm reserving one of my care packages for someone truly random.  For someone that one of you knows and you thinks is deserving.  I don't have a smart way for determining who that might be, so I figure I will get select name from a reader who makes a post today.  If you make suggestions today for letters "U" through "Z," I will put your names in a hat and then select one of you to give me the name and address of someone you would like to receive a package made at Saturday's Random Act of Kindness.  

But that's not all we have to decide on today.  Today we must also look ahead to next week's showdown between Treye and Melanie in the Foot ball Snack Throw Down.  Here's a little recap of where we've been...
Richard versus Brian: Secret Ingredient: Bacon, winner Richard
Julie versus Nicole: Secret Ingredient: Vanilla, winner Nicole
Maureen versus Katie: Secret Ingredient: Nutmeg, winner Maureen

This secret ingredients we are voting on today are... (drum roll, please...)

Peanuts or Coconut

Final Announcement
  • Congratulations, Cheryl who was the winner of yesterday's drawing.  Cheryl will win a small box of raffia, ribbon, and rubber cement.

12 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Sorry I was so late today. I have been fighting terrible allergies and last night was not a good night of sleep.

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

I vote for peanuts.

Hope you feel better Claudia!

azlori said...

I vote coconut...bit of a sweet tooth this am! I will throw a name in the hat for a cute package...Samantha Frank. She is Jake's soccer coach and dealing with a little parental turmoil right now. I think it would be nice for her to have something unexpected like that! Have togo for now..last day of parent/teacher conferences!
Happy Friday HLA!

Peggy said...

Peanut for me please!

Do we ever get to review the winning recipes?? I'd love to add them to my homemade recipe book!!

U - underwear ... for a hockey party,(2 years ago) all the boys were to bring a pair of boxers (for a boy they picked out of a hat)... it was hilarious and fun to see how many different kinds of boxers are out there!!! My son (shamely) still wears his Homer Simpson Christmas boxers!! Think about giving a lady friend a THONG!

V - video, for the movie lover... you can buy these so cheap now ($5 on the endcaps at Target)... wrap up 2 or 3 with a microwave popcorn bag, some crystal light packets and a box of juju bees(?) Two thumbs up!!

W - wall paper - you can wrap a box with it, make treat bags... stamp on them... often Home stores have wall paper on clearance...if you can find a flocked one or simple design... perfect, sturdy wrapping paper. If you want to know how to make a gift bag...I'll give more details @ prdesigns1@sbcglobal.net

X - XL letters that are on cute sweatshirts that make it seem like you are part of the team - why not give someone a sweatshirt from Steve & Barry's (so reasonable) with their favorite college team

Y - Yard Stick, a great helper when tearing wrapping paper, it can help you measure out exact amounts of ribbon, and you can hit the person next to you if they are three feet away!

Z - zig-zag stitch... I do use my sewing maching on my cards... since I'm not sewing costumes or curtains... why not... they add such a cool touch and zig zagging is fun to say!

(ps I'm not working today, so I'm being silly!!)

Cheryl Houston said...

Yay me! :)

Here is my attempt at U-Z:
U- Unite. Unite yourself with a new or old friend.
V- Variety. Have a variety of items. Or, Vintage as a theme.
W- Wood. Send in a wood box. Or Wire could make a cool design wrapped around a box.
X- I saw something called a Xyron that makes die cuts or something. Claudia already said X-acto and it is a necessary item.
Y- Yarn. Maybe in the place of ribbon.
Z- Zipper. Draw it or for the sewing experts- sew it!

As for putting someone in for the RAK drawing- I would like to nominate Jodie Flint. I don't know Jodie. I've never met her. Her husband works in my office and I really don't know him that well either since he works in another department. The reason I would like to nominate Jodie is because her and Joel's 4 year old (I think she's 4)daughter, Jordan has cancer. I read about Jordan at their Caring Bridge Site each week and some days it brings me to tears. Jordan is such a cutie. I can't bring myself to say anything to Joel in the office because I would probably start crying. I know they are doing it all with the help of their friends and family but I still ask myself "How do they do it?" If you would like to see a picture and read about Jordan you can go to: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jordanflint

Anonymous said...

Dr. B-
I've been lurking all week, but figured I should vote on the secret ingredient.

I'm going to vote for coconut - not really sure what I'm going to do with it, but it I like coconut!

Cheryl Houston said...

I forgot to vote. I vote for Coconut just because I don't want to use it in my week.

Anonymous said...

I vote for peanuts...just to be difficult with Treye :)

Z - zig-zag scissors...and other fun scissors. You can do so much with them. I LOVE the ones Heather mailed me as my Bingo prize.

Also...I've read the suggestions for RAK packages. I think that if Claudia doesn't pick your name, each of you should send your person a RAK box! It may take some time and a few bucks, but it'll mean so much to those receiving it. I hope you all take time to send your packages. I sent mine last week to all of my old coworkers at Gannon...they loved it!

Anonymous said...

Hmm - peanut. I would vote more, but I've got to clean the house before guests arrive.
Good luck all.

Anonymous said...

Peanut please

maureen said...

I vote for peanuts!!!!

Im tapped out on the alphabet. Been typing all day and i am tired. Just wanted to place my vote and tell Claudia to take it easy and feel better. I will see you in two weeks. We are soooo looking forward to getting out with adults. Just be prepared its cold here in NY.

Have a great day everyone!!!!!

Anonymous said...

peanuts

U- underlining the address in a fun color instead of the standard black lines on the envelope from the post office.
V-vellum...I know you said it already but I love using vellum for the effect of wings for bees or butterflies.

W-wacky items that can create a signature look

X-x-tras of everything from A-Z

Y-You...every package should have a little of you invested to make it truly special.

Z-zest! As in pizzazz!