Friday, October 3, 2008

Free for All Friday: But first...


There's a special irony to today's post that deserves some explanation.

I grew up in New York with a father who is Jewish and a mother who is Catholic. That is to say, my family never really participated in formal religious activity. I did, however, go to a Catholic school for a period of time and we did celebrate Christian holidays (Christmas and Easter). We never really celebrated Jewish holidays, though every year at Passover, we looked forward to my grandmother's matzah. Warm with maple syrup... PERFECT!

The other thing we never did was have a pet. Wait... not totally true. My father - the consummate environmentalist - had a large fish tank in his basement office for a while. I think he liked it because it brought the outside world inside. I can't quite remember when it went away. I seem to remember more years without the fish tank around than with it around. That fish tank was our only run at pet ownership. No dogs, no cats, no guinea pigs, not even a pet rock. Consequently, there is no "pet-gene" embedded in my DNA. If I didn't have a pet, my life would be complete, but I certainly acknowledge our home is a warmer, cozier place because of our dog, May Day

The combination of my non-religious, non-pet-owning upbringing is what makes today's post so ironic. Today we celebrate Blessing of the Animals. The only reason I even know about Blessing of the Animals is because I spent four years working at a small Catholic school in Louisville. The Campus Minister, in conjunction with the president of the University, coordinated an annual event in the quad. Students, faculty, staff, and surrounding community members were encouraged to bring their pets to campus in late afternoon, so the pets could be blessed. The event is in honor of a patron saint, I think (already, I am feeling out of my league). Nonetheless...a fun event and one I thought we should acknowledge.

If yesterday was about getting to know your cars, today is about getting to know your pets. As requested, many of you submitted pictures of your pets and through the power and skill of CSPgrad, we have turned them into a slide show for your viewing pleasure. We'll have two kinds of fun with these pet pictures.
  • First, we'll vote on the Cutest Pet. Each picture has a number, so just post the number of the pet you find cutest in the comment section. The winning pet will receive a treat in the mail.
  • Second, and for a much more elaborate gift, we will play Pet Match. We will have a contest to see who can match up the most pets with their correct owners. Below is a list of people who submitted pictures and as noted earlier, the photos are all numbered. To play, just list name with a corresponding number.
Pet Owners:
Peggy
Lori (3 pets)
Cassie (2 pets)
Tera and Treye
Susan
Heather
Chaotic
Maureen (2 pets)
Claudia
Brian
The winner of contest #2 will win a great present... especially in light of the Christmas holiday coming up! My good friend, Sherry A, is an artist and professional photographer. She will take favorite photos of your dogs and cats, etc, provided by you, ... and transform them into works of art - Warhol Style!

Pets... the first of many things you can "Free For All" about.

Next. Don't forget to place your bet on this weekend's Green Bay game and to wish Julie and Nicole luck in their face-off. Julie and Nicole, if you're out there... tell us what you submitted. Inquiring minds can't wait until Sunday!

Next... I ran into a friend today and she asked for a consultation (informal and on the side walk, not come-in-to-the-office-I-don't-have type consultation). Her daughter is having a bar mitzvah (or is it bat mitzvah, because she's a girl. Again, out of my league). Anyway, she is looking for inexpensive centerpiece ideas. Much like Maureen's daughter's Sweet 16, costs are getting out of hand. The daughter's mom is looking for something nice, but not exorbitant (like the suggested dozen roses per table). This woman is practical, so something useful/reusable is all the better. Here's what we know. Her daughter likes roses, boxed chocolates, and cupcakes. That's what we have to work with. I told her this was a task for Highlowaha. Surely we can come up with something.

Next. For the month of October, we will celebrate Friday's as Freaky Fridays.... starting next week, when we do a "Freaky Free For All" of our favorite Halloween tricks, treats, decorations, centerpieces, etc... My hope, if everyone participates, is we can come up with a fun list of Highlowaha Favorites. While you're out and about this weekend keep your eyes open for the next best Halloween item. Be ready to share it NEXT FRIDAY, during Free for All Freaky Friday.

Announcements
  • Daily Halloween Activity: Celebrate along with the Beeny family. Today's activity is to Warp the Witch. Visit this website http://blackdog.net/holiday/halloween/warp/index.html
  • Host Ray: Baker Ray has been hanging out in Shaker Heights, Ohio for the last few weeks. He's looking for a new home. Someone willing to bake a batch of Ray cookies and distribute to friends, neighbors, colleagues, a book club, fellow soccer or baseball moms, etc... Ray's looking for his next great adventure. If you're interested, please let us know, so Tera can mail you the Ray cookie cutter and other supplies.
  • BOO: Though we didn't get any takers when we "BOO"ed other blog sites, I still think it's fun. I will continue doing one a day until Halloween. Will you join me?
  • Post Office Prank: Tuesday's the day! We've had some fun ideas floating around. A box of cake mix, candles, a container of frosting.... Do you have your idea yet? Confused and don't know what we're talking about? See Monday's post (9/29).
  • Wacky Wednedsay: Thanks for all the suggestions in response to last week's post, Breakfast in Bed.. Now That's Wacky! (9/27). Issac and Matthew ended up carrying fishing rods with fish on the ends through the swim center. Matthew had the words, "Gone Fishin" on his belly and Issac's belly said, "Happy Wacky Wednesday!"
  • Blog-a-thon: Still looking for people willing to be on the blog for 15 minutes on Friday, October 24. We have a long way to go before we fill the 96 slots necessary. Remember, this is a fundraiser for Sue, Brian, and Maureen's Helping Hand Project. Click on the Helping Hand link to learn more.
Phew... signing off until tomorrow...

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

My computer's acting funny ... this is Julie

Mum's the word on my part until I know that my contribution to Sunday's festivities safely made it to IL. Needless to say ... I had some complications and events while at the post office! Strubles ... did you get my package in the mail yet?

Anonymous said...

A note on the animal guessing contest.
I think we should send our submission to CKB via email as otherwise whoever waits until the end of the day can compile everyone's answers to have their correct answer.

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

My vote is for #6.

maureen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
maureen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Maureen,

I had to delete your first comment of the day, because you revealed which pets were yours. One of the contests requires readers to guess which pet belongs to which reader.

Only the early, early risers had a chance at seeing it.

maureen said...

Ok DUH!!! I should wait until I have coffee before posting. Sorry:)

I vote for #11

My daughters and I would love to have Ray for a few days. We would love to pass along some cookies and maybe we can incorporate the cookies into our BOOing bags. Sounds like fun!

When do we start guessing and how?As for the centerpieces... I make chocolate long stem roses each year for all the men in my family to give their wives or girlfriends on Valentines day. You can make long stem choc. roses put clear cellophane around the top, tie a ribbon coordinating with her theme color and a ribbon with her name and date of event and put them all in a beautiful clear vase with glass beads at the bottom and the roses can be a favor and the vase can go to someone at the table that has the nearest birthday etc.

I once saw a cupcake stand with gorgeous cupcakes displayed in it on a table with balloons attached and it was used as a centerpiece on some of the tables. The only expensive part would be the cupcake stands but you can probably find them online for a good price.

My daughters Sweet 16 theme is "Night at the Oscars" we are doing the table arrangements to match the theme. Her gown is ice blue and her colors at the party are steel blue, silver and black. Each table will have a different name, one will be "Best Supporting Actor", "Best Horror Movie", Best Independent Film" etc. I dont know if this helps, I know how crazy these parties get..... Good Luck!

Anonymous said...

I vote for #3

Green Bay 24 to Atlanta Falcons 13

Maureen, you can send your guesses to Claudia's email so that others don't know which pets are yours.

ideas for the centerpieces? Those great cupcake stands you found at Joann Fabrics...the cupcakes inside could be her birthday cake and they are certainly reusable! Those with some fun confetti, curled ribbon and balloons would look great.

Cheryl Houston said...

Whew! A lot to do today.

I just have a minute before I type a memo.

I've warped a witch.
I Boo-d two more sites this morning. Come on Kuj & Trish!
I need to speak with my football consultant on the score for the game.
Someone remind me what ingredient is in this weeks game.
I vote #1 as the cutest pet.

What does that leave?
Pet match up. Bat Mitzvah. I know what I'm sending for the Post Ofc Prank but I have to get it this weekend. I'm going to try to get a card out today.

Okay. I'll be back.

Brian K. Root said...

Centerpiece idea... Get some of those small, round fishbowls; then fill them with water (you could even color the water) and put a floating candle in the fishbowl.

Brian K. Root said...

My vote is for number 4.

Cheryl Houston said...

My football score for this week is Atlanta wins 19-17.

Brian K. Root said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Score for the game: 24-17, GB wins

Cheryl Houston said...

ooh... what about putting gold fish in the bowls?

What if you buy that cupcake book (or borrow Claudia's) for different cupcake decoration ideas and base a them around that.

Check out a picture here:
http://food.blogdig.net/archives/articles
/October2008/01/Our_signature_rose_cupcakes.html

I had to enter a retun after articles to make that print. Kind of elaborate. Okay... think simple.

What about a grouping of bud vases with roses in them? She could get as many or as few as she could afford...

Cheryl Houston said...

Please go back to:

http://www.highlowaha.com/2008/10/bunny-bunny-boo-and-bailouts-oh-my.html

I got a Boo-taker! GO KUJ! If you have a free moment please leave a comment on her site.

Anonymous said...

Julie.....the package has arrived. Purchase 1 complete. Purchase 2, will be completed tomorrow. I think you are playing to crowd on Sunday, but I will let you discuss what your item is if you want it known today. The note was funny...I am at the post office....

Packers 28 Atlanta 10.

Cheryl Houston said...

Oh, I can't wait to hear this BS! Julie is too funny at the post office.

Anonymous said...

Julie - I sent you an email this morning about your package as well. Too funny.
I vote #7 - GB dog is too cute and no it isn't a Struble dog - the great Norton the basset hound is in Packer dog heaven. Now we only have the stuffed animal in our house.
Centerpiece idea - depending on the time of the year - you could do a single item - like a pumpkin. Or depending on where the event is - some places will provide a round mirror and votives for free. It's not super creative but it's cost effective. Talk to your site and maybe they'll throw in something for free. There's a great website that I used for Matthew's goodie bags this year www.rinovelty.com it has good prices on things.
Really I like the fish bowl idea - lots of possiblities with that.

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a busy day in the world of HLA.

#5 is my vote for cutest pet.

I'm gonna go with Atlanta over GB 17-10 since Rodgers is hurt.

Centerpieces...they can have ours from the wedding. Seriously. Claudia, I'm sending you a pic of them right now so you can show your friend. If she wants them, it'll just cost her shipping.

When I got them from my friends, I changed the flowers on them. If her daughter likes roses, she can put roses in place of the daisies. You can get candles just about anywhere in any color.

Ray cookies have been delivered to St. Martin via Treye. They were well received :)

Anonymous said...

Hey All,
Claudia and Cheryl this will excite you guys most.
Check out halloweenoncanterburyst.blogspot.com

Katie said...

Peggy! Thank you so much- I got my mail today!!! I look forward to putting it to good use and writing you back soon! Thanks again- what a great way to kick start the weekend!

Cheryl Houston said...

What about putting roses in the cupcake paper holders? Or, what about sprinkling rose pedals on the table for color and using a candle in the middle?

What if each table is based around a different color of rose? The white table, the red table, the pink table, the yellow table... you get the picture. Tulle matching the rose could be tied around the chairs. Ooh. I like that one.

Anonymous said...

have you had her take a look at your blog from the Church fundraiser where they decorated the tables?

Peggy said...

Our pick for the pet is #5
(dd who is 13 chose her favorite)

Your welcome Katie!!! Can you confirm your zip code... I guess I couldn't read it, the postal lady said I was wrong!!

Anyone, I boo'd my own blog if you want to see it... with my boo from the crew card
http://prdesigns.blogspot.com

And as for center piece ideas... there are blogspots and links I can direct you to for making cupcake holders out of cardstock,
the $1 store has interesting glass containers you can fill with matching ribbon or tissue paper and then top with candy...
small pumpkins and gords with leaves (any hobby store has those)...
a bunch of helium ballons held down tight and short and ribbon and confetti strewn about below
I have a ton of ideas, but not sure how much effort to put into the suggestions.

Katie said...

Peggy, my zip code is 22807. Thanks so much- I'm currently putting some of what you sent to good use- they're SO CUTE!

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

I mailed off my Super Bowl snack today. Cost me $23 to overnite it. Dang! I hope it holds up. They are actually called "Stadium Bars" and they were pretty tasty if I do say so.

Anonymous said...

Going with #5!