Sunday, October 5, 2008

Two , Four, Six, Eight...

Cristine and Julie
are really GREAT.
Join me in celebrating this...
B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y  W*E*E*K!
Let's start by wishing them both a 
Happy Birthday!

My sister Ellen loves numbers.  I don't know if she is all that good at math, but she loves finding meaning in numbers.  For a while she was even into numerology.  Somehow using your birthday, birth month, and a series of other specially selected numbers to determine, what I think was, your lot in life.

I remember she somehow figured out that my oldest son Ricky (birthday 1/20/93) and his best friend Danielle (birthday 2/10/93) when added, subtracted, multiplied, then divided by the double secret super special number... actually had the same astrological number - and therefore, I think, destiny.  It meant that they would always somehow be on the same plane.  It meant, that when the tides brought troubled waters for one, troubled waters would be met by the other.   

Normally all of this talk about numbers might go right over my geometry-failing, statistics-hating self.  But this year, numbers have caught my attention.  This year, in fact, this week I will turn forty three (4+3) on October 7.  Coincidence... I'm not sure.

Let's have some more fun.

Forty-three.  I can pine over that number or I can embrace the number (albeit it big) and look for the 43 reasons why this number is so important...
  1. 4= number of seasons; winter, summer, spring, fall... fall - the fourth season and my favorite.
  2. 3 = number of daughters my parents had.  (Yes, I am the third).
  3. 4+3 = 7, number of days in a week.   
  4. 3+4+ 0 = My parents street address in New York
  5. 4x3=12 = the number of months in a year
  6. 4th month = April, the month Matthew was born
  7. 3rd month = March, the month Jack was born
  8. 43, number of cathedrals in the Church of England 
  9. 43, the number adopted by the online community as a representation of organization (ie. 43 things.com) 
  10. 43things.com, http://www.43folders.com/
  11. 43folders.com, http://www.43things.com
  12. 43kix.com, http://www.43kix.com/
  13. 43 = number assigned to President George Bush; 30 days left of 43 (come on #44!).
  14. 43 = Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States in 1943
  15. 43 = number of this year's Super Bowl! (Yes, I am as old as the Super Bowl!)
  16. 43 = minutes is the length of Pink Floyd's song, Dark Side of the Moon
  17. 43 = a prime number - the 14th smallest prime number
  18. 43 = 41+2
  19. 43 = 11+13 + 19
  20. 43 = 2+11+13+17
  21. 43 = 3+5+7+11+17
  22. 43 = The number of consecutive district titles tyring to be won by St. Francis de Sales of Toledo, Ohio (a national record in any high school sport).
  23. 43=the designation of Interstate 43, a freeway in Wisconsin
  24. 43, The year actor George C. Scott, actress Glenda Jacks, and the movie, Patton won Academy Awards.
  25. 43 = the number of different herbs and spices contained in the Spanish Liqueur Licor 43.
  26. 43, the year the Pentagon was finished being built and we were in the middle of WWII
  27. 43 state to join the union, Idaho.  (It's been a long time since an "Idahonian" visited our fun community.
  28. 43 = the number of Richard Petty's race car when he won his 7 Winston Cup Championships.
  29. 43 = % of workers who call in sick without excuses, according to CareerBuilders.com
  30. 43 South, the name of a company in Tasmania, specializing in growing cut flowers.
  31. 43 = The year people such as Newt Gingrich, Barry Manilow, Mick Jagger, and tennis great - Arthur Ashe - were born.
  32. 43 = Almost the price of a first class stamp ($0.42), but only $ 0.03 in 1943
  33. 43 miles, the equivalent to 69.201792 kilometers.
  34. 43 = the number of muscles required to frown
  35. 43 = a number, according to a religious website, that "...represents a time of waiting for some blessing from the Lord."
  36. 43 = International code for Austria
  37. 43 verses in the Old English epic Beowulf.
  38. 43 = the year London was founded by the Romans as Londinium
  39. 43 species of birds in the Antartica
  40. Three hundred-43 = number of fire fighters who died on September 11
  41. 43 feet, the average length of the male Gray Whale
  42. 4-3 = 1, number needed to complete my list of 43.  Do you have one?
Announcements:
  • Countdown to the Super Bowl: Congratulations to Nicole, winner of this week's Throw Down, between she and Julie!  Nicole, I heard about your costly mailing experience.  Next time we will consult ahead of time about which day you should mail.  Hopefully the win makes the cost of mailing more palatable!  Click on the Struble Suds site to hear more about the this week's Throw Down.  Next up Katie and Maureen...
  • Congratulations, Cheryl:  Cheryl was one of two people who predicted Atlanta would win over Green Bay.  She wins a gold star for coming closest to guessing the final score.
  • Blog-a-thon: We still have PLENTY-o-spots left for blog-a-thon participants.  Remember, this initiative is to raise money for the Helping Hand family we adopted for the holiday.  Sue, Brian, Maureen (...and I) appreciate you helping us reach our goal.
  • Festival of Birthdays:  Our very own Cheryl has started a fun new blog.  The very purpose is to recognize people she knows on their birthdays.  Check it out at festivalofbirthdays@blogspot.com
Signing off until tomorrow...

22 comments:

maureen said...

I am not a numbers person but my husband and I were both born on the 8th day of the month. I thought into it more and the number 8 is otherwise meaningless in my life (at the moment). Its also 7:00 AM and I dont think my brain is firing on all "8" cylinders LOL. Time for coffee:)

GOOD MORNING HLA!!!!

Anonymous said...

For Bal and I it is 7's and 13's:

7-We met in the 7th month of the year
21 (divisible by 7) our wedding anniversary
6/1/07 (6+1=07) Lily's birthday
7=the last number in our address, the first in our zip...it was the last in our zip at the last two places we lived too

13=Bal's birthday
13=our first apartment together
13=lot # of our first home


I like Maureen usually have a much more extensive list for this second group (13) but my brain isn't firing.


Have you said "yes" today? If not I have a great way for your to start...read my post from yesterday.

Katie said...

I'm not a numbers person either, but for some reason I've always been drawn to the number 11...and of course, 23 (the day of my birthday).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JULIE AND CRISTINE!!!

Anonymous said...

STOP, STOP, Everyone read Sat's blog. Its time for HLAHA to make a difference. We are all customers and consumers and we should support good corporations and reject bad corporations. Its unacceptable that Containor Store not only ignored a good customer, but they were rude and unprofessional. While King Arthur was repectable, and professional. Lets all say NO to Containor Store and YES to King Arthur. This Holiday season I for one will buy King Arthur and not buy from Containor Store. Claudia please provide email contacts for both companies so we as a group can express our feelings.

Anonymous said...

I know, Containor should be Container.

Peggy said...

I'm not a number person, albeit fascinated when they are presented to me, but I don't go trying to figure them out,KWIM? Now I might have to,because this is interesting.

Okay, so I guess I did what Claudia did... a google search for 43, then I went to the 43rd page listed where she got the 43 muscles to create a frown... here's the best one I could find on that page...

NASSAU, Bahamas --- Forty-three primary and junior high school students from the public and private school systems were presented with.....

But I just thought of one.... for four months this year, I too was 43! And my birthday was in the 4th month.... on the 13th which is 1+3=4.... yikes

Happy Birthday Cristine and Julie.... Happy Day to you all!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Cristine and Julie!!!

I love that our blog is full of Libras!!!!!

Katie said...

Heather, you just led me to another interesting lead on 4+3=7 .

Libra is the 7th astrological sign in the Zodiac!!!

Yay, Libras!!

Anonymous said...

CKB...how could you not mention your address 4012...

4+0+1+2=7 and

40+1+2=43

Cheryl Houston said...

Real quick and then I'll come back:

it's www.festivalofbirthdays.blogspot.com.

Julie and Cristine are up today and if you want a friend featured then just email me a picture and information to cherylopry@gmail.com. In the subject line please enter month/day and their name. (10/7 Claudia)

Anonymous said...

Claudia, iknow its a day early, but i am wishing you a very
Happy 43rd Birthday and many good wishes. Also, Happy Birthday to Christine and Julie. Libras in my opinion are pretty SPECIAL. I am a Libra myself. have a good day everyone!!!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Layne... when is your birthday?

Also... a few other notes...

Heather... I didn't forget about 4012, but as always... you are ahead of the (literal) game.

Toni... thank you for the support of my "cause." I will pass along King Arthur's info, but want to hold out on the Container Store as I make ONE LAST DITCH EFFORT. If next week at this time, still no word, I will gladly pass along!

Allison E. Rogers Furbish. She can be reached at allison.furbish@kingarthurflour.com or by phone at 802-526-1835.

Peggy... 4/13 is Aunt Annie's (my sister) birthday, too!

Cheryl Houston said...

I have no connection to the number of 43. But I like to play with the letters associated with the phone. So 4 = GHI and 3 =DEF. HD = High Definition. A year of quality? Or IF. A year of what if's? Is that good or bad? GF could equal a year of Good Friends.

The only connection I can find to the number 7 is Drew. 10.31.2000=7. If I did it right. My number is 9 and JB's is 4.

I like the number 12 because it's the day of my birthday. And another of my favorite numbers is 459 or short 59. There is great symbolism behind 59 but it's a secret. :)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

What kind of teaser is that, Cheryl. Putting something out there like #59 has special meaning, but... psych can't tell you why?!?!?!

#59, by the way, when added up equals 14, which when divided by 2 gives you Lucky 7.

Or is it that 9-5 = 4 and 5+9 = 14 and 4-1 = 3. Back to 43.

Anonymous said...

Claudia, my birthday is OCtober 12
i will be 42. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Toni,
I agree that it is time to make a true difference...Let's all say "yes" to Toni's idea and let our appreciation to King Arthur's be shown and our displeasure with Container Store as well and let both be our guide for shopping this holiday season.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Julie!
Thanks to you I'm moving a little slow today - I really like the Orange Bruise and celebrated a little early.
Thanks again to Julie & Nicole for the Super Bowl entries. We all loved them. I've got info up on Struble Suds and a couple of pictures.
Also - Happy birthday Georgia, her birthday is also today.
In our house we have birthday's close together too - Matthew & I are 4 days apart and William & Matt are 10 days apart - needless to say there's a lot of birthday cake in our house right now.
Hope that everyone has a great day!

Anonymous said...

43- the number of cocktails I had yesterday which made it a slow morning. Happy Birthday to all.

Anonymous said...

Claudia - Be glad Daniel doesn't read this blog yet. He would strangle you for calling him Danielle......hehehehe.

I'm not a numbers person either, really. Except I do wish I could pick some winning lottery numbers!

Susan

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Susan... Oh, my gosh... I just went back and saw that. Too funny. I'll go back and change it. I can't take a chance of making Daniel mad, because I am counting on him being a writer for our Blog-a-thon.

Speaking of which... letter went in the mail today.

Thanks for letting me know.

Brian K. Root said...

There was something super super cool turning 25 on Sept. 25th 2 years ago...

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Brian... I think that is referred to as your "Golden Year" - the year the date of your birthday and your age are the same.

I peaked early, with my Golden Year when I turned seven.