Monday, October 13, 2008

Fall Fest: A is for Acorn


Good morning.

This week we will celebrate many of our favorite things about Fall.  I'm a simple girl, so I thought we would use the letters F-A-L-L-F-E-S-T as a tour guide.  That's the good news.  The bad news is the bus already left and we're a day behind.  We'll use yesterday (the letter "F") to pay tribute to America's favorite fall sport... FOOTBALL.  If your town is anything like ours, there were enough high school homecoming football games this weekend to warrant football's spot on center stage.  We topped the weekend off with the Cowboys losing in overtime to AZLori's team!  The Packers, on the other hand, beat Seattle Seahawks 27-17.

Now to to the letter "A."  I love acorns as a symbol for fall.  I'm not quite sure, why.  Maybe because acorns connect to Oak trees, which connects to leaves, which connects to beautiful fall colors.  Or, maybe because I've never known how to whistle... EXCEPT when using the cap of an acorn.  Whatever the reason... acorns immediately conjure up thoughts of fall. 

The nice thing about acorns is they laden with symbolism.  Below are some examples.  See what you think.

"Great oaks from little acorns grow." - English Proverb.

"The strongest oak of the forest is not the one that is protected from the storm and hidden from the sun.  It's the one that stands in the open where it compelled to struggle for existence against the winds and rains and the scorching sun."  - Napoleon Hill

Did you know... In Britain, one tradition has it that if a woman carries an acorn on her person it will delay the aging process and keep her forever young?

And, of course, there's the long standing story called, "The Acorn Planter," written by Brian Cavanaugh.
"In the 1930s a young travler was exploring the French Alps.  He came upon a vast stretch of barren land.  It was desolate.  It was forbidding.  It was ugly.  It was the kind of place you hurry away from.

Then, suddenly, the young traveler stopped dead in his tracks.  In the middle of this vast wasteland was a bent-over old man.  On his back was a sack of acorns.  In his hand was a four-foot length of pipe. 

The man was using the iron pipe to punch holes in the ground.  Then from the sack he would take an acorn and put it in the hole.  Later the old man said to the traveler, "I've planted over 100,000 acorns.  Perhaps only a tenth of them will grow."  The old man's wife and son had died, and this was how he chose to spend his final years.  "I want to do something useful," he said.

Twenty-five years later the now-not-as-young traveler returned to the same desolate area.  What he saw amazed him.  He could not believe his own eyes.  The land was covered with a beautiful forest two miles wide and five miles long.  Birds were singing, animals were playing, and wild flowers perfumed the air.

The traveler stood there recalling the desolation that once was; a beautiful oak forest stood there now - all because someone cared."

There are a few big Oak trees on our block and lots and lots of them at a nearby park.  I think that today the boys and I might gather a container full of acorns.  Maybe then I'll mail them in packages to people whose patience and long hard work, I think has made the world a more beautiful place.

Oh, and maybe I'll slip one in my pocket... just in case there's any truth to the whole bit about delaying-the-aging-process.

How about you?  Do you have someone to whom you could send an acorn?

Or, is there another word beginning with the letter "A" that reminds you of fall?  Let us know.
Special Note:
  • Happy Belated Birthday, Layne!  Layne and Heather share the same birthday.  We caught Heather on the front end, but we'll kick the week off wishing Layne well.

17 comments:

Julie said...

APPLE CIDER!

I love fall!

I spent this past weekend traveling through the Allegheny Mountains in PA and it was breathtaking!

maureen said...

Claudia, dont let my mom know about the acorn and anti aging.... the poor squirrels wont have a chance!!
LOL

Apple picking reminds me of fall.....

Layne I called you (even though I was sick) and you werent home. I hope you enjoyed your birthday. We have to do lunch on your next day off!! Love ya:)

Katie said...

Attitude!

There is something about fall that makes my attitude about life spring into action. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the fact that I'm blown away by the beauty that fall brings to life, but all I know is that I just get a little extra kick from being outside.

Brian K. Root said...

Apple festival...

Every 2nd Saturday in October, my mother sets up as a craft vendor at a one-day festival in New Wilmington, PA, at the Apple Castle. And so when I think of fall, I think of this awesome Apple Festival.

Peggy said...

Autumn

I was a little concerned there when I saw the word Acorn... I thought you were talking about something else... hee hee

It's Columbus Day... no school here today... no mail either

Happy Day

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Peggy... I am cracking up at your mention of no mail today. I can relate completely with the idea that no mail delivery would even register with you.

I love mail, so when I was in college it was always a little harder to get myself going on what I termed as, "no mail days."

Yes, today is a no mail day, but that doesn't mean I can't package up some mail to be sent tomorrow!!!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

I don't have an A word for today. I guess football always reminds me of Fall. hmm... maybe as the day goes by I'll think of something.

On a different note, I dreamt of highlowaha last night... mostly because I have a guilty conscience. I have been carrying around a Snickers Bar to mail to Lori. I need to get $2.10 out of my allowance bank to send to Julie (I think it's Julie) and dig out three sheets of stickers for Claudia. At one point when I was somewhat awake, I told myself, "Stop dreaming about it, you'll take care of it tomorrow." And then the Kidd Kraddick in the Morning Show reminded me the post office is closed today. :) Oh well. Maybe tomorrow.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl,

Let me take something off your list of things to do... The "house" does not receive stickers. Just send your candy bar and money.

Sue posed that question last week, so Sue if you're out there... no stickers.

Katie said...

Too late on the stickers...they were already purchased with you in mind and placed in an envelope to be mailed tomorrow..3 sheets of stickers are headed your way!

Cheryl Houston said...

Thanks Claudia!

Okay, so while I was at the Orthodontist office this morning I was looking at the magazine Family Fun and they had this craft project about acorns:

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=12009

Katie said...

I just remembered something that I used to do as a kid involving acorns. My grandparents have a very large oak tree in their front yard. The way it was positioned, the acorns always fell right onto the front sidewalk which leads up to my grandparent's house. As a kid, I remember many falls where my grandpa would give each of us a brown paper bag and send us out to the front yard. It was always a competition among myself, my brothers, and my 3 cousins to see who could collect the most acorns! Talk about acorns just made me remember that. So, in memory of that, I think I'll give my grandpa a phone call just to say hello today!

Anonymous said...

Hello HLA!

I've been MIA for about a week and half now...was home taking care of family stuff and my parents have dial-up...and I don't have the patience for it.

I don't have an A word that hasn't been mentioned. I enjoy the smell of apples and even moreso, apple pie...YUM!

Football is the best...no doubt about it. If I remember, I'll update everyone tomorrow with HLA fantasy football standings.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Welcome back, Tera. We missed you.

Anonymous said...

first and foremost...happy belated birthday Layne!!!!
I love that I share a birthday with another fun HLA reader!
And we are a blog FULL of libras...I love that too!

(A)aahhhhh....the sound I make when I think about fall...love it!

I'll be interested in seeing what Texas falls are like.
I love football too...go Colts!

Anonymous said...

i agree with julie- i like apple cider!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Claudia for the birthday wishes.

Apples with marzetti's caramel apple dip (the best)!!!!

Autumn
Always colorful

Anonymous said...

Heather, Happy Belated Birthday and many more wishes!!