Saturday, October 11, 2008

If You Could...

Before I finish the question, a few important notes.

We don't gather on Sundays, so when a special day falls on a Sunday we either miss it or we celebrate early.  Normally, maybe less than ideal, but through the power and magic of newly established Birthday Eve... no problem at all.

Happy Birthday Eve, Heather! 
10*12*08
10+12+8 = 30.  That won't work.  
Heather is a young friend and hasn't hit 30 yet.
1+0+1+2+8=12!  There it is!  The actual date of Heather's big day.
Confirmation that numbers can say whatever you need!

As was noted a few times on Wednesday, when we whacked the wonderful idea of Birthday Eves, this is a great time to recall all that is notable about the current year, before launching a new one.  So, Heather... here are a few...
  • Being offered you great new job at UTA, among a pool of competitive candidates.
  • Moving your family from Kentucky to Texas and settling in... seemingly effortlessly.
  • Being nominated for New Professional of the Year, for our professional association.
  • Being an extraordinary mother to your daughter Lily for another 365 days.
  • Providing Highlowaha our symbolic connection to the number #218, with your great whack from months ago.
Not too shabby of a year.  Move forward knowing you made the most of last year!

One of Heather's greatest strengths is that she is able to remain calm, even when every thing around her is chaotic.  In fact, It was Heather who, when we worked together, established the great Twelve-Minute Rule - the notion that all we really needed was twelve minutes to meet any important deadline (a topic for another day).

So, it isn't surprising that yesterday, amidst nursing Lily who has pneumonia and preparing for a week long visit from her in-laws, Heather made time to snap this picture of a cute Halloween accessory.  It was, after all, part of yesterday's Free For All activities and Heather is conscientious with a capital "C."
Agreed, the shoes are adorable.  And I especially like that they are only $5.00!

Heather, Nicole, Cristine, Layne, and Cheryl truly played along with yesterday's Free For All and recommended a specific Halloween tricks or treat.  As promised one of you was to receive a Halloween treat in the mail from me.  And the winner is...

Layne!  I love this on two levels.  First, she told us about newly manufactured Candy Corn Hershey Kisses (always a good thing), and second... Layne has never won one of our contests.
I will mail it Monday, Layne.

Speaking of winners...  Nutmeg beat Candy Corn by three votes yesterday (8-5).  Good luck Maureen and Katie.  We'll be interested to see what each of you comes up with.

Finally...  back to "If you could..."  I find I enjoy using Saturdays to pose thoughtful questions about every day life.  Last week it was about working on having a "yes" reflex, as opposed to a well-developed, "no" reflex.  Another week it was about the simplicity of breakfast in bed and another about the fun (and ease) in actually stopping what you are doing and making time to fill the request of a child.

Months ago I received a postcard from a good friend and it has been posted in my office space ever since.  The postcard reads...

If you could open a door to anywhere, where would you go?

Let's use the weekend to think about and answer this question.  I'm really curious to hear responses.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your kind words...more than I could ever ask for from a friend.

I'll ponder the question today and touch base with my response.

Cheryl Houston said...

First... Happy Birthday Eve Heather! I hope Lily is feeling better.

is this a one way door? are we talking just geographically or historically through time? forwards or backwards?

geographically? I do wish I had a door that could simply get me to and from my parents house but that's kind of boring. I'm a beach girl so any beautiful beach will do.

I love stories about time travel, too. If I could travel through time I would go back 20 or so years and fix some things. :)Moving forward... hmm, not sure where I would want to go forward. My kids are at the perfect age right now. Maybe when they hit 13 I will want to push forward 5 years to miss the teenage years. :)

azlori said...

Happy Birthday Eve Heather! My youngest is also celebrating his birhday eve today too! It is his last day before he hits that horrible number that Cheryl was talking about....13! On that note if I could open a door to anywhere it would be where my teenagers could get over being teenagers, or to where they knew I was right instead of always doubting what I or any adult has to say!
Off to a soccer tournament...have a good day HLA!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVE HEATHER!!!

Anonymous said...

that was from me, cassie p- though im not sure why my name didnt come up when i put it in. anyways, happy birthday even again heather!

Julie said...

It's Sunday when I'm posting this ... so HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEATHER!

My first thought when reading your question jumped to "if you could meet anyone dead or alive, who would it be?" ...

I've often thought it would be amazing to meet my grandparents when they were kids (if I could make me the same age as them, and live in their world) as well as knowing them when they were my age (26)-ish. And to see my two Grandfathers fight in WWII.

Katie said...

If I could step through a door and go anywhere in the world, I would currently want to go to Africa. It is a current life goal of mine to make it to and possibly even work at Oprah's Leadership Academy for Girls in Africa. I love the concept, I love the positive contribution it is trying to work, and I want to help be a part of it! That's where I'd go today!

I am currently addressing all the prizes (candy bar, $2.10, and stickers) to the winners from last week right now...yes, I know I'm a slacker. They will be in the mail tomorrow morning.

Happy new week, everyone!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

It's Sunday and I am just now making my entry. If I could walk through any door, I would go to

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

It's Sunday night after 8:00 and I'm just now making my entry.

The question... If you would open a door to anywhere, where would you go?

Right now... at this very moment...If I could open a door and go anywhere I would go to a place where beautiful fall leaves canvassed small and winding streets.

At the end of the long and winding road would be a small log cabin, overlooking a valley full of beautiful shades of red, orange, yellow, and a long and winding creek. Inside the cabin would be cozy lighting, beautiful rustic furniture, and a big kitchen table where my family and I could play lots of board games.

That's where my door would go.