Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fall Fest: L is for Leaves

Leaves

I must admit, the thing I miss most about living in Louisville, Kentucky (or Northern Georgia, or Ohio, or New York) was the beautiful sight of leaves changing.  There were points all along my drive to and from work where the vibrant colors of fall were breathtaking.  Reds, oranges, and golds lined the streets.  The drive to Bellarmine University (the Catholic university where Heather and I both worked... not to mention Stacie, Tera, and some other HLA readers) was capped off each morning with a picturesque drive leading onto campus.  It was lined with trees that turned so red, from afar they looked like burning bushes (appropriate, I know).

School doesn't start until after Labor Day in New York, so one of first, most memorable, assignments of the school year, was always collecting leaves for a creative assignment of some sort.  I remember pressing leaves between waxed paper; identifying the trees from which the assortment of leaves fell; categorizing them by colors, sizes, and shapes; and using leaves for all sorts of art projects.  Yes, while falling leaves signified the end of summer, they also meant the beginning of a new school year.  

I love fall leaves.
  • I loved raking them up in to a neat pile, only to jump into them with two feet.
  • I loved burying my friends under leaves.
  • I loved getting paid $1.00 per full bag of raked leaves, by my dad.
  • I loved making leaf angels, in anticipation of the snow angels that would come months later.
  • I loved the smell of burning leaves.
  • I loved (and still love) stepping on brown leaves and listening to the crunching sound below my feet.
  • And, in a few weeks when leaves start falling in North Texas, I will love watching my boys romp around in the leaves - creating their own favorite fall memories.
Today let's talk leaves.  Do you have a fun (or funny) leaf story?  I do.  When I was in high school and my boyfriend lived in Arizona (where he wasn't treated to beautiful fall leaves), I mailed him a box of fall leaves from New York.

Do you have a favorite craft project using leaves?  Wrapping paper? Place mats?

Or, have your just decided to turn over a new leaf and to use today's post as a chance to tell us about it?

Maybe you don't even want to talk about leaves.  Maybe you're allergic and you hate the fact that they make you sneeze.  Maybe you have a different word starting with the letter "L" that makes you think about fall.  If that's the case, tell us about that (maybe you'll hit on the "L" word I have lined up for tomorrow). 

Signing off until tomorrow...

11 comments:

Julie said...

If they (whoever they may be) could capture the smell of autumn leaves into a candle, I think I might buy one for every room in my apt!

I actually pressed some leaves last week (here in NY they are at and leaving their peak colors) for a friend of mine. Her 6 y/o daughter has a birthday coming up, and said she wanted a "leaf theme" ... and she had no idea how to press leaves.

Julie said...

OHHHHH!

And I forgot to mention this yesterday .... Tera and I were fortunate enough to see each other over the weekend (I got to see Treye too!!) ... and she gave me a wonderful birthday gift that I felt I needed to share with everyone.

Remember: I'm a Post Office Rookie ... she gave me a large brown bag (which can be used to wrap a box to be mailed) full of packaging supplies!!!! It was fabulous!

Peggy said...

Luminous...
a flickering LIGHT in a jack-o-latern, the way the sun LIGHT pushes the glow of fall color through the LEAVES on the trees... head LIGHTS being turned on earlier and earlier as the days get shorter.

Moving a short distance from Wisconsin to Illinois two years ago... this new house has a ton of trees in the back that we have to rake leaves. We didn't have to rake leave for over 6 years before. Although we lived in Gifford WOODS, the trees surrounded other property and somehow the leaves just blew across our yard into the back fields... I never bought paper bags special for leaf pick up before... colored, bright, beautiful leaves are pretty to look at... when they are still 'stuck' to the tree limb!

Anonymous said...

I don't have any unique memories about leaves, though I did spend many hours each fall playing football in the front yard and diving into piles of leaves.

I also remember how every leaf within eyesight of my house ended up in my front yard -- which meant I had to rake them up!

Cheryl Houston said...

Ugh! Leaves = yardwork. Yuck. I am not a tree or plant expert but I think I have an oak tree in my front yard and the leaves don't really fall off of it. I have a small tree in my backyard that I see as nuisance and have thought about cutting it down since I moved in. I need to get busy on it before it gets too big. It drops it leaves in my pool. More work. And then, when it gets big, it's going to block my evening sun. Not a very positive attitude towards fall and leaves, I know. I was reading Peggy's comment and I dread that time when the night comes earlier. I don't really remember not liking fall but you know what- this morning I don't like fall. It leads to winter and I hate winter. If it could be summer 12 months a year, I would be a happy girl.

I didn't wake up on the wrong side of the bed but the post is negative for some reason... okay! Enough of that! Something good about Fall... TURKEY! I love turkey and dressing and all the food that comes with the Holidays. Pumpkin Spice Candles- my favorite candle. Soup! I love soup and it doesn't work as well in the summer as it does in Fall or Winter. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the fall and the changing colors of the leaves.I love my pumpkin spice candles and cinnamon berry candles. They both leave an awesome smell. As for the trees, we have a neighbor that has a huge tree on his front lawn and we don't have any. So when the wind blows our way we get the leaves. It could get very annoying especially when he doesn't pick up his own leaves. My boys are very helpful and they blow the leaves right back onto his property hoping that he will get the hint. We are still waiting for him to pick up his leaves. But all in all I still love the fall regardless.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

What, nobody has another "L" word or a new leaf they want to turn over?

Cheryl Houston said...

Did I tell you about my friend Diana who would turn over a new leaf about every three months or so? I finally told her she was full of BEEP! HA! It became a fun joke.

Also, the leaves turn in PC and everyone comments on them. "Aren't those leaves just beautiful?" I would hear it no less than 10 times a day. I used to swear a lot back then.

So, as I do not have a L word, I will turn a new leaf. I will turn a new leaf and embrace fall with all of it's wonderful colors (I love orange), the cooler breezes blowing in (lowering my electric bill), and the smell of my favorite pumpkin spice candle (I'll get that out tonight).

I just remembered. I love the song "Harvest Moon" by Neil Young (It's in the top 5 all time favorites). It always makes me look forward to fall.

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing about fall is LOVE. October is the month of my wedding anniversary, and we chose it specifically because of the beautiful fall leaves you describe. Kentucky in the fall is one of the most beautiful places on the planet, I'm convinced, and I absolutely love looking back at the photos from our amazing day.

And my newest favorite thing that starts with L (in the fall and year-round) is my little Lucian, of course!

Sorry I'm not around here much these days... October's a crazy month with lots of travel and such for us, so I'll be back in November, I promise!

Katie said...

This may come out as cheesy, but oh well...
"L" for Love.
Fall reminds me of the simple things I love about life. It reminds me of how beautiful this world is that I live in. It reminds me of how much I love the cooler weather, the beautiful foliage in the leaves, the fresh attitude it gives me toward life, etc.
Fall also makes me think of Thanksgiving which these days makes me think of home. Over the past 4 years, while living away from home Thanksgiving has been a time to come home and celebrate my family and be thankful for them. Last Thanksgiving, I was out of town, actually out of the country and I missed that day of just spending time with family and being thankful. This year, back in the country, I'm feeling blessed to get to go home and spend time with family after I've been away since July. I 'L'ove fall and what it brings to my life!

Anonymous said...

I would like the record to show that I am awake at a completely unreasonable hour and am online looking for today's post, but I am--GASP!--apparently too early!! And no, I did not wake up to read your blog, CKB, so don't get too excited. I have no clue why I'm awake at this ridiculous time of day, but I'm hopeful I'll get sleepy enough to head back to bed soon. Otherwise, life is bound to be very unpleasant later today, since Lucian is unlikely to let me off the hook simply because I'm tired.