Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fall Fest: "L" is for...

If you're just tuning in, you will be interested to know that the readers of Highlowaha are in the middle of Fall Fest.  We're spending the week celebrating all the things we've come to love about the fall season.  Guiding us through our tour is of favorites are letters...
F-A-L-L-F-E-S-T.  

Today is our final tribute to the letter "L."
 
L.L. Bean  

Lands End

Lattes

Lanterns... Jack-o-Lanterns

Hard to deny the excitement that comes with packing away summer clothes and putting on the first pair of jeans and the first blazer of the season.  I can't actually say I frequently order from L.L. Bean or Land's End, but I love the look of their clothes and I always imagine that if I ordered something from the catalog, I would look just as good as the models do when wearing the items.  Same with hair cuts, by the way.

Parenthetically... I considered using "Lighten your Load" as an "L" phrase for today.  I realize in talking to people about their fall favorites that quite a few of us use fall as a season for organizing our homes and purging ourselves of old belongings.  If you have an organizational tip you would like to share for storing summer clothes, or anything else for that matter, please feel free to share in the comment section.

Lattes... what more do I need to say about this?  You already know I love Starbucks.  This time of year is especially fun  because new flavors are debuted.  I think I heard someone order a Pumpkin Spice Latte yesterday and the Peppermint Latte will be revived soon enough for our holiday shoppers.  Today's post is dedicated to Nicole, whose generous treat that I received in the mail yesterday, paid for the latte I'm drinking this minute.

Finally lanterns... Jack-o-lanterns.  I ran across this short piece titled, The Mystery of the Jack O'Lantern.  If you're interested, check it out...  http://www.mysterynet.com/halloween/jack.shtml.
- OR - 
Consider this... Highlowaha will host its First Annual Pumpkin Carving Contest.  Carve and photograph your pumpkin in time to be shared with the rest of the community on Friday, October 31.  Pictures must be emailed to Katie at kkolkmeier@gmail.com.  Submit a pumpkin and earn a Pumpkin Patch (Get it?  Pumpkin patch?  Ha! Ha!) for your Highlowaha Patchwork denim (for more information, see post from 8/7 - titled, Patchwork).

Signing off until tomorrow...

15 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

And good morning (or afternoon) to Stacie who actually started looking for today's entry at 4:24 this morning.

Hopefully you fell back to sleep, Stacie.

Julie said...

As some of you know, my current job has me relocating every 13 weeks (an option I chose, not one they are just demanding of me) ... and I'm choosing some rather distant moves (PA to hopefully AZ in late November) ... so I've come to be rather efficient at packing.

If there are clothes in my closet that I haven't worn the entire season, or even maybe just once, they go. If there are pants or shirts that I'm holding on to just because I think I'll fit into them again, they go. (If and when I get to where they would fit, I'll celebrate by buying myself new clothes!) And then I take my clothes to a Salvation Army, or other Goodwill store.

I'll have a picture to you, Katie ... I just need to get myself a pumpkin first.

I have a question for the group too - my work is having a "Halloween" cake auction on 10/31. Any ideas on what I can create?

Julie said...

Stacie ... I was actually on the blog this am at 2:45 (EST) b/c I was unable to sleep ... we should try and be awake at the same time next time! I hope you were able to fall back asleep!

Anonymous said...

I was absent yesterday, so I want to visit Leaves today...

I lived in southern Oregon, as many of you already know, while growing up. I moved there when I was four years old, and we moved here to IN when I was 14 years old!

AND do you know what TREES they have in oregon? EVERGREENS! that means, they are green trees all year long- which means, no beautiful fall leaves, changing colors. AND my other family lived, and still does, in southern california. we have palm trees there. their leaves dont change colors, and there is much of a "fall" like I know it today.

SOOOO the point of my story, I much appreciate the array of colors of fall in southern indiana and louisville at this time of year. the leaves are one of the most amazing things that i have seen, and for the past seven years that ive lived here, i really enjoy that part of fall.

Peggy said...

I'll think more as I have to head off to work. One thing I've learned about purging... it probably was from the RealSimple mag... have your hangers face all one way on the bar (most people hang the hook straight on over the bar)... clothes that you are unsure of (wrong fit, look, season etc) put the hanger hook on from behind your bar... at the end of the season if you have not taken the hanger off the bar and worn the 'thing' it's time to toss.

Cheryl Houston said...

Cassie- No Aspen Trees in Oregon? That's what I noticed in Park City, Utah. I actually do have a photo of JB somewhere making a "Leaf Angel" in the Aspen Leaves.

Love that tip, Peggy. I read that too though I have not tried it.

Pumpkin Carving!! I love it. I have our carving planned for the weekend of the 25th. Does anyone else roast the seeds? Yum.

One other fun note not related to fall. Yesterday on our drive home JB starts to sing, "It's cookies and Ice Cream, ooh I want to taste em." I busted out laughing that he remembered the theme song I wrote this summer. He remember someone elses too because he added Wacky Wedensday to it which I don't think I included in mine. :)

Katie said...

Pumpkin carving, yay!

We are having pumpkin carving/decorating here in our building on 10/27. It is the 2nd event during the 6 Nights of Hill-o-ween (my building is Hillside Hall) which is a week long Halloween event that our Community Council is planning!

maureen said...

My son already carved 2 pumpkins and can you believe one is rotting? I usually dont carve them until right before Halloween because of this. He put so much work into the pumpkin. I will definitely submit a picture of one..... Have a great day....

Claudia LL Bean has really nice stuff. I buy a lot of their clothes for the fall and winter. I highly recommend it to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm probably in for the pumpkin carving!

Julie...cakes really aren't your thing so think twice about participating at work. Just kidding! You're actually not to bad with a piping bag...remember the Christmas cake you made at my house one year?! Check this out: http://jas.familyfun.go.com/recipefinder/display?id=50108

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

NOTE: While I am thinking about it and totally unrelated to today's topic...

Which of you actually mailed a package in the USPS Prank? I am ordering patches and never got a final count on who participated and who didn't.

Thanks.

Cheryl Houston said...

Did my whistle make it?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl, I haven't heard from Shay, so I don't know. But, I had you on my list of participants because I remembered your story from the day we did our mailing.

I will call her and find out.

Anonymous said...

cheryl- no aspens that i can remember. i mean, we had a few trees that leaves changed, but its mostly green ones all year long...

Julie said...

CKB - I mailed a rolled up shirt to T. Shay.

Tera - mild correction ... MAILING cakes isn't really my thing ;) ... I do remember that snowflake cake I decorated ... I'm still proud of it!

Anonymous said...

I mailed a UT-Arlington umbrella...I'm crossing my fingers it makes it...but at least I was only out the mailing costs if not.
I attached a tag with the address...funny thing was the postal worker didn't raise an eyebrow...just weighed it and dropped it in the box of outgoing mail.