Tuesday, October 28, 2008

One Thing Leads to Another

Announcements at the end.

Today's post represents a little bit of what this blog is supposed to be about at its very core  -simple, but creative, ideas that can be used to celebrate (or build) community.  But what makes today's idea especially fun for me is that it wasn't planned.  One thing led to another and here we are.  I like it because I think that's how creativity works.  One idea sparks another, which in turn sparks something else and before you know it, an idea is born.

Don't get too excited.  It's not that what I've created is all that grand.  In fact, you might take one look at it and think, "Big Whoop, I could do that with my eyes closed."  What makes my creation fun is the process by which it happened.  Here's a recap.

Saturday night.  Host Random Acts of Kindness party.  Inform guests that I would love if they could clear my table of all the treats and chatchka.  Because I host the party every year, there are inevitably trinkets left from one year to the next.  Host the party 18 times and you can imagine how many trinkets I have acquired over time.  This is year I wanted them all gone, so I could start anew in 2009.

Guests do a great job of using most everything, but still (when consolidated) there is a large Halloween bowl of trinkets left.  The majority of the trinkets are kid-related items, which makes sense since the bulk of our packages probably went to adults.  Desperate to rid myself of clutter, I move toward the garbage can with trinkets in hand.  

Feeling guilty, I reconsider.  Maybe I could give them to the kids in Matthew's class.  Problem...while I have a few of a variety of items,  I don't have 24 of any single item.

Then I think... Grab Bags!  With grab bags you can do hodge podge.  Yes, I will clear out my clutter while doing something nice for Matthew's classmates.  

Together Matthew and I decorated white lunch bags with markers and festive Halloween stickers.  All the while I was having flash backs to Christmas time in elementary school.  The day before Christmas vacation we would often times have a class grab bag.  They felt magical to me.  There was nothing but hope and possibility with a grab bag.  Grab bags are both luck and skill.  With a grab bag you get to reach your hand in, feel around and make some kind of decision on which of all the items you would most want to settle (books of Lifesavers were always a hit).

But packaging is everything (!), so in what will I put the grab bags?  I don't have a big, black, ominous looking bag.  I could - quick - try to make one (there is no length to which we won't go for great looking packaging).  But I don't really know how to sew and while there is no length to which I won't go, I can't really assume there is no length to which a good friend or neighbor won't go.

Then I remember the box in my garage.  The box immediately reminded me of Halloweens from when I was a kid.  Remember sticking your hand in a box and feeling eye balls (peeled grapes), intestines (cooked spaghetti), a heart (peeled tomatoes), and blood (tomato juice)?  

My idea is developing.

I still have some black spray paint left over from last week's mailing-tubes-turned-magician-wands (see post from 10/21).  I'll spray the box black and cut holes in it.  Matthew and his classmates can try their luck.  Reach your hand in and find eyeballs and guts.  Walk around to the other side of the box and claim your grab bag.

That's it.

The idea isn't going to win an award, but from my perspective it works for a couple of reasons.  First, I can use up all the Halloween trinkets that have been accumulating (and taking up storage space) for the past few years.  Second, I can do something nice for Matthew and his classmates.  Third, it allows me to exercise my creativity and to turn the value of any single item (nickel trinkets, half can of black paint, and cardboard box) into something that feels far more valuable.

Leftover trinkets.  Toss or keep?
Keep.
Pack away until later or use?
Use.
Find a group totaling number of trinkets available or improvise?
Improvise.
Present each kid with different items or disguise items?
Disguise.
Distribute to kids or let them pick?
Pick (automatically makes their bag feel cooler)
Grab bag or Grab box?
Grab Box.
Keep it simple or add holes?
Add holes.  Make it gross.

Gross is cool when you're four years old and it's Halloween.

That's it.  That's the evolution of this idea.  

How about you?  Is anybody doing anything fun this Halloween season?  Do share.  There's still time for us to copy.

Announcements:
  • Blog-a-thon:  We've had 10 people sign up already.  If you didn't tune in yesterday... we are "doing over" the Highlowaha Blog-a-thon.  It s scheduled for Wednesday, November 5, between 10:00 a.m. CST and 10:00 p.m.  CST.  We are asking that each participant register for a 15- minute period of time.  During his/her designated period of time, participants will commit to spending a portion of their time co-authoring a scary story.  Simply read what the person before you wrote and add on.  To sign up for a time, simply make a post in today's comment section.  Click on "Blog-a-thon," listed in the top right hand section of my blog, labeled, "Troop 218's Hot Spots." 
  • Pumpkin Patch: Remember to submit a picture of your carved pumpkin to be entered in Friday's Pumpkin Carving Contest.

Signing off until tomorrow...

16 comments:

Peggy said...

Hi! I can't think of a thing...

Gimme a minute!!! AHA... I always did face painting when I was a room mom (eventually for every party they had, cuz they loved it) ....toward the end they started phasing out Halloween Parties and making it into Fall Festivals... I finally figured out, rather than using 'official face paint' I purchased the washable markers!! Duh! So, I drew on cheeks, forheads, noses and hands.... ghosts, bats, pumpkins, Frankenstein stitches, pink nose and whiskers, snakes and whatever else their imaginations could think of. No mess, no clean up, easy to wash off!!

My 'kit' included sample cards of stuff I could draw, a mirror, and multiple markers... they didn't have a white marker, so I brought some paint just for that! The kids would line up forever to get tattoos!!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Hello out there!!

At this point, I do not have any entries for the Pumpkin Carving Contest! Make sure to send me an email with a picture of your pumpkin attached. Send it to kkolkmier@gmail.com

Happy Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

HLA Readers...I need your help!

But first, CKB sign me up for the Blog a-thon for 9pm if that time is still available...If not I'll take 8:30 pm.

Now on to my dilemma...I know it isn't Friday but I need a response in order to take action on Friday so I hope you don't mind me "free for all"ing on Tuesday.

Here goes:
As you all know Lily is 17 months old and is in a room of 12 kids who are between 14 months and 2 years old. They are having a little party on Friday for Halloween and I'm wondering if anyone has an idea of a fun addition I can make to a party for tots this size. Most of your typical party treats/ideas are better for older kids.

Thanks for whatever you can offer!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Heathe... as you know Lily is somewhere in the range of Jack's age. In thinking about what would make his face light up, the first thing that came to mind was a black or orange balloon (maybe with their name printed on it in marker).

If not a balloon for each child, how about one of those BIG, fun mylar balloons in a fun Halloween shape. You could drop it off in the morning for the classroom to enjoy. They will have fun tugging on the ribbon, etc...

That's my vote... in fact, I might just do that myself. I'll be curious to hear what other ideas people might have.

Anonymous said...

CKB...I posted this yesterday...but no answer!

Any chance you can write up a blurb about the Blog A Thon so that I can send it along to my family and friends to see if they'll participate? If we're all sending something similar, it may be helpful.

Heather - Hi. I miss you. I wish I knew about kids that age...but I've got nothing. Sorry :(

Cheryl Houston said...

heellloooo! The boys are going with their Dad for Halloween so I'm a free witch. :) I'm going to help get them into their costumes but then they're off. As mentioned many times before, Drew's birthday is Halloween. You'd think I would be slaving in the kitchen making some Halloween treat for him to take to school but the kid wants to take glazed donuts. Who am I to deny him?

Very cute idea Claudia. I'm so proud of all the stuff you used around your house. It turned out so cute! I better not hear the words "I'm not creative" ever come out of your mouth again!!!

Katie- carving pumpkins is on our schedule tonight!

Heather... what to do for 18 month olds...There are some Halloween Rubber duckies at Oriental Trading... probably not enough time to order. What about Halloween cups? Maybe a little bit too old still. Halloween balls? Are you thinking you want to purchase a little something or make a little decorative item? There are a lot of cute ideas at www.familyfun.com. I liked the toilet paper mummy treat holders located here: http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=11286

That's all I got, how'd you like that?

Cheryl Houston said...

I have received my first response from a friend that I sent a RAK box.

Her email said:

"OMG!!! Thank you so much for the halloween package. It totally made my day, week, month. That made me smile so big!!!! That smile/laugh was totally needed...I've been in a down mood lately, you lifted me right out of it today!!!
I love the idea of the party. You have to tell me how it was set up. Maybe i could hold something like that here... Thanks again."

I am so happy she is pleased and I wanted to share it with all of you.

Anonymous said...

I like the Halloween rubber duckie idea Cheryl...I wonder if Party City has them...I bet they do.
I'll have to check tomorrow at lunch.
If not maybe I go for the balloon idea.
Thanks...and keep the ideas coming!

Anonymous said...

hello...lo...lo...lo...lo....
Are you out there....ere....ere...ere?

Where is everyone today?

Maureen?
Layne?
Chaotic?
Cassie P?
Cassie Y?
Cristine?

Anybody?

Anonymous said...

haha, im still recovering...i have fallen asleep in class yesterday and today; even though i have gotten more sleep the past couple nights since fw is over. i guess im STILL catchin up on the sleep samantha and i did NOT get since last tuesday!! LOL

anywho...fun party ideas for tots... gee. all i can think of is food. they always like lil crackers and things they can eat with their hands. the older ones like to color, as long as they cant get crayons or w/e all over everything. unless they color all the time, then its not as fun. lately, all i can think of is BINGO playing and craft making with psychiatric patients since thats what i am up to with nursing this semester! haha...play ring around the rosy with them. they love it. they dont need anything special. idk bout something halloween, i dont like it or celebrate it, so maybe cupcakes or something. GEEZ idk!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Julie?
Treye?

I'm sure I'm missing a ton of you....I hope you all check in tomorrow!

Nicole Brewer said...

You can find the rubber ducks at Froggie's on Knox/Henderson.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Agreed, Heather. I was also looking for Brian, Nicole, Stacie, and Montana Kelly.

Maybe people are just warming up for the week.

CKB

Anonymous said...

Thanks Nicole for the information...I may have to make the trip.

Katie said...

Heather, sorry I did not respond until now. As you know, I've been out for the day standing in line. However, here are my thoughts...
1. Could you go in early and read/show a story/picture book to them about Halloween?
2. Cut out paper ghosts and bats. Hang them from the ceiling with black thread.