Saturday, October 18, 2008

Fall Fest: S is for...

Saturday...

October 18!

We will put on hold all the fun things we could talk about beginning with the letter "s," so that we may partake in our simple, but sacred, highlowaha tradition.  Today is the eighteenth day of the month and, as promised, we will use this day to reflect on the month's highs, lows, and ahas.

For those of you new to Highlowaha, we engage in this tradition as a way of acknowledging the very meaning of our blog's name and purpose.  Under girding Highlowaha is the premise that there are innumerable simple and creative things we can do with our family and friends to slow down the fast paced world in which we are living.  Coming together to share the high points, low points, and lessons learned is one such example.

So, I will start by sharing mine and then hopefully all of you will follow.  Last month we started something new.  Anyone who posts their high, low, and aha will have his/her name put in a drawing to receive a Highlowaha t-shirt.

Before I start... here is the completed Mad Lib from yesterday.  The words in red are those contributed by our readers.  Enjoy...

"Voting Made Easy as One, Two, Three"

Here are some very old instructions on how to vote, brought to you by the Citizens for Changing Awareness:
  • Step 1: Sign in with one of the snakes at the registration table.  You may have to show them your apple to prove your identity.
  • Step 2: Proceed fiercely to an available brainstorming booth.  (Be sure to close the fire truck behind you so no one can watch you jump.
  • Step 3: How you vote varies from earthling to unicorn.  In some states, you curl by pulling a football with your pinky toe.  In others, you must mark a ballot by placing a "B" in a small store opposite your candidate's dog.
Holy Crabby Patties you will cry.  "Voting's as easy as cheese!"  So be sure to devour on Election Day, because every craft store counts.

Consider this warm up to the blog-a-thon scheduled for Friday, October 24 (Have you signed up for a time yet?).

Now for my high, low, and aha...
  • High: Thoughtful gestures on my 43rd birthday; getting to work with students some this month and being reminded of how much I love it; fall weather; talking to my sister for the first time in a while.
  • Low: Tense relationships; the global economy; and arguing with Weirs (a local furniture store) about dissatisfaction with our kitchen table.
  • Aha: I'm impatient with injustices; if the metal fastener of an envelope is showing, the post office will charge you more for mailing (cover it with tape); Liquid Nails is a better adhesive than Guerrilla Glue when trying to adhere metal to a tile surface.
Signing off until... tomorrow!  I couldn't very well leave you hanging without a "t" on "Fest." 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA our mad lib was funny!

high: going on a shopping trip in cinci with my girlfriends over fall break

low: like dr. b, ive had some tense relationships lately, causing me un-needed extra stress.
Oh, and having car trouble, again.

aha:FAMILY WEEKEND IS 6 DAYS AWAY!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Julie said...

HIGH
my birthday and all that came with that, my sister's wedding reception and having all of my best friends in one place, and the beautiful fall foliage!

LOW
losing someone, who in 7 short weeks, made a significantly positive impact on my life, and some situations at work

AHA
you aren't allowed to mail vodka (or any type of alcohol for that matter) from the post office, sometimes you just can't help people - but instead just have to sit back and let them figure out things on their own

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

High: Preparing for Halloween with my children.

Low: Having a kidney infection for 10 days.

Aha: Learning that you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try or how good your intentions.

Peggy said...

I like the mad lib!

high: getting a job, temp part time as a receptionist at a very busy Ophthalmalogy (eye surgeon)office, it's getting me out of the house, building my self worth and I'm contributing again to the home (although working 3 weeks, I've not received a paycheck yet, argh)

low: selfish... it was very hard giving up all my extra free time... the kids are so busy with after school activities...I'm going, going until 7:30 at night.. and then it's time to do laundry, clean the house, I want to make creative greetings!! and play!

aha: the patient average age at the drs. is about 74, we saw someone who was 106 years old on Thursday....their lives are so routine... the same, nothing changes, (or everything is changing in the world around them)I'm learning to listen, but smile when I repeat the same thing over, and over, and over!

Julie said...

Peggy - I'm working with pts that age now ... they range from 70's to 90's. They are indeed a treasure to work with! Listening to them is one of the greatest things I've learned - they have some fascinating life stories!

Anonymous said...

High: Every second with Lily

Low: Lily had pneumonia, another month of our house not selling

Aha: People don't always deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Cheryl Houston said...

High: My office moved and it's great! I don't even like to leave for lunch. I got to spend some fun time with family.

Low: I blew my budget in the last couple of months. Some of my family is crazy.

Aha: Even though I have a great job with great benefits, I still need to watch frivolous spending. Just because someone else feels strongly about a position, it doesn't mean I have to, too.

Laura K said...

Hi, I'm Laura! I used to work with Claudia and Heather at Bellarmine, and Heather introduced me to the blog...very fun! I hope I can check in periodically, cause you guys seem like a fun group!
Here are my additions to today's topic...
High: getting to try out some new lenses with my photography, the temperature cooling down, and the leaves changing colors
Low: Disheartening comments from people looking at our house (and another month sitting on the market unsold), feeling overwhelmed at work and just can't seem to ever be 'caught up'
Aha: Somehow life plans never seem to work out the way you think or hope they will...but I still believe it all works out for the best in the end - I'm an optimist!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yeah, Laura! Welcome to Highlowaha! If the rest of you knew Laura like a handful of us do (Heather, Katie, Stacie, Cassie P, and I - to name a few), you would know how excited you should be at the prospect of Laura tuning in now and again.

She is one of us... creative, fun, thoughtful, and appreciative of the little things that makes life's craziness feel more meaningful.

Hopefully we'll see you sometime next week, Laura.

Anonymous said...

Welcome, Laura!!! Great to have you on HLA!

Heather- I agree with your AHA.

Another low- I miss you, Heather!
Another aha- boys are stupid!

Brian K. Root said...

High - My 3-day visit home to see the family last weekend.

Low - Being moved out of my office location and into a new one in a building I don't really prefer to be in.

Aha - Realizing that one of my colleagues values my contributions highly