Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Whack on the Side of the Head Wednesday: < .22 Cents

Our lives can be shaped by the simplest interaction with someone.  Maybe it's because, at the precise moment when two paths cross, what one has to say is precisely what the other needs to hear. Or maybe it is that, while living completely separate lives, our journeys feel amazingly similar.  Whatever the reason, it can be both memorable and affirming.

Such is the case with Wes, owner of Hey Cupcake, in Austin, Texas.  I think CSPgrad, my side kick for this trip, would agree.  I arranged to meet Wes for an interview, after participating in Leadershape at St. Edwards University.  The students proudly informed me that Wes was not only an alumnae of St. Edwards, but that he was a young entrepeuneur in the cupcake business.  I knew I wanted to feature a week of cupcake fun on Highlowaha and Wes seemed like as good an insider on the subject as any.  That's answers, why Wes.  That and the fact that the R.V., out of which he sells cupcakes, is located smack in the middle of town.  It is strung with Christmas lights and has a massive spinning cupcake on top!  The guy knows how to make a statement and I wanted to know more.

We spent about an hour with Wes, but within the first five minutes it was clear we were talking to a passionate guy, motivated by the thrill of thinking big and taking risks.  Cupcakes, by the way, are not his passion.  He fell into cupcakes while on a trip to New York (on business about bottled water).  He smiled explaining, "Most people think I love cupcakes.  It's not the cupcakes, it's the process of creating something."  Wes explained, that more than the cupcakes, he liked creating an experience - a place for people to go get away from what's going on in the world.  He got his whole operation up and running, by the way, in less than three months.

I guess it was at that point I felt like I could relate to Wes and what he was trying to do.  Create something that helped restore some sense of nostalgia or memory of when life was simpler.  He described the process of starting his business as amazing, insofar as each and every obstacle presented to him somehow worked itself out.  I tend to believe it was the "...universe conspiring", but Wes hadn't read the book, The Alchemist, so he didn't understand my insistence that cupcakes might actually be his Personal Legend.  

I think the icing on the cupcake came when Wes talked about how, he at times felt under siege (my words, not his) of his ideas.  He explained that frequently he calls a friend or family member to release the ideas running through his head.  Their job?  Take notes.  Katie and I couldn't help but look at one another and laugh.  We had just spent a three hour car ride - me spouting off ideas for Highlowaha and Katie generously taking notes.  Wes and I were connected by our enthusiasm for what we were creating - he cupcakes and me highlowaha.

It didn't hurt that Wes was inspiring.  He is truly visionary.  He took us on a tour of his expansion - a cupcake compound - and immediately rushed us over to a tree.  To me and Katie... just a tree with a few knots in the trunk.  But to Wes so much more.  To Wes it was Mr. Bubble Tree.  The knots were eyes and a nose.  Anchor an industrial sized bubble maker in the tree tops and immediately you've created the ultimate kid attraction, making Hey Cupcake way more fun than any old ice cream store.  I could go on about how Wes kept using the word "we" even though, when asked, he confessed there was no "we."  He said it seemed presumptive to say, "I" when there was no way he would be where he was without the help of others.   Wes is an all around good guy, a successful businessman, and a skilled leader.

But all is not peaches and cream - or icing and sprinkles - for Wes.  At one point during our meeting Wes talked about business expenses and lamented over the fact that every box they use to package their cupcakes costs .22 cents.  There's only so much profit margin you can eek out of a cupcake to begin with, so Wes is feeling the effects of costly packaging.  I began to think this was the perfect challenge for our creative highlowaha readers.

It's Wednesday, so why not jump in and whack Wes's packaging dilemma.  For those of you new to our community.  Each Wednesday we work with our friend von Oech to creatively problem solve.  He provides us with a creative principle and we work at applying it to whatever happens to be the week's challenge.  This week... less expensive cupcake packaging ideas.  Now for a little nudge from Roger von Oech.

Deck is in hand.  Fanning them out.  Feel the karma... reach for the left hand side of the deck.  Select a cluster of four or five cards.  Take hold of just one and pull.  

This was an uncanny choice of cards this week...

Substitute.  When you don't have a certain resource available (or want to change from ones you do), you substitute.  Indeed, much of human progress is the result of substituting one idea or thing for another: words for grunts, tools for fingers, money for goods.  If you've ever used a potato for a radio antenna, or created a knife out of a broken light bulb, you have this ability.  What can you substitute?  

I will, by the way, send Wes a compilation of all our ideas.

Oh, and what are you vying for?  A great looking, size large, Hey Cupcake t-shirt.  It's brown with pink writing.  On the front it says, "Hey Cupcake" and on the back it says, "Who you callin' cupcake?"  Trust me.  You want one.

Below is a picture I received from a fellow highlowaha reader.  Confirmation, that while I can bake a yummy cake in my Big Cupcake Mold, I have not even approached novice status in the decorating department.  This picture shows the true potential...  Thanks, Jessica!
Signing off until tomorrow...


24 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh man. what a dilemma this seems to be! the box is too expensive. use a cheaper box. not that simple the way i see it. and i think thats the point. that box has to be taller than a donut box because cupcakes are clearly taller. AND i see perfect sized holes for each cupcake to sit in. remove the holes, and there is potential for those cupcakes to fall over! UGHHHH!!!! we dont want that. the frosting (or icing, whatever you wanna call it) is the best part!!!

my solution? hmmm... let me sit and think a minute... tryin to think outside the box...

1. use a cheaper box without the little holes.
2. a circular box that the cupcakes fit into perfectly and wont fall over. (not sure if its cheaper or not!)
3. the ultimate cheap way to serve something... paper plates! haha

thats all i got this early in the morning. but i have to get ready for school!

Anonymous said...

Claudia:

A plug for the basket.

maureen said...

If you buy bulk the boxes cost pennies my mom bakes and the more boxes she buys the less they cost. Or you can recycle other kinds of boxes to make it more "green".

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

OK, so I'm trying to think outside the box here. Ha ha. What about offering a small discount, coupon, free something for people who bring their own containers or who recycle their cupcake boxes? Save some money and the environment at the same time.

maureen said...

Nicole you read my mind that was my next post. Some people bring their bags to the grocery store to reuse and its totally acceptable.

Anonymous said...

I think for customers who actually buy six cupcakes, the little cut-out circles shouldn't be necessary. Cupcakes shouldn't fall over if they're packed in there together like that, should they? But what do I know? Perhaps he could find a less expensive box for those cases, and only use the little cupcake holder (holster?) boxes for those who don't buy a full order? This is a tough one because you HAVE to put them in a box to preserve the icing on top! Cupcakes aren't the sort of thing that can just roll around in a bag...

I definitely think Nicole has the best idea so far. If he put a little label on or inside each box explaining the recycling opportunity, it might work even better, but it would need to be where people would read it before throwing it away. It couldn't be much of a discount because once he's hits a quarter, he may as well have bought another box. But perhaps a frequent-recycler (and/or purchaser) punch card instead of a discount, with a t-shirt as a prize to be earned after a certain number of punches? Then it gives him more opportunity for marketing AND saves him money on packaging--or at least funnels the money into t-shirts instead, which might end up bringing in new customers and making him more money.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE cupcakes and cakes! I can't wait until my apartment is all put together so I can begin baking again. If I don't find a job soon, I'm going to a bakery to work!!!

Maybe Wes can team up with another local bakery and they can buy the boxes in bulk. They would be cheaper that way.

You could also puchase the boxes from one place and the holed-inserts from another. I found this:
http://www.brpboxshop.com/bakery_boxes/cupcake_boxes.html

You could begin to package cucakes in bags...if just buying one. Bagging a dozen cupcakes wouldn't work out so well.

Or....if you're selling them and they are going to be eaten right away, a paper plate and napkin may do the trick.

Anonymous said...

Great idea Stacie. Love it! The punch card is fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear All:

Just wanted to let you know the basket that I have asked us to put together has taken on a new meaning. The lady they were doing the benefit for her name was Gwen Schuler has pased away last night. This now becoming a benefit for her young children. Just wanted to keep everyone up to date on this.

Kat said...

Ok, going with the "bring your own container" idea. What if Wes sold reusable cupcake holders with his logo on top? Then he could make the profit from the holders and not have to provide cardboard ones as often. I love the punch card idea to encourage people to actually follow through.

Cheryl Houston said...

First- I have to just say I love that cupcake RV! It is fantastic!

Secondly- Under siege of his ideas! You idea people are so great!

Oh man! Stacie has the best idea so far. I wish I could come up with something better because that shirt sounds too cute and I want. And yeah- so if you bring any of your home containers whether it holds one or 12 or 24 (whatever size you need) get your card punched for Going Green (that has got to be such an Austin thing) and the 12th punch gets a free tshirt and that expense goes under advertising.

But what to do about those of us that are lazy or don't own a cupcake holder? Surely, Wes has already looked into bulk purchasing. Okay, so maybe there's still another substitution out there. Oh- Kat is on to something!

I just looked him up on the internet and went to the street view of google maps! Hey Cupcakes is so Austin! I love it! Wes- we have to get a page on your site where we can purchase the swag!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Sue... Thanks for the unfortunate, but important, update on Gwen. I am saddened by the news of her passing.

I can't imagine that Highlowaha readers aren't up for creating a basket in her name. The theme for our basket are either creative items or things made by hand. The money made from the raffle will go to helping the young children Gwen has left behind.

This seems like a perfect example of how creativity and community can meet up at Highlowaha!

I will let Sue make a post about how she wants you to get your donation to her. Maybe she will post her address on the site. Nonetheless, start thinking about what your contribution can be. So far, I think we have beautiful notecards from Peggy, a blanket from Sue; a donation from Tera, something beaded from Heidi; and I am contributing a brand new pack of my favorite craft pens. How about you?

Cheryl Houston said...

Taste of USA Road Trippers:

Check out Taste of USA to see where we are meeting and what to bring!!

Cheryl Houston said...

I will donate something but not sure what yet.

Katie said...

Sue/Mom,

I'm working on a livestrong de coupaged frame for the basket. In the process of trying to get all the words/images together and then I'll send it along!
Katie

Katie said...

As for Wes, (along the same lines as Kat)what if along with his other merchandise he added cupcake carriers to something he sold at the compound? You know, a Hey Cupcake, cupcake carrier!? Maybe they could get a discount on some other piece of merchandise for buying the carrying case. Or as Stacie suggested, after using it so many times, you receive a discount on cupcakes or on another piece of merchandise?

Anonymous said...

Since everyone else appears to have taken the really great ideas I'm going with this one:

Limit your sales to single cupcakes at one price and ready for eating (AKA no carrier) or in a baker's dozen in a box.

Thus you are selling more cupcakes and in most cases the boxes cost the same amount even though you fit double the cupcakes thus doubling your profit for each box.

Anonymous said...

Sue,
Although I'm not terribly good at making things I'll certainly add some craft item to the mix.
I'm glad that our highlowaha community can help even if in such a small way.

Anonymous said...

Sue -

I got your email, thank you. My mom will be around all weekend I think.

Heather, I wanted to let you know that I've already mailed Sue the following thigns: construction paper, glue, scissors, markers, crayons, colored pencils, chalk, glitter glue and foam shapes. So if you want to send something, try to get something besides this!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Go Tera! Way to knock out the entire Michael's Craft Store. Heather... how about a cookie cutter and some colored sprinkles for the top.

Fall is in the air and a leaf or pumpkin cookie cutter cold be fun.

Anonymous said...

Heather:

What about some paint so they can paint on Tera's paper. Maybe make a hand print of their own like we are doing. Or t-shirts and paint and they can make their own t-shirts show their creative side.

Anonymous said...

Sorry I have been so busy focusing on the basket today I forgot to give my idea for cupcakes. What about using a egg carton. Use the top of it.

Julie said...

Sue, I know the kids aren't going to be receiving this basket ... but how old are they?

Janine said...

Thanks so much for the celebretory writing and reminiscing of our high school years. Claudia wore #22 in both junior high and high school, I wore #26 and I cannot recall what Maureen's number was... I do remember every Saturday morning walking up to the tennis courts at the community college to play for HOURS and HOURS against you... we never kept score! I need to go backtrack to find out what you are all talking about with these boxes. I'll tune in when I have some more time to spend. Thanks so much for remembering my birthday after all these years.