Thursday, September 4, 2008

Cupcakes That Take A Stand and Have A Message

First an Important Announcement (then more at the end):

I should start the day where I was supposed to leave off yesterday... telling readers about the opportunity to channel your creativity towards helping a member of someone in Sue's (a loyal reader) community.  In the virtual world, we are the spot on the map where creativity meets community.  This, therefore, seems like the perfect location for mustering up support.

The woman for whom this gesture was initially planned passed away two days ago, making it that much more meaningful and important to her husband and her children.  A silent auction is being held in her honor on Thursday, September 25.  Our goal is to create a basket to be included in the auction, reflecting the spirit of our blog and our blog readers.  Albeit short, Highlowaha has a history of using our creativity to enhance/support community.  We did it with Melanie's trip to Belize.  We did it again with our Random Acts of Kindness initiative, and then again with Make Your Mark.  Our holiday service project is looming, and I know through our collective efforts we can squeeze in this important gesture.

Sue, who is coordinating the project, is looking for either craft items (paints, hole punches, fun scissors, cookie cutters, etc...) or handmade creations.  Along with your donation, please include an outline of your hand with your name printed on it.  Sue's address is posted in the comment section.  Donations must be received by Monday, September 22, 2008.

Now to cupcakes that take stand and have a message...
Even cupcakes can make a decorative centerpiece if nicely arranged in a cupcake stand.  My mother purchased mine for me months ago.  I had no idea when I first received the stand how much I would end up using it.  But I have.  

That's the stand.  Now the message.

I love P.F. Changs, but what truly makes it magical (other than the lettuce wraps) is that the whole meal is capped off with the anticipation of opening my fortune.  It is, as Seth Godin would say - author of Free Prize Inside - the "prize inside."  The prize is the "...thing about your service, your product or your organization that's worth remarking on..."  

The fortune cookie is the "prize" to Chinese food in the same way the blue tin foil message is the prize to Promises candies.  I've always thought baking cups should bear fun messages to be found once the cupcake is gone.  While I've never seen one (someone get busy and create it), I've gathered a few thoughts on how we can give the tinker ever so slightly with the beautiful simplicity of a cupcake and give it that added prize inside.
  • First. Add -a-Message Fun Pix.  Months ago I saw an article in a magazine suggesting this creative bridal party idea....  The hostess solicits from each guest a piece of advice for bride to be.  Then the hostess takes the words of advice and attaches them to slips of paper on toothpicks. The toothpicks are stuck in cupcakes and served in leu of cake.  I tried this yesterday in a no -frills kind of way.  Fun Pix, colored paper, and a pen.  I leave the possibilities for embellishment up to you and your imagination (fun scissors, stickers, etc...).

  • Second.  Cupcake Fortunes: This is my own little creation (though I am sure it has been done before).  Yesterday was Whacky Wednesday.  So, how to combine Whacky Wednesday with the idea cupcakes?  I wrote twelve fun and whacky notes on slips of paper, rolled them up, and then wrapped them in small pieces of parchment paper.  Once the batter was in the cupcake tins, I sunk the fortunes into the center of the cupcakes.  It worked!  The paper was a little soggy, but the boys found their fortunes and agreed my idea was, in fact, whacky!
So you see, today we celebrate the utility of a cupcake - both as centerpiece and as messenger of fun fortunes.  Consider how you might liven up your next party by arriving with a dozen cupcakes stuffed with surprise messages for each guest.  In fact... let's use that as the springboard for today's giveaway.

To win the cupcake stand, Fun Pix, and baking cups share your ideas about the next group you could present with cupcakes and what the twelve messages might say.  For instance... Maureen, going to a Girl Scout meeting?  What could your fun messages read?  CSPgrad or Kelly from Montana... how about your next staff meeting?  Heather... want to treat your child care providers to a pick-me-up?  What are some creative ideas for messages you might include?  

The beauty of this is we can steal one another's ideas.  I'll get you going.  Some of mine from Wacky Wednesday read...
  • Lucky you.  you just won a second cupcake.
  • Tonight we will read our book from the last page to first
  • Say the secret word and get 30 minutes of a cartoon, and
  • Hugs, kisses and one extra book
Announcements, then your turn to get creative.
  • Attending Taste of USA?  Click on the link in the top right hand corner to make sure you have everything packed.
  • Yesterday's Winner:  My husband has a background in marketing and works in logistics.  I figured he was the best judge of the many ideas that streamed in during yesterday's challenge.  In the end he wouldn't pick a winner, but identified the people he believed most thought "outside the box."  They were Stacie, Heather, Nicole, Kat, and Katie.  I put all your names in a bucket and pulled out one.  And the winner is...  KAT!  Congratulations, Kat.  I will put it in the mail Friday, along with prizes for all the other winners.
O.k., let's see whatcha got.

Signing off until tomorrow...

22 comments:

Julie said...

I have a fabulous idea about this exact topic, but unfortunately I can't elaborate on it until Monday.

That's all I'm saying about that!

Katie said...

Sue address:

Sue Kolkmeier
4074 Circlewood Drive
Erlanger, KY 41018

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking this would be a good idea for my students (I am a childbirth educator). The "fortunes" inside could be questions related to that week's class topic or it could be an ice breaker with a "getting to know you" type question or different positive affirmations for labor...the possibilities are endless!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Last night the boys and I were discussing how summer passed us by and the shark party is now on hold until next summer. The question was what kind of parties do you have in the fall. The answer was a Harvest Party. Picture bobbing for apples, carving or decorating pumpkins and potato sack races. The cupcakes would say You are as delicious as autumn, Beware Falling Leaves, Dance under the harvest moon, and Boo~ I Love You.

OR...I have a girlfriend that is pregnant that I thought would never be pregnant so for a baby shower you would read the fortune from your cupcake to future mom. Sayings might include: Sleep when Baby Sleeps; All you need is love... and a nap; Feed, burb, potty, sleep, repeat; and Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Nice. We are getting the hang of this. Keep 'em coming, so I can put all your ideas on reserve!

Katie said...

I think this, coupled with some plans I already had will work out perfectly! I see myself putting fortunes that say: one bulletin board done by Katie, one night of duty covered by Katie, one 1:1 at the location of your choice, one meal of your choice cooked by Katie, etc. All things the RAs would want from me! I'm thinking maybe mid-point in the semester when things begin to get stressful!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yes, Katie. I love the idea. Maybe the overarching theme could be "Hillside RAs Take the Cake!"

Now we're cookin', folks.

Kat said...

Yippee! I am so excited to have won! This Fall we will be getting together with extended family for holidays and other events. I think it would be fun to write a little known fact about each family member and stick it in each cupcake. Then we could read them out loud as the cupcakes were eaten. I can see messages such as "Kat's favorite type of cake is carrot", "Max's first word was Meow", and so on. I think it would be a fun way to get to know the people that we already think we know so well.

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have had this cupcake idea before this summer as it would have been fun to do for my 20th class reunion. We could have had old memories or 80's sayings in the cupcakes. Mind you I graduate from a small class so this would have been very doable!

Anonymous said...

Can I just say I love the idea. I have son getting married next year. I am going to some how use it for the bridal shower. Not sure what I am going to put in the cupcakes but like this idea. Maybe cspgradstudent could take on this job.

Anonymous said...

Sue - way to delegate! :)

I'm emailing you a picture right now that deals with cupcakes!

Katie said...

Oh, like I have nothing else to be doing?! I'm just that out-of-town sister of the groom!!

Then again, cupcakes are involved, so I'm in! What if people put "married" advice into the cupcakes? We could seek advice from the shower guests before hand and each person could read the "fortune" for Becky as they eat their cupcake! For those unmarried, how about advice on her soon-to-be husband? I think I could coe up with a few warnings of ways to deal with him!!

So, while your advice may be:
"Never go to bed angry"
Mine might be more like...
"Never try to start a conversation with him during a Notre Dame football game"

Anonymous said...

cspagradstudent love your ideas. I was thinking more in line with a fact about becky or mark that most do not know. Kind of like getting to know the groom or bride better. Do I understand right you will bake the cupcakes? You are so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Sue & Katie -

I think that would be a great idea...putting info about the bride & groom in the cupcakes. It could spice things up and take place of "traditional" shower games.

You should look in to getting edible paper (rice paper). This is the stuff they use to put images on top of cakes. I'm not sure if you can put it inside, but it may be worth a shot. They also sell edible ink to use to print on this paper.

http://www.bakingshop.com/cakes/ediblepaper.htm

I googled cupcakes with messages inside I found this...it may or may not help:
http://www.floras-hideout.com/recipes/recipes.php?page=recipes&data=f-g/Fortune_Cupcakes_with_Surprise_Messages_Inside

You could also bake cupcakes and then put a real fortune cookie on top that has customized fortunes inside. There are a zillion websites that allow you to create your own fortunes.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Tera... maybe you have a future as a wedding planner!

Katie said...

I'd just like to say that the JMU girls are so excited for our trip to Philly this weekend! We're leaving here tomorrow morning when Nicole gets out of class and can't wait to see you all Saturday morning!

Off to class and a group meeting! See ya in Philly!

Anonymous said...

Wedding planner = DREAM JOB!

Anonymous said...

Tera,
I like the idea of inserting the messages post baking using the ribbon idea...nice find!

Anonymous said...

Tera:

Thanks for the idea will look into the rice paper. Who ever sent the package from Shaker Heights, Ohio it arrived today. Will you let me know who you are?

Anonymous said...

I sent that, Sue!

Anonymous said...

How about offering cupcakes at a Halloween party for adults or kids? The twelve (or thirteen) sayings could read: Your smile is bootiful, trick or shriek, what a spooktacular costume, ghoulish games await, mums the word, you are frighteningly funny, batty for you, bone appetite, hide and go shriek, witch way to the candy, do the monster mash, haunt it up, and you shine like a jack-o-lantern.

Anonymous said...

thank you tera.