Friday, September 26, 2008

Free For All Friday: Football, Throw Down Final Scores, and Friendly Neighbors

T.G.I.F. Hopefully you all have something fun that you're looking forward to this weekend. We will be cheering Ricky on at his swim meet and, hopefully, Richard and I will take in a movie on Saturday night.

Thanks for engaging with me this week to wrap up details from week's prior and to look ahead at exciting things to come.

Before I open the floor for Free For All Friday - the day you get to talk about, brainstorm, or get input on any topic you want - I have few quick announcements and a couple of Free For All Topics of my own.

Announcements:
  • Focus Group Winners: As promised... I drew five names of people who participated in yesterday's day long focus group (one person for each question posed). And the winners are: Round #1 = Nicole; Round #2: Kelly; Round #2 (since I didn't post at 9:00)  = CSPgrad; Round #4 = Heather; and Round #5 = Peggy.
  • Make Your Mark: Many of your suggestions for what to do with the excess markers were excellent. Our approach will be a compilation of proposals. Details will be forthcoming.
  • R.S.V.P. A.S.A.P.: I think we have a commitment from Heather, Katie and Cassie to host the first three Highlowaha Parties. Heather will take the month of November when she and her friends will celebrate a week of creative notions for maintaining friendships from a distance. Cassie, suggested the idea of hosting a baby shower for Melanie. Kelly from Montana chimed in sharing her exciting news, affirming that we're onto something with the whole baby shower idea. Any others out there? This would make a great topic for January when we ring in a new year. Cassie, Melanie, Kelly... can you muster up a few more pregnant mothers who might want to join our party? Katie, that leaves December for you. Any ideas about which circle of friends you want to invite?
  • It was a Dark and Stormy Night: We will embark on a highlowaha-blog-a-thon on Friday, October 24 in order to raise money for our Helping Hand holiday family. We will need 96 people to claim a fifteen minute block of time. And, during that time we will be co-authoring a scary Halloween story. It isn't too early to begin thinking about what block of time you would like to claim or to think about who you will invite to participate along with us. Lurkers, we NEED you!
Now for our Free For All-ing.
  • First, today we must vote on the secret ingredient for the showdown between Nicole and Julie in this week's Countdown to the Superbowl Throw Down. This week we are choosing between...
Mustard vs. Vanilla
  • Second, what are your predictions for this Sunday's Green Bay game... Green Bay or Tampa Bay? Remember, the person who comes closest to guessing the final score earns a gold star patch for his/her Patchwork denim.
  • Third and finally... share some of your simple ideas about how to celebrate Sunday's National Good Neighbor Day.
Signing off until tomorrow...

32 comments:

Julie said...

I vote VANILLA :)

GB over TB 27-21

Go rake your neighbor's leaves :)If they are older, and you have young kids, perhaps they would enjoy seeing them play in the leaves :)

Anonymous said...

vanilla

GB win 18-10

Why am I the one in this group NOT pregnant?! Seems a little ODD to me, but thats ok, I like babies. Maybe I will have a couple some day. BUT I will be more than willing to join in on our virtual baby shower. and YES, I just found out two days ago of another expecting woman- she is in my nursing program (non-traditional student!) who is also due on the same day as Melanie, April 10th! SO, she will of course, be invited to join us!!! YAY!

HAHA, rake the neighbors leaves...what leaves? They havent even started changing around here, let alone falling. I am grateful for that though... Gotta go to clinical! Gonna be late! I will be back later!

Anonymous said...

I think we might be giving scores a week early but...I say GB 24- TB 10

Good Neighbor ideas:
Pick their newspaper up in the morning and deliver it with a cup of coffee

Have one of your neighborhood grills (if you started one when Claudia offered up the idea) and invite your neighbors to enjoy the meal with you in celebration of good neighbors

Anonymous said...

oh and mustard

Cheryl Houston said...

TB to win 27-24

Mustard.

Katie said...

I vote Vanilla.

TB win 27-21.

I think I will invite both friends from undergrad and friends from graduate school. The topic will probably be Christmas on a budget. It will be people either in their first job or now in graduate school- all people not with a lot of money to spend on the holidays, but who may have a lot of people for which they need to buy.

Cheryl Houston said...

As far as the Friendly Neighbor Day... if they have kids plan a treasure hunt around their yard. Take over a treat. Make a sign and put it in their yard... Best Neighbor Award and put a thank you on it saying how much you appreciate them. Give them a plant. I agree with Heather... plan a Bring-Your-Own-Meat-Grill-Out-Front Party. Buy a Halloween decoration for their yard.

That's all I got. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello people. Julie, you took my score. I now pick GB 34 TB 10 because it will be a whooping. I also choose mustard. For those competing in the snacks, we finally received the weekly winner "award" provided by Struble Suds, and the first 2 winners were sent their item this week. I think my lovely wife will post a picture of this wonderful collectors item sometime today. Lastly tomorrow is Mattoberfest so everyone celebrate this day on your own way if you wish. I will be wearing by Struble Hosen while sipping Mattoberfest beer.

Katie said...

And as for my neighbors...all 240 of them, I'll probably bake some cookies and go buy some milk. Next week seems to be the big 'test week' around campus, so I think they'll need a study treat this weekend!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Katie... Brian, Kelly, and any of your other Res Lifers out there....

This is a perfect holiday to celebrate in your residence halls/apartments. What a perfect way to underscore that (1) you are a community, and (2) that we need to work toward being good neighbors.

Good thinking, Katie.

Katie said...

Mom: How did the basket do last night in the silent auction?!

Anonymous said...

I vote vanilla

I will take Tampaover Green Bay 31-24

Not sure how this fits into being a good neighbor but we have just had a program for our family housing community last night that was a STRESS LESS- massages, aromatherapy, relaxation tips, etc. Just trying to help these students manage their stress levels early on in the semester. Maybe some will be less stressed and more tolerable of their neighbors this week.

Our theme here is "building community" so we do a great deal of programming to get our neighbors out meeting each other with pizza parties, BBQs, biking, volleyball, bowling, kickball, etc..

I do know another gal who is expecting late may early June so I can see if she has time to join our blog- or at least the week we do our virtual blog.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Perfect, Kelly. Thanks for offering to invite your friend. If nothing else but for the week.

Then it's our job to make the experience so good, she couldn't contemplate leaving.

So far Vanilla is beating mustard by one vote. Any other voters out there?

maureen said...

Vanilla

green BAY 35-14

Anonymous said...

I vote for mustard...just to make things fun!

Anonymous said...

I vote for mustard...just to make things fun!
-Lurker

Brian K. Root said...

vanilla, for me.

Brian K. Root said...

Green Bay, 21-3

Anonymous said...

Mustard. And I'm only voting for it now because I don't want to have to cook with it later. I HATE it....yuck!

I'm picking GB to win, 24-21. Aaron Rodgers is gonna throw 3 TDs b/c he's my fantasy QB and I need to win this week :)

I just moved in to the apartment complex, so I'm not sure about what to do for my new neighbors. They are all crazy cat people...literally! I'll have to think on this one.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

ooohhhh...

Mustard and vanilla are tied! Each has six votes!

Thanks lurkers, for participating!

Peggy said...

If there is still time to vote, I vote for mustard.

Boo... how come there have only been two responses over at Reading Raynbow on the last blog post? I 'shore' liked the idea of a book club... has it been forgotten???

Claudia, did you ever hear anything back from Maria Shriver or her camp for your lunch date?

Anonymous said...

I vote for Mustard

GB will win by a score of 31-13.

As for "good neighbor" ideas, how about going to introduce yourself to the person 2 (or 3) houses down from you. Chances are you may already have some type of friendship with your neighbor, but what about your neighbor once, twice or three times removed?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Current votes...

Vanilla, 6
Mustard, 8

I will keep voting open until after the debates tonight. Imagine me glued to CNN watching the debates and tallying votes.

If I would have thought of it, maybe we could have had our own national debate on the virtues of vanilla over mustard or.. mustard over vanilla.

Maybe next time.

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

I vote vanilla

Anonymous said...

Sorry that this post is late in the day - it's a little busy at our house. We'll sort of have neighbor appreciation day tomorrow - at Mattoberfest. With all our neighbors there it will be great. We'll have pictures up later this weekend. Trust me you'll have to see Matt's special outfit.
Also, on www.strublesuds.blogspot.com you can now see a picture of the weekly prize for the Super Bowl competition. Tera & Richard - I mailed yours today.
I vote vanilla - just to be different. And.. GB to win 29-17

Katie said...

Yay for the presidential debate! I'm off to my supervisor's house for some staff fun, but I just finished setting the VCR to tape it. Enjoy your Friday night, everyone!

Katie said...

Just an update:
I was just on the phone with mom and she says for our basket they raised between $100 and $110.

Overall for the whole event they raised about $10,000. I know there were t-shirts, multiple baskets, etc for the event!

I just thought you might all be interested.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Oh no. It's tied again! Vanilla 8 votes. Mustard 8 votes. Which will it be? We need some more people to come forward and to break the tie.

Lurkers, lurkers... are you out there? Help us break the tie.

Any other fun Good Neighbor Appreciation Day ideas?

I love what we've come up with so far.

Anonymous said...

VANILLA!

Anonymous said...

difinitely vanilla

green bay 23

tampa bay 17

Anonymous said...

my fave vanilla

azlori said...

Vanilla

TB over GB 27-21

Neighbors: Coupon book....lawn care, cookies, pet/plant sitting while they are on vacation, babysitting, etc...