Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pirattitude: Get Your Name On

Ahoy Thar, Me Hearties!  Only four days until National Talk Like a Pirate Day and our fun-filled night of Pirate Bingo.  Oh... to attend me party is one thing, but to host ye own party... now that would really be something!

Hosting a celebration can be as involved as inviting people over to your home or as simple - as showing up to your weekly meeting with a special treat.  This is one of those celebrations so unexpected and with so little expectation (if any), that you can't help but be a big hit.  Besides... Highlowaha is about slowing down long enough to celebrate life's simple pleasures - especially when the simple pleasure is as silly as talking like a pirate.  

So don't tune me out, thinking I'm talking to some veteran highlowaha reader or to a more involved reader.  I'm not.  I'm actually talking to you both.  Entertain the idea.  Hear me out and consider organizing some kind of celebrati
on... big or small.  All you have to do today is decide who you would like to invite/involve.

Take a second and think.  Who's someone simple you can invite over?  You know what I'm talking about... someone low maintenance, but who will appreciate your fun side.  The point isn't to create unnecessary work for yourself.  Instead, the point is to use National Talk Like a Pirate Day as excuse to connect with a friend(s), help raise money for Highlowaha's Helping Hand Christmas Project, or as an excuse to exercise your creativity.  

As for who I'll invite?  Nan Anderson, my neighbor.  She also has three kids and a husband who travels.  If I invite Nan and her kids, she'll understand that our gathering is meant to be casual and that anything I provide will be considered "over-delivering."  It'll be a simple chance for our kids to eat dinner together and they'll be gone before Pirate Bingo starts at 8:00 CST. Perfect.

How about you?

Invitations.  That's the only thing we need to do today in order to assure we have people at our gatherings.  If we have to choose between a no-frills invitation and no invitation, we'll go no-frills.  Sure, we could make some elaborate invitations on tea stained paper, with burned edges, and a gothic looking font.  But, we're into no-frills because that's what we have time for. Instead we'll opt for an email, an evite, a handwritten note, knocking on people's doors with a verbal invitation, or leave a simple voice mail message.  

The most creative invitation we can create in the least amount of time.  That's our goal.

Here's the good news...

So big is this underworld of pirate-lovers that there are websites you can visit to access a Pirate Dictionary AND websites you can visit to get your very own Pirate Name!  Imagine how much more fun your (written or verbal) invitation will be if done in Pirate-ese.

So, here's what we'll do to start building excitement for Friday's Pirate Bingo and hopefully to motivate you to do host your own gathering in celebration of National Talk Like a Pirate Day (with our Pirate Bingo game as part of your evening activity).

First, visit http://www.piratequiz.com/ to get your very own pirate name.  Next, visit http://www.io.com/~sj/Pirate Talk.html to brush up on your pirate lingo.  Use what you learn to make a post sharing your plans for Friday.  

Hosting a Pirate Bingo Party?  Delivering a pirate party favor?  Dressing in red and black? Signing all your memos in ye pirate name?  Whatever it is, make a post today using your best pirate lingo, signed in your new pirate name and your name will automatically go in the drawing for one of the SIX prizes that don't get claimed by Friday night's Virtual Bingo winners!  

Announcements:
  • Virtual Pirate Bingo:  Come one, come all to highlowaha's Friday night fundraiser.  In an effort to raise money for the family we adopted this holiday season, highlowaha readers will play three rounds of Bingo.  And, in honor of National Talk Like A Pirate Day, we'll add a twist... Pirate Bingo.  In this exciting version, prizes get won and prizes get plundered.  Where the booty finally lands, nobody quite knows.  Check out yesterday's post (9/15) to get the details.  I need Bingo cards by Friday at 3:00.  
  • Virtual Pirate Bingo Prizes:  Also outlined yesterday are the nine great gifts that can be won.  A few more details about Spa-in-a-Box.  It includes... Bath and Body Works gel; a candle; Oil of Olay Bath Products; the ever appropriate chocolate; and two books written by Nicholas Sparks.  Also, below is a picture of the Limited Edition Highlowaha t-shirt that can be yours.  
  • Countdown to the Super Bowl:  This week's secret ingredient is garlic.  Tera and Stacie are facing off in the Half Time Snack Throw Down.  Hopefully their entries are in the making and will be shipped off in the next couple of days.  Friday we will make predictions about Sunday's score, so that the person who comes closest can win a gold star (just like Cheryl did last week!).
  • Reading Raynbow:  I've been told there will be some sort of update on the Reading Raynbow blog today.  Click on the link in the top right hand side of my blog.  
  • Helping Hand:  Speaking of updates, Brian sent an email today letting me know the Helping Hand blog has been updated.  Check it out.
  • Paint the Town Red: Remember to save your Coke Reward Codes, so we can donate them to Heather's friend, Julie who is sick with a terminal disease.  We have Regional Director for all regions except, MAAHLA (Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Wisconsin) and GLAHLA (South Dakota, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota).  If you live in any of the states listed and want to help with this initiative, please contact me (cbeeny@lslog.com) or post a comment.  The time commitment is minimal, but the impact BIG!   Once I have all Regional Directors in place, I will post contact information and the specific process we will use for collecting Coke Reward Numbers. 
This is Dirty Charity Flint signing off until tomorrow, me buckos...

31 comments:

Reading RAYnbow said...

Hello Avid Readers!

Please check the Reading Raynbow site today for some final prompts as we conclude The Last Lecture!!!

maureen said...

Well I just got my pirate name its IRON ANN RACKHAM I cant even say it without laughing. It sounds so "BEASTLY". I tried to get the pirate lingo but it wont work. I will get back with more when I learn some new words HA HA!!!

Anonymous said...

Ahoy Thar mateys!
This be Dread Pirate Rackham and me very best cousin Iron Ann Rackham makes a bloody good point. That thar pirate lingo page don't work as well as a land lubber for a sea cap'n.

Kat said...

Arrrr! Dirty Mary Rackham here, you scurvy bilge rats! Me be collectin' the points from me grog!

azlori said...

Ok, ok, what is it with the Rackham family? They must rule the sea! But will the real Dirty Mary Rackham please stand up? We must all have a lot in common for their to be so many Rackhams and 2 Dirty Mary Rackhams! Will Kat or I have to walk the plank or one of us become a land lubber since we both have the handle of Dirty Mary Rackham? Or maybe we star in the Bob Newhart pirate sitcom...this is my sister Dirty Mary and my other sister Dirty Mary....

Anonymous said...

ARRR!! belay that talk! ive got the best name of all!

Mad Bess Rackham!! haha

Friday night fore pirate bingo im goin to babysit me a little lad and lassie. so mad bess just might bring over some fun pirate booty and play pirates! If they be not careful, Ill make them walk the plank!

Anonymous said...

http://gangstaname.com/pirate_name.php


Try this site instead.

maureen said...

Aye Matey!!!! Shiver me timbers its already 10 AM. No more swashbucklin I must go swab the deck before gettin a floggin wit the cat o' nine tails!!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

http://www.io.com/~sj/PirateTalk.html

Try the above link for Pirate Talk.

Cheryl Houston said...

Ahoy! Mad Ethel Bonney, here! Gangway, arrr! Me hearties, the little Bonney lads, me sister Dirty Anne Roberts and her wee lass and cousin Red Mary Flint are warning ye now. We be pillaging your loot and stuffing ye in Davy Jones' locker. Yo-ho-ho! Fair winds!

Anonymous said...

On a non-pirate related note, I thought I'd share the HLA Fantasy Football team updates!

Heater 2-0-0
Brian 1-0-1 (and put up 167 points this week...that's crazy if you know anything about fantasy)
Katie K 1-0-1
Julie, Tera & Treye 1-1-0
Bal & Lori 0-2-0

Pick your favorite competetor and cheer them on to victory!

Anonymous said...

Claudia -

Where should we be sending our snacks to for Football?

Cheryl Houston said...

Go Heater!

LOL!

Anonymous said...

I know Heater is heating things up!

Anonymous said...

Coke Rewards information:

I just drank a bottle of Minute Maid juice and imagine my surprise to learn that these caps ALSO have coke rewards points attached to them. So for all you pepsi drinkers perhaps you partake in Minute Maid juice.

For all my coordinators: Please forward me an email with your codes as you collect them so that I can enter them each day. I'll keep a running tally of what region sends which points so you might also identify your region in the email so there isn't any confusion.

For all my SWAHLA members you can begin sending me your codes as I'll be coordinating our region.

Anonymous said...

Can the regional coordinators please post their addresses so we can start sending our coke codes?

Katie said...

The Southern Association of High, Low, Aha (SAHLA) can send their codes to me at:
kkolkmeier@gmail.com

The states in this region are:
Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

See post from Satruday, 9/13 to discover your region:

NEAHLA: Maureen, maureenperes@mac.com
PAHLA: Quynh, quinniequynh@yahoo.com
CAAHLA: Tera, tmichalski05@jcu.edu
SAHLA: Katie, kkolkmeier@gmail.com
SWAHLA: Heather, heatherlsnow@gmail.com
IAHLA: Lori, azlori@cox.net

Still Need Regional Directors for:
MAAHLA:
GLAHLA: Cassie P or Peggy?

Peggy said...

Sure I will be head up GLAHLA...
Arrgh!! Ahoy!

Can we transfer coke points???? I don't know how it all works, but my dad has an account with about 270 points and I spoke to him and we'd gladly give them up for this cause.... but Heather can you tell me what to do??
my email is:
prdesigns1@sbcglobal.net
and check out my blog to a few more pics of my donation for bingo, the 12 pak card stack
http://prdesigns.blogspot.com

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Thanks, Peggy... on all accounts. First, for offering to serve as Regional Director for the GLAHLA region and also for offering up your dad's point.

And, I might add, for the handmade greeting cards. People should take a gander before Friday night, so you can see exactly how great they are before winning snagging them up.

Anonymous said...

Peggy,
Thanks for the offer but it doesn't look like we can transfer points that have already been entered.
But start collecting codes now and we'll enter them onto our account for Julie.

Anonymous said...

Hey! If you live in:

*Delaware
*Maryland
*New Jersey
*Ohio
*Pennsylvania
*Washington D.C.
*West Virginia

Please send your Coke Rewards my way so I can get them to Heather ASAP.

You can email me: tmichalski05@jcu.edu

or you can snail mail whatever you need to:
Tera Johnson
2590 North Moreland
E22
Shaker Heights, OH 44120

Anonymous said...

PEGGY!

I tried to post on your site, but I don't have a google user name, so it wouldn't let me.

Anywho, I was wondering if you had any "Just saying Hello" type cards. I'd love to buy them from you. Email me and let me know (tmichalski05@jcu.edu).

Thanks!

Cheryl Houston said...

Heather- there's an update just for you at my site.

Katie said...

Just took some time to figure out my pirate name- you can just call me Mad Bethel Rackham from now on!

Cheryl Houston said...

Argh! there's too many Rackhams! the Bonny's will have to swab the deck with ye all or make ye walk the plank before me has a mutiny on me hands!

Anonymous said...

My pirate name is Red Bess Kidd . Any other Kidd's out there or are Cheryl and I gonna have to team up against all the Rackhams?

Cheryl Houston said...

That's Mad Ethel to you, Red Bess!

Cheryl Houston said...

Or... Arrgh! that's Mad Ethel to YE, Red Bess!

Anonymous said...

Ahoy Me-Buckos.

Shiver me timbers. I've been without internet access since Sunday due to power outages all over me city. Me lad and lassies will be very excited to talk like Pirates on Friday.

Fair Winds, Mad Ethel Flint

maureen said...

Give Heather a prize for all the ideas she has thought up. She knows how to keep the ball rolling........