Friday, September 12, 2008

Free For All Friday: Buckets, Bowls, and Bingo

T.G.I.F.  Today is the kind of day I bound out of bed, excited to make my daily post.  We have lots of things to look forward to and I can't wait to share!  Sit up straight and get an extra cup of coffee.  You'll need it to get through all the excitement.

You didn't think I would launch right into our Free For All without first sharing the final blog idea generated by our creative and loyal Taste of USA participants?  Did you?  

Not a chance.  

In fact, one of the topics for today's Free For All is actually compliments of an idea that emanated from the women taking two random items and combining them to see what they could come up with.  First the items...

Julie and Katie
Message in a bottle and some kind of physical therapy tool of pain 

The message in a bottle was, for them, a symbol of new adventures.  The tool of pain, they decided, resembled a bridge with detours (or decision points) along the way.  So short, sweet, and to the point was their analysis, that it's almost poetic....

Pursuing adventures while traveling the twists and turns of the road called, "Life."

Their suggestion was made more perfect when the duo likened their idea to the notion of The Bucket List.  The idea, based on the movie, The Bucket List, simply suggests making a list of things you want to do before you, "kick the bucket."

Julie has actually already given thought to her bucket list and shared some of the items on her list with the rest of the group.  The item I most remember, and on which I was invited to to follow up, later in life, is... 

"Own land with a willow tree and a stone fence."

So I thought one of our Free For All topics for today could be items we might include on our "Bucket List."  I will share some of mine, but first more exciting news and Highlowaha adventure.

Countdown to the Super Bowl:  It is the time in the week when we must warm up our taste buds and let our voices be heard.  What will the secret ingredient be for next week's Half-time Snack Throw Down?  Stacie and Tera will go head to head for this competition, scheduled for Sunday, September 21.  The ingredients you are choosing between this week are... 

Cinnamon or Garlic

Highlowaha Plays BINGO for a Cause:  Mark Your Calendars!  Next Friday night Highlowaha will host its second Virtual Party.  Virtual Bingo!  Goal...  raise money for the family we adopted for our Holiday Helping Hand Project.  We have committed to supplying this Pennsylvania family with enough money to cook a holiday dinner, have a tree, and to purchase presents for the five children.  Now we need to get busy making good on our word.  Here's are some important things to know in preparation of next Friday's fun.
  • Mark you calendar... Friday, September 19 at 8:00 CST 
  • We will play three rounds of Bingo.
  • Each person will create their own Bingo card and then send it to me either electronically or by mail.  To create your own card all you do is: (1) write the letters B-I-N-G-O at the top of your page; (2) Select five numbers for each letter.  Numbers are as follows: B, between 1-15; I, between 16-30; N, between 31-45; G, between 46-60; 0, between 61-75; (3) Remember the "free spot" in column "N" center spot. 
  • You can enter one card for $3.00 or enter 3 cards for $5.00.  Money should be mailed to me at 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, TX. 76051.  Every dime will go toward our Helping Hand initiative. 
  • Create Your Invite List and Think Big:  If you're a hall director, consider a hall program (or at least a staff team builder).  If you're a mom, consider inviting your children's friends over for an extra special night of staying up late and helping this cause.  If you're single or married without kids... even easier.  How about inviting your friends and neighbors over?  This is the perfect opportunity to build your own community while helping our community.  We must use this as an opportunity to expand our reach.
  • Prizes.  The winner of each round will win a prize.  That's where you all come in.  I am looking for generous people to donate prizes or money.  The better the prizes, the more likely people are to play.  I need five great prizes.  Please email me at cbeeny@lslog.com if you are able/willing to donate something.  I will donate one.  That leaves four more. If necessary, I will combine a few items into a gift basket.  Everything is appreciated. 
  • More info coming your way as the week progresses.
Lurkers... this means you too!  I respect your interest in reading our site and not posting comments.  Not a problem.  This time around, however, it will take a village to make good on our commitment to this family.  We need your help.  You can remain a lurker and still participate in Virtual Bingo (unless of course you win... at which point you can use an alias)!

Spread the word!!!  There's even more fun, but I can't spill the beans all at once.  Oh, are we going to have a good week next week?!?!

Back to my Bucket List.  Some of the items on include: 
  • Read a biography of each former president
  • Attend an Olympic event
  • Write a book
  • Host a black tie affair
  • Visit New Zealand
  • Learn how to wear eye makeup
  • Own a cabin in the mountains, and...
  • Make $150.00 next Friday night for our Helping Hand family.
Let's hear from you today...
  • What's on your bucket list?
  • Which do you vote... Cinnamon or Garlic?
  • Who will you invite to Virtual Bingo, or... 
  • Whatever other topic you want to throw our way...
Signing off until tomorrow...

32 comments:

Julie said...

From the Physical Therapist who supplied the "tool of pain" ... a little humorous clarification ... if used correctly it does not cause pain :) It actually can be used by anyone to help with "knots" that show up in your back or a variety of other parts of your body where muscles hurt.

A few people in Philly were interested in it ...

http://www.theracane.com/

AND, since I have a sweet tooth ... I'm going to vote for Cinnamon!

A shout out to all of our Texas readers ..... is anyone in imminent danger of Hurricane Ike?

Anonymous said...

i vote garlic!

and PS for those who know me...i got all my hair cut off!

bucket list to come later, must leave for clinical!

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Julie, for clarifying the theracane. The massage therapist in me wanted to do that, but you beat me to the punch. Gotta' keep this post short, as I have an early start at the conference this morning, but couldn't resist posting.

I vote for cinnamon, if my vote even counts. And I'm pretty sure I'm in for bingo, but will have to think about who I might invite to join the fun. Virtual bingo is an awesome idea!

Just a few of the many things on my bucket list:

Have a water birth
Catch a baby as it is born (my own or someone else's)
Write and publish a book and/or play
Own a vacation home or condo with an ocean view

Julie said...

And just an FYI ... Katie and I worked well together on this creative challenge on Saturday ... but this Sunday we face off against each other in our Fantasy Football League!! Monday I'll post results of the league for those not playing but who want to see how we're doing.

And Stacie ... you're welcome. Seeing the phrase "tool of pain" made me smile! And, not that I've had the experience of birthing a child yet ... but I'm curious as to how one might catch her own child!

maureen said...

I vote garlic too!

Cheryl as for the naked thing, in my dreams I am the only one that seems to care.

Claudia, as for my BINGO list I will get back to you on that. I know me and my two girls will definitely participate but beyond that I have to get back to you.

my list:

Pay off my house
Buy another house to "FLIP"
Go to Spain, Portugal and Italy
Write a book
Start a business of my OWN (like party planning_
Meet everyone from HLA

Anonymous said...

What's on your bucket list?
-Raise children to be happy, confident people
-Visit Hawaii
-Visit Ireland
-Renew my vows at least once
-Write a book
-Pay for my daughter's wedding
-Own a formal dining room that gets used at least once a month
-Be President of a University

Which do you vote... Cinnamon or Garlic?
Cinnamon

Who will you invite to Virtual Bingo, or...
Good question...I'll try to get some people to "buy in"

Whatever other topic you want to throw our way...

Peggy said...

~Please Help~
In a few short sentences, how do YOU describe HLA to other people? (a neighbor, other internet communities, your family) I haven't met 'the one' who has time for me to explain the cool things here, or they think I'm some bored mom rattling on as their eyes wonder over my shoulder, or it sounds like a scam (send $5 to Texas and you will be helping with a RAK for a teacher to receive markers).
~ Just wondering ~

Cinnamon

Anonymous said...

Peggy,
I describe it as a great online blog full of creative ideas and energy.
And I always tell people to give it a week of reading so that they don't just see our community and get intimidated but give it some time to jump in.

Anonymous said...

Confession and Request

I've been struggling this week and been kind of in the dumps and partly to blame is HLA...no you didn't do anything wrong.
The discussion on Friends sent me in a bit of a tizzy and now I'm coming to you guys to help me out of the tailspin I'm in.

I have one amazing friend from high school who went on to march drum corps with me and we have stayed in touch since. Almost two years ago this dear friend, Julie, was having problems communicating (she'd say yes when she meant no and no when she meant yes) and we laughed it off as stress related. This however began a slow decline leading up to last year when she was diagnosed with Pick's Disease which is a slow atrophy of the frontal temporal lobe of the brain. Basically, my dear friend Julie is slowly disappearing and being replaced by a child and I have no choice but to watch it all happen.
But...I know that I can still make a difference to Julie and even more so to her Mom, Joy who has given up everything to give Julie an amazing last few years (life expectancy is 5 years from onset).

So I'm turning to you my HLA friends on this Free for all Friday...what can I do (we do?) to help Julie and her family?

I'll throw out the first idea...Julie LOVES coca cola...seriously I think she has always had an addiction. But with money having to go to cover medical costs and therapy costs saving money even on the little things helps. So...I ask HLA readers to save all those Coke rewards points you typically toss with the cap and send them to me so that I can get them to Joy who enters them religiously to earn free coke for Julie.

What other ideas can you come up with?

For more on Julie's story visit her caringbridge site:

www.caringbridge.com/visit/juliez
or
www.juliesfund.blogspot.com

Katie said...

My bucket list is a work in progress, but here is what I have so far:
- Drive route 66 from beginning to end
- Step foot on all 7 continents
- Own a Jeep Cherokee
- Help my mother own her house with a large front porch like she has always wanted
- Take my parents to Australia to show them the part of the world that opened my eyes to so much and that I called home for 4 months
- Participate in Relay for Life every year
- Be a basketball coach for young girls

I vote garlic!
As for Bingo, I'll be talking to my staff about this and I know Funsies and Kristen will hopefully be coming over to play!

Cheryl Houston said...

So much to cover...

I vote for Garlic.

Virtual Bingo- I'm in and I will have visitors staying with me so they're in too whether they like it or not.

Bucket list- my first response is that I don't have one because if I go to Greece fine, but if I don't that's okay, too. I'll have to ponder this today.

Heather- I'm sorry to hear about your friends condition. I have no grand solution for you. I will certainly save the coke rewards... do they post those on the boxes when you buy them?

Tool of pain- I can't believe I didn't make it home with that in my suitcase! :)

Happy Friday.

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
I'm not sure if they put them on the boxes or not, I'm most familiar with the twist caps.

Chaotic Kristi said...

Let's hear from you today...
* What's on your bucket list?
* Which do you vote... Cinnamon or Garlic?

CINNAMON!! Hands down.... all sorts of magickal uses...

before I die? I wanna live life FULLY. See my son graduate college. Visit Crete.

wont be bingo'ing...we have ppl coming in from coast for weekend...

Katie said...

Challenge:

I would like to challenge everyone here at HLA to a little competition! Knowing how competitive you all are, I know this will probably go over well!

We here at Hillside (the residence hall in which I live) are having an inter-floor competition to see who can gather the most amount of coke rewards codes for Heather and her friend! Of course it helps that JMU is a coke school so all vending machines have coke rewards bottles in them...but I challenge each of you to create some competition in your community to help Heather and her friend!

How about having a competition at your child's school among the classrooms? How about having a competition in your classroom if you're a teacher? How about having a competition among the departments in your division if you work in Higher Ed? Mom, how about among the homerooms at SHDHS? Let's see some coke rewards, folks!

Anonymous said...

Heather - Claudia just gave me a quick call about your friend and the coke rewards. See, I also, have a serious Coke addiction. I am so sorry to hear about your friend's diagnosis. There is nothing worse than slowly losing a loved one to a degenerating disease.
Regarding the Coke Rewards Program, Claudia wanted me to pass on that the rewards are only on the twist off caps. And only on bottles that are 20 oz. or above.

On another note - I vote garlic. Gotta love it!

Off to do more shopping for my tween queen's birthday party.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I just spoke on the phone with Julie's Mom and she informed me that they receive 3 points for every bottle cap entered, 10 points for every 12 pack entered and 20 points for every 24 pack entered.
So everything counts.
I'm not sure where the codes are on the boxes but I'm sure they can be easily identified.

Thanks for everyone embracing this concept...any other ideas on ways to help?

funsies said...

Garlic. Yum.

As for the bucket list:
*visit all seven continents
*learn to play guitar then write a song
*hold a political office
*learn two new languages
*skydive
... just a taste...

As for bingo, I have no idea how I can participate as of yet, but I do have a really fun and creative way to play!

Its kind of gross, so consider yourself warned. You need a patch of land that is marked off in squares and a well fed animal. The patches of land can be auctioned off and the animal (usually a cow or dog depending on where you live) placed on the grid. The owner of the square where the first dog pooh or cow pie lands wins! Its a little random, but people get weirdly into it!

Anonymous said...

I have to say I love cspagradstudent bucket list since she wants to do so much for me. list.

I do not keep a list of things I want to complish. Mine is more when something wonderful happens I add to the list.
2 children graduating college
giving daughter her dream college and trip
son finding true love
beating cancer
still having both parents.

Heather,
we are a pepsi school but my mom drinks cokes so I let her know to start saving her points. Also, there is web site called craigslist and you can list things on there. There is a place called items wanted. Put it on there and see if you get any takes to help. If you need help with this talk to Katie she can help you.

Julie said...

Heather, I just logged on really quickly ... I just got home from work and am heading to my parents house for the weekend. I will keep you, Julie, and Joy in my thoughts and prayers this weekend, and will have something of more substance to offer come Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I'm out for Bingo next week. I'll be in Erie at my parents and they still have dial up internet (I know, can you believe that still exists!?). Their computer is old as dirt and it takes forever just to turn on.

Treye will be in Cleveland all alone, so you may be able to get him to play.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Hello everyone...

A couple of quick notes based on replies from today...

Chaotic... our Bingo game is next weekend (I think you might have thought this weekend). Even still... out of town visitors... that makes it even more fun! Bring -em along.

Tera... bummer on your inability to participate. All will be saved if you can get Treye to participate (maybe he can even play a card for you).

I have decided anyone who hosts a BINGO party of five or more people will earn a patch for his/her patchwork attire! I will announce again tomorrow, but help spread the word.

I am still waiting for people to help me gather some prizes (gift cards, books, etc...). I've already decided, the theme of my prize is going to be...

HALLOWEEN IN A BOX!

So far the winning spice for next weekend's Throw Down is GARLIC, by one. Get on a vote before midnight (CST) tonight.

Peggy posed a fun question about how to talk about HLA. I've been milling it over and will have some thoughts come Monday. Thanks for the mental challenge, Peggy.

Anonymous said...

I'll donate a great box filled with fun craft scissors, hole punches and corner cutters for the BINGO event!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Thanks, Heather. That's two prizes down and three great prizes to go.

Are you feeling the Highlowaha Philanthropy Spirit running through our blog? I love it. ...Using our creativity to help our communities.

Katie said...

I'll donate a 'movie night' in a box.

Anonymous said...

So basically our theme so far is "in a box"
Halloween in a box
Movie Night in a box
Craftiness in a box

What's next people?

Anonymous said...

i will pamper your self in a box. Lotions, soap and things like that.

Anonymous said...

sorry I will donate a box of pampering things.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Nice. Thanks, Katie!

Three prizes down and two more to go.

Anonymous said...

2 $20.00 Target Gift cards.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Thanks, Toni. I will add it to the list of prizes to be won.

I appreciate your support.

maureen said...

Claudia, How about a "rainy day in a box" I will put activities for kids to do during rainy days maybe even slip one in for moms.... Otherwise if you would prefer money just let me know

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Maureen... I love it. I actually like the idea of at least one prize geared especially toward kids. I expect there will be at least a few playing BINGO with us and I like the idea there is a treat designed especially with kids in mind.

PERFECT. Rainy day in a box. Question? Will it include some sunshine? We could use a little of that in Texas, right now.