Monday, September 29, 2008

Post Office Prank... Read On

Happy Monday Morning, everyone.

To be creative you have to read.  That's my latest kick.  I know we're all busy and the last thing we feel like we have time for is another item on your to-do list.  I know.  When I was in graduate school I dreamt about the day my dissertation would be done and I would have a moment of free time to read whatever I wanted...  the Sunday paper, the latest Oprah Book Club selection, or one of the many New Yorker magazines collecting dust, but never getting more than the six minutes of my attention (just long enough to read the cartoons and scan the Table of Contents).
  
Then I accepted a position working full time...  Then Matthew.  Then Jack.  And all of a sudden I was back to cereal boxes and road signs for leisure reading.

If I have valued anything about not working the past months, I have valued time to read.  I get to scan the paper every morning and actually enjoy books and articles... of my choice.  I love knowing what's going on in the world around me, but I also love how reading literally makes me more creative.  

I read and I make connections between two things that days ago were seemingly disconnected. Highlowaha just celebrated National Cream Filled Donut Day and days later I noticed an article about a new children's book that was published titled, The Donut Chef, by Bob Staake.  Then Friday I read the Wall Street Journal and an article appeared about the Annual Guinness Book of World Records.  One of the record breaking categories was tallest stack of donuts, achieved by stacking one on top of another.  Then Sunday, I read an article about the fact that Dunkin Donuts was making a resurgence in the Dallas Fort Worth area.  One topic and, in the span of a week, three related articles.  To you that might seem like superfluous information, but to me food for feeding my creativity.  I don't know how I'll use all three of those pieces of information, but eventually I will.

I have a collection of articles I've cut out and labeled "highlowaha."  There are articles about people or events that I might someday want to share with you - the readers.

Today's post is one of those topics.  Today's idea came from an article in the Wall Street Journal on Friday, September 12, titled The New Pranksters.  It tells of websites and blogs like the Urban Prankster Network, GuerilLA, and Art of the Prank where people organize in their own city's (and nationally) to perform "stunts."  Creators of these stunts dream up outlandish scenarios and then try to make them happen.  One prank sited was having 15 identical twins dress up in identical outfits, fill a New York subway car and mirror each others actions, without explanation.  Other examples were people gathering in a public place and dancing to music no one else could hear or people looking like zombies, smeared with fake blood, and wandering the streets of San Francisco. 

I was intrigued by the idea of people coming together to do something harmless, but something we suspected could yield responses of surprise or laughter.

Then I remembered reader Julie.  Julie mailed me a cake.  Literally, mailed me a cake.  She took this freshly baked cake, walked into the post office, and announced to the postman her intent to mail it from New York to Dallas, Texas.  According to Julie, the first words out of the postman's mouth were, "You're kidding, right?"  Needless to say... the cake wasn't exactly recognizable when it arrived, but it makes for a GREAT story and I'll derive joy from it for years to come (in a way that even cake can't compete).

As a blog we've touched on the pains of mailing, mailing unconventional items, and some of us have engaged in a fair amount mailing since coming together as a community, but we've never talked about playing a collective prank on the United States Post Office!  Now before you begin worrying about federal offenses and the like, let me assure you... I am talking about a harmless and creative prank.

Here's what it would look like...  On a designated date readers of highlowaha will agree to visit their local post office to mail a package.  The prank is that we will use our creativity to think of the most outlandish thing we can mail.  I just ran this by my husband and he suggested a gold fish.  I will leave the creativity up to you.  You decide what you want to mail... AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T BREAK ANY LAWS!  Then, you will come back and report to the group the experience you had.  It will make for a great day of fun and laughter.

We will mail one week from tomorrow - Tuesday, October 7.  And, I have the perfect mailing address.  I don't want to drone on forever.  Today's post is already verging on too long, with the limited amount of time you have to read.  Suffice it to say, I have a good friend who for reasons I'm not quite sure - I have not spoken to in FAR TOO LONG.  It is time for us to break the ice and reconnect.  This would be the PERFECT ice breaker and just the stunt for me to finally take the plunge.  And, on top of all that...  October 7 is her birthday.  Though the packages won't be arriving on her birthday, it will be a thoughtful gesture in honor of her birthday.

To recap.  Highlowaha will play our own version of the New Pranksters.  On Tuesday, October 7 readers with the spirit of #218 (see post from 9/18, for most recent explanation) will mail the most outlandish, unpackaged item you can come up with.  Once mailed you will return to highlowaha and tell us about your experience.  Before then I will reconnect with my friend and alert her that "mail" will be coming her way.  With a little bit of luck, she will report back to us letting us know what arrived and the condition of each.  Maybe I'll even develop some award categories (most original, biggest, smallest, etc...).

The address you will be mailing to is:
T. Shay 
5600 Ostrom Avenue
Encino, CA 91316

One more reminder... the package you will be sending is to be unpackaged.  In other words... you are NOT to place it in a box or mailing envelope.  You will put the address directly on the item and attempt to mail that!  An inflated beach ball, a plank of wood, an apple... you get the gist. 

I'm getting more excited as I type, so I just decided this will be a "patch yielding" event.  Mail something to T. Shay at the address listed above and earn a patch for your patchwork denim. ( See 8/7 Patchwork for more details).

I'm off to read the paper for more fun ideas.  Signing off until tomorrow... 

22 comments:

maureen said...

So Claudia you want to get us all committed!! Wow October is a buy month. Im thinking of something good. Although I dont think the post office will have much to laugh about. They are so "uptight" around here.

Julie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I guess you can call me a ROOKIE at the post office ... since I didn't seem to think anything of mailing a cake in a box across several state lines and a time zone!

I can't wait ... but my dilemma is this: this cake that I mailed I did so without any foresight into what condition it would reach Texas ... now I'm actually going to think of something ridiculous to mail!

Question pertaining to my submission for this week's Countdown to the Superbowl ... does it have to be edible or can it be incredients to make a drink?

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

I also have questions about the SuperBowl showdown. Where do we mail it? How many do we need to serve. I tried looking up this information from past entries but couldn't find it.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Nicole and Julie...

The only criteria for the Superbowl Throw Down is that your submission must be able to be served in a bowl!

The mailing address is:
Struble Suds
c/o Matt and Cristine Struble
2616 Champion Rd.
Naperville, IL 60564

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

One more thing, based on Maureen's earlier comment. The emphasis on our Post Office Prank is NOT on sending T. Shay a serious birthday gift. The emphasis is on the "guttsiness" with which you pick your item.

Remember... my examples were things like an apple or a plank of wood. Nothing of serious expense.

azlori said...

T Shay is sooo going to get you for this! Sounds like fun tho!

azlori said...

Is this her big 40?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Lori...

According to my calculations it should be!

Katie said...

Hmmm...what to mail, what to mail? I'm sure the JMU mail people will really LOVE ME after this one. I'll have to think this over.

Anonymous said...

The first thing I thought of after reading your post was the time ya'll mailed a coconut to Daniel from the Keys. An ACTUAL coconut. He was beyond excited and amazed. Do you know that that very coconut still lives in his room?

Off to the orthodonist.......again.
Susan
p.s. Claudia - did you get your "package" of reading materials this weekend?

azlori said...

Should we all drop her a bday card that would get there on time but send it anonymously? It would be kind of cool if we could fill her mail box as well....maybe 40 cards since she is going to be 40! It would be kind of cool tohave a bunch of cards coming from all different places!

Cheryl Houston said...

Julie... send straws! HA!

:)

hmmm... what to mail.

Cheryl Houston said...

Claudia- are my calculation correct in saying MT-Kelly won the GB-TB score?

Brian K. Root said...

Hello, friends...

Make sure to check out the "Helping Hands" blog today. It's our MONDAY UPDATE.

http://mrhelpinghand.blogspot.com/

Brian K. Root said...

On Nervousness.org, a site I frequent on and off again, they call this "naked mail." Mailing things that aren't packaged.

This should be fun!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

A few responses...

Lori, I love the idea of people sending anonymous birthday cards and it would be great to muster up 40 people who might be willing. How about we keep it informal. If you are so willing.. send a birthday card to the address posted on today's blog, wishing T. Shay a happy 40th birthday and maybe clueing her in to the fact that something wacky is coming her way. Then, let us know if you sent one and we can keep track of the total number.

Lori, I appreciate your creativity - especially in light of your feelings about visiting the post office.

Cheryl... my trusty and faithful bookkeeper. Yes, Kelly you are our lucky winner of the week. A gold star for your Patchwork Denim will be forthcoming.

Susan, I did not get the reading materials yet, but I will wait with anticipation!

Cheryl Houston said...

My football counselor actually reminded me this morning. You know how I'm into collecting those patches. Congratulations Kelly!

Anonymous said...

Claudia, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your birthday October 7 too? I vote for filling Claudia's mailbox with fun - cards, treats, etc. She SO deserves it.

Anonymous said...

What to mail...what to mail....

Anonymous said...

Ohh a drink for the super bowl -that could be interesting. If you only knew the crowd.... want to see who you're serving.
Check out Matt's new outfit at www.strublesuds.blogspot.com or www.strublesuds.com.
The Strublehosen were a big hit. Good luck battle vanilla participants. Can't wait to see your entries.

Anonymous said...

Yep - Miss Claudia's birthday is, in fact, October 7!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Just so we don't get side tracked...

I will be well provided for on my birthday and don't think I don't already have a little something up my sleeve.

All packages should go to the original, California address.

Thanks, however, to all my friends so anxious to remind me I am getting a year older.