Tuesday, September 23, 2008

R.S.V.P - A.S.A.P

H*A*P*P*Y  B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y  K*A*T*I*E 
a.k.a. CSPGrad

And in honor of Katie's birthday, we'll talk parties.

Everyone loves a good party.  Or, at least most people enjoy most parties.  Except, of course, for those pyramid party things.  Most of us go into those with a little bit of trepidation.

You know the parties I'm talking about...  scrap booking gadgets, cooking gadgets, tupperware, makeup, jewelry, purses, and now... tools for women.  Of course the hostesses famous last words are always reassurance that you, "don't need to buy a thing.  Just come and have fun."

I'm calling bluff on that, because I've never been to one of those parties where I haven't purchased something.  The first pyramid party I ever went to was the year Richard and I got married.  It was a Pampered Chef party.  My husband likes to cook and it was right before the holidays.  I went into the experience with great hope and left the experience excited about all the gadgets I bought him, that I was sure he couldn't live without.  It was Christmas and I was sure he would love them all.

As it turns out, my husband is a cooking snob.  He says he's a cooking purist, but I say... call a spade a spade.  He didn't keep a single thing that I bought him.   So my mother had an extra good Christmas that year and we still measure with the same old measuring spoons, use our same warped baking sheets, and decide when something is finished cooking the good old fashioned way... by using our nose instead of a magnetic timer for the refrigerator.

I'm no fan of pyramid parties, regardless of what you're selling.  But last spring, I tried one once again.  I had just moved to our neighborhood and I thought it would be a fun way to meet people - not to mention keep the one friend I managed to find.  So off I went to, of all things, another cooking ware party.  This time I was more discerning, but still I left having purchased more than I knew my husband would use.

The real point is that while I was there, I started thinking...  here we were this group of women loosely related through our mutual friend and neighbor.  We were coming together more for the fellowship than we were because any of us needed more cooking utensils.  But what came from it was a nice break in the week, a few new ideas for easy dinner recipes, and good conversation about topics ranging from kids, to fitness, to shopping bargains.

I want to try something similar.  No I won't be selling anything and you won't either.  The idea is this...

Once a month I will host a Highlowaha party.  The "hostess" (that's one of you) will "invite" six other people to join us for the week.  They can be friends from work, teammates from your bowling league, high school friends you're in touch with, a book club, a scrap booking group, or old college friends.  Anybody you want from anywhere you want.  

The hostess will consult with his/her friends to determine what topic you would like covered for the week.  Then it will be my job to use that topic to throw a week long party.  All you and your guests have to do?... commit to reading the blog each day for the designated week.  There will be a spotlight on you and your friends, good information, giveaways, and fun conversations.  
At the end of the week, the hostess will be presented with a Patchwork Hostess Patch and a treat from me.

What are some examples I can think of based on who I know some of our readers to be?
  • Katie, Kelly, or Brian... how about a party with you and your hall director staffs?  The topic can be anything from how to motivate staff to achieving balance.
  • Julie... how about you and some of your former classmates?  Easy decorating tips for people who move a lot.
  • Erica, how about your play group?  How about creative ideas for keeping play groups fun or practical fashion tips for stay at home moms.
  • Heather, Peggy, or Cheryl: Are you and your neighbors gearing up for the holidays?  How about creative and inexpensive gift ideas.  Making the holidays stress free or creative wrapping ideas.
  • Lori: Could you and your teacher friends benefit from new and creative ways to start spring semester?
  • Does anybody know anyone getting married or having a baby?  Maybe we could have a virtual bridal shower or baby shower.
Half the fun is thinking about who you might like to invite.  The other half is brainstorming a fun, practical, serious, or zany topic you agree would be fun for our community to cover.

So that's as far as I've taken the idea.  Let's spend the rest of today building on my idea with your suggestions of what will make our monthly Highlowaha parties more fun.  Also, let's book our first three parties.  We need adventurous can-do kinds of people to claim November, December, and January.  R.S.V.P - A.S.A.P.

Everyone loves a party.

Announcements: 
  • Bingo Winners and Gift Donors: It will take me until mid day today to make sure the hosts of your packages have your mailing addresses.  Thanks for being patient.  
  • Altoid Table: Thanks, Peggy for inquiring about the never ending saga or our Altoid Tables.  You all just think we'd forgotten about them.  What you don't know is they have been a steady and ongoing project/saga since we started them... quite a while ago (we'll just leave it at that).  We thought we were putting the second set of finishing touches on the tables two nights ago and low and behold, the gorilla glue that held so well we had to chisel the boxes off last time, didn't hold the boxes at all this time.  In fact, they just popped right off.  It seems the glue works better on wood than on tile.  After some inquiry and research, we've determined we are now in the market for Liquid Nails (and a good stiff drink).  It seems Liquid Nails is the only hope of actually securing these tins to the tiled tables.
  • Decathlon Pics and Recipes:  Hmmmm.... I would like to think I would have had these up the day after events were entered.  But alas... another one of Claudia's weaknesses becomes glaringly obvious.  The tedium of loading pics onto blogger is a task as painful to me as poking myself in the eye with a stick.  Most, if not all the pics, are on my computer and someday I imagine I will be so on top of life (no laundry waiting to be folded, no kids needing to be carted here or there, no toys to be picked up) that I will actually load them on.  Until then, I will dream about all my tasky highlowaha friends and continue to imagine how much I would love to have even an ounce of your discipline.  Hope springs eternal, though, so keep on asking! 
Signing off until tomorrow...

24 comments:

Julie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE!!!!

More to come later ... I've been lurking for the better part of two weeks now ... but I think I'm back for good now!

maureen said...

********HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE!!!!******
Claudia, tell Richard that he doesnt know what he is missing. Comparing a Pampered Chef tool to an ordinary tool is like comparing Nordstrom to K-Mart. Over the years I have bought just about everything. Now tupperware on the other hand I can honestly say I don't have a piece.....

As for your hosting a party I love the idea but am about 6 friends short. I have been selling HLA for months but everyone is just toooo busy (their words). If I come up with anyone I will let you know. Maybe bribery will work????? :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE!!!

(for the 5th or 5th time now...hehe! luv ya girl!)

oh, and im up for a virtual baby shower...maybe in december; or wait til spring 09? i know someone having a baby!!!

Anonymous said...

(that would be 5th or 6th time now) haha

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!!

I'll touch base on the party idea after I've had more time to ponder.

Anonymous said...

Missy:

Happy Birthday.

Love,
mom

Katie said...

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, everyone! I'm in for the party, now I just need to decide which group of friends I plan to have my party with!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!

Claudia, I wll try to talk some of my co-workers into checking out HLA. I am going to tell them about all of the good deeds that you do and how much fun it is. I will get back to you on that.

Peggy said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!

Maureen I hear ya!! Comparing Nordstrom to KMart .... for Pampered Chef.... only these type of parties do women have to PAY to be with their friends!! Men just go have a beer at a bar... we walk out with $100 worth of stuff to have a nice night out!

Also, agree with ya on the too busy friends.... I think my email to get Coke rewards was like writing a book to explain our falling in love with a great idea community!

I'm like an elephant, I never forget.... and I'm a curious bug, plus I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment to wonder whats going on... so I'll keep y'all honest and in check!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Katie, I left you a message here:

http://opry.blogspot.com/2008/09/you-say-its-your-birthday.html

Happy Birthday!!

I don't know why but I don't mind the pyramid party. I don't usually go overboard buying stuff but I'll get an item or two. It's the whole don't you want to sell it too that I can't do. I am not a sales person.

I love the idea that a group of my friends could drive the topic of the blog for a week. I don't know if I would be able to get 6 of them to participate though.

Other Topics:
Advice on planning a family or school reunion.
Planning a girls night out.
Holiday gift ideas for co-workers.

Anonymous said...

I'm in for a party...perhaps I'll take November as we'll be travelling in December quite a bit.
Can I do 6 friends who are spread out across the country (and Canada) and have our focus be creative ways to stay in touch/connected with friends who are long distance?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Heather.... Yes, you can use friends spread out around the country. That's part of the fun. Meeting up each day and checking in with each other.

I love your topic. Should we consider it a done deal? If so, I'll put you in my calendar for November and we can begin working on the week.

Cheryl, thanks for the additional ideas. Maybe it will prompt some more takers.

I love the idea of a Virtual Holiday Office Party.

One of my thoughts is that if you identify a topic that people REALLY care about, they will be motivated to check in. So, let's dig deep and think... what do we and our sub-communities REALLY care about? Those are the topics we should focus on. Losing weight, study skills for kids, managing the paper and clutter in your home, making a career change, reentering the work place, negotiating for a raise, improving important relationships, etc....

What else?

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Katie!

Like Julie, I'm back from the lurking - actually, I wasn't even able to lurk for all last week as the electricity was out at home and at work!

Since it was specifically asked for in the blog, I am in fact expecting a baby (due April 10th)! In as such, I'd love to see a week dedicated to managing life with a new baby or any child for that matter!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Is this as in Melanie from BU in Louisville?!?!?!? I am so excited for you! Congratulations!

April 10 a great day to have a baby. The colorstrology color is beautiful... Vermillion Orange and it says...

Childlike, Relentless, and Unusual. If you were born on this day you are a welcome addition to any group of people or social gathering. Perceptive and smart, you have an interesting blend of childlike wonder and intellectual prowess. You are a collector of inspiring ideas and are able to communicate information that can help light the way for others.

Compatible birthdays... January 27, February 26, and August 4.

My mother in law was born on this day and I would have to attest to all of it being true!

Yes, can we gather six more expectant mothers or new mothers and have a party in an upcoming month? I would love it.

Anonymous said...

Melanie...NO WAY!!!

Somehow when Cassie P posted her post I had a feeling it was you she was talking about...
I'm so excited for you!!!!

Seriously...holy mackeral!

Katie said...

Congrats, Melanie!!! How exciting!

Anonymous said...

I would jump in on teh expecting mothers blog as well as I am expecting May 6th. It will be my second child but I still feel brand new at all this.

Katie said...

I just received a birthday gift that I think many of you would love as much as I do...I'm still sitting here staring at it in awe! There's a picture of it up on my blog currently...at the bottom of today's post. Check it out! Let's just say stickers, scrapbook paper, and ribbon are involved!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday, again, ktk!

congrats, again, mel!

ckb - i'm mailing that check from bingo to you today!

i've been away since thursday, but came back to a lot of hla surprises including winning a rak prize and the garlic throw-down!

i'm glad all of you seem to be doing well! i'm excited to get back in the swing of things with you all this week.

Peggy said...

We should have a blog roll....
katie what's your blog?

you can always check mine out at
http://prdesigns.blogspot.com

Katie said...

cspgradstudent.blogspot.com

Julie said...

P*A*R*T*Y!!!

I love the idea of a monthly virtual party :) AND the potential that this idea has with it.

Heather - I have friends spread all over the country (and I still owe you an email) ... and in fact I was thinking of that idea when I first read CKB's suggestion ... before I saw her idea for me. SO, please let this topic come about for November. I think it's especially fitting with November really being the kick off of the holiday season (Thanksgiving and Christmas)... and that's the time of year that I really wish I could gather all of my friends together in one place!

Peggy ... what do you mean by a blog roll? I have one as well (although I must admit that I'm not the best at keeping it updated) ... BUT, if I knew people were reading it, I might be more inclined to update it more often!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Katie!!! I hope you're day was as special as I know you are!
Hugs, Susan

Peggy said...

By blog roll... I mean a listing of those who like to blog, and are willing to pass along their spots...

I think you guys talked about it in PA.... a member listing... so it's secure, but every one can have access to other members profile page (likes, pet peeves family dynamics, college majors, bucket lists) it would also list email addresses, snail mail, blogs etc...and you can send them RAK's or birthday wishes....