Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lost and Found

Happy Birthday 
J-9 Restaino!  Read On...

Announcements at the end, including an important announcement about our Holiday Helping Hand project.

Today represents Day #2 of our Taste of USA blog topics.  Remember, participants of Taste of USA were tasked with selecting two random items from a brown bag and then using those items to create a topic about which we could blog.  

Today's topic strikes a special cord with me, but first the items...

Treye and a Stand-in of Heidi
(she had to leave early, but her smile really is that big!)
Boxing Gloves and a Koosh Ball
(Challenge yourself... what topic might you come up with?)

Treye and Heidi wasted no time filling up their page with ideas.  In fact, this dynamic duo developed an overarching theme for their topic.... Everlasting Connections.  Let's go with it.  Initially it conjured up images for them of, "manifesting one's ideas and bringing things full circle."  When asked to "whack" their idea with von Oech's Dream Card (everyone was whacked with the same card.  See yesterday's post for full text), Treye and Heidi immediately gravitated toward people.  They posed a series of questions.  Here they are:
  • Are there people you know who have shown up in your dreams lately?
  • Have any of these people lost touch with you?
  • How do you respond to  seeing them in your dreams?
  • Might you use HLA as a way to reconnect with people in your dreams?  
  • How did you become connected with your best friend?
  • How did you hear about Highlowaha?
  • Do you have a fun story about how you became connected with a friend?
I love all of these topics and, if I signed off this minute, we could have still have a full day's activity using their thoughtful questions. 
 
But... their topic got me thinking and consequently, I have a fun story to tell.  One of my best friends growing up was a girl named Janine.  Janine and I met at Junior High 67 (all the public schools in New York are numbers).  We played volleyball on the same team (along with Maureen), for a somewhat creepy coach whose name was Mr. Schneider.  Boy, did we have fun.  We met every day after school, walked down to the local deli for an after school snack and then came back for practice.  We were a close group of friends.  When it came time to order our uniforms we each decided, rather than put our own last name on the back of our uniforms, that we would wear the names of famous tennis players.  I think I was McEnroe, Janine was Borg, and maybe Maureen was Gerulaitis.

After junior high, Janinie and I continued playing volleyball together in high school.  We met every morning for practice and then played again in the afternoons.  We traveled to games together and to volleyball summer camps together.  When not bumping and spiking volleyballs, we worked together at the Samuel Field Y summer camp and at the Haagen Dazs, in Great Neck, New York.  We spent many a night at one another's houses watching scary movies like, Dr. Butcher M.D. and eating left over pints of ice cream from our closing shifts at the ice cream store.  My favorite flavor at the time.... Vanilla Swiss Almond.  

I remember distinctly going over to Janine's on a weekend night for a sleepover.  It was right before Christmas and my parents dropped me off, after taking me to a local department store for a new winter coat.  Janine's mother greeted me at the door with a surprised look on her face, but immediately welcomed me inside, as she and Janine's dad zipped passed us on their way out.  Janine, like most of us, couldn't resist the urge to peek at her Christmas packages trying to guess what they were.  The only difference was that Janine and her two brothers had perfected the art of snooping to a science.  And, her parents were gone for the night, making the coast perfectly clear.  Janine picked up a fairly large box and shook it.  Still not able to determine what it was, she aptly began peeling back the tape until the wrapping paper fell open.  Janine opened the box and imagine our surprise when inside was the EXACT SAME WINTER COAT my parents just bought for me.  We laughed the rest of the night.  We were best friends and we were in high school.  Nothing could have been better.

I went off to Arizona for college and Janine went to a rigorous school on Long Island.  We promised always to be best friends, but as time and distance sometimes has it, we eventually lost touch.  Not a single September 10th has passed without me thinking about Janine and wondering what she is up to.  I heard through the grapevine she moved to Florida and even tried tracking her down a few times.  Columbo, I am not.

Not even a month ago, Maureen informed me that she thought she knew how to get hold of Janine and passed along Janine's information.  I immediately mailed Janine a letter and she replied promptly with an email.  Back together after literally not talking for more than TWENTY years!  For the past three weeks, Janine and I have continued exchanging emails back and forth, taking turns filling one another in on all the gaps from twenty years of being out of touch.  

It is nothing short of a gift to know that Janine, this close childhood friend, is back in my life.  And, in some small - maybe even self serving - way, I attribute some of it to Highlowaha.  

Maureen is the one and only friend I have consistently been in touch with since high school.  Yet, even we have struggled to keep our contact regular, with the competing demands of family and work obligations.  Our contact was reduced to four or five great conversations a year.  It was not until I was "Reaching for 5,000" views of highlowaha that I contacted Maureen in a desperate attempt to have her make even a single post.  Maureen is the epitome of loyal and so you know the rest of the story.  She has not only loyally checked in to highlowaha each day since her original post, but she has become one of our most active community members.

So you see, highlowaha - a blog committed to creativity and community building - has given me the gift of friendship in innumerable ways.  First it put me in closer contact with two of my oldest high school friends and second it brought me all of you. For that I am grateful.  If I shut my shop doors today, I would have gotten more than I expected from this experience.

So that's my story of reconnecting with friends, old and new.  How about you?  

I might add, we have some VERY resourceful and creative-thinking people here.  Is there someone you are trying to find?  Maybe one of our readers can point you in the right direction.  It worked for me.

Announcements:
  • Helping Hand:  Thanks to the work of Sue, Brian, and Maureen a family has been identified to serve as the recipient of our thoughtful holiday gesture.  Tera's mother knows of a family in Ohio and is willing to serve as our liaison.  Check out the Helping Hand site in the next couple of days to learn more about the family.  Next task.  Fundraising.  This brings me to my next announcement.
  • Bring Your Calendar:  In the next couple of weeks, I will be unveiling two fun fundraiser opportunities for our highlowaha readers - lurkers and posters alike (it will take a village to pull off this service project)!  Bring your calendar this Friday when I announce plans for the first!  You won't want to miss it.
  • Reading Raynbow:  Did you see?  We are going to wrap up discussion on Randy Pausch's book, The Last Lecture.  Discussion is scheduled to take place this Saturday or Sunday.  We will wait to hear from Julie or Melanie about which day.
Signing off until tomorrow...

15 comments:

Julie said...

I've been thinking about this topic since I heard it come right from Treye's and Heidi's mouths on Saturday.

As some of you know, Tera is my best and oldest constant friend. We met at a summer camp 12 years ago, and have been friends ever since. Some of our college years proved to be more difficult for us to keep in touch, so we made a decision late one December ... and made it our New Year's Resolution for the year of 2007, to talk every Sunday night! It worked (for most weeks) ... and I loved looking forward to those phone calls!

As we continue to grow up our friendship grows stronger and stronger. And, I promise you this - we are more different than we ever will be alike!!!

maureen said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JANINE!!!!!
WELCOME TO "42"!

I love this topic!!!! I have been blessed with 3 great friends that I have known all my life Layne, Dawn and Claudia. I know Layne and Dawn since 3rd grade and Claudia since 6th. I have made some new ones but the old ones are the dearest!

I was always the type that would rather a small circle of friends than a large one. I can honestly say my oldest and dearest friend Layne and I have known each other since I was the new kid in 3rd grade. We went all through school together. We both married "hard-headed old school Italian men" we both have kids the same age. We only missed one event together and that was our weddings. I did see her off to the church but no weddings. I live 5 miles from her and we talk everyday. True friends can talk every day and still have something to talk about. We have been present through every part of our lives since our weddings. My daughter recently chose who she was dedicating her "16" candles to at her "Sweet 16" and Layne is one of them. My daughters reason...... Layne gives her the warmest hugs and always makes her feel important. I guess I chose right!

Claudia, you already filled everyone in on the background of our relationship. You are the person that no matter where you went to school you always showed up on the holidays at my moms house with your "chocolate chip cookies" . You were in Arizona State when I got married and went above and beyond the call of duty as a bridesmaid. You were the ONLY one that didn't complain or make me cry. You didn't care how much the dress cost, you didn't care that you had to fly to NY, You were at the rehearsal and even had your gown fitted via mail. You made me feel like you were so honored to be in my wedding. Yes I was "Gerulaitis" I still have the shirt in my closet. My kids laugh at it! Mr. Schneider was more than creepy. I loved volleyball. I still remember you, Janine and me playing volleyball in my driveway... We have some great memories. Most of all I thank you for being there to listen to me when my heart was broken. At that moment you were the only friend I had! Now that I took up all the available space on the internet I will finish by saying
Have a great day everyone:)

Cheryl Houston said...

Making friends was not an easy task for me growing up. I was completely shy. My picture was in the dictionary right next to the word shy. I know that's hard to believe since I'm such a blabber mouth on here! Luckily since I grew up with the same group of people from kindergarten on, you can get over that a little.

My shyness drifted over into college and I made one good friend there. Hi Darci. She thought I was a complete dork when we first met which isn't actually far off the mark. A dork, yes. But not a complete dork.

It takes a while for people to warm up to me or vice versa, I don't know. I made some wonderful friends while in Utah and I felt really special there. The goodbye party was spectacular.

Moving back to Dallas, its so great being close to my best friend from the 3rd grade. We still don't see each other enough, Kristi!

And then there was this girl I met at bunco. She said she wrote a blog. Hey, I read blogs. And a friendship was born! :)

I feel very fortunate to be a member of this community and meeting all of Claudia's friends. Thanks for introducing us all to each other.

Anonymous said...

I love this topic. Julie is right...we have been friends for 12 years. This past weekend in Philly we realized we are probably the two most opposite people, but still we are BFF!

Julie...I'm going to put this out here on HLA for the world to see. Let's start our Sunday phone conversations again...I feel like I don't have a clue what's going on with you. But not this Sunday as it's Browns v. Steelers day (oh, I bought tickets to go!!!)

Also...I have reconnected with two people I used to work at a summer camp with. They were older counselers my first year working there (also two of my FAVS when I was a camper). One of them found me on Facebook and then said she was living in Cleveland and that another girl we workeds with was also in town. So I decided that we should all meet up...so dinner on Thursday it is. It's probably been 8 years or so since I've seen them so I can't wait to catch up!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I like that we are taking time to honor our friendships. Especially on this warm but dreary day in Dallas.

Tera, the real question is... will you invite your camp friends to join this new circle of friends. As former campers, it'll be right up their alley.

Katie said...

Lately I have been having a lot of dreams about my childhood. I guess it's because I often wonder what I was really like as a kid (other than that annoying little sister I'm sure I was to my brothers). There are only so many things I remember about being a kid, but one memory I have is of my friend, Amanda. Amanda lived in a house right up the street from me. We both had older brothers that were the same age, so our moms always had the 4 of us playing together. Amanda and I did everything together, we played house, we swam in her pool, we gossiped about boys when we got a little older, and we did anything and everything to pester our older brothers.

As time went on, Amanda and I went to different schools and our friendship started to grow apart, but there is one thing I love about friendships like this one- no matter the time that goes by, you always have the memories. When we were in middle school, Amanda's family moved over a few neighborhoods and we never heard much from them again. However, there is not a summer that goes by (the only time I'm really at home anymore) that I don't see Amanda out and about at some store at home. We always take the time to catch each other up on lives and laugh about the days of making my little brother play house with us or riding our bikes down the bike trails for hours. The beautiful thing about technology today is that we now have things such as Facebook where we can keep tabs on each other even through a distance. There are days when I will get random messages from Amanda asking how I'm doing and updating me on her life, and I do the same.

Maybe, just maybe, I'll have to send her a message today, telling her all about HLA.

Anonymous said...

Claudia...is that even a question!?

Anonymous said...

that last comment was from me, Tera!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

QUICK! I'm looking for the names and addresses of two more people to whom I can mail our beautiful

NATIONAL CREAM FILLED DONUT DAY cards.

I want to get them in the mail before day's end.

To be sure... the names of people in the south would be best. We know those Southerners have Krispy Kreme.

Hurry. Let's try to get two names within the next hour. You can email me the address at: cbeeny@lslog.com

Thanks.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Sue... No Krispy Kreme in New Jersey. Do you have another name? Maybe Kentucky or Pennsylvania?

Anonymous said...

Since this was the topic I worked on, I feel especially compelled to add a comment.

When thinking about the idea of "best friends", the first thing that comes to mind is my wedding day. I feel blessed that my 4 groomsmen were all people who could be called "my best friend" during some point of my life.

*Shawn - I've known since 1st grade, though I didn't like him until 2nd; we were born 18 hours apart, lived one street apart, and grew up as brothers.
*Mahlon - I met him in college, and he helped me get through one of the toughest summers of my life; many of my greatests adventures were with Mahlon
*Zep - my little brother in my fraternity; I met him by chance, as I was holding out for another little brother; As it turns out, he would become one of the most loyal friends I've ever met.
*Ray - I met him in high school, and we were casual friends our first few two of college; during the last two, we were almost inseperable; sometimes its scary how much we think alike.

Anonymous said...

In an effort to not write a novel, I'm breaking my comments into two parts. The second part addresses the "dream" question raised by von Oech.

I feel that people from my past make regular appearances in my dreams - though not always the same people. Sadly, I usually do nothing other than say "that's strange that I dreamed about ___"

Maybe I should do more. Maybe I should try to contact them. Maybe there's a reason why they just happened to pop up in my dreams. Next time it happens, I may try to contact them and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Just fyi, I won't be around much this week. The international Lamaze conference is in town this weekend, so there's lots of prep work and then all the conference fun to be had. I'll try to check in every so often, but probably won't post much. Hope it's a fun week. Can't wait to see what my secret ingredient is for next week's big game!!

Brian K. Root said...

I connected with a long-lost childhood friend on Myspace believe it or not. We were best of friends in elementary school. We parted ways/different school districts around 6th grade, then I never saw her again in a loooooong time.

Come to find her on myspace. She's living in Florida. We still haven't connected in awhile, but at least I feel like I can get ahold of her if i need to and want to now.

Cheryl Houston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.