Monday, November 10, 2008

World Kindness Kickoff

Today marks the beginning of World Kindness Week.

My plan is to spend the week exploring some of the countries where we have a Highlowaha followership.  Sixty three countries have tuned into Highlowaha over the past ten months and this week we will get to know five of them a little better. That's where your numbers from Friday come in.

Those of you who tuned in on Friday know I asked readers to give me a number 2-63 (1 is the U.S. - the country from where most our readers hail).  Each of the numbers corresponds to one of the 63 countries who have tuned in.  The winning numbers were...

21: Austria
23: Turkey
13: Italy
59: Paraguay
15: South Africa

Some of the other places we could have gone, but aren't (because their numbers were not drawn in the lottery?).  Read it and weep... Spain (#8), Switzerland (#37), Netherlands (#18), Canada (#3), and Romania (#54).  All in all, I think our faired well.  Our tour will be fun!

We leave tomorrow... once I get unpacked and recover from my own little tour to New York City.

In the meantime, a few things.  It just so happened, while driving through Manhattan yesterday, that I saw the following sign in a store window.  I thought it would be the PERFECT kick-off to World Kindness Week.
"How do you show your gratitude?"

So how about we start the week off by thinking about - and answering (if you'd be so kind) - the answer to this thoughtful question?

Then show up here on Tuesday, bags packed and ready to take a world tour of some of Highlowaha's hottest spots.  It'll be fun.

Until then...  signing off.

Oh, and the winner of the I Love New York shirt is...  Tera Johnson!


16 comments:

Anonymous said...

just say thank you and give a hug, or send a thank you card. thank you cards make all the difference!

maureen said...

Tera... Ok now you have the shirt, why not take a train to Penn Station in NYC and meet me for the day and let me give you a tour of NYC (from a real New Yorker). Christmas time is so beautiful in NY. I will leave the invitation open for any time.... I'd love to show you NY.

As for our tour... I picked #8 and I have always dreamed of going to Spain and Portugal. I guess I will have to wait a little longer.

Peggy said...

I've learned how to say thank you and actually mean it when I say it. It's not some automatic word that comes out of my mouth.

I too, often send a card....of course a prdesign's original... creative greetings!!

Katie said...

I also like to send a card or write a letter. I've also been known to give a CD mix of meaningful songs or a bag of peppermint patties, too.

Laura K said...

I like Hallmark cards (they really do say it best!), but with a nice, personal note inside that expresses how truly grateful I am for that person or something they have done...my newest foray has been into homemade cards, though, with pictures on the front using photographs I've taken and leaving them blank inside - that way I give them a little gift that can keep on giving as they can give nice notes to people they are grateful for!

Anonymous said...

Oh! That made my Monday :)

Maureen, if I ever make it to NY, I'll be SURE to let you know!

Laura, hi! I don't see you on here too much so welcome.

I love to send cards, too. I ordered some from our very own, Peggy! They are beautiful. You all should get some from her before the holidays...you won't regret it!

Cheryl Houston said...

Well, I guess it depends as to what I'm expressing gratitude. I usually just send a note card saying thank you. At times, this seems to be not near enough. But, on the other hand, when I have done something for someone else it is more than enough and not needed at all. Isn't it funny that I feel like I have not done enough saying thank you but do not require the person on the other end of my kindness to thank me at all. :)

Does anyone else feel like this?

Anonymous said...

Heather, are we still collecting Coke Rewards for your friend? If so, can you please provide an update and a list of the email addresses of where the rewards should be sent.

Anonymous said...

Yes...we are still collecting coke rewards.
I am busy, busy, busy at work today so don't have time to pull together the full update but promise to get to it tomorrow.

For now you can send your rewards info to me at heatherlsnow@gmail.com and just indicate what state you live in so I can get it awarded to the right region.

Julie said...

Tera - Perhaps we could one day take a trip to NYC together, since I've never been there either, and desperately want to go!

Maureen - If and when I ever get myself there, trust that I will get a hold of you!

Lori - My estimated date for arrival in your beautiful state and region is Nov 29th. My first day of work is scheduled for Dec 1. I hope we can get together sooner than later, as I know I'll need to see a smiling face outside of work!

Cheryl - I, like you, feel that my sending of thank you cards is never enough, however receiving them always takes me by surprise, and I do not think that others should send them my way.

I like sending cards, giving hugs, and finding ways to bring up good deeds done by others in future conversations, to show that I still remember!

azlori said...

Julie,
Where are you working? Have you figured out what area you need to stay? Look forward to meeting you! Just give me a buzz!

Julie said...

Lori ... I'll be in the Dysart School District, which to my understanding is around the Surprise / Wedell area. Can you send me an email with your phone number, please? I don't have it: jschnepp@daemen.edu ... Thanks!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I just cruised in from New York and I have to say... I LOVE all the connections that are being made between readers. All I have to say is... if Julie and Tera make it to New York to hang out with Maureen, I'm going to be jealous.

Tera and Julie... you are young and have no kids! You should make a pact to do it before '09!

Maureen is right. Christmas time in New York is worth every penny you'll spend on the train or bus fare.

Do it!

Julie said...

If my days in the EST weren't numbered at 15 (with almost 2 weeks left of work) I'd take you up on a "before '09" thought ... but it might have to be "before 12-31-09" ... Tera, I'm game, if you're game!

P.S. - Hi Katie K!!!!

Brian K. Root said...

I like to do little things to show kindness to others. A few days ago, I went to JCPenneys with the intent to use my awesome 20 percent off coupon. Well, I didn't see anything I really wanted, so on the way out, I found a couple with an armful of clothing, and gave the 20 percent off coupon to them.

Katie said...

Hello, Julie!!

PS- I'm in for a trip to NYC! That's only 5 1/2 hours from here!