Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Whack on the Side of the Head: A Lesson from Lincoln

Is there room for two more people at our party?

It's Wednesday - the day we invite Roger von Oech to join our blog community, so that he can whack our thinking.  It just so happens, Lincoln wants in on the fun, too, this week.  Newcomers... here's some quick background.  

The best way to keep this space a haven of creative ideas is to assure that the minds of our creative readers stays limber.  Think of Roger von Oech as our coach.  Roger presents (via a randomly selected card from his Creative Whack Pack - available in bookstores) a principle of creativity.  Then we, the highlowaha readers, apply the principle to our dilemma of the day.  In the end, our thinking has been stretched and we've generated new ideas or insights.

Laura, Mandy, Jenny, Jessie, Amber, Marie, Mary Beth, Molly(!) and all you returners.... Are you ready?

The context for today's whack is friendships.  What are easy, creative, and inexpensive ways to stay connected with our friends who are at a distance?

Now for von Oech's whack.  

Look to the Past.  History is loaded with creative analogies.  Napoleon marching on Moscow is really just project management.  Mao waging a guerrilla war is like launching an ad campaign.  Pick a culture from the past.  How would someone from that culture deal with your issue?  How about from your own personal history?  What were you doing ten years ago that might be useful now?  What ideas from history can you apply to a current project?

I've pulled this card before, but as a former history major, it suits me just fine to have pulled it a second time.  A quick glance at HistoryNet.com reveals a long list of things that happened on this day in History.  1620, The Pilgrims reach Cape Cod;  1863, Lincoln delivers the "Gettysburg Address" at the dedication of the National Cemetery at the site of the Battle of Gettysburg; 1897, The Great "City Fire" in London; 1969, Apollo 12 touches down on the moon; 1973, New York stock market takes the sharpest dip in 19 years; and about 15 other events I won't list. 

Me?  I'm putting my money on Lincoln and the Gettysburg address.  I haven't gotten that far in the 762 page book Maureen bought me for my birthday, in leu of my one of my Bucket List items (see post marked, ), but I think I remember enough  of the basics to eek my way through.

Here's what I know.  Lincoln was asked only 9 days prior if he would make a few remarks at the dedication of the National Cemetery.  Edward Everett, considered a great orator of the time, was actually appointed to be the equivalent of "keynote"speaker.  Everett's speech was 2 hours long (and something like 13,00o words), whereas Lincoln's remarks was 10 lines and 272 words long (that I remember, because his brevity always impressed me).  His speech lasted just over two minutes.  Lincoln's Gettysburg address continues to be acclaimed as one of the greatest speeches in American history, whereas Everett's was forgotten almost immediately.

My insight isn't going to earn me Mensa points.  It's actually pretty simple.  Writing  a thoughtful note to a good friend does not have to be 13,000 words long or take over 2 hours to write or read.  In fact, it can be 10 lines, or fewer, and have far more impact!

So stop putting it off.  Some say, Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address on the back of an envelope while on the train to Pennsylvania.  A letter from a friend on the back of an envelope, while killing time, is a.o.k with me!

One more unrelated thought and then I turn it over to all of you.

Newcomers, it is time we talked about my Random Acts of Kindness Box (affectionately known on the blog as the RAK box).  The idea is simple.  Send me a postcard with your name and address on it and I will put your name in my RAK box.  Then, when I'm feeling either blue or feeling generous, I randomly pull a name from the box and send a card, small package, or baked treat to the lucky winner.  I tell you this for two reasons.
  • First, wouldn't it be fun to have your very own Friendship RAK box?  Include the names of your closest friends, relatives, and even former colleagues.  No pressure.  No expectations.  When you get a minute or need a break, randomly pull someone's name from the box and - in the spirit of Lincoln - send short note.
  • Second, we want you in our RAK box.  Jot your name and address on a postcard and send it to me at Claudia K. Beeny, 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, TX., 76051.  
Now it's your turn.  What insight might you glean from another historical event, a different culture, or your own personal history that we can apply to today's topic - easy, creative, and inexpensive ways to stay connected to friends who are at a distance?  Contribute and help keep this a blog... "of the people, by the people, for the people."

Announcements:
  • And the winner of yesterday's highlowaha t-shirt is... Montana Kelly!  Can you believe it?  Montana Kelly revisited us for the first time today, after having been MIA for the past couple of weeks and she won!  It was meant to be!!!

Biding Farewell to von Oech and Lincoln and signing off until tomorrow...

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like what Lincoln can teach us about brevity...

I'm actually going to look to Laura and Mary Beth's past. Look at how much fun they had by simply sending things in the mail (SNAIL MAIL). If a few fourth graders can do it I'm sure I can and wouldn't it be fun for one of my friends hundreds of miles away to get a recording of Lily talking or a copy of Buttercup (Jessie) just to say that I'm thinking of them. Neither would take very long but it would definitely get the point across.

I'm anxious to see how others whack this idea as this is what this week is all about for me.

Oh and Molly...I hope you check in again today...it was a nice surprise seeing your name pop up on yesterday's post.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of a RAK box! I am a sucker for a good card, you turn me loose in hallmark and I can easily drop $50 on cards for all types of occassions! I learned this trick by a good friend of mine named Carol, I usually refer to her as my life coach or mentor since she has taught me so much. She has a drawer filled will all types of cards and all sorts of occassions. She said you never know when you will need one. I am opposite of that, I browse cards and when I read them I know exactly who that card is for! I usually buy tons, but then after the first few days of sending them to everyone, I stash them away and stumble upon them at a much later date...oops. So I think having a RAK box in plain sight in my office will prompt me to remember to send a note to those I care about. Even if it is a cute thank you note to send to my friends to let them know I am thankful and lucky to have them in my life!
Plus everyone loves to get to their mailbox in hopes to find something that is not a bill or junk, I know if I have a "real" letter it is the highlight of my day!!!
On another note, how the heck are you two up so early! How do you function? :)

Peggy said...

I'm not very good at whacking... thinking outside the bun!

But, I guess I'm very fortunate that because I make greeting cards, I constantly have cards literally at my finger tips! I may not make the card with someone in mind, but I do take the time to look through the cards to find the perfect one, or set of cards for whomever I am sending them too!It has to fit the right mood!

A friend told me that 'Nate' on Oprah said... when writing a note, excuse my paraphrasing.... write a simple one page note, that fills just one side in your best handwritting... some notes have enough meaning and thought that they then can be framed, and used as a decorative piece... a rememberance of the great moment you shared. (If you wrote on the back, you really couldn't frame it)
If someone has time... maybe see if there is something that can be googled about Nate's notes....
whack!!

Laura K said...

Okay, I have never been good with history (I have a hard enough time remembering yesterday!), but I'm going to go back to my personal history...about 12-13 years ago, actually. I was in high school then, attending an all-girls school (where coincidentally I now work), and there were about 15-20 of us that ran around together all the time. Now, the "men" in our crowd were all at one of the all-boys school, and being that both of these were Catholic high schools, the rules were pretty strict about socializing during class - that was a no-no...so, someone along the way created the 'Note Notebook,' which was just a run-of-the-mill notebook filled with ramblings about the class you were currently in, plans for the weekend, maybe some quotes or poems, every now and again there were some strong words about others within the group or group "outsiders," but also lots of "I love you guys so much, you're my best friends, life would be so dull without you!" type writings. This notebook was passed from girl to girl in between classes or at lunch, then I would randomly ask my little brother to take it to school with him and hand off to our guy friends at St. X...and Christopher would sometimes have his sister bring it in to us girls. It was silly and fun (and sometimes started trouble), and that was when we already saw each other ALL the time! So, about a year ago or so, I tried starting this tradition back up, only this time, I included mailing addresses because we have gotten so spread out around the country (Boston, Orlando, Chicago, Cincinnati...). Unfortunately, I haven't gotten it back since, so I'm not sure if it died with someone who was too busy to pass it along or if it was lost in the mail...but I still think this is a fun idea that could be one little way to stay connected in a more tangible, personal way than email and the internet...and it holds good memories for the old gang here! I, too, love getting surprises in the mail when it seems there is nothing but bills and junk! Keep the ideas flowing, ladies & gents!

Katie said...

History has taught me one important lesson- when there was no cell phone, no email, no telephone and maybe even no snail mail...what did people do to stay in touch? They visited each other.

I think having people move around a lot in the past 2 years has taught me a lot about the value of going to visit friends. Sure, talking on the phone is nice and a letter in the mail is nice, too, but think about the value of showing up on that person's door step. I know I'm young and I can still do this when I want without towing my children along, but I just think it's a nice sentiment for the friendship to make the commitment to actually visiting. Whether that be a Spring Break spent in Texas while other friends are on a cruise, or a whirlwind weekend spent driving to Kentucky and back to support a friend, I just think it's important.

Maybe 10 years from now when I'm married and with my first child I'll realize it's not that easy anymore, but I think that's part of the whack- thinking outside of what seems easy, and getting to what will make the greatest impact.

Anonymous said...

Good Day everyone- Good to know I can check back in and be a winner! That was great news to hear after the way my last week has been going. Thank you

As far as history- I too had a notebook I shared with friends during our junnior high days and mabye into highschool- we would pass it along throughout the day and share gossip, or stories or just girl stuff. I think I still have it and laugh everytime I glance at it- I'm still friends with those girls, however we have all moved away and have families now, but we tend to use email and Christmas letters for staying in touch.

Anonymous said...

The books Laura K. speaks of, are called circle journals in scrapbooking/card making. If you did a google search... I'm sure you'd see cute examples of many different styles.
Peggy

Anonymous said...

The Note Notebook! That was so fun!

Unfortunately I am without creative genes so I can't think of any cool out of the norm ideas.. however I will second that I LOVE getting stuff in the mail! The thrill never goes away!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Mandy! I know you won't be surprised when I say... Ah, but we ALL have the capacity to be creative. All the more reason why von Oech is important to you.

Work with me here and let's see if we can make something happen.

Let's take for example another world event that happened on this day in history. How about the Apollo 12 landing on the moon.

What does that make you think of?

Hurry, reply back.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Mandy... don't over-think it. First thing. Stream of consciousness. When I think of landing on the moon, the first thing that comes to mind is...

Anonymous said...

A man in a space suit with the flag in his hand. (what's his name, Neil Armstrong?)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Great. Now let's pick one of those images. How about the flag?

Use whatever words first come to mind to describe the flag.

Anonymous said...

stars and stripes....

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

O.k. Stars and stripes. Perfect. We might also note that the flag carries symbolism, that it was sewn by Betsy Ross, and that people wear and display this symbol to communicate their patriotism.

Bearing all of that in mind... stars, stripes, symbol, sewn, display of patriotism...

Can you apply any of those points to an idea you might have for staying connected with friends?

Take a second and above all realize there are NO bad answers. Whatever you reply will spark an additional thought in my head and we will feed off of one another.

Anonymous said...

HELPING HANDS UPDATE!

Thank you, Patrick, for the generous donation! Know that this will be put to good use as we help one family in PA have an AMAZING Christmas.

Who else out there is going to follow Patrick's lead!?

If you're interested in donating gifts (the list is on the Helping Hands Page which you can click on from the HLA main page), money, gift cards or anything else please let me know!!!!

tmichalski05@jcu.edu

Tera Johnson
2590 North Moreland
Apt. E22
Shaker Heights, OH 44120

HAPPY HUMP DAY, ALL!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Mandy if you're out there and you haven't replied because you are still thinking, then you are over-thinking it.

This is a primary thing that gets in the way of people's creativity.

Resort to the same gut instincts you used when replying to my question about the images you associated with a man landing on the moon.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

If others are out there, let's cheer her on. GO Mandy!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, took a minute - I got distracted!

OK, first thought is the sewing thing. My cousin and I when we were kids were into sewing. We cross stitched all the time. And then we made clothes for our Barbies, and when we got older we made our own clothes. Later we were making our kids blankets and quilts. We don't do it anymore, but it used to be a regular thing to go fabric shopping or to just sit around and talk and sew. Not helpful for long distance friendships - but really if you share any hobbies in common with your friends you can use it to keep in touch - get on the phone once a week to talk about the status or progress that has been made, or share ideas.

Ok, will that do? ;)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Great! Yes. In fact, one of the other highlowaha readers and I have forged a little friendship over our mutual desire to learn to sew. Serving as "accountability partners" in achieving a lifelong goal, is a great way to stay connected with friends.

Here's what your ideas brought to my mind. What about a shared symbol that you and your friend(s) shared. If it was Heather and Jessie, it might be a sun (because of their shared love of the song, You are My Sunshine). Maybe Heather finds two items that have a sun on them (socks, a plate, a pin, a charm, etc...). Then, they can either agree on one day per month that they will both wear/use it, as a simple way to stay connected.

Or, if you sew (I am jealous), how about a friendship Quilt!!!!! Can I be in your circle of friends? I'm so jealous.

How about the rest of you? What other ideas can we generate based on Mandy's original Apollo 12...American Flag... sewing... prompt.

Thanks for playing, Mandy. And yes... your C*R*E*A*T*I*V*I*T*Y provided readers with a whole new idea for connecting with an old friend!

WELL DONE!

Cheryl Houston said...

Sliding in very late today. I've read the post and read everyone's comments. Let me think on my whack.

Anonymous said...

MAndy taught me to cross stitch when we were in girl scouts together in grade school. I then taught my mom, so sometimes passing on a hobby can be a great way to connect with someone who has similar interests.

Mandy and Laura and I have often exchanged favorite books we've read. This also gives you good opportunities to discuss a book once everyone has read it. ~Jenny

Mary Beth said...

OK, I hope I can get this right. I've been conflicted about how to encourage old-fashioned, snail-mail communication with my 18 nieces and nephews. I tried cool paper, pens and envelopes as Christmas presents, plus those awesome PhotoStamps (ouch - expensive!), then I did just the stationery, and now I've had an "aha" moment: they're not going to write me a letter for the same reasons I still haven't written letters to my pen pal.

So I've reached into the dusty memories of being in the advertising/marketing world, and I've resorted to surveys!

Yes, I've found that asking a silly, simple question will elicit a great response: "What's your favorite song right now?" I also give them "bonus" points for a drawing or a poem that they write on the back of the paper. I tailored one survey to fit my husband's 30th birthday - what a great present for him, to read responses to "What is Uncle Eric's favorite food?" or "What is the silliest thing Uncle Eric has done?" etc.

A SASE helps elicit a response, too. :)

Sorry so late!