Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Turkey Talk

Announcements at the end...

Today's post is more about the aspiration of a creative idea than it is about the completion of a creative idea.  Thanksgiving is two work days away and my list of things to do is growing.  Iron napkins, steam table cloth, polish silver, straighten house, shop for final grocery items, oh... and crafts.  Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same if we didn't create some kind of festive craft for the dinner table.  The question is what?

Last year we wove fun Thanksgiving place mats.  Over, under, over, under, over, using fall colored construction paper and then laminated.  I'd love to show the place mats to you, but I lost them.  It's o.k. though. Remember, we try never to use the same idea twice.

We also used paint, feathers, foam, construction paper, and hot glue to turn a clay pot into a turkey.  It was a decorative way to display each person's account of those things for which they were giving thanks.  I'd love to show you that too, but it must be safely tucked away with the place mats.  

What about this year?  Not sure yet, but take a look at the three finalists...
Turkey votive candle holders

Corn on the Cob Crackers

Cardboard Turkey Basket

So, what do you think?  Which one do you think will make it to my dining room table on Thanksgiving morning?  Find out on Thursday when I post a picture of our table!

Now, how about you?  What preparations are you still making?  Finding recipes?  Picking out a new outfit?  Cleaning your house?  Tell us.  You'll feel better.

Now for some quick announcements...
  • Christmas Conversation Cards: Sales were good yesterday.  We sold eight of the twelve boxes of Christmas Conversation Cards.  They make a great gift for a friend, neighbor, teacher, or holiday hostess.  Your family will also want a deck to help them get in the holiday spirit.  Order today and the beautiful box can be sitting on your dinner table by December 1.   $15.00, includes shipping.
  • Helping Hands:  Today I mail a check to Tera for exactly $380.00.  Thank you to everyone who was able to get their check to me on time.  If you are still hoping to pay your Blog-a-thon sponsorship, please mail it directly to Tera Johnson (unless you and I have already made an arrangement).  Her mailing address is: 2590 N. Moreland, Apt. E22, Shaker Heights, OH., 44120.
  • Paint the Town Red:  Yesterday I mailed Highlowaha's designated Regional Coke Directors hang tags, so that they may start a Coke Kindness Chain in their region.  Our goal is to keep each Kindness Chain going until Valentine's Day!  Wanna start one in your community?  Send me an email at cbeeny@lslog.com and I'll let you know how.  It's easy and the impact will be big!  P.S.  The holidays are coming, so make sure you have lots of Coke products available for your guests (then send Heather your Reward Codes).  Don't know what I'm talking about?  Check out the post from Saturday (11/22).  
  • Highlowaha Friendship Party:  None of last week's participants was prepared to take on role of Party Host.  The invitation is wide open.  Volunteer to "host" (gather six readers and pick a topic) a party in February and earn the letter writing caddy I was prepared to give away on Saturday. 
  • Festival of Lights Virtual Party:  Mark your calendars for Sunday, December 14.  Beginning at 8:00, I'll post a short slide show of all our readers' Christmas trees (and other holiday decorations).  Then we'll have a lively ornament exchange.  To participate, send Katie a picture of your decorated Christmas tree, menorah, or other holiday decoration.  Participating in the ornament exchange?  Send her a picture of your ornament unwrapped AND wrapped!  Deadline for submissions, December 12 at 5:00 p.m. 
Signing off until tomorrow... when there will only be one more work day until Thanksgiving Day!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldnt mind hosting a party in febuary...im not sure the topic though. i know someone getting married soon, i know a few people having babies...neither thing am i doing myself. my mom turns 40 in april (as you all know since you helped me with party theme ideas on a free for all friday). and i graduate in may.

now i need a party theme/topic for this party!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cassie... aren't you already signed up to do a baby shower party in January? Are you so diligent that you want to take on two?

P.S. You, your brothers, and your mom would get great use out of a box of the Highlowaha Christmas Conversation Cards!

Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

OH! well, shoot! When did that happen?! Never mind then, I am hosting a baby shower party in Jan. Its already decided! sweet.

And idk bout the cards yet...I will think over it, and if there is still one left at the end of the day, then maybe we are meant to have one.

You have a great day as well!

Peggy said...

It's a blustery 18 degrees here in Northern Illinois, at least it's sunny with blue skies. :( The poor Packers had a tough game on Monday Night football!!

T-day preperations... all the food is purchased and my plan of action is ready for Thursday morning! Something new we are having this year is Cranberry Salsa! Can't wait to make it!

Strange for me this year... I work tomorrow... Wednesday...I don't think I worked on the Wednesday before ever! since having kids... well, I guess they are old enough then to help out, MORE!

Happy Day!

maureen said...

I love the turkey votives.... Maybe I will have my two crafty daughters make them for my table. If I do I will mail the pictures.

I have been hosting Thanksgiving each and every year since I first got married in 1989. I love how cozy my house feels when I get up and start cooking. My kids look forward to it each year.

I am the only girl in my family so I try to cook most of the holidays. I dont even let my mom lift a finger. I have chosen over the years to do away with all the dishes. I purchase gorgeous disposable dishes (that cost me a small fortune). I figure my time with my kids and family is worth the sacrifice.

I wanted to tell everyone that HP has a site where you can download craft ideas. They have things like place cards, decorations etc. I love the tree centerpiece they have made out of twigs. All you need are a bunch of twigs, heavy printer paper, a color printer, and raffia. Go to their site. If anyone has a problem let me know and I will email them the link. Its a "thankfulness tree". Its so HLA!!

Laura K said...

Okay, first let me just say I'm bummed because I never got my postcard that was promised! :( That's okay, though, I'm still hoping to do some of my own for Christmas cards this year (provided we can get a picture together in time!)...also, as an aside: today is my hubby's birthday - he is 29, and I made him a hot breakfast in bed (in lieu of his normal Branflakes in a bowl breakfast!) I think he liked waking up to that!

On to the topic at hand...first, I love the cardboard turkey basket, though I'm quite sure I could not pull off any of those crafty projects! Can't wait to see how yours turn out! As for me, I'm lucky that my mom and grandma do all the cooking, and we just get to show up! *sheepish grin* But I am very busy at work right now, and I still don't have a birthday gift for my hubby, PLUS our one-year anniversary is Monday! We're hoping to take a cruise together sometime this winter, so that will be our gift to each other...still, isn't the first anniversary paper or something? Maybe I need to do something small for him now...it is all about my hubby this week for me! Of course, I am VERY thankkful for him, so I guess that's fitting! This will also be my first Thanksgiving at home in 4 years (we've been with his family the few years past), so I am very excited to be with them and also my friends' celebration on Friday night. Plus, our family has a karaoke tradition the night after everyone has their dinners - THAT should be a sight (and sound) to behold! I am working on my vocals right now...Happy Thanksgiving to all!!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Turkey Day Preparations for me include getting our bags packed, loading up the car and driving 6-7 hours. No crafty decorations and I'm not cooking anything. Thanks Mom!

Now, my dad has kookie computer rules at his house so I may or may not have internet access... so, if I'm not able to come back today ~ HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone. May yours be safe and happy. :)

Anonymous said...

What am I doing for Thanksgiving?

Well, my displaced family is lucky enough to have a friends willing to host us. So...we are going to their house on Thanksgiving. I hear they go all out doing things like ironing napkins, steaming the table cloth, polishing silver, and even making crafts to put on the table.

We are so THANKFUL that we have such caring friends.

Oh and Peggy...I'm also THANKFUL that it is supposed to be 72 degrees here today in the DFW vs. the 18 degrees you are facing up there.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Laura!

I mailed your postcard, I promise! I can't believe it didn't make it to you.

That doesn't bode well for the United States Post Office, which is NOT a good thing since I just mailed 8 sets of Christmas Conversation Cards!

My fingers are crossed they all get there!

Anonymous said...

No turkey day prep for me other than pack up all the dirty laundry to take to my parent's house so I don't have to pay to do it here at our apartment :)

We're leaving tonight around 5 for Erie. I'm SUPER excited to go out with my old work friends tonight...and yes, to the Plymouth for all of you who are familiar with Erie :) We'll be there until Thursday night then back to Cleveland it is. I'm working 8-4 on Black Friday...woohoo! Then turkey day #2 on Friday afternoon at Treye's parent's house.

I LOVE the turkey votives...and the basket! Someday when I host turkey day I'm going to decorate with fun things like those!

Happy Turkey Day to all...not sure if I'll be back before Friday :)

Amber said...

I vote for the corn cob crackers....they are too cute!!

I hosted T-giving here last year and did all of the cooking. This year we are driving over to the Hubs Grandma's. I am taking all of the pies (except pumpkin - they already have it there). So, I'll be taking pecan, cherry, sugar cream, and fudge pies. Yum!!

Anonymous said...

YES, tera- the plymouth!!! i have fond memories of that place!!! :-D

Katie said...

Hello all! As far as Thanksgiving goes, I love the cardboard turkey! Also, I am currently working on cleaning my mom's house and then going grocery shopping with her for Thanksgiving dinner! I just wanted to check in since it had been a while since I'd been on, but back to cleaning before she sees me taking a break!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! In a couple of days, anyway. We're not celebrating 'til Saturday because we have a couple of out-of-town family members who can't drive up until Friday. So I have a little extra time to prep, but I'm still quite busy. Planning the menu (gotta' try to get to the grocery tonight, actually), cleaning the house, making the guest room habitable, all the usual stuff.

We're also trying to do some makeshift baby-proofing, since my little guy is all over the place, and he's supposedly getting lots of baby-proofing supplies for Christmas from his grandmother, so we have to wrangle him the old-fashioned way 'til then. Plus, I'm doing a lot of work, which does not feel very festive, though it IS very necessary. Working on getting an Etsy shop up and running... it will take some time to get my inventory ready, but I'll keep you posted.

And not that we're voting, but I really dig the turkey votive holders and the bread basket!