Monday, November 10, 2008

Grazie, Italia!


Ciao da Italia!  Oggi si celebra due giorni della settimana Mondiale della Gratitudine.  Grazie per I'talia per...

For the non-bilingual or those who don't have time to visit Google's translator, let me make it easy for you...

Hello from Italy!  Today we celebrate day two of World Gratitude Week.  
Thanks to Italy for...

The thermometer
The famous children's story, Pinocchio
Pizza
The piano
Cologne
The ice cream cone!!!!!
Eyeglasses
The espresso machine
The telephone
The typewriter
A national diet whose diet is comprised of pasta, bread, and wine

How about you?  Have any of you been to Italy and for which Italian inventions/contributions are you most grateful?  Do tell.

Richard and I spent our honeymoon in Italy, so maybe I can start.  To Italy I am grateful for the best margarita pizzas; the Vatican; beautiful handmade paper; museums, museums, and more museums; hot chocolate; great shopping, Murano glass, and the lush rolling hills of Tuscany.

The two things we could have done without.  First, Aqua Alta - the high tides that leave Venice flooded (yes, we happened to have been there for one of only a handful that occur each year).  And, second.  The narrow, cobblestone streets that rendered our feet useless at the end of each day!

A final proposal for the week.  What a shame it would be for us to spend the week showing gratitude for the contributions of these five countries and not have a single native know.  Consider adding to the fun of the week by finding someone from the day's featured country to make a post.  Pull it off and there will be something in it for you! 

As for Italy...  We've had five visitors over the past ten months.  They have hailed from Torino, Palermo, Augusta, and Rome

Firma fuori fino a domani...

14 comments:

Julie said...

:) :) :) :)

I love the IDEA of Italy, and hope to visit there some day!

I love pizza!!

Tera, if you didn't read the last few posts yesterday, please do :)

Katie K - you're in ... the 3 of us shall visit before 2009 is over!

Updates on our Fantasy Football League:

Grapevine Gophers 7-3
dr. julie 6-4
BD Gians 6-4
Brett who: 6-4 (who beat me by 1 point!)
Fun-n-Gun 5-5
BeeKay's Boys 4-5
Madison Giants 4-5
Rush 1-9

Katie said...

To Italy I am thankful for their cuisine! Growing up with a brother who would only eat pasta or pizza, I have had my fair share of Italian cuisine! Now if I only I could get to Italy to enjoy some genuine Italian cuisine! Add it to the list!

Julie, you're on! NYC or bust!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh...Go Gophers, go gophers, go, go, go gophers!

Oh Italy...thank you for your yummy food, your great fashion, and your beautiful architecture!!!

Anonymous said...

Julie...if I get a job before then, I'm in! It'll be a girls weekend.

Julie again...Yes, I beat you by 1 point. I prayed REALLY hard that Frank Gore wouldn't do so hot last night.

I love Italian food. Yumm-o! I'd also love to go visit some day...but that's not in the budget any time soon.

Cheryl Houston said...

Okay- lot's of "I would love to go..." in here today. To both NYC and Italy! I've been to NYC and love it! I have not been to Italy and would love to go! Dear Italy, thank you so much for pizza! I LOVE PIZZA! Sliced Pizza. Pizza rolls. Pepperoni- yum! Pasta- you just can't go wrong with it. Guess what I'm having for lunch!!

And art! I mean where would be without Donatello, da Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, Raphael... and so many more!

Viva Italia!

Peggy said...

It's possible for our 20th in two years we are doing the European tour, France, Italy, England....

So Italy, thank you for the great Art, without learning the great History of Italian Art... I wouldn't have gotten an A+... loved it!

And as everyone else... thank you for the great food! Can't say I've had true Italian food... but more or less the great American twist to the original Italian delights!

maureen said...

Italy... I am thankful for all my ancestors (especially Grandma) and their homemade pasta..... I am also thankful for "zepoli's". Living in Westbury, we have many friends that were born in Italy. Unfortunately I have no way of getting in touch with them at the moment because they are working. I do have perks though.... homemade wine....

I extend the NY invitation to anyone willing to spend a day with me in NYC.... You can kill 2 birds with one stone if you go to "Little Italy".

Anonymous said...

Claudia you missed the 4 men in your life. The ones you live with. They are all Italian citizens. Not to mention your inlaws. Ah yes....got to love those Italians.

Peggy said...

Beeny is Italian????

Anonymous said...

Both of my parents are Italian. One born in Italy the other born in IL, but her parents were born in Italy. I claimed Italian citizenship, which extends to all future heirs. So my children, their children, so on and so on. Beeny is actually British. Both of Rick's dad parents were born in England. So Rick is Italian from me his mother. Festagallo "feast of the rooster" is the family name.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Aaahhhh, yes. I did neglect to mention that the real reason I will be forever indebted to Italy is because Italy is a significant portion of my husband (and therefore children's ancestry).

I might add... I reap the BEST of these Italian qualities. Richard is both romantic AND a great cook!!!

Toni... I am just now making the connection between your collection of roosters (as nic knacks - not real) and your maiden name!

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Italy, but I would looooove to!!!

Julie said...

Tera ... you will get a job before the end of '09 ... that much I promise!

eknoxuk said...

Hmmm...Italy...proof that men can be romantic! Wine, bread and cheese for a meal! The leadership of my church! I must visit one day!