Sunday, November 2, 2008

A Thorny Topic...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm an election junkie
How 'bout you?

Are you feeling the energy?  It's almost palpable.  Presidential elections are tomorrow and I can't wait.  Elections are to me what Christmas is to my sons.  Total anticipation.  Tonight is election eve and tomorrow is Christmas.  All day long tuning into CNN and watching the election results.  I can't think of anything better.  In fact, I've already started worrying about what I'm going to do after the elections.  What will I watch? read about? talk about?  It'll be that same anti climatic feeling kids feel the day after Christmas.

Stop.  That's tomorrow.  Today we have the whole shabang ahead of us.  So snap out of it, and relish the moment.  

Today is about the anticipation of election day and party-planning for Tuesday night's festivities.  We're not hosting a party-party, but our immediate family will hunker down and watch the most anticipated election of our lifetime unravel, one glorious state at a time.  I'll figure out some red and blue treats for dessert (suggestions welcome) and the living room will be adorned with ____ - colored balloons.  It'll be fun (and a great civics lesson for our kids).  

I was toying with what we could do today in celebration of all the excitement.  The Dallas Morning News ran a contest, asking readers to write haiku's.  Been there done that, so haiku's are out.  But what about another form of poetry?  That's when it came to me...

Yes.  Today we will share election day thoughts, by asking you to compose your own, "Roses are Red, Violets are Blue," poem.  Here's my crack at it...

Roses are red
violets are blue
How about a 
Hanging chad or two?

One more try...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I missed early voting
How 'bout you?

One more thing.  Announcing another patch-yielding event!  If you have Patchwork Denim (or aspire to), take note.  I will award a Election Day Patch to anyone who does two things.  First, send me the front page of your local newspaper for Wednesday, November 5.  Second, send me some kind of proof that you voted (a sticker, a portion of your early-voter receipt, your Girl Scout promise, ... you decide).  My mailing address is: 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, TX. 76051.

Know nothing about Patchwork Denim?!?!?!  It's your chance to acquire cool patches for all kinds of fun events.  Check out the post from 8/7, titled, Patchwork.

That's it.  I'm out for the day.  CNN is calling my name.  You?  Compose a poem.  Tell me how you're planning to spend election night.  Make a suggestion for my election night dessert.  Let us know whether or not you early voted, or anything else that might be on your mind about elections.

Signing off until tomorrow...

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot wait for the election to be over- I am sick of it!

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I dont want either candidate
can we just have you?

and it would be fun to have only red and blue M&Ms if you could find those!!!

Anonymous said...

Roses are Red,
Violets are blue,
I wish Hilary was in it,
how about you?

Katie said...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
We're rocking the vote
to turn Virginia blue!

I voted absentee a few weeks ago, so I guess you could say I early voted. A lot of the residents in my building have been coming to me asking questions about how to vote and where to go. Since they're 18, this is their first time voting and there is quite a bit of excitement building around it! I, too, am glued to CNN!

Peggy said...

Oh, I like the haiku, it's sweet ...

Freedom is our right
Two wings make the Eagle soar
Vote! red, white and blue.

-or -
Roses are red
Our flag is blue too!
Go cast your vote
for the Angel or Maverick dude!

So, it isn't just the candidates slinging mud! It's journalist and talk show hosts too. That's what is funny, and kind of getting old.

The personal attacks on people like Joe the Plumber, clothing items, trying to figure out what they were "really" trying to say and analizing it over and over and over... or faux pas .. like we are expecting people/politicians to be PERFECT.

America will change tomorrow... it will be a different place... we are in the middle of history!!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Katie said...

Julie!!!

Thanks for the package! What a way to start a Monday! PB candy, sharpies, stickers, and socks!! Come on...now it's destined to be a great week!

Anonymous said...

Roses are Red
Violets are Blue
I'm for left, Husband's for right
Can we get through tomorrow night?

Anonymous said...

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
This Mama's for Obama,
through and through!

Cheryl Houston said...

Huh? There's an election tomorrow? Who's running? ha ha.

Cassie P. beat me to the punch but I have to say it has been fun seeing how passionate Claudia is about it. I know it's going to frustrate her that I still just really don't care.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I may not vote
because that's my right, too.

Brian K. Root said...

I'm not gonna lie... I feel like Christmas is coming tomorrow. I'm so pumped for this election!



Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm votin' for Obama,
And you should, too!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aBaX9GPSaQ

Anonymous said...

OH but i have to make an "amendment" to my earlier post...

I am voting tomorrow, I have decided between the two evils, finally!

Anonymous said...

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Obama's for change,
Hey, me too!

I can't wait until this is all over! I don't mind the presidential stuff, but it's all the local stuff that is driving me NUTS.

You should have red & blue ice cream tonight. I know how much you enjoy ice cream, CKB.

Anonymous said...

What is the deal with the blog-a-thon? I know we don't have enough people to do it for the entire time.

I feel like doing another bingo, or something where people get prizes will draw people in. That's just my thought.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Tera... You are right. We don't have enough people to fill the whole time slot. I am working today to try to fill some of the slots, but even if I am wildly successful.. I won't get all the slots filled.

We will go ahead with the story writing, regardless with a much-modified approach (more on this tomorrow). It will mean that we will want to look at another approach to filling the requests of the Helping Hand family.

Maybe the He;ping Hand coordinators will help us think this through. Clearly fundraising is not my strong suit.

Thanks for your commitment to the project, Tera.

CKB

maureen said...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
voting is a dread
the candidates are too!!


At this point Im glad its almost over. I hate both of them so Im going to let my instinct take over in the voting booth!!!

God help me !

We have a candy store named Dylan's in Roosevelt Field Mall they sell every color M&M separately by the pound. Claudia if you want I can get them before saturday if its not too late.

Hey Claudia want to feel old??? Michael is voting for the first time tomorrow!!!

I will see you this weekend. I am so looking forward to it. Just let me know an approx. time to come to moms to get you. I want to make reservations. Chris picked out the most amazing restaurant! He's a keeper!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

DREAD?

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Voting's a privilege
for the lucky few!

Maureen... How about getting to my mom's house around 5:45 or 6:00. Then we can visit for a while (you can see the boys) and we'll be gone from the house by 6:30.

Thanks for m & m offer. There's a local candy store that carries them. Maybe I'll get some for tomorrow.

Katie said...

Roses are red, Violets are blue,
Others fought so I could vote,
And they fought for you, too.

Cheryl Houston said...

Roses are red
Violets are blue
It doesn't matter who
We're still deep in poo


HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Anonymous said...

I agree Katie...not to make this blog go all serious but it does make me sad that so many people are not happy to vote. Regardless of how good (or bad) the candidates are I don't think voting is a privilege I think it is a responsibility. We have the responsibility to make informed decisions about the future of our country... just remember that not long ago must of us on this blog wouldn't have had the option to vote and I'm sure would be ticked about that. Funny how now that we have the right we all take it so much for granted.

Okay I'm off my soapbox, now get out there and vote! (but only if you are voting blue =p...just kidding)

Brian K. Root said...

I am super excited to vote in this election, and I think there are many others, too.

Yes, there are ALWAYS going to be people who don't like either candidate, but that's just how it goes.