Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving Eve: The Final Push


I'll be quick.  If you have as many items left on your to-do list as I have on mine then you don't have much time to spare.
  • Menu and shopping done.
  • Napkins and table cloth ironed.
  • Centerpiece underway.
  • Craft project less than half done
  • Silver still waiting to be polished
  • Straightening and cleaning... no sense in starting too early.
  • Boys outfits still need to be ironed.
  • Come to think of it, what will I wear?  Dig through closet.
Then I had another idea.  Wouldn't Pin The Feather on the Turkey be a fun game to play with the kids?  Maybe I can eek in just one more project.  I think I have everything I need: white banner paper, paint, and paint brushes.  Draw the turkey, have the boys paint it, add tape to cut-out feathers.  If I want to get really serious, I suppose I could get a prize.
  • Swing by Dollar Bin at Target to find a prize and some consolation treats.
Then I ran across a timely website and I started thinking... wouldn't Thanksgiving trivia at dinner be fun?  

No worries.  I'm not squeezing it into my list of things to do.  It's not exactly up my father in-law's alley and I don't have the time.  Maybe next year.

But you?  You could make it happen.  If nothing else.  Take a second and look at this site http://www.history.com/minisites/thanksgiving/.  It includes fun football facts; 15 things you didn't know about Thanksgiving; and truths about many of our favorite Thanksgiving myths.  If you haven't made place cards yet, you could place a question on the back of each place card!  Fun, fun, fun.

A couple more things then I'm done for today.

Yes, there will be a post tomorrow.  Many of you feel like family to me now, so I'd love it if you could check once during the day and let me know what you're up to.  When did you eat?  Are you watching football?  What was your favorite dish? Are you stuffed or going back for seconds?  You know, pick a topic and fill us in.

Today many of us will be hitting the road.  But, before you go...  Tell us what your thankful for this year.  I'll go first.  Mine is easy.  I am thankful my parents are still healthy.  And, of course, I am thankful for my three boys and a husband who is my perfect match.  Oh, and I suppose I'm also thankful for Starbucks, Sharpie Markers, and CNN's David Gergen.

Speaking of thankful... and then I'm done.  If you haven't already (and are able), consider purchasing an item for the family we adopted this holiday season.  Check out the Helping Hand link (top right hand corner of the page) for some ideas of what the family could use.  We are trying to bring closure to our portion of the initiative.  Christmas will be here before you know it and we need to leave time to get the items from Tera in Ohio to the family in PA, sometime between now and Christmas.  Items (or last minute donations) can be mailed to Tera at: 2590 N. Moreland, Apt. E22, Shaker Heights, OH 44120.

Signing off until tomorrow...

13 comments:

Julie said...

Hello from Effingham, IL!

My parents and I left yesterday morning from Erie, PA, and we're driving to AZ!

We celebrated our Thanksgiving on Monday, which was wonderful!!

Things I'm thankful for: my family and friends, the internet as a means of keeping in touch with people, the USPS, chocolate, and my Jeep!

Anonymous said...

Julie, You should listen to Ben Folds new song Effington...it is actually about Effingham, IL but he mis-wrote...it's on the album "On the Way to Normal"...which is a double entendre meaning normal-typical and Normal, Illinois.

What am I thankful for?

-My wonderful husband and beautiful daughter

-I'm thankful that both are healthy and we can laugh together as a family at least once a night.

-I'm thankful for my large family and Bal's parents...it's sad to miss out on Thanksgiving at home but that means I'm missing out on something which means I have something great to be thankful for.

-I'm thankful that Bal and I both have great jobs...in this economy it's scary to think about what would happen if that changed.

-I'm thankful that we are having the experience of living in a new state and discovering new things each day.

-I'm thankful for feeling empowered, respected, and useful in my new job

-I'm thankful for all my friends and all of you.

Peggy said...

Wow, Illinois is spotlighted!! Never heard of Effingham until this summer when a friend drove from Salt Lake City to Ohio (as sort of a pilgrimage)... Effingham being the place where the Latter Day Saints origniated (?), or something like that.

And they always have commercials about Normal Illinois.... being in Northern Illinois myself... we'd have to drive along a lot of "Flatland" to get to the south to visit such places!!

I'm thankful for everything... how precious sight is (now that I work in an Ophthalmology office)all my senses for sure... to have family, a loving and supportive husband, children who are healthy and make me be proud to be their mom, parents who still are here for me. How lucky and thankful I am to live in America and be free!I so look forward to what will happy later today, tomorrow, next year and beyond! Thanks!

maureen said...

I am thankful for my husband who respects me for who I am and never tries to change me (almost never). He is the greatest man I know....

I am thankful for my son Michael who at 18 still kisses me hello and goodbye and calls me 100 times a day from school (which is a mile from home). He is the next GREAT MAN ( Im still tweaking some things). I want his wife to be Thankful one day!!!

I am thankful for my two daughters, Krysten and Melissa. They make my laugh every single day. They are my most precious "friends". They love me so completely.....

Im thankful for the ability to be able to sit here each day and sign on to a world of friends I have never met and feel so comfortable as if I knew them forever.....

Now you guys...... arent you THANKFUL I decided to end this post now LOL:)

Happy Turkey Day HLA!
See you tomorrow!

Amber said...

I love Ben Folds!

We are headed over to Troy OH tomorrow just for the day. I will be baking pies tonight to take with us. I am very much looking forward to Granda Wilma's homemade crescent rolls. It is always the highlight of Thanksgiving.

This year I am thankful for many things, but will keep it brief:

...my two beautiful and healthy children. They are a joy to our family and make me a better Mama everyday...

...my wonderful husband who gave up something he loved to stay at home with our kids. He is loving and supportive and makes me a better person (nearly) everyday...

...my sister Jes. She is a strong and independent woman. I admire her tenacity and work ethic, even in the face of adversity. I miss her everyday and wish she lived next door, although I'm sure our husbands would divorce us...

...our friend, Darren. He has had a rough couple of years, but it takes a strong and confident person to accept help from your friends...

...the rest of my family and friends. I love them and miss them all. I wish there were more hours in the day. With HLA, I hope to use some of the ideas here to keep in touch and be a better friend...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Thanks for all of those who have already checked in today. I know not everyone is home preparing for the holidays, but there is something very nice about busily moving through my home knowing my HLA friends are checking in periodically.

I love reading your lists of things for which to be thankful.

Anonymous said...

Hello from Missoula, MT- home of the Montana Grizzlies who will be entering the college football playoffs this weekend against Texas State Bobcats. Our rivalry in Montana is the Montana State Bobcats- so we are looking forward to putting another whopping on some Bobcats from Texas!

I'm thankful for my daughter who everyday learns new things and just warms my heart that she is in my life. Can't imagine was life was like before her.

I'm also very thankful for my family and very close friends who have done nothing but support me and push me to achieve my dreams.

Hope everyone on HLA has a safe and happy Thanksgiving Holiday- GO GRIZ!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Oooohhh... MT Kelly. I'm not at all connected to Texas State Bobcats, but those just sound like fightin' words!!!

Should we put a friendly little wager on this??!?!? Hmmmm... what could it be?

Ideas anyone?

maureen said...

Claudia and MT. Kelly..... Put a wager on it that which ever state wins the losing state has to mail a Christmas ornament (something football) to the winner. It sounds good to me at least....

Anonymous said...

I can take that wager- and my tree will look great having another football ornament on it this year!! LOL
Are you in Claudia???

Katie said...

This year I am thankful for...

-the means to get home for the Holidays and spend time with family

-friends both from years past and that I've made this year.

-my health and happiness

-my family and their support through both struggles and triumphs

Off to do some Christmas shopping!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Am I in? What kind of question is that?!?! OF course I'm in! My tree can always stand an additional ornament.

What's this? I've been in TX one year and already I've got the "Don't Mess With Texas" thing down!

Kristen Giger said...

I am thankful for the wedding of my dreams to the most wonderful man in the world and for the birth of our beautiful, wonderful, perfect all american girl (any country fans out there).