Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Dankie, Suid-Afrika...


The new South African flag, adopted in 1994, 
is the only flag to use six colors and is said to represent 
the new democratic South Africa. - Post Aparthied. 
 
Today we celebrate World Kindness Week by making a short stop in South Africa.  While there, we will pay thanks to this diverse nation for contributions to the world, from which we all benefit. 

Eleven official languages, five racial categories, three capital cities (Cape Town, Bloemfontein, and Pretoria), and a religious and cultural life as varied as its people.  That's a lot to be proud of.  Of course that was not always the case.  Many of us might unfortunately associate South Africa with our limited knowledge of apartheid - the horrific legal racial segregation enforced by the National Party government (until the mid-90's).

To be proud of?  There is much.  To South Africa we are thankful for or... in the spirit of the week... To suid-afrika ons is dankbaar vir....

Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Nobel Peace prizewinners
Macadamia Nuts
The Palace of the Lost City, the largest theme resort hotel in the world.
Inventor of the Cat Scan
Diamonds!!!!
Gold
R62, the longest wine route in the world
The world's first heart transplant, and

The amazing cultural tradition of Zulu Beadwork.  I'll be brief, but if you appreciate creativity you will LOVE this!  

Zulu's are the largest South African ethnic group and have treated the rest of the world to their intricate and symbolic beading.  A short written work from edunetconnect.com explains,  
"Most if not all cultures have a kind of symbol system to show whether a person is married or single.  In the U.S. most common is the use of wedding and engagement rings.  Among traditional Mennonites, if a door is painted green, it means there is a daughter eligible for marriage.  The Zulu people developed a complex code using colored beads.

Young girls learned bead work and the meaning of the symbols and colors used from their older sisters.  The bead work was usually worn as a head or neck band.  Men depended on female relatives to explain the code.  They see whether a a woman is engaged, married, has children or unmarried sisters.  The patterns and colors can also tell what region comes from  and what her social standing is.

The one basic geometric shape used for this kind of bead work is the triangle and a maximum of seven colors.  The three corners of the triangle represent the family, mother, father, and child.  The point of the triangle is facing down is the symbol for an unmarried man or boy, while a triangle with the point facing up is the symbol for an unmarried woman or girl.  A married man is symbolized by two triangles joined at the point forming an hourglass shape.  A married woman is shown by two triangles joined at the base making a diamond shape.

The seven colors used are black, blue, yellow, green, pink, red, and white.  Each color has two meanings, one positive, one negative, except white.  White has only one meaning, purity and spiritual love.  When another color is used beside white, it takes its positive meaning."

Take a look at this...

Black: Marriage, rebirth or death, sadness
Blue: Faithfulness, request or hostility, dislike
Yellow: Wealth, garden or badness, thirst, withering
Green: contentment or discord, illness
Pink: Promise, high status or poverty, laziness
Red: Love, strong emotion or anger, heartache
White: Spiritual love, purity
When in South Africa, let's do like the Zulu's.  Today, how about telling us how you're feeling or what's on your mind using the Zulu's Bead Code?
Besig om te teken af tot more...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful to South Africa for Bal and I's "adoptive son". Nathan marched with us when Bal and I were 21 and he was just 14...he came the US to play the trumpet and at the end of the season he asked if Bal and I would adopt him so he could stay in the U.S....so sweet.
Nathan (as well as another South African--Ashton) lived in the bush and were the most amazing runners you would ever meet. According to Nathan they had to walk if they wanted to go anywhere and unfortunately they had to run if they wanted to go anywhere safely. So run they did and when they came to the U.S. they both ran about a 4 min. 30 sec mile with no formal training of anykind....AMAZING!!!

Anonymous said...

I am feeling a little RED, WHITE, and BLUE today!!! HAHA- coincidence!

Peggy said...

Diamonds are a girls best friend!

I'm feeling green....a little bit like Kermit the frog! Contentment... neither happy nor sad... middle of the road....

funsies said...

Hi HLA! It's been awhile, but I was thinking about you this morning! I have a meeting with one of the department chairs of the college student personel program at JMU, because I'm thinking of switching into the program. It was only a matter of time.
So I guess I am feeling green. It's kind of funny... Green: contentment or discord. These seem like opposing ideas, but I guess they both kind of fit me right now. Feeling one in search for the other!
Hope everyone is doing well!

Cheryl Houston said...

That's cute Heather.

Funsies!! I've missed you.

I'm a HUGE fan of the cat scan since one detected the internal bleeding after I was involved in a car accident.

I like diamonds. Don't any, but I like them.

Color... I guess I'll take green, too. Green and white because I want the positive. :)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Funsies... so glad to hear you are taking steps towards making this most rewarding change in your life. Katie, Heather, me, and so many others of us will expect to see you at national conferences. Student affairs is a wonderful field - rewarding beyond measure.

Thanks for joining us today!

maureen said...

Im feeling "BLACK" (sadness). I got the honor of reading little Matthew (Claudia's son) a story the other night and since then I have been thinking of how when my kids were little I couldnt wait until they became more independent and now that they are I miss things like reading books.

Claudia I wish you lived closer so we could trade off some time....... I know you are looking for quieter times LOL

I am happy for DIAMONDS ..... I love them more than you can imagine.....

Anonymous said...

I'm blue and pink today...faithfulness and promise. I can't find a job so I need to keep both in my life. I'm also red...but I'm always full of love for Treye, my family and friends!

Cheryl Houston said...

Totally off topic here. Does everyone remember our whole lie/lay grammar post?

I just ran an article on MSN and I officially blame Bob Dylan and Eric Clapton. My love of music led me astray grammatically when I heard their songs... Lay, lady, lay and Lay down Sally are BOTH incorrect and I love both of those songs.

I have reinforced the lie/lay error once again... I still don't know if I'll get right but hey, it could happen.

Cheryl Houston said...

i. hate. typos.

It was either supposed to be ran across or read an article.

I guess I'll let you pick.

Katie said...

I'm feeling red today...love.

I love the work I'm doing.
I love that I'm in a grad program I chose with my whole heart.
And I love that in 10 days I will be going home to KY for a whole week! Those of you who know me well know that I wanted nothing more than to get out of KY, but distance does make the heart grow fonder!

Anonymous said...

MAN! I am so with Katie K today...

I love that I broke up with my boyfriend and feel great about it!
I love that I have such great friendships!
I love that I am a happier person!