Thursday, November 13, 2008

Danke, Osterreich!

Announcements at the end...

From the newly designed South African flag (1994) 
to the Austrian flag - one of the oldest in the world (1191)

I'll cut to the chase with Austria.  They've been around a long time and made lots of contributions to our global community.  Sure they've given us items we enjoy such as Porsche's, Volkswagens, and the sewing machine.  But, my inquiries (albeit rather cursory) left me with one overarching impression. 

The Austrian culture is responsible for introducing us to great minds such as:

Sigmund Freud
Haydn
Schubert
Liszt
J.Strauss
Mahler
Bruckner
Mendel, who established the basis of modern genetics
Adler,who contributed to the foundations of modern psychology and our very own...
Arnold Schwarzenegger!

A name is missing from this list.  Take a shot at guessing whose name (without the aid of the internet).  We'll play jeopardy style.  

This famous Austrian...

At age 17 accepted a low paying job and then left it in search of a better position
Married his wife against the wishes of his family
Was the father of six kids, only two of which survived infancy.
Had one living sister
Had a good relationship with his mother and father
Produced an illegal copy of a piece of art from the Sistine Chapel
Eventually fell into debt and had to pawn valuables
Was fired from a position and literally "kicked in the @$$."
Lived a plush lifestyle that later led to financial stress
Had a declining career due to a struggling economy
Liked to play pool
Liked to dance
Had pets including a bird, a dog, and a horse
Died at age 35

Your turn to guess.  Who is...

Announcements:
  • Happy 9th Anniversary to Me and Richard!
  • Voting Patches:  As of today, Katie, Peggy, and Julie are the three people who have earned a Voting Patch.  To receive your patch, simply send me the cover of your local paper from Wednesday, November 5 and your word that you voted.
  • Blog-a-thon: Checks from 9 of the 22 people who signed up to participate in the Blog-a-thon have been received.  Ideally I will be able to send Tera a money order, containing the full amount, by a week from this Monday (November 24).  My mailing address is: Claudia K. Beeny 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, TX 76051
Signing of bis morgen...

19 comments:

Julie said...

Who is ... I have no idea. Good thing I didn't wager anything ;)

Just a little note to my "sending mail" loving friends. I'm moving out of my current apt next Saturday morning. I might be hesitant to drop anything in the mail to me beyond this weekend. When I get my new address in AZ, I will pass it on!

Anonymous said...

who is adolf hitler?

I think he was austrian, so thats my guess. I will try to get the money to you soon from the blog-a-thon!! sorry dr. b!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh no...I don't know the answer at all...but we left off another great Austrian for whom I'm thankful!!!

Who might you ask?
A whole slew of them responsible for MY love of music. That dear von Trapp family!!! If it weren't for their amazing story and their amazing singing there never would have been The Sound of Music which was my first introduction to the wonderful world of music.
They were all Austrians until the events that led to their fleeing the country and moving to Vermont.

Anonymous said...

Okay after a quick google I know the answer and feel quite silly that I didn't think of this...actually the name crossed my mind but the clues led me elsewhere.

Good luck everyone.

Peggy said...

Well, he's got to be someone from the early part of the 20th Century.... sometime before the 1940's ... I'm thinking some sort of designer or actor... that's all I can think of!
Heinrich Von Logger (? hee hee)

****shameless plug****

Just a fyi... tomorrow I will be posting my 500th blog post. Come take a look... leave your name and a comment....special blog candy will be picked for one lucky visitor. Rememeber, that's tomorrow!!
http://prdesigns.blogspot.com

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Love it, Peggy. We will all be there. 500 blog posts! From one blogger to another, that is quite and accomplishment!

Cassie, while you are correct that Adolf Hitler is Austrian, he is not the correct choice. I, as I am sure you will agree, did not think he should be on the list of people to whom we should be grateful.

Heather and all you other industrious people who can Google your way out of anything... wait until the latter part of the day before spilling the beans. Once revealed, maybe we can list some of his many other accomplishments!

eknoxuk said...

I've been to Austria! My favorite part was the quaint little towns on lakes. The highways were two lane roads that took us through pretty green areas out in the country for a long way, then we would come upon another little village on a lake. It was beautiful! The salt mines were fun too, we slid down the mine on a burlap sack! Vienna was of course beautiful and loved all the Mozart, Oh, Mozart! Had you mentioned him yet?
And Viener Schnitzel, the only food I think they're famous for!

Katie said...

Happy Anniversary!

eknoxuk said...

Oh and Happy Anniversary too!

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary...congrats!

CKB, I'm not sending you a check for Treye and I. I'll just add it to the pot once I get the money from you. I figure no need to mail back and forth.

Julie - be sure to go to the post office in Bradford and fill out the paperwork to have stuff forwarded to your new address. I think stuff is forwarded for 6 months.

I have NO clue who we're tying to guess so I googled. Should have known this one!

Cheryl Houston said...

Happy Anniversary! And many more.

I'm a goof! I read the first part quickly and read Australia instead of Austria... so I read the whole post thinking- huh? The Porsche was not from Australia.

Now, do we think the Germans are going to balk about you giving credit to Austria for the Porsche? Mr. Ferdinand Porsche was Austrian but born to German parents and the headquarters of Porsche is in Germany. Is this one of those KY/OH border things? And speaking of Hitler- not someone to be grateful for at all- he assisted Mr. Porsche in the creation of the VW Beetle. I'll try not to hold that against the car that our family counts on a daily basis. I'm up to 9 this morning.

I have my money for the blog-a-thon and will get that to you this weekend.

I also have my proof of voting and newspaper. You know I can't resist earning a patch.

Peggy- congratulations on 500 posts!

I had no clue who our mystery Austrian was so I googled it. Historical Trivia is not a strength.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Ding, ding, ding! Congratulations, Erica! Mozart, it is!!!!

Now that cat is out of the bag, maybe those of us who know something more about this incredible man and his accomplishments will feel free to share.

How about it? Fill today's posts with new and interesting facts about Mozart and at day's end, I will reward one lucky contributor.

eknoxuk said...

YAY!! Vienna was filled with Mozart! The funniest thing is that there were Mozart chocolates and liquor everywhere! I did get to do a tour of a home he lived in!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl... all points well taken regarding the Porsche and all true. I, with my limited capacities, could not figure out how to add all the qualifiers and not lose the point.

Everyone, please make note of Cheryl's point, so I don't feel responsible for you walking around town with misinformation.

Second. YIppppeeeee! If only for the patch, I am thrilled you made it to the voting booth!

Here's a first fun fact about Mozart. At the age of five years old, he could both read and write music. Does that make Matthew a total slacker or what?

Katie said...

Not only did he start composing at age 5, he gave his first concert at age 6. What an incredible musician!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Mozart's dad may have been the first "Show Mom" as he pushed for his son and daughter to perform.

In Mozart's time, he was more famous as being a child prodigy than as an adult musician.

Anonymous said...

Oh please...Lily is totally already composing her own music. You should hear her on her Fisher Price Baby Grand!

Laura K said...

Mozart is my favorite opera composer of all time...he is HILARIOUS in his writing and I love him! A few of my favorites are Cosi fan Tutte, the Marriage of Figaro, and Don Giovanni (which we did in college, and I loooooved, even though I was not a major role). Ah, to be so talented!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Laura... some would say, "ah, you are so talented!"