Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Whack on the Side of the Head Wednesday: Impossible!

How do you whack the perfect dessert?  Impossible.  

Today Von Oech's creative whack pack gets put to W-O-R-K!  The deck of cards, of course is designed to whack our thinking... to take an imperfect idea and make it better.  I am not qualified for this.  Ice cream to me is the ultimate dessert... perfect in its current state.  In need of no changes... nada... zippo. About the only recommendation I might concede worth making is some kind of topping for an otherwise ordinary scoop of vanilla ice cream.

The hair just stood up on a handful of your necks, I'm sure.  My husband's included.  He's a purist.  Vanilla ice cream, no chunks, no chips, no syrup.  Not me.  I like texture.  The more the better (unless of course it's a nut which I won't eat due to allergies).  Nonetheless, if my choices are straight up vanilla ice cream or a cup of fruit cocktail... I'm going vanilla ice cream every day of the week.

Are you ready to start whacking?  All warmed up (or cooled down as the case may be)?  

As you might have imagined, today's we will whack ICE CREAM.  We'll go broad.  That is to say, we'll look at ice cream in any form... flavor, methods of delivery, venues for selling, or when and how it is consumed... you pick.  Now the whack...

Imagine How Others Would Do It.  What people do you respect for creative achievement?  A leader in your field?  A teacher?  A parent?  Now, imagine that one of these people is responsible for developing your concept.  What would they do?  How would they approach it?  How would someone else change your idea?

Here's my crack at a whack... My friend, Sherry is the first person who came to mind when thinking about someone I respect for creative achievement.  A little about Sherry...  

I came to know her while working at Southern Methodist University.  She was part of what I affectionately refer to as the "Dream Team" (a group of people with which I had the privilege of working for a number of years).  I - the ideas person - would dream up some seemingly outlandish orientation theme, requiring props, printed materials, back drops, costumes... the whole nine yards.  The Dream Team made the ideas come to life.  Deanie, the props; Fred, anything made of wood; Quynh, master organizer and overseer of all details; Carol, the money lady and creative financier; and Sherry... well Sherry was the graphic artist who set the whole thing in motion.  For, without a "look" nothing else could follow.  To say we were a WELL OILED MACHINE would be an understatement!

I have dreams for Sherry and me.  I've told her since the day I left SMU, that one day I will make it big and when I do, my first order of business will be to hire her on staff.  Sherry is a total package.  She's master photographer, a fellow paper-lover, a nature lover, has a genuine love for children, and never, never, never complains.  She has the midas touch, transforming even the simplest thing into something that looks like a million bucks.  The world is a more aesthetically pleasing place because she is in it!

Sherry left SMU for a short stint and moved to another part of Texas where she and a couple of other women opened an art studio where, among other things, children's art classes were taught.  So, when thinking about how Sherry might change ice cream, children and art immediately came to mind.

Would she open an ice cream bar where children could order sundaes not only by flavors, but also by shape?  Want a panda bear sundae?  Sherry sets to work using ice cream, oreos, m&m's, Butter fingers and a variety of other toppings to depict the bear's paws, eyes, and mouth.  How about a giraffe?  Maybe a scoop of ice cream with a pretzel rod sticking out?  A snowman sounds yummy?  Two scoops of vanilla, a marshmallow hat, red hot buttons....  I'm limited, but Sherry... NO!  I feel certain she could go on for days rattling off animals and all sorts of other shapes children could create using ice cream and assorted toppings.  Or maybe she wouldn't even do the decorating.  Maybe the whole point of the ice cream bar is that the basic ice cream sculpture is provided, but kids use their creativity to decorate their bear, giraffe, or snow man however they see fit.  Sherry could make it work.

How about you?  Whose creative achievements do you respect and how might they whack ice cream?
Here's one final kicker to make today extra fun.  I have in my possession three bags from the clearance rack at Target.  They make the perfect tote for moving creative projects (card making, book writing, sewing, etc...) from one place to another.  One bag will go to the highlowaha reader who submits the winning idea (as awarded by my neutral neighbor.  Ideas should be submitted by 9:00 CST).  The second bag will go to the person who inspired your whack (the person you respect for his/her creative achievement) and the third bag will go to... are you ready?... a RANDOM WINNER selected from my Random Acts of Kindness box of postcards!  Yes, the box of postcards is finally activated! 

Still need to submit your postcard for future giveaways (another coming up later this week and still another next week) and random acts?  My address is:
Claudia Beeny
4012 Harvestwood Court
Grapevine, Texas 76051
Remember all you lurkers... no need to even reveal yourself.  Just send a postcard with your address and that's enough to get you included in the drawings. 
Signing off until tomorrow...

15 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yesterday's winner of the $5.00 gift card...

CSPgrad student and Cheryl had a tie, each with two correct answers. Both names were put in a hat and CHERYL, your name was drawn! Congratulations!

The answers:
Most ordered = cone
Topping = Heath bar
Busiest day = Saturday
Children's favorite = Strawberry
Number of samples = 3

Peggy said...

Whose creative achievements do you respect and how might they whack ice cream?

I truly admire Shelli Gardner, the Cofounder and CEO of SU! (stampin up)... although I am not a rep nor do I have ties to the company... I love, love, LOVE their stuff and the way they present it and sell it. My degree is in Marketing and Commercial Design and I've always drawn or created something. I've made my own greeting cards in some form or matter for almost 25 years now... and when I went to my first SU! party over 6 years ago... I was hooked and inspired by the simplicity and the creativity.

From what I can tell, reading bits and pieces of history, these are creative women who decided there was a need for a creative stamping company and they get the ball rolling. (There are so many now, home parties with entrepreneur women)
So, the whack is, Here's the scoop:

http://prdesigns.blogspot.com

check out my blog and see the icecream cone cards I made. Although the image is not SU! the concepts and designs are what I learned from a demo or the talented women who go to stampin communities to share their talent and knowledge.

Anonymous said...

My person would be one of my kid's teachers. She always had great treat for the kids when school began. They always had a huge muffin and juice awating them on the first day of school and great ice-breaker activities. All the school knew about it and would look forward to having her as their teacher. So I think something to go along with her generosity towad the kids and her creative ways of getting them to work without knowing it would be to supply the kids with the items to make a sundae and then have them write about it. Make their own ad to sell/promote it or something along those lines. Then one would have won the kids over because you fed them, received a writing assignment from them and learned about their likes as far as ice cream goes...good info to hold onto for rewards in the future.
LR

Cheryl Houston said...

Yay! How fun! Thanks Claudia!

I need to think about todays challenge...

Peggy- your ice cream cards are great!

Claudia- do you see how you are inspiring everyone who reads your blog?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Peggy and others...

I just checked out the fun ice cream cards on Peggy's web site. With 29 more days until the end of National Ice Cream Month, I must have a set. Peggy, can I buy a set of 5? I must send them to friends and family encouraging them to celebrate!

Cheryl Houston said...

Three people came to mind for today's challenge. My sister, Leigh Ann. My aunt, Cynthia. And, my friend, Cassie. I know I'm only supposed to pick one but it's just not possible.

Leigh Ann used to sew a lot but I don't think she has much time for it these days. She's also a very good cook and master planner. If she was going to take on the task of whacking ice cream, I think she would throw an Ice Cream party with the colorful decorations, artsy centerpieces and fun for everyone.

Cynthia creates the greatest cards much like Peggy's. Her cards are the only ones that I will not throw away. If I was super organized I would create a box just for her cards. She would make ice cream cards.

Cassie is the master of scrapbooking. She creates the best pages for her sons- She has four! Her handwriting is to die for! And she has the most perfect tag lines under each photo. She could design a template for pages in your scrapbook. Maybe it's a page of pictures of a kid eating ice cream through the years. Plan ahead moms.

My whack on Ice cream... I'm going to file it in my list of projects- drawings and photographs based around ice cream. And next years end of school party has to be an ice cream swim social! Wait- why wait that long... back to school...

Peggy said...

Yay! Claudia, I tried to email you yesterday because I came up with a 'new idea' flyer, did you get it?... but I couldn't tell if your email has L's or 1's....my stock cards with envelopes are $2 each... I make a somewhat different card each time, with the similar style and colors (I get bored with repeats) each card is unique and handmade. Email me, anyone, and then I can tell you more how and what I do... I charge exact mailing etc...
prdesigns1@sbcglobal.net
(that is a one after designs)
Thanks

Kat said...

The first person who popped into my head was my husband. He is the most creative person I know when it comes to anything edible! He arranges beautiful meals, even if they only consist of a grilled cheese, chips, and fruit. Last week he made me a s'more sundae which was a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of a hot and gooey s'more topped off with grahm cracker crumbs and chocolate sauce. I think if he were to have an ice cream shop, he would make classic desserts with an ice cream twist on them. For example, key lime pie shakes, or strawberry shortcake sundaes. He would be much more imaginative then I am though.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Kat... are you serious?!?! Your husband made you a smore sundae?!?!?! As if the sundae isn't great enough... your husband made it?

Don't get me wrong people.. my husband is a keeper! He's perfect in a million ways, but a smore sundae...?? That is good.

Tell him he gets two thumbs up from me.

maureen said...

The most creative person I know is my husband Chris. He as you know is from Brazil and being literally poor made him learn to do more with less. He is most creative in the kitchen. He can make anything not only look good but taste amazing. He has taught me so much. I have learned to make a lot of exotic dishes from him. My son tells us that the both of us could own a 5 star restaurant. I dont want to "live, eat and breath" in a kitchen. Chris was once an owner of 3 restaurants in Brazil. He now is a contractor and I have to tell you he can look at a house that needs "to be blown up" and make it gorgeous. I guess you can say he is extremely versatile...

needless to say, I have 3 gorgeous kids he created, an amazing house he built and I look forward to sharing the kitchen with him.....

What more could a girl want?

I guess he's got me hooked!!!!!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Maureen... So inquiring minds want to know... how would the former restaurateur turned construction worker, loyal husband, and great father whack ice cream?

maureen said...

Keeping in mind that Chris doesnt like ice cream (can you believe it?). He actually likes "Cold Stone Creamery". He said that it should always taste homemade, he wished it wouldn't melt so fast because he likes hard ice cream, he said the colors should be more vibrant (like sherbert). Also he would make it not be so filling and fattening so every day could be an ice cream day! And it should be pleasing to the eye!

I think this borders lunacy!!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

Doh! Maureen's comment jarred me... it wasn't Marble Slab that my favorite concoction (Monday's conversation) came from it was Cold Stone Creamery! It's to die for! They have the best recipes like "Cookie Dough't You", Banana Carmel Crunch and All Lovin, No Oven. The one I posted on Monday was my own creation... what should they call it. Whipped Carmel Delight?

And, I'm confused... if Chris likes Cold Stone- he likes ice cream, right?

Anonymous said...

i sent you an e-mail today dr. b, did you get it?!

maureen said...

as far as Chris is concerned Cold Stone is the only ice cream! He won't touch anything else