Saturday, July 19, 2008

Lights, Lights, Everywhere

Christmas Eve with the cousins was fun.  Let's see... I scored a great activity box that Jack immediately wanted.  Ricky got two books.  Richard got beach art from Key Largo. My nephews walked away with a Christmas decoration and a wallet, respectively.  My mother in law scored a brand new game.  My brother in law got a piece of plumbing for you toilet.  And, my father in law walked away with the perfect gift for him... a Vera Bradley purse and change purse.  All in all, a successful swap.  Oh, and Matthew... he scored a pair of roller skates.  He thinks he's the coolest thing since sliced bread.  The real question... how well do you sleep with four-pound clunky skates attached to your ankles?
I wonder if any of you will consider doing Christmas in July next week or the week after... or if you'll log the idea and consider pulling it out sometime next year.  Either way... I thought I would share a few afterthoughts... things I wish I would have thought about ahead of time.  Needless to say.. planning is the key to making this idea work... stress free.
  • After packing away Christmas items next December, create a separate box labeled, "Christmas in July."  Set aside any of the decorations or other chatchka you might want to use. Example... I located my Christmas stockings easily, but I could not figure out the box in which I packed my stocking holders.  Consequently, they had to be taped to the mantle... tacky, I know.
  • At the end of season next year, shop with "Christmas in July" in mind.  I found myself wanting Christmas stickers and wrapping for the treats we delivered on Friday and napkins and plates for last night's party.  I ended up finding what I needed, but it could have been better and cheaper.
  • Many of us referenced our kids receiving way more than is necessary from family, friends, and Santa.  How about holding onto some of their presents next year with the intention of presenting them in July?  They won't notice in December and the treats will probably get extra "air time" in July.
  • Consider allowing your kids to organize a "white elephant" gift exchange similar to the one we did last night.  Each child wrapped a gently used item and walked away with, what to them, felt like a brand new toy.  Recycling toys is good role modeling.
  • Big events or gestures not necessary.  Playing Christmas music; Christmas tree pancakes for breakfast; coloring Christmas pictures or doing another Christmas craft; wearing red and green; posing and answering Christmas questions; while driving in the car... these are many of the small things we did throughout the week that helped add to the Christmas cheer.   
Thanks for playing along.  Now an exercise in creativity for you and your kids, the neighborhood, or kids at the pool.  You name it.  Email it to nephews, nieces, and any other child you might know.  I need the fresh and creative minds of kids and adults to help name the character below. 

Anyone submitting a name will have his/her name entered in a drawing for a Christmas in July box of treats.  Thanks for playing.  We'll run this activity through the weekend, so I won't draw the name for winner until Sunday night.  We'll announce on Monday morning.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  Signing off until Monday...

18 comments:

melissa Rose said...

How about "Watson" he looks smart "bright"

Anonymous said...

How about one of the following names:
Spot light
or
Mr. "Light" Idea
or
Stop Light

Anonymous said...

how about "brightly", "Wattly", and/or "Sunny"

maureen said...

I have to think about this ... when I look at a light bulb all I think about is my electric bill and "sickening" wouldn't be an appropriate name (ha ha)...

as for Christmas in July your idea about setting away some things within easy reach is great.. My stuff for Chrismas is packed away and I am lucky I can get to it once a year never mind twice....

Krysten said...

Einstein because they are both bright and full of ideas

maureen said...

Heres what I have:

Phil (filament)
Hal (halogen)

If it were my choice he looks like a "Sparky"

It's easier to name kids!

Krysten said...

how about "Edison" for Thomas Edison!!
Without Thomas there would be no light bulb!!!!!!!!

Nicole Zirnheld Aldridge said...

Mr. Brightenstein
Bulby Longbottom

Anonymous said...

I was going to say Sparky, Maureen!! Oh, well... that's what I get for taking so long to get to the blog today. Watson would be cute if spelled Wattson. Mr. Megawatt? Louie the Illuminator? My hub suggested Joules (a measurement of energy). And yes, I know we're not kids, but we don't have a lot of access to children who are old enough to talk, so this will have to do. He does look like a boy light bulb to me. Free for All Freddie?

Anonymous said...

Larry the lightbulb, Lightbulb Larry, N. Lighten
Jake R.

Anonymous said...

My first thoughts went to "L" names so he could be:
Ludwig von Lightbulb
Linus Lightbulb
Langston Lightbulb
Lenny the Lightbulb
Landon Lightbulb
or of course paying homage to our former town Louis the Lightbulb.

Then I started to think of other words that meant idea, or light and thought of:
Lumen
Brighton

Finally if you take the first three letters of High, Low and Aha you get HLA...scrambled they spell
HAL

That's it...I'm spent and ready for bed.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Nice work, Heather! HAL just moved further up on the short list.

Anonymous said...

Brightbulb Smartypants (named after his pal Spongebob Squarepants)

Mr. Inspiration

Bright I. Dea

Anonymous said...

I like HAL, thats cute. I dont have any ideas...I already have a headache today, so thinking hard enough to come up with a new name that isnt already said hurts my head too much.

Krysten said...

Feel better Cassie, I just had the worst headache from the heat. I went in my pool and I feel soooo much better.

Brian K. Root said...

I second the nomination for "Bright I. Dea"... that's clever.

Julie said...

Zap?

George?

Not very creative, I know. I'm sorry.

Also, my computer at work wouldn't let me post on Friday ...so my Christmas question would be:

snow or no?

Anonymous said...

Okay...here are a few more to toss in the ring..
Phil A. Mint (spelled with the i in "mint" in honor of the Altoid table)
Beamer
Ray
Blaze
Shiner
Eureka
Lori