Saturday, July 12, 2008

Go Fly A Kite!

First an interesting observation... For the past two days we have had a marked increase in readers and they are coming from all over the country (and even world).  In fact, while we typically yield about 120-125 views each day, yesterday we had 203.  AND... the readers were from 11 countries and 27 states (as opposed to our typical 2 countries and 15 states).  I'm not sure what's happening, but I LOVE it.

Welcome all you new readers!  Visit us daily (except Sundays) for the next couple of weeks and you will see what all the fuss and fun is about!

Now an admission...

I hate supermarkets.  I do.  For one, they are always cold.  On the rare occasion I have to step inside one (I was lucky enough to marry a man who loves to cook and therefore picks out his own ingredients), I bee -line through the produce section and meet back up with the family in Baking Goods.  The other thing I hate... there appears to be very little order to the way a grocery store is stocked.  You could finally work your way through produce and all the way to dairy only to realize you forgot something at the deli counter.  It's ALL the way back to the other end of the store... and then back again for other sundry items that you've inevitably forgotten.  At least the library has the Dewey Decimal system.  Finding a title might seem like a needle in a hay stack, but actually follow the assigned letters and numbers and it's all very orderly.  Not so with supermarkets.

Enough ranting.  There is actually a reason I brought that up.  Yesterday the Central Market in Grapevine, Texas earned one gold star.  For all of my disdain, I thought it only fair to praise when praise is due.  We stopped last night to pick up a few items for a gathering of friends and family tonight.  Imagine my surprise when, at checkout, we were presented with brown bags (which you already know I LOVE) that said the following.... 

"I am a brown paper bag.  More than likely, I'll end up under your kitchen sink with a few favorite friends.  I might get cut up and wrapped around an old textbook, or just stuck under something messy.  It would be nice if someone made me into a kite.  I'd like to be a kite but whatever happens, I will never forget the day I carried groceries home from Central Market."

So, I have my marching orders...  Today the boys and I will liberate the brown bags.  Today they will fly free... high in the sky as proud and colorful kites.  Check back on Monday and see what we came up with.  As for me, I'm off to go fly a kite...

Signing off until tomorrow... 

15 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Update from yesterday's contest. I know you're all waiting to know who the lucky winner is...

Heidi and I made the agreement the necklace would go to the person who either guessed dead on... or who came within two shades of her favorite color.

We didn't account for multiple guesses, so the predicament arose as to whether it should go to the person whose FIRST guess came closest or just the person whose guess came closest.

I decided to keep it clean and not do any of my own interpreting. So I stuck with the original criteria... the person whose guess came closest. That makes the winner...

MAUREEN PERES. Maureen guessed Fern, just one off from Screamin Green, Heidi's favorite color.

Congrats, Maureen.

Brian K. Root said...

i haven't flown a kite in yeeeeaarrrs... i'm half tempted now.

Peggy said...

Tossed the kite last year when know one was intersted. Does flying a frisbee we got free from the library for doing the summer reading program count? It has words on it, READ! and it scrunches down into another shape to go in its 3"x3" pouch!

Mike K. said...

Perhaps you are "tipping?"

Cheryl Houston said...

I love Central Market. They'll make you dinner there! I wish they were over on 121.

maureen said...

OMG I never win anything! (until HLA) I am sooo excited. Heidi I love beads!!!! I used to make my own bracelets until the kids came along and I never had time or worried about the choking issue.

Claudia, the anonymous post yesterday was Layne Caruso. I spoke to her last night.

Anonymous said...

Congrads Maureen!! Glad to know you love beads...enjoy the necklace and earrings.

It was a great thrill and honor to be featured on Claudia's website and to have the opportunity to share my passion with others. As far as choosing my favorite colour from Crayola's wonderful shade and name selection, it was a combination of the two (name and shade) that supported me in my decision. I just couldn't resist, "Screamin' Green"!! Come on, what a great name, makes me giggle, at the very least it puts a smile on my face. I love all things creative!

Thanks to all who participated and kept the energy going on this very fun blog yesterday. Can't wait to see who wins the 2nd ensemble I designed! Good luck to all!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Heidi... The second ensemble went to Debbie Clifford, whose name was picked out or our random acts of kindness box. I announced it on yesterday's blog, just below the question about your favorite color.

Yes, you were a huge hit yesterday, Heidi. Thanks again for sharing your talent with the readers.

Anonymous said...

And my second congratulations goes to Debbie Clifford! Whoo-hoo!! Now I'm curious which ensemble Maureen won and which ensemble Debbie won.

Last night at Beading Circle my friends inquired about the blog, who won, etc. I asked them if they had participated, they hadn't clicked on Crayola's website so were unable to try and guess my color. A fellow beader, guessed my fav color as being green, not a stretch as I was wearing green last night, and my fav green earrings. When she got home she emailed me (this time she actually checked out Crayola's site) and guessed my favorite colour dead on.... Screamin' Green! Made me smile.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Anonymous said...

Fun wedding things I didn't get a chance to write about the other day...

First of all, we LOVED our wedding! It was one of the best times I've had in my life. My proudest achievement of the event was the invitations, which I designed and made myself. They were gorgeous, and looked entirely professional, if I may say so. I love fancy paper, so this was a big treat for me, and it actually enticed a bunch of folks to attend, since we had mostly out of state guests.

We got married October 29, so we went all out with a fall theme because it's my absolute favorite time of year--not to mention amazingly beautiful in Kentucky. The ceremony was at an outdoor amphitheatre, which was a perfect tribute to my former life as a theatre teacher. Each bridesmaid carried a different bouquet, each showcasing a different fall flower. At the reception, we had brown and burnt orange tablecloths, with lots of candlelight. We used copper pots to hold arrangements of fresh fall flowers on half the tables (again with a single kind of flower in each container), with copper painted baskets on the other half holding bunches of different colored fall gourds and mini-pumpkins (again with a single color/kind of gourd at each table). We made caramel apples as favors, and they were a huge hit. And the cake was magnificent, with four tiers covered in chocolate buttercream and sugared, fresh mini-fruits.

My most creative idea was probably also the most talked-about and fun of the night. Since Halloween is my favorite holiday, and we wanted the whole event to be very kid-friendly, we had trick-or- treating at the reception. I bought a bunch of masks and hats and stuff from the Target $1 section, and we invited the kids to come up and choose a "costume," gave them plastic pumpkins, and then had them walk table to table collecting candy, which we had stashed under the tables in paper bags.

Sorry I'm late in adding this, but I love talking about my wedding, so thanks for the opportunity!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Stacie... NOW Thursday's feature on weddings is complete. I was waiting a for a recap of your spectacular day! And, yes... it was every bit as spectacular as described. Maybe even more so.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Claudia. I totally forgot to mention that we wrote the ceremony (borrowing some parts from a book of weddings), and my college theatre teacher got internet ordained and married us! It was incredibly personal and moving.

Julie said...

I realize that it's Sunday night ... but i just wanted to post quickly and say that Tera and Treye's wedding was FABULOUS! Lots more to come early in the week, as I am heading to bed now.

To all the highlowaha's that I met this weekend (or talked to on the phone) I'm so glad I got to place a face (or a voice) with a name!

Flat Stanley made it to me safely in one piece. He's currently in the air, flying from Pittsburgh to San Francisco with the newly weds. I will get him back once they return!

Anonymous said...

hi claudia, its Layne.i am going back a few days on the pronounciation blog. my dad was born and raised in the Bronx and every time he said oil (it came out sounding like earl) and the #3 was tree. until this day i laugh about when we remember these things. I even say weid instead of weird, car would be caur, it must be the native new yawk accent.
when i call tennessee for some car parts for my husbands 71 plymouth duster i dont know who is talking with the worse accent me or the guy down south (HAHA)......
Layne C

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Julie... Thanks for checking in after the wedding. We'll look forward to hearing more from you and some of the other readers about their beautiful day.

Layne... Is that the way it is? New Yawker's think everyone else has the accent and Southerners don't know what you're talking about.