Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Whack on the Side of the Head Wednesday: Neither Bigger Nor Better!

First a note:  
So wouldn't you know... last night my father called me to tell me I made an error in yesterday's blog.  Can you believe it?  Once more... the mistake was with regard to my use of the word "lay."  The word, "humiliating" comes to mind right now.  I've since gone back and changed it, BUT a lucky break for any of you readers who took me seriously and actually printed off yesterday's blog to share with family and friends.  Find the error and there could be something in it for you.

Now for today's whack...

It took Maureen, my good friend for over 30 years, to tell it to me like it is.  Bigger or Better is a flop.  Maybe the whole idea isn't a flop.  Clearly it isn't.  It worked for Kyle MacDonald who used one red paper clip and traded up for a house.  

It's me.  It's my poor execution of Bigger or Better that's doing us in.  We, after all, started with a sparkly fish pin... AND with perfect timing for the summer season.  Yes, Maureen had enough fashion sense to know she ought to get the pin while the getting was good.  She generously offered to trade up for a case of wine.  Heather knows a good thing when she sees one and immediately offered to trade the case of wine for her mother load of craft supplies!  The box contains an impressive collection of fun scissor shapes, hole punches, and more.  We had additional offers (Melanie with her guitar and Jenna with her NASCAR paraphernalia), but that's where we stalled out.

It's my fault.  I was desperate to hold out for the item most likely to bring me one step closer to Cheryl's plane ticket to Taste of USA's winning destination.  It's essential to me that she, the driving force and cruise director behind this whole operation, gets to participate in the winning weekend.  She deserves the trip ten times over, so failure of this stunt is just not an option.  In an effort to trade big, I have actually caused the demise (or at least downward spiral) of the project.  Oh, it's not just that...  I haven't devoted enough time and energy to the idea.  I bring it up every once in a while, but certainly not enough to get any real momentum going.  Also, I haven't clearly articulated logistics.  When and how do you make an offer to trade up?  How long before you know whether your item was selected?  Does the first person who calls dibs get the item on the trading block?  Ugh.  I was way too casual about something so important.

Sounds like the perfect job for Roger von Oech and his miracle Whack Pack!

It's true.  I'm somewhat throwing my hands up, trusting between a whack from Roger and creative input from all of you, that a new and improved strategy will emerge before day's end.  If ever you were inclined to challenge your creativity... or to make a post, please let today be the day.  A trip for a  deserving community member is at stake.

Now, onto today's whack...

Challenge the Rules.  According to ancient prophecy, whoever could untie the "Gordian Knot" was destined to become King of Asia.  All who tried failed to solve this complicated puzzle.  Then Alexander the Great had a turn.  After fruitless attempts to find a starting point he was stymied.  Finally, he said, "I'll just have to make up my own knot-untying rules."  He pulled out his sword and sliced the knot in half.  Asia was fated to him.  Most advances have occurred when someone challenged the rules and tried a different approach.  What rules can you challenge? 

The general rule with Whack on the Side of the Head Wednesday's is that I introduce the randomly selected "whack" from von Oech's deck and then I take the first attempt at applying his principle to whatever it is we're talking about.  I find that when I take a first whack at it, I help grease the wheels.  Many community members are more inclined to weigh in if someone else has posted a suggestion to which they may reply.  Today, in the spirit of challenging rules, I will resist the urge to go first.  I really need a viable solution and I can't afford the slightest chance that my going first might somehow lead (or mislead, as the case may be) YOUR thinking.

I italicized and bolded YOUR to underscore that, yes... I am talking to YOU.  You, the loyal reader who checks in each day, but doesn't feel moved to post a comment.  I get that.  I'm a loyal Barnes and Noble Rewards Card holder, but don't ask me to join the on-line book club.  I'm a proud alumna of Arizona State and University of Georgia, but don't expect me to be at every home football game with my face painted and pompom in hand.  But, when they need me?  Sure, I'll send the periodic check to assure books are in the library and endowments are healthy.  So maybe today, this one day, you might get off the bench long enough to help me find a break-through solution.  We only have a month left and I need your help. 

As for me... I will be sitting on the side lines, anxiously awaiting each and every idea.

Signing off until tomorrow... 

20 comments:

Julie said...

If there's one thing I've learned through participating in this blog, its that the more out-of-the-box the thought is, the more it seems to work.

My first (not so out-of-the-box) thought is that you jump on the guitar offer (but that's just because I love guitars - not that I can necessarily trade up for a guitar.)

My other, more out-of-the-box thought ... I just took a little time and briefly read through Kyle MacDonald's blog. It seems as though the town commerce played a part in offering him his final offer of a house. With that being said, I think that an airline needs to be included, and maybe almost "trade back" ... see what the airline would need to offer the tickets, and see if we can come up with said offer. Or, if we can't involve an airline, there has to be someone, or many people with frequent flyer miles ... and we can "trade back" with them.

I realize that's completely opposite the original idea, but I figured I'd at least throw the idea out here.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Perfect start to the day, Julie. Yes... maybe the question is... why do we have to make a random trade? Why can't we go directly to the source?

Good whacking, Julie. Who's next?

Anonymous said...

What if we ended up with multiple people somehow doing a trade? Like if other people have an item (not just the fish pin) that they'd be willing to "donate" to highlowaha to be traded up and up, and then we could perhaps end up with multiple folks donating miles or travel vouchers or what have you? Maybe it's a little far-fetched, but it could be a jumping off point for a better idea.

Anonymous said...

People list airline coupons on Craig's list a lot...we could either go there and see what kind of trade-up someone would accept or go there and post what our latest trade is and see what kind of offers we can get. This might also serve to bring in a new reader or two.

Anonymous said...

I am pretty sure that Beekayaroot also made an offer for the guitar a while back?

maureen said...

Ok Claudia now the NY is definitely going to show..

I am a very patient person but sometimes I need a quick fix. I know that no matter what we trade up we as the person trading has to mail the item. Mailing things costs money. So instead of going crazy figuring out what is worthy of trading up and how do I send it this is my solution.

In the Highlowaha tradition lets have a contest. In fact more of a lottery. For just $5 you could buy a point for your state in the "Taste of USA" . At the end it could help your state to win and there will be enough money to purchase a ticket.

As you said there isnt much time and last minute tickets cost even more. This way the money would only cost a postage stamp to send and it is easier.

$5 is the going price for "Starbucks". I am willing to give up a cup of coffee for a chance to be the winning state.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Wow, I am blown away by some of the creativity. Multiple trades, consulting Craig's list for interested parties, or abandoning the trade-concept for a raffle. So far so good.


Maureen... a side note... I DID NOT ask if that picture was really you yesterday, because I thought you looked fat. I was actually asking because you looked so YOUNG. I figured it had to be one of your daughters! So there!

Cheryl Houston said...

I have 8,248 American Airlines. Redeeming a ticket takes 25,000 if we redeem in time. (if not in time, tickets can be as much as 50,000 miles) You can buy miles for $27.50 per 1,000 miles. I need 17,000 for the grand total of $425.00. And don't forget the taxes, and $30 transaction fee.

AA.com advertises a credit card offer where you can earn 25,000 by applying. I could do that... you have to spend $750 within four months. The catch is can I spend $750 in a month and get the rewards in a month? Yeah, with gas prices and lunch and groceries and such, I could probably reach the $750 but would they award the miles in time. What do you think?

Sharing miles costs as little as $50 and up. Would a ticket cost less than $425? Hmmm...maybe trying to wrangle miles isn't the answer.

I'll have to keep thinking.

Anonymous said...

I love the buying points for our states idea! By the way, what state are we on?? Did I miss Kentucky's day? Hard to keep track if I don't have a daily reminder...

Cheryl Houston said...

Stacie- You just missed Kentucky! They're contest day was on July 3rd! But don't give up! Keep tuning in! There will be a make up day!

Kat said...

One problem is that the price of the airline ticket is unknown. Could it be only $200, or will it be more like $700? Is there any way we could at least get a ballpark figure as our goal? I like the idea of working directly with the airline to possibly get a reduced fare or free ticket. It is free advertising for them on Highlowaha. com! Or what if we got someone to donate something that we could all raffle for?

maureen said...

Claudia, THANKS!!! I as you already know I am my worst critic.I dont take compliments well. I think the hair being dark and long got you thinking I looked young. One plus to being overweight :
Your wrinkles don't show! (ha ha)

Anyway thanks for the compliment. I know you havent seen me in over a year but I already had tmy hair like this.I figured what was left.

OH by the way I just heard a song and it has a line that says "if I just lay here, would you lay with me and just forget the world" Now inquiring minds want to know "is it grammatically correct?"

Anonymous said...

I think it's going to be hard to get a ballpark figure on a plane tickets because we don't know where Claudia and Cheryl will be traveling to.

I have a friend who is a pilot. I'm going to talk to him and see what he can do for us. He's a goofy kid so he may be willing to trade for just about anything and give us a free flight (if possible). I'll keep you posted.

In fact, I just sent him a text message. More to come later on that!

I think that there need to be deadlines set for this "trade up" if that is what we keep doing. Set a date and say all offers for item A need to be on the table by such and such a date. Then the person trading can choose which offer they want to accept.

I'm not a big fan of "buying up" as that wasn't the original task. But hey, it could work.

PS - Heather...are you alive!?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Clearly I am going to have to solicit some help sifting through all these viable options and developing our better, more refined Plan . Maybe this is a job for highlowaha Board Members (I have four, you know).

Tera... Great question... where in the world is Heather. What I do know is that she is safe and sound in the state of Texas (as of last weekend). This is her first week of work, so I am sure she is swamped getting settled in her new job.

Heather... come out, come out wherever you are!

Peggy said...

Claudia... I know you questioned me a few days ago about receiving emails from you... not to be presumptuous... but I have not heard a peep from you... so have you been trying and I have been rude not to reply??

Anonymous said...

I'm here...just as Claudia said, swamped with work, getting our apartment set up and trying to navigate this crazy new country...yes country...I now firmly believe that Texas is it's own country as it is thus far VERY different from any state I've ever lived in.
Every night I'm busy getting Lily settled for the night, trying to get something accomplished in my apartment and then trying to process my day, my job, etc...
Tera...you are days away!!!!!
I'm going to go back quickly to my pet peeve...I have several.
#1: When people spell ridiculous as rEdiculous.
#2: too, to...it isn't too hard really.

Spelling in general gets under my skin.

As for today's whack...I'll have to process some more.

As for a peanut and shell...I'm in.

As for starbucks...I'll put a card in a RAK book at our campus starbucks!

maureen said...

Heather just letting you know that I am going to the post office tomorrow morning and mailing your wine. I hope you enjoy it. I was told its really good. I will let you know the ETA as soon as I know it.

Julie said...

I'd like to think that I went through yesterday's post with a fine tooth comb, and could not find your "lay" error. Where was it?

Also, Melanie - are you still out there?

Time for some ice cream :)

Katie said...

Quick Ice Cream Update:
I just returned from meeting two of my friends in Carrollton, KY (halfway mark between where they are for the summer and where I am). We went to dinner and then as we were paying our bill, I said, "did you all know it's National Ice Cream Month?". So, of course, we went and had some ice cream!!! I think I have kept to my promise of eating it every day this month, and I think July is quickly becoming my new favorite month!

Anonymous said...

Hey Claudia....I'm leaving my first blog!! Looking forward to Friday.

Heidi