Tuesday, June 17, 2008

To-Do Tuesday

1.  Get into the 21st Century.
2.  Post today's blog
3.  Order and drink Cinnamon Dolce, non-fat, no-whip, and heated to 180 degrees.
4.  Prepare for Pen Pal Weekend
5.  Mail treat to highlowaha winner.

Last week we were 100% wrapped up in celebrating 100 highlowaha.com posts, meaning that not much other blog news was covered.  Therefore, today must be about bringing readers up to speed on all the highlowaha.com happenings.  But, it isn't just about bringing you up to speed.  You are part of a thriving community now.  A community that, to truly thrive, must count on your participation.  So grab a paper and pen (or as the case may be in the 21st century, access your electronic management system).  I hope you'll make a few notes.

Highlowaha Reader To-do List
  • Altoid Table Phrase:  We need two things from you in order to move along the Altoid table project. First, post a comment on today's blog sharing a word or phrase you would like included inside one of the 38 tins to be used (see picture below).  The phrase I will contribute, for example is, "Think Big."  How about you?  
  • Altoid Table Chatchka:  Within the next two weeks we expect to fill all 38 Altoid boxes with the inaugural items.  This is a BIG deal, because we will be setting the tone for all future treats.  So, dig around your house for a fun trinket you can send.  Examples might be things such as: a fortune, a wishbone, a macth box car, quarters, a vintage ring you no longer wear, tea light, fun eraser heads, a Micro Sharpie marker, a pin, a coupon or gift card to a favorite store, a new lip balm, a scratch-off lottery ticket and the list goes on.  See item #4 for mailing address.
  • Bigger or Better: Resuscitate this project, before it dies a quick death.  We successfully traded up from beautiful fish pin to a case (yes, I said case) of Sauvignon Blanc wine... delivered to your door.  Our goal is to trade up for one plane ticket, so the very lovely Cheryl can accompany me to Taste of USA's host state later this summer (state still to be determined.  See item #5).  Your item does not necessarily need to be monetarily worth more.  You never know who might be trying to build their thimble collection.  So, just post your trading offer and let's get this show back on the road.  
  • Random Acts Postcard:  The first card was drawn yesterday to select a random recipient for the 101 Dalmatians.  To date, seventeen postcards have been received.  Each of those readers has the chance of receiving a treat in the mail.  Trust me when I say, there is a Random Act Giveaway coming up that you won't... WILL NOT... want to miss.  The only chance you'll have of winning, is to mail me a postcard including your mailing address.  You don't even have to include your name if you don't want.   My address is: 4012 Harvestwood Court, Grapevine, Texas, 76051.
  • Taste of USA:  Up this week for Taste of USA: What's Your State Made Of are... California, Iowa, Missouri, Ohio and Vermont.  On deck... Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Montana, and Virginia
In an effort to include a "creative" idea for the day, I thought I might include a to-do list tip or two.  After getting lost in a google search for way too long, I'm not sure I found anything life altering... though I did realize my organizational skills are archaic.  I'm a simple girl.  I use good old fashioned paper and pen to record my to-do list and when the task is done, I'm sure to cross it off with a red pen.  And, yes... I am one of those who writes a task on my list - even though its already done it - JUST so I can mark it off!

The extent of my creativity is creating "buckets" for my to-do items.  Rather than lump them together, I label my lists with headers such as: "Boys," "Home," and "Highlowaha."  That way, rather than one endless string of 1-100, I have three smaller lists.  Call it a mind game, but it works for me.
The most creative idea I saw while sifting through the ENDLESS amounts of information was the notion of assigning point values to each item on your list.  Determine values ahead of time and then work throughout the day to attain a certain number of points.  It's Weight Watchers in reverse.  With Weight Watchers you're given a certain number of points at the start of the day and each time you eat something you subtract the appropriate number.  With the to-do method, start each day with zero points and work to attain a particular number.  

Let's see if it works.  Your highlowaha goal for the day is to reach 81 points.  Reach it and you could receive something in the mail.
  • Provide an Altoid Phrase  = 10 points
  • Send an Altoid Chatchka = 15 points
  • Make Bigger or Better Offer = 20 points
  • Mail Postcard = 10 points.
  • Click on Taste of USA and make a comment about today's state (Iowa).  Even if it's just a thoughtful comment about the terrible impact the weather is having on their community = 5 points. 
Have a good day = 21 points.

Signing off until tomorrow...

30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs are free!
or just
Hug!
Still working on the others.

Anonymous said...

My altoid item will be a cookie cutter. Something dear to me but very Cassie so Claudia I'll drop it at your door sometime later.

Anonymous said...

My word for the altoid table is authenticity. As for my trinket, that will have to wait until I can do some looking around once I get home to KY.

Anonymous said...

i need some time to think, so ill post later...does it have to be just a word or can it be longer?!

maureen said...

Claudia, I will mail you a postcard today......
I will also send a trinket for the project...

as for a word I don't know if its a word or a phrase. Yours was two words...

I am not upping the prize just yet! I do however have something in mind....... Besides I cant up my own "wine"

Good Luck:)

Anonymous said...

Trade up:
Ameda Purely Yours Breast Pump.

Anonymous said...

Wow-
The table looks really cool! Have you found a spot for it yet? Is the local Starbucks game for hosting?
I like the following phrase: "Imagine the Possibility"

Have a good week!

maureen said...

Claudia, after thinking about "random acts of kindness" for the past few weeks I wanted to bestow one on someone really deserving of one......

I thought of the perfect person.... someone who really is deserving of a "random act of kindness"...

I wont say who it is I will say that you will know soon enough..... Im so excited!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Altoid Phrase: What if?
My Altoid box item: a mini lotion (for those that know me this is major!)

Cassie--That is an awesome trade up item!!! (luckily I am done pumping!)

This would be major for me but I'm willing to do it for the good of the cause: I'd be willing to trade up my purple box of the best scissors/corner edgers, and stamps on the planet. I know there are a few high low aha readers who are itching to get their hands on the set so hopefully it will prompt a few offers to "trade up". I'll send a picture to CKB to post.

Cheryl Houston said...

Altoid Phrase:
This may be too long but I love the quote by George Eliot, "It is never too late to be who you might have been."

If that's too long how about Believe in Yourself.

I will look around for my chatchka item and a trade up item and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

Saying/phrase for table:
Remember the Golden Rule...Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Item: Will work on that one....

Kat said...

My phrase "think big".
I will find something fun to send for the table, and address my postcard as soon as the baby goes down for his nap.

Anonymous said...

My phrase...give freely

My trinket - Let me see what I can find in my mess of an apartment. There will be a lot of cleaning out to do with all of these shower/wedding gifts, so I'm sure I'll find something.

I LOVE the altoid table. I hope to be down in Dallas in October for a conference so I look forward to seeing the table in person. I also want to meet all of you crazy Dallas HLA-ers!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I'll trade up a baby swing for Heather's box!

Phrase: Why not?

I'm sending small scrapbooking spools of ribbon for the table.

Cheryl Houston said...

I can't stand it! I have a hundred! I was trying to give everyon a chance to post but I can't stand it anymore.

More words/small phrases:
Appreciate, Delightful, Dream, Enjoy, Be Happy, Imagine, Live, Laugh, Love (LLL all together or separate), It's Magic, Smile, Wish, Make a Wish, Have Childlike Wonder, You are beautiful, Call your mom, Call your dad, Call your parents, Call me, Have Faith, Hope, Have Fun, Giggle, Be Sweet, We have all we need, You Matter,

and the best advice I ever received: "Deep Breaths, Happy Thoughts." It's the cure all for anxiety and nausea.

Okay, I'll stop at 27! :)

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
I LOVE IT!
and I'll add to it:

Dance Like No one is watching.
Be Kind!
Love is never random.
Take the Leap of Faith
You Can!
Don't Worry, Be Happy!
Wish on stars.
Smell the roses.
Fill the world with wonder.
"When the odds are one in a million, be the one."

Anonymous said...

Here's a thought-
It's the principle of the point
Someone I know says that often.

Cheryl Houston said...

That's the spirit, Heather! Thanks for playing with me!

Anonymous said...

well since im not sure how long the word/phrase can be for the altoid table, ill just throw mine out there anyways...i actually just posted my favorite quote on here a few days ago:

"live with intention.
walk to the edge.
listen hard.
practice wellness.
play with abandon.
laugh.
choose with no regret.
continue to learn.
appreciate your friends.
do what you love.
live as if this is all there is."

but it has to be written just like that, each on its own line with a period at the end of each sentence!

Anonymous said...

i have two items for the altoid table...one is a set of sea shells (and those who know me understand bc of my love for the beach!), and the other is a little 3 minute hourglass like from a board game...only it says something fun on it!!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I forgot my favorite word: serendipity!

Cheryl Houston said...

Cassie P.
I think any of those could surely stand on their own. They are powerful when all put together though. And let me ask, no caps?

Serendipty! I love that word, too. I also love the word jubilee. It's just fun to say.

Anonymous said...

Here's two more I thought of while I was driving home:

Possibility

Come what may.

Anonymous said...

cheryl,
i didnt really mean for them not to be capatalized, bc as you can see i never cap when i type, oops! (unless i cap the whole word for emphasis). but, i kind of like it all lower-case...it doesnt matter. although they do need periods! OH, and yes, they can all stand on their own, but i like them better together!

Peggy said...

Got Milk?

I'll send something for the altoids in the card making venue.

maureen said...

"Failure is inevitable, success is optional"

maureen said...

this one is rather long but its my favorite...

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the number of moments that take our breath away.

Anonymous said...

Checking in late because of house guests but I'm glad I stopped by today. The table looks great and the ideas flowing today are wonderful.

My phrase would be: live for today!

I'll get my postcard and trinket in the mail tomorrow after our guests get on the road...not sure what it will be yet though.

Hope everyone had a good day!

Julie said...

I'm posting here Wednesday morning because Wednesday's post isn't up yet ... the advantages of being in the EST.

What about filling it with pennies and putting "Pennies from Heaven" ... I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

Dr. B - I was slightly confused by the message you wrote to "Julie" at the end of Monday's post. Can you please clarify? Thanks!

Brian K. Root said...

"Believe deep down in your heart you're destined to do great things." - Joe Paterno

(for the table)