Monday, June 23, 2008

Community: Back to the B.A.S.I.C.S.

Announcements at the end...

It's official.  Summer is here and I love it!  Days are long, the sun shines, and nights are filled with neighborhood kids running around while parents catch up after a long, dark winter.  When I was a kid, we felt like owned the neighborhood.  We would run from the dock - where sail boats launched and friends would spend hours swimming, collecting shells, and waiting for Mr. Softee to pull up in his ice cream truck - to the Douglaston Club, where you could play tennis, swim, dive, and where tickets bought you the coveted basket of hot fries.  The beginning of summer was marked with the Strawberry Festival.  July 4th  brought with it the Annual Memorial Field races and Labor day was host to the Annual Back to School Carnival.  People gathered and friends were made.  I love summer.

Maybe it is those summer experiences, embedded in my memory, that are responsible for my interest in community development.  I'm not sure, but what I do know is I've spent the better part of my adult life thinking about concepts of community and why some "variables/experiences" make people feel more connected to a group of people than do other variables/experiences.  

In the early 1990's a colleague of mine and I - while working in the Office of Residence Life at Miami University - co-authored a workbook designed for residence hall staff.  The purpose of the workbook was to present simple concepts and processes for building a cohesive community among college students moving into a residence hall (or dorm for all those who don't work in student affairs).  The workbook was published soon after and used by a number of other campuses.

The concepts transcend residence halls or universities, for that matter.  Wherever you have a "group," you have the potential for community.  This could be a neighborhood, a church, a sports team, class, or office staff.  We are all impacted by community (OR LACK THEREOF) and it is for that reason I have dedicated this week's blog to the topic.  When writing BASIC, my co-author and I referenced six I's of community.  I thought each day we might look at a different "I."  You'll get to think about how each applies to the communities of which you are a part and I'll get to spend the week talking about one of my favorite topics. 

I'll also find this interesting, because in some small way... that is one of my goals for this blog.  I want this gathering of readers to feel as though visiting highlowaha is like coming home and reconnecting with friends... a place to share exciting news, but also a place to go when you need to feel better.  I want us to laugh together, to celebrate personal life events, and to feel safe when asking for help.  But community is also about contribution.  So, I hope as our community persists that we continue looking for ways to engage with one another, as well as the greater community- and yes, maybe in the process, to leave our community better than we found it.

Today's "i"... Introduction.  Introduction is important to community for two reasons.  First, it is - in theory - how one comes to understand what he/she should expect.  Unless I get a basic introduction to the "norms" of a group, I will continue to feel like an outsider.  Let's use me as an example.  Ordering a drink at Starbucks could be an intimidating experience.  There's lingo to know and protocol about where to pay and then where one should wait for his order.  People have regular seats they like to claim and all it takes is one "outsider" of the community to throw the whole kit and kaboodle topsy turvey.

A second reason introduction is important is because... in the end... the only way to really have community is for one person to get to know another.  There are no short cuts.  When I first starting visiting "my" Starbucks, I was nobody - just a nameless, faceless, random person stopping in for a drink.  Then the staff recognized my drink order, but not my name.  Now, months later the staff knows my name too.  It is not unusual for employees to strike up conversation and to ask questions about what I do, etc....  Consequently, I feel connected to that particular Starbucks and the people I can anticipate seeing each morning.  Slowly, but surely, community is being built.

So, today I thought highlowaha could do some of their own introductions.  If you liked the blog entry titled, "Take it or Leave it," you'll like today's entry too.  Today I will provide some basic prompts you can use to "introduce" yourself to the rest of the readership.  This will allow us to better understand who one another is and what we might have in common (essential to an "i" we'll talk about later in the week).  Here are the prompts:

  • Name:
  • State:
  • Birthday:
  • Work in home/Work out of home:
  • Married, divorced, or never married:
  • Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex):
  • Your Age (range if you're too incriminating):
  • A skill you're proud of:
  • Life goal:
  • Something you want to learn/do:
  • Something you collect:
  • Favorite past time(s):

As promised... Announcements
  • Bigger or Better: Claudia's frog to Maureen for case of wine; wine to Heather for Craft Case of scissors, etc...; craft case traded to ???.  The two items on the table are (1) NASCAR 2008 Jimmie Johnson 1:24 scale racing car OR (2) a guitar.  Which should we select as the next offer... car or guitar?
  • To-Do Tuesday:  Winning by 10 points, Cassie is our winner of last Tuesday's to-do challenge. 
  • Altoid Table: We got over 50 words for inside Altoid boxes.  Pen pals leave today.  More progress by end of week.  Thanks to Durham, N.C. for the first mailed shipment of chatchka for the tins (not to mention the other fun treats!!!!!).  
  • Taste of USA:  This week Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Montana, and Virginia.  On deck: Kentucky, Washington, Oregon, Nebraska, and Connecticut.  To date... New York is winning.

33 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Name: Claudia
State: Texas
Birthday: October 7
Work in Home/Out of Home: Work in Home
Married, divorced, never married: Married
Kids: 3 boys (15 years, 4 years, 15 mo)
Age: 42
Skill I'm proud of: I am a talent scout. I can spot talent from a mile away.
Life goal: To do something of major significance.
Something you want to learn: How to use a sewing machine and I want to read a biography of each president.
Something I collect: Sharpie markers and other art-related stuff (though not artsie or craftsie)
Favorite past time: reading and writing

Anonymous said...

Name: Katie K
State: Kentucky
Birthday: September 23
Work in Home/Out of Home: I am currently unemployed. However, beginning in August, I will be in graduate school full time and taking on an assistantship as a Hall Director in Residence Life.
Married, divorced, never married: Single
Kids: Not yet, but hopefully 2 to 4 are in my future
Age: 21
Skill I'm proud of: Being somewhat of a techie. It is a skill I learned from my father at a very young age.
Life goal: To provide an example to high school students in my hometown that it's okay to break out from the norm and dream as big as you want.
Something I collect: While I love my iPod, I must admit that I do have a shoe box under my bed which contains an odd collection of every kind of music (classical, rock, instrumental, etc.) which I love to pull out from time to time when I feel like shaking things up a bit.
Favorite past time: Journaling

Anonymous said...

Hi Claudia...I'm a voice from the past. We worked together at SMU. (pretty vague clue) Every now and then, I will look for old friends and collegues. So the other day, your name popped into my mind. Thanks to the magic of Google, I typed in your name and came upon this Blog. I've enjoyed reading it. Want another clue? You and I worked out in the Dedman Center at the same time each morning. Wow! Have they ever improved that place. Still wondering?...I was a SMU cop...getting any closer? I remember you had a humerous and impressive collection of oversized "stuff" in your office inside Hughes Trigg. We lost touch a short while after you went back to UGA. Ok, enough...it's Mike Snellgrove. It's good to see you're doing well. Email me some time. michael.snellgrove@vanderbilt.edu

Julie said...

Name: Julie
State: New York (born and raised in PA)
Birthday: October 6th (the day before Dr. B's!)
Work in Home / Out of Home: Working out of home as a Physical Therapist in a nursing home
Married, divorced, never married: Never married - although I hope that changes
Kids: None, but a proud aunt of a 3 mo old
Age: 25
Skill I'm proud of: sending random cards - if you consider that a skill ... I like to find every reason under the sun to send a card to someone
Life goal: Goal by the time I'm 30: to visit each of the 50 states. Currently I'm at 23
Something you want to learn: How to water ski and play the guitar
Something I collect: Postcards and shot glasses
Favorite past time: reading, being outside, being in the country / on the water

** I was at a bridal shower yesterday and saw a few very CREATIVE gifts that made me think of this COMMUNITY immediately. I will find an appropriate day soon and post those ideas, as summer time is wedding season! **

Anonymous said...

Name: Jayme
State: Pennsylvania
Birthday: June 10
Work in home/out of home: out of home...I'm a 1st grade teacher
Married, divorced, never married: married
Kids: None, but hopefully one day
Age: 28
Skill I'm proud of: scrapbooking
Life goal: To have a family
Something you want to learn: I'd like to learn to knit
Something I collect: shoes...especially sandals :)
Favorite past time: sleeping..haha, and scrapping

Anonymous said...

I forgot the something I'd like to learn...so here it is: How to play tennis

Anonymous said...

Name: Stacie
State: Kentucky
Birthday: March 31
Work in Home/Out of Home: In home now, but I'll be doing both very soon, since my massage biz is opening in mid-July
Married, divorced, never married: Married
Kids: 1 son (3 1/2 mo.), hopefully with more to follow
Age: 33
Skill I'm proud of: writing
Life goal: To be happy (already there) and to come close to fulfilling my potential
Something you want to learn: Midwifery and playwriting
Something I collect: shoes, though the collecting has recently stopped... and I have a small collection of frogs
Favorite past time: learning

Anonymous said...

Name: Cassandra Ashley Patterson (aka Cassie)
State: originally CA, then OR, currently IN
Birthday: August 16th, 1987 (this year marks the BIG 2-1!!!)
Work in home/Work out of home: both... i babysit!
Married, divorced, or never married: never married
Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex): no kids...yet
Your Age (range if you're too incriminating): 20 (almost 21, did i mention!) lol
A skill you're proud of: creativity
Life goal: love all people
Something you want to learn/do: GO SKYDIVING!
Something you collect: keychains and bottle caps
Favorite past time(s): working out, reading, watching movies, playing soccer, swimming and spending time in the sun!

Anonymous said...

Name:Cassie
State: Texas
Work pl:In the home
M/S/D: Married
Kids:2 boy(5&3),1 girl (1)
Age :35 (i think. I always ask my husband)
Skill: Not sure I have one.
Life goal: For my children to grow into Happy adults.
Collect: I don't think I have any collects.
Favorite past time: anything outside and with my family.

Cheryl Houston said...

Name:Cheryl
State: Texas
Birthday: August 12
Work out of home
Divorced
2 boys 6 & 7
I'm 38
A skill you're proud of: I'm handy.
Life goal: To have a gallery show.
Something you want to learn/do: build furniture
Something you collect: Craft supplies.
Favorite past time(s): Reading or listening to music

Peggy said...

Name: Peggy

State: WI, TN, WI now IL

Birthday:4-13-64

Work in home/Work out of home: Summer break, was a parapro for
7th grade LD, displaced for upcoming school year

Married, divorced, or never married: happiy married 19 years

Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex): ds Bubba 15 & dd Sissy 13

Your Age (range if you're too incriminating): 44 (I'm the oldest and hip-est so far)

A skill you're proud of: organization, I can get er done!

Life goal: to make a difference

Something you want to learn/do: travel abroad

Something you collect: cookbooks

Favorite past time(s):cardmaking, creative greetings

Anonymous said...

Name: Jenny
State: Texas
Birthday:25 January
Work in home/Work out of home: Out of home...although it feels like my home sometimes!
Married, divorced, or never married:Married
Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex):Son (Rich, 10) & Daughter (Kiley, 6)
Your Age (range if you're too incriminating):35
A skill you're proud of: Being a full time mom and working full time
Life goal: Making my kids be the best they can be in this crazy world we live in
Something you want to learn/do: Sewing (me too, Claudia!)
Something you collect: I love bears and baskets
Favorite past time(s):watching my kids play sports

Cheryl Houston said...

I've been wanting to ask this since I started reading blogs... help me Peggy.

What does the "D" stand for when writing before a family member. H, S, D? I see DH all the time and I have no idea what it means. H= husband, right?

Thanks for your help!

Anonymous said...

The D in DH, DD, or DS is for dear or darling.

Peggy said...

Ok, staci answered the question, but I had to go a bit further and look up acronyms and found this site that explains them all

http://groups.msn.com/jerseybeans/acronymsorwhatdoeslolmean.msnw

another thing I'm going to learn how to do is post links or whatever!

Cheryl Houston said...

Here's one not on the list: HC! Holy crap!

HC! That's a lot of acronyms!

maureen said...

Name: Maureen Peres
State: New York
D.O.B. February 8,1966
Work in home/ Out: I run my husbands business out of my home for past 19 years
Married, Divorced, Never Married: I will be married for 19 years tomorrow
Kids: Yes 3 1 son Michael Anthony (18), 2 daughters, Krysten Maureen (15.5) and Melissa Rose (almost 11)
Skill Im most proud of: Being a mother
Life goal: to be happily married and have great kids
Something I want to learn/ do: Travel to Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece
Something I collect:"diamonds"
favorite pass time: Shopping with my daughters

Anonymous said...

Name: Cristine
State: IL
Birthday: October 6
Work in Home/Out of Home: Stay at home mom - that's work right? Haha (I catch grief that I'm a licensed attorney but don't use it)
Married, divorced, never married: Married
Kids: 2 boys - 3 & 2
Age: 32
Skill I'm proud of: I can run & read a book at the same time (thanks law school) oh and I can recite almost the entire Cars movie
Life goal: I want to travel to Africa, write a book, and complete a race or triathlon
Something you want to learn: To regain my knowledge of Spanish and learn to speak another language
Something I collect: Perfume bottles
Favorite past time: reading, running, watching really bad reality TV

PS - Claudia I wanted to share this info with you. This weekend at Swedish Days in Geneva IL, they had an eco-friendly art craft bus for the kids. One of the favorite projects was projects - decorating used Altoid tins. The whole premise was to use stuff that would be thrown away as an art project. I thought that you would find this info amusing. Good luck with your table.

Anonymous said...

OK, OK C.K.B.!
I collect cookie cutters.

Anonymous said...

Name: Melanie
State: Kentucky
Birthday: May 19
Work: Out of Home
Married, Divorced, Never Married: Married
Kids: none, but two little dogs I treat like babies
Age: 27
Skill I'm Proud Of: Organizing! Give me chaos & I will find a way to sort it into something neat & tidy.
Life Goal: To follow God's plan for my life.
Something I want to do: Visit all 50 states w/my DH
Something I collect: Books!
Favorite past time: Hanging out at the farm with my family

Kat said...

* Name:Kat
* State: Arkansas
* Birthday: June 1
* Work in home/Work out of home: Work at home
* Married, divorced, or never married: Married
* Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex): A 16 month old son
* Your Age (range if you're too incriminating): 26
* A skill you're proud of: Making cool stuff from old random stuff
* Life goal: To do something major that helps other people
* Something you want to learn/do: To be able to sew well
* Something you collect: Too many things. I would like to have one specific thing though.
* Favorite past time(s): Crafting, reading.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

A couple of notes...

Julie... hold that thought on the creative wedding gifts. I had an idea for an entry and your creative wedding gift ideas will be perfect. How about we plan on doing it sometime next week?

Cassie... very nice. Now we know what you collect... cookie cutters. Onto the thing(s) you are good at. Consider this your first opportunity to take a page out of Ann's book and to take credit for that at which you are talented. Surely, I don't know more about you than you know about you!!!

maureen said...

I wish everyone were able to come to my house because my 15 yr old and I sew all the time and we would love to teach you! It is so cool! I made all of my kids costumes when they were little and now I make curtains, clothes, costumes for school plays etc. I highly recommend learning the basics.

CLAUDIA! I learned to sew in JHS 67 why didnt you????

Julie said...

Dr. B -
I'd love to do the wedding things sometime next week ... let me know what you want from me, if anything, early ... or if you want it as a post.

And, thank you ... Cassie, you HAVE to be good at something ... or many things ... making people smile, playing with your kids, making your husband's favorite meal??

Anonymous said...

-Name: Treye
-State: PA (by way of OH & KY)
-Birthday: August 6, 1981
-Work in home/Work out of home: Work out of home, though I'd love to be a stay-at-home dad someday
-Married, divorced, or never married: will be married in 18 days
-Kids or no kids: none yet
-Your Age: 26
-A skill you're proud of: being a good writer
-Life goal: Impact someone else's life in a positive way; visit every Zoo in the US
-Something you want to learn/do: learn to play golf & write a book
-Something you collect: DVD's
-Favorite past time(s): reading, playing basketball

Anonymous said...

OH! Can't believe I forgot about my BOOK collection! That's really the major thing I collect... I could use a 12-step program, in fact.

Anonymous said...

I know its late for me to respond but Claudia will understand as I spent the day traveling back from Texas, unpacking and reconnecting with my husband and son.

Name: Susan

State: Georgia

Birthday: May 5

Work in home/Work out of home: both - mostly stay at home mom but also a middle school substitute teacher.

Married, divorced, or never married: married to the same man for 19 yrs.

Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex): 2 - son(15), daughter (10, going on 25)

Your Age (range if you're too incriminating): 43

A skill you're proud of: cooking and being a good friend (not sure if that counts as a skill)

Life goal: get something, anything published.

Something you want to learn/do: knit, sign language

Something you collect: Books!

Favorite past time(s): Reading, reading, reading

Thanks again to Claudia hosting an awesome Pen Pals Weekend for Allegra and Rebecca. She really outdid herself. Also, Katie ROCKS!

Brian K. Root said...

Name: Brian
State: Pennsylvania (Greensburg)
Birthday: Sept. 25th
Work out of home: at a college
Single/Never Married
No kids
Age: 26
A skill you're proud of: My ability to write well and take great photographs
Life goal: To publish a book
Something you want to learn/do: I would love to learn to play the guitar
Something you collect: ATCs (Artist Trading Cards... just google them if you don't know)
Favorite past time(s): My sophomore year of college... awesome roommates, lots of fun.

Brian K. Root said...

P.S. I love your entry today. And I'd be especially interested in seeing this workbook you put together, since I'm currently working in residence life.



And regarding the trade-up, I'd choose the guitar, but unfortunately, I don't think I have anything to trade up.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Beekayroot... A couple of things... I'd be happy to share more about BASIC. It's a topic I love and could spend hours talking about. You should be interested in the rest of the week. I'll send a copy.

What do you mean you have nothing to trade?!?!? Crazy. What about some of your photography? The point is NOT that it is monetarily worth more, but just that whatever the item... it is "worth" more to someone.

Cheryl Houston said...

Beekayroot, tell me more about these trading cards? I checked out a site and it looks like it's a different types of media. Is that correct? I'll check more tomorrow but for now I'm taking the lazy path. :)

Very cool!

Brian K. Root said...

Cheryl,

I use a website called Nervousness.org that I stumbled across a few years ago. It's a website that promotes "Land Mail Art" swapping. Individuals swap via mail different mediums of art.

ATCs (Artist Trading Cards) are the size of your typical baseball trading cards. Artists from all over the world use different mediums (paint, photography, stamping, drawing, and even digital artwork) and trade cards with each other.

They're so intriguing!

Anonymous said...

* Name:Sara
* State:Missouri
* Birthday:Feb 24
* Work in home/Work out of home:Part time library clerk in a children's library
* Married, divorced, or never married: Married, 30 years!!
* Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex):four amazing children (gbgg): Kat 26, Dylan 22, Mia 20, Olivia 15. One absolutely perfect grandson... Max 16 mo.
* Your Age (range if you're too incriminating): 51 and thrilled about it. It beats the alternative.
* A skill you're proud of: I am a sufficient writer, but would like to improve. I've been told that I am a good listener. I have thoroughly enjoyed raising my children.
* Life goal: To wind up in a place where my husband and I can be of use to other people.
* Something you want to learn/do: I have always that that someday I would go to Africa. I would like to find a way to use my writing ability.
* Something you collect: Right now, nothing. In the past I have collected old hats. I like to pick up old stuff to decorate my house with.
* Favorite past time(s): Reading, decorating, writing, reading, reading, reading.
I am new here, just been lurking for a little while I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with the community. Oh, and I'm Kat's mom.