Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Introduce, Involve, Interact...

Monday, "introduction"; Tuesday, "involvement"; Today, "interaction!"  This is going to be a great day in highlowaha history, because today we get to illustrate what happens when members of a group not only introduce themselves to one another, but when that simple act of involvement prompts countless interactions.  It is proof that building community, among a wide range of people, is possible using virtually any venue.

Nineteen people introduced themselves to the rest of the highlowaha community, using Monday's prompts (name, birthday, kids, life goal, etc...).  Twenty... count them 20 commonalities were found among the nineteen members, involving everything from knitting to years married, to publishing a book.  Check it out...
  • Interested in learning to sew: Claudia, Jenny, and Kat 
  • Knitting:  Jayme and Susan 
  • Publish something: Katie, Stacie, Cristine, Treye, Susan, Beekayroot
  • Enjoys reading: Claudia, Julie, Cassie P, Cheryl, Cristine, and Melanie, Kat, TReye, Stacie, and Susan.
  • Works or worked in Residence Life: Claudia, Katie, and Beekayroot
  • Collects craft supplies: Claudia, Cheryl, Peggy, and Kat
  • Enjoys listening to music: Katie and Cheryl
  • Wants to visit all 50 states: Julie and Melanie
  • Learn to play the guitar: Julie and Brian, and Melanie is willing to trade one up.
  • Loves to be outside: Julie, Cassie P., Cassie, and Melanie
  • Works as teacher (or substitute): Jayme, Peggy, and Susan
  • Good at scrapbooking: Jayme and Peggy who makes beautiful cards
  • Married 19 years (to be exact): Peggy, Maureen, and Susan
  • Excellent at organizing: Peggy and Melanie
  • Wants to travel abroad: Peggy, Maureen, and Cristine
  • Aspires to learn another language: Susan (sign) and Cristine (spanish +)
  • Married: Claudia, Jayme, Stacie, Cassie, Peggy, Jenny, Maureen, Cristine, Melanie, Kat, Susan, and Beekayroot.
  • Has sons: Claudia, Stacie, Cassie, Cheryl, Peggy, Jenny, Maureen, Cristine, Kat, and Susan
  • Has daughters: Cassie, Peggy, Jenny, Maureen, Susan, and Heather
  • Life goal to raise great and happy kids: Maureen and Cassie.
What's amazing about this activity is that there are upwards of 80, or more, regular readers (most lurkers) who did not introduce themselves (though NEVER too late!) AND... for each thing that I asked you to share, there are thousands of potential similarities you did not share.  Point.  We are a group of people with many things in common - possessing skills from which others can benefit and anxious to achieve things with which others can assist.

Think about it... if there are a group of us who want to publish a book, can we leverage our friendship to become more informed about the process or hold one another accountable for making ongoing progress?  If ten of us have sons, how might we use that information?  If two people tout themselves as master organizers and someone else struggles with managing their clutter, how might the two work together?  If Melanie has a guitar and Julie and Beekayroot want to learn how to play, is there a connection to be made?  Or, if ten people are self-proclaimed book lovers, could a book club be in our future (look out Oprah's Book Club.  Highlowaha is on the scene)?

The possible connections are endless and if willing to share even just a little of yourself, think about how much greater the whole can be than the sum of its parts.  If you've gotten to know me at all over the past four months,  you know I can't just let this virtual "bank" of strengths and interests sit there without trying to... cash in.   I believe in community, so I have to push this activity to its natural conclusion.   How about this?...

If you introduced yourself earlier in the week, find one person with whom you have something in common and reach out to him/her requesting contact information.  Then, initiate some kind of communication (email, snail mail, phone call... something).  If you haven't introduced yourself yet, consider doing it now or simply reach out to someone else who has.  In the end highlowaha will have a web of relationships that stretches well beyond the life of this blog and our community will be stronger because of it. 

I'll start.  Kat.  Like me, you want to learn to sew AND you have a 15 month old boy.  It seems we have at least two things in common.  If willing, post your email address so I can send an email requesting your phone number.  I'd love to talk on the phone.

Now it's your turn.  Arrange to interact with at least one highlowaha reader.

Signing off until tomorrow...

15 comments:

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Kat.... post your email, so I can get your phone number. Or, if you prefer... my email is cbeeny@lslog.com. Email me and then maybe we can exchange phone numbers.

Julie said...

Melanie ... it seems that every place Dr. B listed my name, yours appeared. I'm running out the door to work but perhaps we can talk (email: jschnepp@daemen.edu) somehow. I won't be back to this site until late tonight ... I'm going to be defying gravity tonight as I go to WICKED as it's playing in Buffalo now!

Anonymous said...

Julie - it seems we have something else in common. I forgot to mention I'm a Broadway junkie & I LOVE WICKED. You must be so Popular! My email is mevans@bellarmine.edu. I'd love to chat!

Anonymous said...

I feel the need to mention that you both will be in attendance at the wedding of 2 HLA readers toward the middle of next month! How fun will this be- one of the first unofficial HLA gatherings!

Anonymous said...

YAY for all of us gathering at the wedding...this should be fun!!

i would like to reach out to cristine who wants to learn more spanish. my new boyfriend and his family speak spanish all the time, and i would like to be able to understand and communicate with them better. taking four years of spanish in high school didnt help when i lost it all in the past three years since! my e-mail is sunshine4him87@hotmail.com, cristine, lets see what we can do!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Julie & Melanie will both be at the wedding...in just 17 days!!!! I'll be sure to introduce you.

Beeny - did you get my email with the thing that needs edited?

I didn't post on Monday or Tuesday because I was at a staff training/retreat so here is more about me:

Name: Tera Michalski (soon to be Johnson)

State: PA

Birthday: 6/6

Work in home/Work out of home: I work out of home...kind of. I'm a hall director so I do a little of both.

Married, divorced, or never married: ALMOST married...

Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex): No kids...not for a handful of years

Your Age: 25

A skill you're proud of: Organizing & Planning...I love to color-code things and keep things in order. Mess drives me NUTS.

Life goal: See all of the zoos and aquariums in the US (maybe Canada, too); raise a happy and healthy family

Something you want to learn/do: I want to learn to be more observant...some times I just open my mouth with out thinking.

Something you collect: I like craft things.

Favorite past time(s): Watching sports...football season is ALMOST here...go Brownies :)

Peggy said...

Susan-
Seems we have a lot in common... what grade do you sub? I've been married 19 years also... 5-19-90...I love/hate to read... I do nothing else when I read... just finished Dean Koontz... The Good Guy....my dd Sissy is a little older than yours, she'll be 13 in 8 days... all I can say at times is OMG!!! I know how to knit... but I'm left handed... so I kind of do it my own way...(but I'm ALWAYS in my RIGHT mind) but I love cardmaking... anyone can check out my blog at http://prdesigns.blogspot.com
Plus I illustrated a fun cat book for a friend... we're still waiting to find a publisher!!

Kat said...

Claudia- My email is khanschu@gmail.com. I am so excited to talk to you!

Kat said...

Oh, and I want to add that I think I have convinced my mom that she needs to delurk and be a part of the fun her at highlowaha! I know she will be a fun addition to the little community here.

Brian K. Root said...

Tera, you and I will definitely have to chat at some point, considering that we're both in residence life and both in pennsylvania. I'd love to chat to see how residence life at your institution works.

Actually, now that I think of it, it'd be super awesome if the four of us Res. Life people could chat about our experiences, etc.

-Brian

sara said...

* Name:Sara
* State:Missouri
* Birthday:Feb 24
* Work in home/Work out of home:Part time library clerk in a children's library
* Married, divorced, or never married: Married, 30 years!!
* Kids or no kids (if so, ages and sex):four amazing children (gbgg): Kat 26, Dylan 22, Mia 20, Olivia 15. One absolutely perfect grandson... Max 16 mo.
* Your Age (range if you're too incriminating): 51 and thrilled about it. It beats the alternative.
* A skill you're proud of: I am a sufficient writer, but would like to improve. I've been told that I am a good listener. I have thoroughly enjoyed raising my children.
* Life goal: To wind up in a place where my husband and I can be of use to other people.
* Something you want to learn/do: I have always that that someday I would go to Africa. I would like to find a way to use my writing ability.
* Something you collect: Right now, nothing. In the past I have collected old hats. I like to pick up old stuff to decorate my house with.
* Favorite past time(s): Reading, decorating, writing, reading, reading, reading.
I am new here, just been lurking for a little while I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with the community. Oh, and I'm Kat's mom.

Wasn't sure where to put this, so I put it in too places. Hate to be annoying!

Anonymous said...

Beekayroot- I'd love to get to know you better! After all, we're both Libras (my birthday is the 23rd and yours is the 25th of September), I will soon be a Hall Director for Res Life at James Madison, and we both want to publish! I figure I can use some guidance in the world of Res Life and would love to have contact with you to learn your views of the Res Life world! Plus, of course, any advice you can offer to a new grad student would be MUCH appreciated! My email address is kkolkmeier@gmail.com- if you want to send me a quick email so we can chat more!

Anonymous said...

Dear Katie, Stacie, Cristine, Susan & Beekayroot,

I think its very cool that we all share a hope of having something published someday. I started writing a book once, then lost motivation and put the project on the backburner.

If any of you want to talk about our projects, I'd love to hear about them. My e-mail is treyej@yahoo.com. Maybe we can motivate each other to start/continue working on our publications!

Anonymous said...

OK Claudia,
Let me just say that when ordering uniforms for the whole of Colleyville soccer a CLIP BOARD is a must. I didn't know that I needed one but WOW is it great!
I thank you and Colleyville soccer thanks you!
Good night and how is Jack Jack?

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Treye, add me to the list of people anxious to publish.