Saturday, January 24, 2009

This Spuds No Dud

Potato sacks are out and glitz and glam is in.  I hope you're taking note, because Highlowaha's People's Choice Awards Show is only three weeks away.  We have lots to do to prepare for our party and picking out just the right outfit should rank among the most important.  I know what you're thinking... Dress up for a Virtual Award Show to be watched on my computer in the privacy of my own living room?  Is she crazy?

No, I am not crazy, but I am serious.  Dressing up in anticipation of walking the red carpet is part of fully embracing and celebrating everything for which Highlowaha stands.  We live the Spirit of #218 - meaning we can find cause for celebration in even the simplest of things.  So, yes, there is a dress code for the People's Choice award and potato sacks are out.  Dust off your fanciest dress and most glamorous jewelry in anticipation of this important One Year Anniversary.

The only thing more important than securing the perfect outfit is submitting your nominations for the nine award categories.  For your convenience, the categories and criteria are listed at the end of today's post.  

Back to potato sacks.  While a potato sack would be wholly inappropriate for the likes of our celebration, potato sacks were 100% appropriate for the party I attended one week ago today.  This party tradition is compliments of my new and special friend, Misty.

Imagine my surprise when Misty excitedly stopped me in the hallway or our children's day care in early December to invite me to her annual... POTATO SOUP PARTY!  What?  Potato Soup Party?  Now I know parties, but never - I mean never - in my life have I have heard of, nor been invited to, a potato soup party.  I was intrigued.

Here's the idea.  Years ago, Misty and a handful of her friends decided to forgo gifts at Christmas time and, instead, to give one another the gift of time.  No presents, just an intimate gathering of girlfriends with a long and cherished shared history.  Part of their history dates back years to when one of the women (Misty) worked at Grady's, a local restaurant with award winning potato soup.  By hook, and probably a little crook, the women got hold of the coveted recipe and pronounced it the official meal of the evening.

Fifteen years later, these women continue to meet for their annual Potato Soup Party.  Over time, each has been granted permission to welcome a guest or two into the mix.  This year I was lucky enough to be among the chosen few.  The warm potato soup is great and worth every carb and calorie consumed.  But, the real warmth comes from an evening spent with smart, fun, supportive women, all of whom seemed to genuinely understand how rare and fleeting moments like these can be as we get older and life gets busier and more complicated. 

We played a game, but actually the game only served as the excuse to get down to the business of sharing life's ups and downs and our most recent trials and tribulations.  An hour into the evening and we were telling stories like we'd know each other for years.  That's the magic of women and, in large part, the secret ingredient that makes the Annual Potato Soup party so special.

The other highlight of the evening to me was listening to the women share funny stories from years past.  There was the year the soup, which normally cooks the better part of the day, hadn't even been started when the guests arrived.  Then there was the year the wine flowed and one of the original five party goers got sick; the year a regular missed the party because she was literally in the hospital delivering a baby; and then the first year the party transitioned to an all night slumber party.  

They spent a portion of the evening retracing who hosted which party and where they were living at the time.  It was fun to listen to, because it was a simple reminder that though life changes, addresses change, family size changes, some things don't change.  Friendship doesn't change and all it takes is to keep something so priceless in tact is a simple bowl of potato soup.  I love for it's simplicity.

I would be remiss if I didn't brag about one more thing - Misty's invitations.  Take a look.  The invitations were handwritten on a cut out potato, placed in a burlap bag, and tied with raffia.  Perfect.  I know.  She's a pro.  One of us.

So while we will celebrate Misty and her potato sack, we will not confuse it, in way shape or form, as appropriate for our upcoming party.  Get busy picking out your outfits.  That's where I'm headed.

Recap of Nine People's Choice Award Categories:
Sliced Bread Award
This People's Choice Award will go to the Highlowaha reader who shared an idea you consider the "best thing since sliced bread."  It's an idea you have either utilized or passed on to others.  Please tell the idea he/she shared.

Raising the Bar Award
This People's Choice Award will go to the reader who shared an idea that has, in some way, enhanced the Highlowaha community.  Please share the name of the person and/or the idea he/she introduced.

Good Neighbor Award
This People's Choice Award goes to the reader whose overall participation and contributions to Highlowaha have strengthened our blog's community.

Energizer Bunny Award
This People's Choice Award goes to the adventurous reader who actively participates in daily activities.

Spirit of #218
The spirit of Highlowaha means making time for interactions and experiences, in spite of the busy, fast-paced lives we live.  This People's Choice Award goes to the person whose life seems to most encapsulate Highlowaha's Spirit of #218.

Home Run Award
This People's Choice Award goes to the reader who whacked an idea so hard, he or she knocked it out of the park.  

The Newbie Award
This People's Choice Award goes to a Highlowaha reader who has only been with us since October 2008, or later but whose participation we couldn't live without.

The Veteran Award
This People's Choice Award goes to a Highlowaha reader whose been with us since at least May 2008 and whose participation we couldn't live without.

Oz Award
This People's Choice Award goes to the Highlowaha reader you would most like to bring out from behind the curtain to meet.

Signing off until tomorrow...  

24 comments:

maureen said...

Im way to tired to comprehend what I just read! I will re read later and send in my votes. Just wanted to say Hello to all you out there in HLA land.

Have a great day! I have a million and one things to do before 2PM. I will check in on you all later......

maureen said...

BTW potato soup is my favorite and I make it all the time.... Def. not low in points (WW) but soooo good!

Anonymous said...

potato soup...yum!

dr. b, i cannot pick out an outfit this far in advance. whatever i choose today will change tomorrow, and change againn next week. i cannot decide until the day/night before, and the next day, i will probably change my mind again and again. SO that being said. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM GOING TO WEAR! lol

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone. I am Shannon, yes the one who didn't ask my free for all question yesterday. BUT, the reason is I was volunteering at my son's school in the a.m. and then had appoitments in the p.m.

Anyway, I want to thank Claudia for the intro yesterday. As you guys already know Claudia is an amazing woman! She is my mentor but more importantly my friend and I couldn't be happier that she moved back to Texas and lives nearby.

So the question I have for the free for all is my son's school will soon be celebrating 100 days of school and the kindergarten class has been asked to make a t-shirt with 100 things on it. So what I need are some ideas for 100 things I can put on this shirt.

Thanks in advance and I hope you guys have a great day.

azlori said...

Cute idea....how about a patch of school mascot, buttons, class picture, beginning of school date and 100th day date, sequins in your school colors, ABC's and 123's and other items that reflect your kinder curriculum and things they have learned about.

Peggy said...

Buttons, saftey pins, paper clips (do they have to be all the same thing??) (When my daughter did that, I have a postcard collection from all over the world, she brought in 100 postcards, with 100 different stamps.)

Pieces of cereal (cheerios, or apple jacks circles)
Shapes, circles and squares...
draw on the t-shirt x's and o's for hugs and kisses... or play 100 games of tic, tac, toe.... get 100 different googly eyes that wiggle from the craft store, 100 beads, 100 dimensional stickers, 100 popsicle sticks, kiss it with 100 lipstick lips....

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Yeah, Shannon! Thank you for joining our community. I expect you will be with us for a long time. I know the rest of the readership will love getting to know you, and all your great ideas, in the same way I've gotten to.

Now onto the issue at hand... what to decorate Dalton's shirt with... Hmmmmm.....

Buttons could be fun, He helps pick them out and you stitch them on.

Dalmation spots. with an extra (101) for good measure.

Soda tabs or coke caps?

What about a McDonalds themed shirt. Around the collar you print, "You deserve a break today." On the back maybe you print, "Now Serving... 100" and then you can attach McDonald-y types of items (spoons, straws, wrappers, french fries made from foam, etc....).

I'll keep thinking.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Ooohhhh... Let me say, I LOVE the googly eyes idea! You could do them in all different sizes and then use paint pens to give them eyebrows, etc....

Here's looking at you!

Just for the record, Whatever you go with, I like the idea of using paint pens to write something on the collar and maybe around the arm band of each sleeve.

Brian K. Root said...

Shannon,

my vote is for 100 different colored Crayola crayons.

-Brian

Cheryl Houston said...

Hey everyone. Yay. In honor of Potato Soup I am sitting in Houston with my friend, Cassie. We have been friends since we were 2!

I'll have to find something to wear... hmmm...

100 Happy faces. use Sharpies.
100 #100's.

What is your daughter into? Ladybugs? Flowers? 100 Hannah Montana's!! HA! Good luck

Anonymous said...

It makes me think of alot of Claudia's themed slogans:

Hats off to 100 days of school! (hat iron ons)
Truckin' on to 100 days! (truck iron ons)
"WHOOOO" has gone to school for 100 days? (owls)
100 days is super sweet! (with any candy, sweet cereal, whatever)

Anonymous said...

Oh and "What to wear, what to wear?"

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Ooooohhhhhh..... I am particularly fond of "Super Sweet" or "Sweet... 100 days of school," idea.

Imagine what a hit he will be with suckers and mini boxes of Milk Duds hot glued or stitched to his shirt!!!!

He'll definitely be the B.M.O.C for the day!!!

Anonymous said...

I've got to dress up for this party...I'm out :) I love me some hoodies and sweat pants! We'll see what I can scrounge up...now where is that wedding dress (just kidding...it's got a black rim around it from the bar adventure after the wedding...not wearable again).

I enjoy potato soup too. I've never made it though. Add that to my to do list for the next few weeks. Maureen...pass your recipe along!

Shannon...I was going to suggest buttons, but that's already been done. How old is your son? Maybe you could do 100 baby pictures of him...how about 100 race cars...100 pictures that you and him color together (they can be small)...100 shoe laces in all different colors!

Heather...thanks for the chat yesterday! You helped me see a lot of things I continued to overlook...I'll be staying put here in Cleveland!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Anonymous said...

that last post was from me!
Tera

Misty said...

I must say...I am thinking of wearing sequins for this occasion. It's not everyday a girl gets to wear them you know!

Claudia, you are so kind and your words are so eloquent. You caught the very essence of why we do what we do each year. THANK YOU! I hope that the "Potato Chip" parties begin this year. Just another great reason to get girlfriends together.

Second, I apologize about the pics. I tried but my computer is in need of a replacement and the pics kept coming up as " format not recognized". Bummer.

On a happy note..the slumber party was a hit!

As for the t-shirt idea...here are my thoughts...

Why do I love kindergarten? Let me "count" the ways..in honor of valentines day! ( 100 Hearts on the t-shirt...oh those heart candies..what are they called?)

Make a kinder "garden" T. 100 stickers of grass, bugs, ants, butterflys, flowers etc.

Misty said...

The hearts..conversation hearts??? I think.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Oooohhhhh... Misty! Both are great ideas. Hard to know which is better... the timely Valentine's Day idea or the KinderGARDEN with lots of flowers, grass, etc...

If Dalton was a girl... there would be NO question. That would be the award winning idea!

Misty said...

I always have girls on the brain...I will ponder something more geared for a little man.

Misty said...

Ok I pondered..I'm hooked on Kindergarten...Attach 100 types of fishing bait, worms etc.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Shannon.... yes, Misty's idea of the fish is great! Fish travel in schools. You could develop some sort of fun slogan to along with it!

"What a catch?"

"Smartest school in school"

Etc.... Not great, but keep on working it. There's a perfect slogan embedded somewhere in there.

Meeshie said...

so many good ideas about the 100 day thing. i remember doing this when i was in school!

I did 100 safty pins (already mentioned), 100 pieces of my favorite cereal, 100 stickers, 100 pennies, 100 pop tabs, and 100 sea creatures. one for every year that we did it while i was in elementery school!

Pecos Blue said...

Great idea. I am making potato leek soup this week and will think of this.

Kristen Giger said...

I vote you go with the fishing theme! How about little fish iron ons with googley eyes. Then have a boat up between the breast and collar with somelittle boys fishing. If your kids teacher has a sense of humor you can write catching Mr. Smith or something.