Friday, January 16, 2009

Fish Lips Friday

Only on Highlowaha, could we bring perfect closure to the week, by literally supporting a resolution about fish!  Am I the only one amazed and impressed by the perfect convergence of two seemingly unrelated topics?  

The first part of the week brought reminders about our New Year's resolutions.  The middle of the week was preparation for Goal Fishing and yesterday we had an unexpected (and unwelcome) visit from Sting Ray-the-grouch.

Thanks to Cheryl, we'll finish the week strong.

Here's the thing about Cheryl, as I have come to know her over the past year.  She is talented above measure.  Yes, Cheryl is a creative thinker like most of us who gather at HLA each day, but in addition to being a creative thinker, she is an artist!  Need mosaic tiles or a cutter?  She's got 'em.  Need labels, paint, ribbon, or art paper?  She's got it all.  Cheryl has a room chock full of everything and anything you need to start an assortment of art projects.  She would say the operative word here is, "start."

Cheryl is self deprecating, so chances are she'll rarely talk about her talents, but she will be quick to tell you she's never finished a project in her life.  Stacie - another HLA reader - would diagnose Cheryl as the classic "Scanner."  Scanners are good at a lot of things and are notorious for engaging with a project only long enough to get the gist.  Once scanners master the basics of something they get bored and are ready to move on. 

Cheryl's resolution for 2009 is to create - that means start and finish - at least 12 pieces of art centered around Lip Print Fish.  Need a visual?  Check it out.
She uses your "kisser" and turns it into a fish!  Cute, huh?  A friend of hers used a series of Cheryl's Lip Print Fish and framed them for her bathroom.  I don't know about you, but I love the idea and want to get started on my own school... now!  But, I can't.  Cheryl's busy.

She's resolved to keep her resolution and she needs our help.  Today begins the Official Highlowaha S.W.A.K. Drive.  Cheryl is looking for a few (actually, a lot) good SWAKs.  All you have to do to participate is apply some lipstick (guys can play too.  We won't tell), find your favorite piece of paper, and give it the biggest smooch you know how.  Then, seal it in an envelope with your name and mail to: 

Cheryl O'Pry
2701 Knoll Trail
Euless, Texas 76039

Sealing this Friday with S.W.A.K. for Cheryl and signing off until tomorrow...

18 comments:

Julie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julie said...

_ _ _ _ _ _
/ \/ \
/ \
/_/------------\_\
\ \------------/ /
\ /
\_ _ _/\_ _ _/

Julie said...

ok, so i have tried twice now to make a set of lips with th keyboard symbols, but it isn't publishing the way it looks in the "leave a comment" box!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL it doesnt look like lips julie, but it looks like a baby carriage! love it!!!

I have a couple questions for cheryl...

Do you want it only on white paper, or colored; and does the thickness of the paper matter?

And how big of a piece of paper should it be on? Because I dont think you want us to fold a big piece of paper to fit in an envelope???

The logistics of this...whew!

Peggy said...

Wow, what the eye can see.... I thought it was someone's backside and Julie was giving her thoughts about kissing something else !!! hee hee

See, I knew with some of the debates Cheryl and I have, it's our destiny to meet... arteest amigo! I salute you... cool lip treat ideas!

One of my majors in college was Commercial Design... I love liberal arts ... thus I am a jack of all trades, master of none!!

smooch!!

Julie said...

**_ _ _ _ _ _ **
*/*****\/*****\
/_/----------\_\
\*\----------/*/
*\_ _ _/\_ _ _/

Julie said...

that looks a little better, if you ignore the *'s

Cheryl Houston said...

Can you see me blushing all the way over here?

I just wanted to tell Claudia thank you. Thanks Claudia! I'm sure to reach my goal now!

I'm running into a 9:00 meeting but I want to run some scenarios by you all.

Here's what I struggle with and Cassie was asking the questions...

Should it be more controlled where I send you the paper I want you to put your lips on or should I just take what you give me and let the universe guide the project?

Logistics is right! So help.

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone. Tera here...writing from -4 degree Cleveland (but they say it feels like -22).

Cheryl, I too, am a Scanner. I'm great as starting all sorts of new things but not so good a finishing them.

I love the fish-lips idea :) Julie, good try...glad you finally got it.

Good luck to all of you who are goal fishing!

maureen said...

If the lips pic was a psyche test I definitely failed LOL. Busy today but stopping by to say hello.....

Its FREEZING here in NY. Forgive me if my lip print is "BLUE"!!!

Have a great day HLA!!!!

Peggy said...

Cheryl - good question... only you can answer that
... if your medium of choice is picky on the paper... then unfortunately, those who want to participate... you have to send them the paper... if it doesn't matter... then I suggest...
everybody (pretty much) has white copier paper... so say you need lips on a 4-1/2" x 4-1/2" paper... do you then cut the lip image out and paste it to your background ???

Katie said...

Cheryl- I agree with Peggy. It depends on if there is a certain kind of paper you need it on. If you don't need it on a certain kind of paper, then I don't think you would need to send paper to us. However, if you have an ideal weight paper that you would like used, then may have to send the paper yourself.

Either way, I'm excited to send you my "kisser".

Cheryl Houston said...

Okay. I've been thinking about this and here's what I want to do. First, send me your kisser. On any paper. On copier paper, on yellow pad paper, over a page of your favorite poem ripped out of book. A napkin- whatever you want. It's your choice. 4.5 x 4.5 would be the smallest I would suggest.

Then, after I get your first kiss, I will turn around and send you a piece of art paper that I want you to kiss again and send back to me.

I'm thinking there will be two schools of fish here. So, start kissing.

Kat said...

Cheryl-
Will you need the paper mailed flat, or is gentle folding ok?

Cheryl Houston said...

Kat- Preferably Flat. :)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

O.k. I've been out all morning, but I can't even scroll all the way to the bottom to see if the issue of uniform paper or not has been resolved!

NO!

In the spirit of Colin Powell - DISORGANIZE! This is the perfect opportunity to be the Chief of Disorganization! I bet what you come up with by not controlling will be perfectly serendipitous and will enrich the final product exponentially.

Now I'll go read to see if it got resolved.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Aahhhh.... I see you came up with the perfect compromise.

I should have figured.

Cheryl Houston said...

Is that the control freak in me?