Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Day Three: Lost Mind Mapping

As promised this was a true test in creativity!  A handful of you responded to my request for prompts I could use in developing today's post.  As interesting as today's topic is, the way in which I used your input to arrive at at today's topic is even more interesting.  See if you agree.  If so, maybe you'll accept the challenge I've included at the end.  Note: I had to do this activity late yesterday afternoon, so a few of you who posted later in the day might not see your words listed.  

At the center of the page goes the topic I am brainstorming.  In this case, today's blog topic.  From there, I move outward on the page listing your input and making free associations, based on whatever comes to mind.  See if you follow my train of thought...

Numbers...  23, 12, 23.  I could add, subtract, multiply.  That would give me 58, 11, 2.  Someone offered up the word "lottery."  Could they be lottery numbers?  I'll wait before I commit.  "Sunshine," "water," "energy"?  These are connected, aren't they.  Or maybe I like water and sun as elements.  I'll wait and see.  "Couch," "red carpet," "infinite staircase.  These are all things you'd find in a home.  Hmmm... I like that.  It feels relevant.  O.k., that's a lot with which to work.  

How does all this fit together?  I decided I'd take a break and think about it for a couple of minutes before making a final decision.  Drum roll, please....

"If you won $58.00 in a scratch-off lottery, what would you buy to improve an element of your home?"

For added fun, I decided to post the question, so Leadershape students could reply (yes, they were confused).  Here's what a few of them had to say...
  • "I would buy stepping stones and a river rock to create and extension of our porch , which our dog Buddy couldn't dig up."
  • "I would take a nice family portrait, enlarge it, and frame it.  It would be something new to hang in the living room."
  • "I would invest in some house paint and paint a room a different color."
  • "I would use the money to decorate a room filled with things that could help build a relaxing environment."
  • "I would buy window and door seals to eliminate air from coming out of the house and lower the cost of electricity."
  • "I would buy a  gift with my brother (something he really likes) and then I would ask my brother to go with me to a poor area and ask him to give it away to someone he thinks needs it."
Now it's your turn.  How would you spend your $58.00?

Ready for your next challenge?  How about YOU mind map tomorrow's topic.  Try to submit your mind mapping by 5:00 CST.  My free time is limited and I need some time to mill over your answers.  To get you started, I've asked the ten students sitting in the lobby with me right now to each give me a word.  Here they are: exciting, table, discipline, grapefruit, red, money, leadership, girls, fun, experience.

Two notes:
  • If you haven't already signed up for Goal Fishing, don't forget.  We're going fishing on Thursday, January 15.  Want to know more?  Check out Saturday's post (1/3).
  • If you were due to receive a Christmas ornament from the Ornament Exchange, take a second and let us know the eagle has landed and that you received your ornament.  There are some of us who will feel better knowing USPS "delivered" on their promise to... deliver.
Signing off until tomorrow...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristen: I got your coke rewards...THANKS!

Now for my $58 purchase: I'd probably pay to have a room of carpet cleaned.

For tomorrow's topic:
exciting, table, discipline, grapefruit, red, money, leadership, girls, fun, experience.

My Mom use to put us at the kitchen table when we were being disciplined...that wasn't very exciting.

Grapefruits are sometimes red...sour...bitter...hmmm

But the last words: Money, Leadership, Girls, Fun, Experience all remind me of the Women in Leadership Conference that we had at BU each year...now that was a CREATIVE CONCEPT and even more creative were the minds behind it...Claudia, Melanie, Ann, Donna, Britney, just to name a few...which leads me to Donna....who has a framing business....so my prompt for tomorrow would be:

If you could frame one thing (money not an issue) and hang it anywhere what would it be and where would you hang it?

Anonymous said...

Calling all HLA'ers...where are you today?

Cheryl Houston said...

I'm working on my mind mapping...

I did receive my ornament... Thanks, Maureen! Since my boys were out of town, I have tucked the project away for next year. I'm going to add it to one of my pockets in our calendar.


If I won $58 I would put the money towards the purchase of a new garage door opener.

maureen said...

If I had $58 I would buy new pillows for my couch. I may even use it to buy some cute seasonal towels for my bathroom.

( I hope this wasnt for tomorrow).....
As for something I would frame if $ werent an option... I would frame my 16x20 wedding picture of my husband and I that I didnt have the money to properly frame years ago and now its much lower on the totem pole of things I NEED to do,

Have a good day HLA!!!

Cheryl Houston said...

To Heather's question... I have a reproduction of a Marc Chagal that needs a frame. It hangs in my bedroom.

Katie said...

If I had $58, I would put it toward getting a new digital camera since mine has stopped working...

As for tomorrow...exciting, table, discipline, grapefruit, red, money, leadership, girls, fun experience. This makes me think of a FUN EXPERIENCE I had last night.

I went bowling at my aunt's sister's house (yes, they have a bowling alley in their house- let's not get started). The moral of the story is that I got a grand tour of all their new additions to the house and looking through all the rooms made me think of all the rooms I want to have in my house one day. One room in particular makes me think of many of these words: exciting, table, discipline, money, leadership, girls, fun, experience. So, I guess my prompt might be....if you could have one room in your house designated in the way in which you wish...what would you make that room?

Kristen Giger said...

My $58 purchase would be a sprayer for the kitchen sink that actually works.

Today's words/Tomorrow's topic:
exciting, table, discipline, grapefruit, red, money, leadership, girls, fun, experience.

What is so exciting about spending lots of money on a glass topped kitchen table?

If we could have just one day (spring, summer, fall or winter) where we acted like we were kids again, what exciting thigs would we do and/or what prior experience would we relive and why?

Cheryl Houston said...

Don't ask me how I got here, it's complicated and I'm not even sure I know...

If time, money and experience were not an issue, what would you be?

Anonymous said...

Treye and I both got our ornaments. However, we suck and haven't mailed our yet. I guess they'll go on your tree's next year Peggy & Maureen...sorry x1000000.

With $58 I would get more picture frames and print updated pictures of our friends to hang as well as put up more wedding pics.

Anonymous said...

First - Maureen, your Nacho popcorn was GREAT!!! I think it was one of our best yet. Everyone should have this recipe. If it's ok with you, I might post it on the blog. I finally wrote a note on our blog today. Sorry for being behind.
If I had $58 - hmm, invest in new running shoes, but that only gets me half, put it towards an extra enrichment class for Matthew, a babysitter so that I could go out to dinner with Matt without kids... so many thoughts and so little money

Meeshie said...

For tomorrow's topic:
exciting, table, discipline, grapefruit, red, money, leadership, girls, fun, experience.

hmm. i must be stuck on a scrapbook cycle, bc what i came up with was this:

What would your perfect scrapbook look like? (done by you, done by someone else - colors, ect.)

and with my $58 purchase, I would buy frames to frame the rest of the stuff I need to hang to make this house look like a home!

Anonymous said...

ok, i think that tmrw's post might be something about frames/framing, considering so many have posted comments about them! BUUUUT have we talked about it before? Not sure... my mind map:

table...food, eating, dinner, family, friends, coffee, playing card games
discipline...schedules, classes, homework, studying, exercise, kids, trouble, writing essays
grapefruit...food, eating, fruit, nutrition, exercise
red...color, blue, green, love, valentines day, hearts
money...green, dollars, buying stuff, necessity
leadership...fun, experience, dedication, hardwork, leader, followers
girls...girlfriends, fun, cruise, pink, talking, laughing, coffee, food, games, long nights
fun and experience...its weird i put those two words down under leadership; ill leave it at that

Words that came up more than once on my lists...food, eating, fun, experience, exercise, green, and friends. Do those correspond in any way to one another? CRUISES!!! That could be a fun topic...cruising!

Peggy said...

Sorry, I wasn't able to map my mind today. I had a little difficulty grasping the concept...I think my cold medicine slowed me down a bit.

For the $58 lottery win, I would buy a new welcome mat, a pretty wreath and a small decor flag for my front door~ a fresh new welcome for all of my guests.

A final note ~ something I saw reocurring in the word theme... I thought of Cindy Lauper and her song..."Girls just wanna have fun!" and other songs from the '80s

Kristen Giger said...

Oh yeah, and I got my wonderful reindeer ornament...thanks!