Friday, January 9, 2009

Free For All Friday

Voting for Secret Ingredient at the end...

Today I head home.

One week ago today I was packing last minute things in my bag, preparing to leave for Leadershape. I'll be honest. I was frustrated that I needed to squeeze sheets, a pillow, and a blanket in my suitcase and took it as a red flag that the week was not going to go as hoped. I arrived in McAllen and hours later saw the room in which I would spending the week. I called my husband and told him, in no uncertain terms, that if it was even remotely possible I would be on the next plane back to Dallas. The room was in terrible condition... bugs, torn mattresses, moldy walls and showers, joint bathrooms and the list went on.

I had in front of me five sixteen hour days, little sleep, junk food, and time away from my boys (all four of them). If there was a proverbial mountain, I was standing at the base of it looking STRAIGHT up!

Here's my point. This week has been among one of my greatest. I spent the week as a minority - one of two white people, among 54 Hispanic students and an African American co-lead, and three Hispanic Cluster Facilitators. I was out of my element a lot of the week. I butchered beautiful Hispanic and Mexican names, ate food that wasn't always familiar, got caught in conversations that vacillated between Spanish and English, and did one too many (bad) renditions of the Macarena.

Maybe this is the dis-orientation Colin Powell talked about. I think it is. It would have been much simpler to stay in Grapevine for the week. I could have made my daily trip to Starbucks, spent time getting "organized" for the upcoming year, and generally enjoyed life in the safe and comfortable surroundings I call home. Instead, I start off 2009 dis-organized, but also refreshed, more creative, a better (more humble) leader, and a more appreciative mother and wife.

I am thankful for the experience exactly how it was - bugs, possums, mold, and all. I'm looking forward to returning home, but I leave University of Texas Pan American (UTPA) reminded how rich and vibrant life can be when we allow our lives to occasionally get disorganized. The real thanks goes to the students of UTPA who welcomed me to their campus and made teaching and learning such a pleasure. Me? I get a small pat on the back for never getting so complacent that I overlook these irreplaceable life experiences.

Thanks for indulging me in the short reflection. Now for Free For All-ing. It's Friday so you drive the content. May I suggest that, possibly, we revisit some of the great questions emanating from the Mind Mapping exercise? Here's what I remember...
  • If money was no object, what is something in would like to have framed for your home?
  • If salary etc.. were no issue, what would be your dream job (how about writing the job description)?
  • If you could add any kind of room to your house (a bowling alley, a craft room, etc...), what would you add?

Don't like any of those? Create your own or disorganize us and take us in a whole new direction!

Now lets vote for the final secret ingredient, before the Super Bowl. You're voting for either...

Tabasco or Pistachio

Next time we talk, I'll be back in Dallas. Signing off until then.

11 comments:

Cheryl Houston said...

I will be in out today and tomorrow so here's my free for all... I already told you I would frame my Chagal replication. If money was no object, I would be an artist and create all day... so if I could add a room on it would be an art studio complete with ceramic firing capabilities in one corner and painting in another.

My vote is Tabasco.

Julie said...

running way late .... i'll be back to post after work!

Anonymous said...

Definitely TABASCO!

Katie said...

Hello from Virginia! After a long delay in DC- I'm finally home!

My vote is Tabasco.

Frame- If I had the money, I would love to blow up some of my pictures that I took while studying abroad in Australia and have them framed.

Job- I would work with college students to create a daycare for children in the community. This would be the perfect intersection of the things I love most- working with college students, children, and helping in the community.

Room- I would have an Art/Craft room as well. I would have a station/island in the middle of the room where I would store all my things and have more storage space than one could ever imagine. Each thing would have it's own place and I'd know exactly where to go to get something if I needed it. I would have a great stereo system of some sort so I could be in my element. I would have one blank wall with some sort of contraption to hang blank paper/foam board/etc for when I want to use my Tracer. And, since I saw this in the craft room in this house that inspired me to ask this question- I would have my washer and dryer in there. Then, I could multi-task and not feel so guilty for spending hours in there!

Katie said...

Here's one great thing about going away for a month- returning to LOTS of snail mail!

Thanks for the Christmas cards- you know who you are!!

Kristen, I received my ornament.

CKB, the cookie cutters arrived, as well!

Happy day, HLA!

maureen said...

Tabasco!

Apparently I took the job that doesnt pay already.... Being a full time mom has no paycheck, no days off, no vacations, no salary increases, no promotions, no retirement plans........

I chose this job because it truly was what I wanted to do. If I had to choose a job that was a paying job it would be something on the lines of a personal shopper. I love to shop and dont mind not keeping the stuff!

My dream room would be a ceramic studio in my house.... Just for ME NO KIDS ALLOWED!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Tabasco.

What would I frame? My diplomas...I worked so hard to receive them and now they just sit in a box in my closet. I'd hang them in my barren office.

What would my dream job be?
I REALLY like my job now. I wasn't sure of the fit before I moved in this direction but it feels really good to be where I am. If money were no object though I might like to do something that allows me the free time to pick Lily up early in the afternoons, travel more, and have a little more "me" time. I'm not sure what that job is and I'm not even sure it is out there but...

What room would I have?
A "man pit". Bal has always dreamed of having a "man pit" in a house. One with leather furniture, a big screen tv and a wet bar. Little does he know that I would LOVE this addition as well. Why? Well it would confine such "manly" activities to a designated space leaving me to watch my shows on another television and it would serve as a great entertaining space.

Anonymous said...

im gonna go pistachios since no one else has. hope there are other late posters like me, so we can have it a little closer of a race.

I would love to have a room strictly designated to scrapbooking for my mom and i. we only scrapbook when we have time (which is not much for either of us) and when all our stuff is already out. mom has no where for all her stuff, so sometimes sets up a table in the living room, but its no good...anyways, i wish we had a room where we could leave everything all set up and go work on it whenever we wanted. kind of like katie k's arts/crafts room!

if i could have any job, i might just be a babysitter all my life! i love playing with other people's kids and gettin paid for it. it just doesnt pay enough for me to do it the rest of my life!

Peggy said...

I'll go with pistachio.

It took me 18 years and 4 houses to get my craft room/office. I could send you to scrapbookers/
cardmakers blogs to let you see some cool craft rooms that would make your head spin!! But mine is just the 'guest' room... I need to paint the walls... maybe that will be one of my little goals I set for myself in goal fishing!

My dream job is still the same that it's been for a while... to be the assistant to someone who is highly creative and busy, yet who is conscientious yet not demanding.
Phone work, traveling, setting appointments, helping complete a project, being thanked, working deadlines, learning a trade (in some liberal arts field)also needs to be flexible, they will get 100% out of me, but I would still need some time off. I classify myself (as my dad always said) a jack of all trades, master of none!

Welcome home Claudia!!

Julie said...

Back from work ...

SOMETHING TO FRAME:
Funny story to this is, when I'm done posting this I am heading to Michael's (coupon in hand) to get a poster framed. A good friend of mine got me one of those inspirational posters a few years ago and I accidentally broke the frame during a move. BUT if money was no contest, I, like Katie, would print and frame several pictures - with each room having a different "theme" (family, friends, landscapes...)

DREAM JOB DESCRIPTION:
Much of what I am doing now can be classified as a "dream job" ... only I would make my family and friends constantly close to me. Also, I think that I would add a "work out" time into my work day.

ADD A ROOM:
Living in various apartment complexes makes me miss my Dad's garage. Complete with tools for everything, and everything I would ever need to clean my car - inside and out!

SECRET INGREDIENT:
Tabasco Sauce

Anonymous said...

Almost missed voting for the secret ingredient.

Tabasco Sauce

Glad you're headed home, Claudia. Bet Richard and the boys are too!!
Susan