Monday, January 12, 2009

Frito Lay: Chip In!


Attention Highlowaha.com readers... today is a departure from our normal modus operandi.  Bear with me as I continue testing the power of this blog and invite others to our party.  Quick note:  Next week's secret ingredient... Tabasco by a landslide! (Remember, mailing by Wednesday a.m. increases the chances of your snack arriving on time).  Lori beat Ray and now advances to the Super Bowl.  Melanie's recipe beat Susan's so it will be Melanie versus Maureen for the final Super Bowl slot!  It's getting exciting! 

Dear Frito Lay,

You might have heard.  Print ads don't work like they used to.  Neither do commercials.  You pay to interrupt my day with commercials or magazines ads and I either Tevo through your commercials or read my news on line... just so I can avoid the extra noise that companies like you are creating.  

Viral advertising.  Now, that works.  Instead of interrupting my day, trying to get my attention with your latest and greatest ad, how about if I come to you - Frito Lay - and ask to be invited in?  Confused?  Keep reading.  

I host a blog.  Hundreds of loyal readers tune in every week to check out the Creative-Idea-of-the-Day (except Sunday).  One more point about my readers.  They come from all 50 states and 70 countries around the world.  Most are mom's who are doing all the grocery shopping.  Others are younger women not yet married, but who one day probably will be.  And yes, men read our site too, simply not in the same large numbers.  

This creative community of readers is participating in the First Annual Super Bowl Snack Throw Down.  Next year it could be called the Second Annual Frito Lay Snack Throw Down.  Readers compete weekly to see who created the best Football snack, using that week's secret ingredient.  The event culminates Sunday, February 1, when two finalists present their winning recipes.  This year's only criterion... the snack must be served in a bowl.  Next year's ideal criterion... entries must be served with the featured Frito Lay Chip of the Week.  

Sound good? It gets better.  We partner with another blog site to do this.  The other blog is home to Struble Suds, a group of mid-western die hard Packer fans.  Each week, they commit to host a football party, so that their bar flies can determine which of my readers had the best recipe.  Between my blog and theirs, we're creating quite a stir.

We're inviting you to join our party.  Like all good guests, we want you to bring something.  We're just not sure what.  Chips, free giveaways, plane tickets for the finalists to watch the game from Struble Suds?  We're not sure. Here's what we do know.  You'll never get a better return on investment.  We're brand loyal, globally connected, and we're not asking for much.

As an added bonus, I live in Grapevine, Texas, just miles from your corporate office.  How about some Frito's over lunch?  I can be reached at (817) 488-9317 or cbeeny@lslog.com.  Please R.S.V.P so we don't have to go to the "B" list.  

Signing off until tomorrow...

15 comments:

Katie said...

Good morning, HLA!

I just wanted to stop in this morning to say hello because I'm headed off to training all day today! I'm becoming a Civic Learning Mentor for the students in our judicial system who are on probation. I am excited to work with these students and be a mentor to them, but I must become trained first....as with all things!

In other news, my staff did a little "goal fishing" ourselves this weekend. Each member of my staff has a "buddy" that will be keeping tabs on them and pepping them up each day! In fact, I woke up this morning to a note under my door from my buddy!

Happy Monday, HLA! That's my "chip-in" for today!

Anonymous said...

Good Morning! I like this idea of Frito Lay helpin us out!!!

Peggy said...

Wow Claudia ~ You go girl!! That was amazing! As Lou Grant would say to Mary Richards.... you've got spunk!!! (He had more to say after that...) But don't keep us hanging!!!! Are we getting any of those winning recipes from past snack downs? Or have I missed them?

If you missed checking my blog... delay due to 10" of snow here in Illinois... I finished my HLA journal... and started putting in mini goal fishing ideas, you might have to scroll down to see it!
http://prdesigns.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Happy Monday.
I've posted the winners from this weekend's competition. Congrat's Lori and Melanie.
Great letter Claudia - we'll keep our fingers crossed on Frito Lay.

Julie said...

What a Monday we seem to have in front of us today ...

my "chip in" today HAS GOT TO BE THAT MY STEELERS ADVANCED YESTERDAY! And, what makes the win so much better (for me) is the huge STEELERS fan base that is out here in the Valley of the Sun!

I can't wait to start goal fishing, either!

Kat said...

What a great idea! I hope that whoever receives your letter is one who says "yes" to new ideas! I am excited to see what comes of this.

Anonymous said...

Just stopping in to say hello. I've been dealing with a family emergency since last Tuesday, but am back in Cleveland...at least for the time being. I'm all caught up (again) and have loved hearing what you all have been up to.

Have a good week :)

Meeshie said...

Very cool idea asking Frito Lay to help us out. I hope that they say yes!

If anyone knows how to get it to stop snowing, that would be wonderful.

OH! and I've got a blog about the twins on the way...http://twinsin2009.wordpress.com if you're interested go and check it out!

Cheryl Houston said...

When I think Frito Lay I automatically think the Frito Corn chips used in Chili Pie- yum btw- but Frito Lay is so much more...Dorito's, Cheetos, Tostitos, Lay's Potato Chips, Sunchips, Cracker Jacks and more! So- what's your favorite Frito Lay product? I don't know if I can just pick one!

Now, if I can catch up on yesterday... you all mentioned great chick flicks but one not mentioned that is one of my favs is You've Got Mail. :) As for trading homes... hmmm... Definetly a house on an island in Greece... probably Santorini.

Anonymous said...

Hello HLA...HI KAT, we've missed you around here!!!!!!!!!!


Just checking in to say...come on Frito Lay!!!!

And to all those who have been sending me positive house selling vibes they finally worked...we got an offer yesterday, countered and it was accepted while we were enjoying dinner at Claudia's house yesterday evening!!!! YAY!!! In a matter of time we will no longer be home owners (and that is a very good thing!)

Cheryl Houston said...

Heather!!! How exciting! That is good news indeed!!

Whew!

Kat said...

Awwww, thanks Heather! My absolute favorite Frito-Lay product is Doritos. Don't get me wrong, all the others are great too, but oh boy, do I love Doritos! With a Diet Coke, mmmmm the perfect snack.

Anonymous said...

YYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY HEATHER! I am so super happy for you and Bal! Congrats!

And I, too, and ADDICTED to dorito's. they are certainly my downfall. I could eat a whole bag of those things in one sitting! Never have though...yet! LOL

Julie said...

CONGRATS HEATHER!!!! That's wonderful news!!!

Brian K. Root said...

haha, Claudia... always aiming high, and going for it all! I love it!

(p.s. I love those frito twists (the barbeque ones)