Monday, January 26, 2009

Baby New Year

Welcome 
Melanie, Sara, Kimberly, Allison, Johnanna, 
Michelle, Erica, Kelly, and Molly!  

So much to celebrate, so little time.  This is my kind of Monday!  Today is not only the Chinese New Year, but it is also the first day of our six-day Virtual Highlowaha Baby Shower!  There's gotta be something Feng Shui about that!

For our veteran readers, you know, our virtual parties are a great chance to welcome new members into our community.  So, grab a cup of coffee, wake up, and let's show these women what we've got!

For those who know me at all, you know it would be virtually impossible to bypass the opportunity to celebrate the Chinese New Year, even if I'm supposed to be at a baby shower.  So the challenge... find the point of intersection.  I didn't have to go far, as the Chinese Zodiac provides the perfect fuel for getting this party started.  

Tradition has it that the Chinese don't talk as much about age as they do the animal sign under which they were born.  In other words, rather than sharing that I am 43 and a Libra, I would simply say I was born under the sign of the Snake.  If I really wanted to self disclose, I might say I was a Wood Snake (as opposed to metal, water, fire, or earth).  Apparently that's all the Chinese need to know in order to, "have your number."

Skeptical?  Look at what my Chinese Astrology book (published in 2003) generally had to say about the year of the Ox.
"The year of the Ox will be an exciting one in which there will be major changes in the world leadership.  Political upheavals will be on the agenda.  In the first month of the first Ox year this century, Queen Victoria died.  There will certainly be struggles at the top of the political ladder where only the toughest survive.  Apart from instability on the political stage, the year of the Ox will pass without great floods or famines.  The Ox will spend most of his time in the fields, and the harvest will again be bountiful and the promise of an honest day's work means that there will be many willing to reap the benefits.  If you have serious plans of having children, the year of the Ox is a good time. "
Here are a few features of the Ox babies coming in 2009:

Qualities:  You are diligent, positive, and helpful.  However, you tend to run your own show and can be rather stubborn and authoritarian.  Some will find it difficult to work with you because you are tough and not always cooperative.

Luck: You appreciate the small things in life and you are extremly proud when you see the results of your work.  You work hard and are destined to succeed.

Money: You take care of what you have and build on your resources.  You may become very rich and famous in what you do - even something you learned as a child can bear fruit.

Social Life: You get on well with the people you choose to deal with.  When you find yourself among people you do not know well, you can be shy and introverted.  

Siblings: You enjoy relatively good relationships with brothers and sisters as long as they learn to give you space and try not to be too dominating.

Health: You are strong and extremely robust, like an Ox.  You won't suffer illness as you lead a healthy life and can look forward to prosperous later years.

Party-goers, if there is one thing you should know about this community that you will be hanging out with for the week, it is that we are fun and engaged (engaging too, but definitely engaged)!  It means we find reason to interact and share ideas just about every day.  As for today?  When in China, do as the Chinese do.
Apparently red envelopes are a big deal during the Chinese New Year.  They are given year round like greeting cards are given in the Western tradition, but never more than at the Chinese New Year.  The envelopes usually contain crisp, new money.  Sounds good, huh?

Here's how we'll play.  I have thirty red Chinese envelopes... yes, filled with money.  There are four envelopes with .25 cents inside; 20 envelopes with $1.00; three envelopes with $3.00; two with $5.00; and 1 with $20.00 inside.  Each envelope has one of 2009's most popular kids names on it.  You take a chance, pick an envelope/name, and see how much you've won.

Got it?  If you know your Chinese Zodiac sign then share that too!  

Here are the names corresponding with each of the envelopes.

Boys
Jacob
Michael
Joshua
Matthew
Ethan
Andrew
Daniel
Anthony
Christopher
Joseph
William
Alexander
Ryan
David
Nicholas

Girls
Emily
Madison
Hannah
Emma
Ashley
Abigail
Alexis
Olivia
Samantha
Sarah
Elizabeth
Alyssa
Grace
Isabella
Lauren

If I don't already have your mailing address, send me an email at cbeeny@lslog.com, so I can send you your winnings!

Announcements:
  • Speaking of Red:  You might have heard.  There's a red carpet event happening on Wednesday, February 18 at 8:00 CST, right here at highlowaha.  Today at midnight is the deadline for submitting your nominations for the nine award categories (see Saturday's post for detailed list of the nine awards).  If you don't want to nominate someone for all nine, but only feel strongly about one or two, then please just submit those.  It's only the People's Choice Awards if you, the people, actually vote!!!!!  Newcomers, we hope you will join us!
Signing off until tomorrow...

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome all you Moms to be! This is a fun week for me too because I feel so close to what you are all going through. (I have a 20 month old!)
I hope you have fun and we can share some helpful hints/tips/tricks with you this week!
As far as picking an envelope...I'll hold off to let some of our new readers pick first.

Good Luck!

Katie said...

Welcome to Melanie, Sara, Kimberly, Allison, Johanna, Michelle, Erica, Kelly, and Molly!

I will pick the name/envelope "Grace".

Also, my Chinese Zodiac sign is the tiger. Claudia, this makes me think of that morning we spent in Barnes and Noble this past summer looking at the Chinese Zodiac book... such a fun time!

Have a great day, HLA!!

Kristen Giger said...

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME all you with cute little (or big) baby bumps! I have a 10 month old and I also am looking forward to lots of fun this week!

I pick the name/envelope Alexis (that is Jennifer's middle name)

I'll be back with my Chinese Zodiac...

Kristen Giger said...

http://www.rainfall.com/horoscop/chinese.htm

tells me i am a RAT...I think only about half of what it said really applies to me. it kind of sounded nmore like my husband, but he is a tiger

azlori said...

Welcome Mom's to be! What an exciting time!
I'll take the name Jacob....for my youngest....and I am a Earth Rooster.

Anonymous said...

My middle name is Ashley, so I will take that one.

And it looks like my chinese zodiac is the "hare"...

Anonymous said...

If you are looking for your full Chinese sign, you can enter your birthday at http://www.chineseastrology.com/?page=asiansign

I knew I was born in the year of the Rooster, but my full sign is Metal Rooster

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I'll take Joshua for my cousin Josh who is headed to Iraq on Wednesday.

Peggy said...

I'll pick Madison.... for no reason.

Yay, my kids don't have the most popular names!

I checked out my Chinese Zodiac.... it sounds like me (a bit) I'm a Wood Dragon... don't get near me when I'm eating garlic!!!

eknoxuk said...

Hello!
I'll pick Elizabeth for my youngest, while she can hold that title.
Speaking of baby bumps, with the twins, at 14 weeks, mine is now the size of about 20 weeks! Its amazing!
Erica

Jess said...

I am a Fire Snake...I like that image. I have a 5 month old and a 4 year old so I am exctied to talk to all the new mommas out there.

I pick Nicholas since that is my favorite boy's name.

Meeshie said...

im gonna pick william, bc that's what we're naming one of the twins.

I totally feel like i'm huge, but i'm only 16 weeks! also, will look and post my chinese zodiac after i come back from my OB appt (which im running late for!)

Cheryl Houston said...

Good morning all.

I am an Earth Rooster too Lori.

Let's see... I'll take Olivia.

lindsaymarie said...

i am a fire rabbit... and the description for that sounds more like me than my zodiac sign, taurus! i'll be going to a real-life baby shower soon, so i hope to get some ideas for that this week! welcome to all the newcomers!
ps i choose olivia. =)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Lindsay Marie.... Cheryl beat you to Olivia. Pick another, quick!!!!

I feel like I'm going to have to sit back with my Chinese Zodiac book and read up on all of you!

So far Erica and Michelle are our first two party goers to check in. We're still waiting to hear from a number more.

lindsaymarie said...

oops! I'll take emma.

Katie said...

Oh yeah, I'm the fire tiger!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe two of the nine of us expectant mothers are having TWINS! WOW! Erica & Michelle, you have my admiration! I'm nervous about just dealing with one baby!

Brian K. Root said...

i'll take "Hannah"

Anonymous said...

I'll pick Emily for my niece who turns 12 this weekend.

My chinese zodiac is a dog. Hmmm...what does that say about me?!

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone. I'm going to live vicarioisly through all of you as I've got baby fever like crazy! I need a job first, but then we'll start really thinking about babies.

Kristen, I think I need to come home and see Jennifer to get it out of my system for a bit!

I'm going to choose the name Ethan.

I am a Water Pig...and most of is really true about me. Wow...I'm kind of surprised how right it is.

Welcome to all of the Moms-to-be this week. We all hope that you are having a healthy pregnancy! I'm looking forward to the rest of this week and getting to know all of you better.

Anonymous said...

I'm the Earth Goat...it says I'm pratical...hmmm...not sure how accurate that is. (note obvious sarcasm)

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone - I'll choose Matthew!! It means gift of God if you didn't know. Also, all Matthews have a little mischievous side to them - I have 2 Matthews in my house and they look alike and sometime they act alike (which is scary because one is 4 and the other is 40).
Also, I would like to share some exciting news - one of our Struble Suds regulars - The Tourlas Family just adopted a baby girl last week. So we will see if she has the qualities of a baby born in the year of the Ox.
And.. I'm a Wood Cat

Meeshie said...

I'm a Wood Ox! Says I'm opinionated, leader, and run an efficent household. I'm easy going and reliable, and very creative.

Most of that is true, i suppose.

Back from my doctors appt, the babies heartbeats sound awesome and I'm measuring at about 20 weeks, but thats normal bc there are two in there!

Anonymous said...

I'll pick Christopher

Anonymous said...

Hello- glad I checked in today to join in the party for new MOms- I'm one of the new Moms, however I'm still enjoying my 18 month old and am 25 weeks with my second. I am done after this one but have enjoyed being pregnant as well.

I will take Lauren if it is still available- that is the name of my first.

My sign is Earth rooster

Kristen Giger said...

ERICA AND MICHELLE: let me second the fact that the two of you having twins have my adamiration!!!

where are all the other ladies with growing baby bumps?? post!Post! POST!

Kristen Giger said...

TERA
come on over any time...I think Jennifer misses her uncle!

Anonymous said...

I have twins who are 6 yo. But I also have a 4 mo.

I'll go with Anthony.

-Robin

Zalonia said...

I have a little over 3 weeks to go. I feel like I'm going to pop!

I will choose Abigail, the name of my neice (and second cousin once removed).

Anonymous said...

I'm at 22 weeks (with a girl) and have a 2 year old daughter.

I'll choose the name Samantha (there aren't too many choices left!).

My sign is Water Ox.

Cheryl Houston said...

Glad you made it on cousins!!

Now, where is Johnanna?


And- I got a lot of great lips in the mail today. Thanks Katie, Cassie and Peggy!

Anonymous said...

New babies! You girls are so lucky. I'd love to have another baby but for now I'll just take care of our new puppy.

I looked up my sign and I'm a metal pig. Kind of funny if you ask me.

I'll take Isabella.

Anonymous said...

To all of you with beautiful bellies...What a fun week it will be.

I pick Alyssa...I love A names. My girls are Azlynn (4) and Alanah (2 1/2). AS for my sign...OX. I will have to look up the other part (wood, earth, fire etc). I work for P.F. Chang's so the Chinese New Year was in full swing today...red envelopes and all.

Anonymous said...

I am a Water Ox...interesting info!