Saturday, January 10, 2009

Regroup

Hi, everyone!

I will be quick today and if it is ok, I will use this day to regroup.  Our family has a few family obligations today (a swim meet to attend, hair cuts for the boys, and plans tonight) and I have a short list of things I need to do myself (unpack, laundry, planning, etc...).

To be honest, I don't even have a topic assigned to this date.  

The night before I left McAllen, three of the Leadershape coordinators invited me to join them in watching a "chick flick."  It was a completely impractical thing to do.  I had good-bye notes to write to participants, curriculum to learn for the next day, and bags to pack in preparation of the next day's departure.  And, it was already 11:45 p.m.!

I watched it anyway.  I live in a house filled with boys and, as my oldest would say, I'm "boy trapped."  This was a chance to do something I rarely get to do - hang out with a bunch of women, laugh at funny scenes, cry at sad scenes, and "ooh" and "aaww" over the romance of it all.  In the end, the night was nothing short of food for the soul.  A perfect way to cap off an already wonderful week.  

We watched the movie, "The Holiday."  The premise of the movie, for those who haven't seen it, is two women impulsively deciding to trade homes for the holidays, in an effort to get over relationships that recently ended.  One lives in England and the other lives in Los Angeles.  As all great romantic comedies would have it, the ending is 100% predictable and each of the women discovers their soul mate while living 6,000 miles from home.

Since I'm still thinking about how much fun I had watching the movie and since I have nothing else in the queue, how about we make the movie, "The Holiday," the inspiration of today's post? This could go in a few directions.
  • If you were to trade homes with someone for two weeks, where would you want them to live?
  • Or, tell us about something impulsive you've done that ended positively.
  • Or, how about just sharing the titles of some of your all-time-favorite "chick flicks."
And while we're busy getting nostalgic and sappy, know that Struble Suds is gearing up for a weekend of tasting and re-tasting all four wonderful submissions for this week's Super Bowl Snack Throw Down(s).  May the best snacks win!  Tune in on Monday to find out who won!    

See you on Monday, when we kick-off a whole new week of creativity and community.  Signing off until then...

11 comments:

Katie said...

If I could switch homes with anyone for 2 weeks, I would want it to be in South Africa. That is my current destination of choice.

My favorite chick flicks? August Rush is a favorite right now. Claudia, if you have not seen this...you must! I also enjoy Runaway Bride, 27 Dresses, and PS I Love You (ultimate chick flick!).

Anonymous said...

OMG I LOVE the holiday! I have seen it twice, and want to get it on DVD!

I also like PS I love you-of course; along with Mona Lisa Smile, 27 Dresses, How to lose a guy in 10 days, Under the Tuscan Sun, The Lake House, Music & Lyrics, and many others I cannot think of right now!

And if I could switch with anyone I would want it to be in London or Paris (even though I have been both places), Tuscany, or maybe Australia.

Anonymous said...

FYI- All Super Bowl tasting will be tomorrow - SUNDAY - Feeling kinda Sunday!
Struble Suds is snowed in... at the moment.
Have a great weekend.

Oops -- good chick flick Sex in the City!! or Lipstick Jungle if you only have time to watch a tv show.

And choice to live - hmm I love Fiji, but I'm not sure if I would get bored, Australia might be good. See the pattern, warm, water, no snow (no snow is key)

Julie said...

PS I Love You is both a fabulous book and movie! And, along the books turned movies theme, Nicolas Sparks': The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, and A Walk to Remember are all fabulous chick flicks. I have yet to see Nights in Rodanthe, but I want to! I'll have to put that and The Holiday on my "to see" list.

Impulsivity: During my first "senior" year of college (last undergrad year) three of my best girl friends and I took a road trip during spring break: Buffalo --> the southern tip of Florida by way of the Outer Banks, to see grandmas and grandpas of each of us! Totally random, pretty much unplanned, with the exception of letting parents and said grandparents know when to expect us, and absolutely wonderful and memorable!

Live anywhere for 2 weeks: Dude Ranch, Alaska, Florance, Paris, London, Dublin, Munich, The South Pole, Australia, and someplace near the Great Wall of China (ok, so that'd take me 20 weeks) ... oh well!

Kristen Giger said...

If I could live anywhere for 2 weeks...I'd live as a distinguished house guest of a fishing guide in Alaska...I'd be there druing the peak of the salmon spawn.

Fav. chick flicks:
Top Gun, Sweet Home Alabama, and if we're throwing TV shows out there too, how about the drama filled Grey's Anatomy?!

Anonymous said...

LOVE grey's anatomy!!!

maureen said...

I would go to any of the Greek Islands! I loved "The Holiday". But my most favorite "chick flick" was
"P.S. I Love You". I never cried so much in my life!!!!

Second runner up was "Step Mom"

Good Night HLA

Julie said...

Maureen ... I AGREE with Step Mom ... wonderful movie and I cry EVERY time I see that movie ... or pretty much even think about it!

Anonymous said...

I'm late on the draw as the post wasn't up yesterday when I first checked...
If I could trade homes it would be with someone in Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario so I could see all my friends up there who I haven't seen in ages.

Katie said...

Cassie- I definitely recommend buying "The Holiday". I have a copy of it and I have to say, it's a great Sunday afternoon movie!! For me, it's a perfect movie to put in while I'm trying to get some work done in the apartment or sitting at my desk doing some work. I'm the type of person who needs background noise while I'm working and it's a great movie for that type of thing! Plus, just a good chick flick to watch from time to time!

Anonymous said...

I would like to switch homes with someone who lived in san diego (i've never been but i just have this feeling that i'd love it!) or cape town, south africa. i'm with katie, i would love love love to go to south africa! and i also agree with her about august rush. love actually is also a favorite.