Saturday, May 24, 2008

Zip-a-dee-do-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay...

My oh my, what a wonderful day.
Plenty of sunshine headin' my way
Zip -a-dee-do-dah, zip-a-dee-ay!

It's true.  Saturday is here and I am feeling much better about things.  It is in part due to a GREAT conversation with a good friend; taking time out to read the book, Wacky Wednesday to Matthew's preschool class on Wednesday (and making all the kids turn their shirt backwards and inside out!), and enjoying a family picnic on Tuesday evening.  None of those activities are completely out of the norm for me, so I attribute the real turnaround to randomly leaving books for customers at Starbucks (or trying to), mailing four random letters (one to a complete stranger), and today... leaving treats on the doorstep of three of my favorite Texas locals. Cassie, Toni, and Cheryl... go look on your front door step. 

Here's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out... until now.  How, with such a terrific readership can I randomly perform acts of kindness for YOU - readers who I haven't yet met, or who live out of town, or whose mailing address I do not know?  Sure, every once in a while I make a post asking someone to do something and then maybe I follow up with note asking for your address, so I can send a note saying, "thank you."  But that's not really random, because the moment I ask for your address, you know chances are something is coming your way.  So, here's what I want to do.  Read on...

HEAR YE! HEAR YE!
CALLING ALL READERS... 
(first time visitors, lurkers, frequent posters, close friends, and relatives who are out there reading).  I'm talking anyone and EVERYONE.... 
 
Send me a postcard with your name and mailing address.  And, if you don't want me to have your name then just send your mailing address and, should I choose to mail you something, I'll I'll come up with my own name or send it to "Anonymous."

I will gather the postcards in a box (sure to be creatively decorated) and periodically I will pull out one, so I may surprise you with a random act of kindness.  Now, to be included you MUST (even if you think I know you address) send me a postcard.  The postcard is what I will put in the box to draw from when I'm feeling like I want a pick-me-up.  No postcard, no chance you can be the random recipient.  In other words, you gotta be in it to win it!

Please, please, please don't think I'm talking to someone else.  I'm talking to YOU.  Yes, you.  I really want you to take five minutes, sometime today, to simply jot your address on a postcard and mail it to me at:

Claudia Beeny
4012 Harvestwood Court
Grapevine, Texas 76051

Don't add it to a long to-do list.  It will continue to sit at the bottom of the list and by Tuesday it will seem less important.  Then by Wednesday you'll convince yourself it's too late, and by Friday you'll think I don't want it anymore.  Don't do that to yourself or to me.  Just take a second before day's end and make it happen.  A postcard stamp is 27 cents.  If you don't have one and the post office is closed, try buying one from a machine at a post office, a grocery store, a drug store, the stationary store where you buy the postcard, or even at USPS.com.

Added bonus... by doing this you will also actually be conducting a random act of kindness...for me. I can't think of anything that would make me smile more than a heavy influx of MAIL over the next week!
 
So, here's to capping your week off with one final act of kindness.  As for me... I keeping my fingers crossed for a trip to P.F. Chang's.

Signing off until Monday...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! What a treat.
And I would like to add perfect timing. The kids were yelling for breakfast and I kept saying after I finish reading this. Then in the middle of all that (and the blog entry) the door bell rings, Rosemary barks and Anthony says “ I think it’s Aunt Claudia?” Then “ OH NO MOM SHE IS LEAVING!”
Awesome! Great example for him too.
Thank-you!
I will start planning my continuation of the random act.

Anonymous said...

OMG. I am fighting algeries this time of year and slept in late (730) AND just did not know what I wanted to eat to get me jump started. My treat was a perfect. Delicious and healthy. Huge muffins with carrots, nuts, apples, coconuts. Who could ask for a better perk me up. Thanks Claudia for being my Daughter in Law.

Cheryl Houston said...

I am just the luckiest person ever! Drew came in my room this morning, "Mom, Mom, you're friend with the red truck and had gall bladder surgery left you a coffee." I was having a dream about a red truck and someone I was talking to last night had gall bladder surgery so I was confused. What a wonderful way to wake up... carmel machiatto delivered to my doorstep. So, we were thinking it was Cassie until I read this and I asked JB. He said, "It looked like Mrs. Beeney." :)Thank you so much!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

That's the thing about random acts. You think I did you a favor, when in reality I come out the winner!

My day is off to the perfect start.

maureen said...

Here it is 9:25 pm and its the first chance I got all day to get online. I just wanted to wish you all a wonderful and safe weekend.

As for my random act of kindness. I went to Costco and you could imagine the lines. I seen a pregnant woman on the end of the line and she seemed like she had had it. She looked ready to "POP" . I told her to come to my spot and I switched with her( I was next up at the register. She was about 5 people away.)She was sooo excited! You would think I gave her the winning lottery ticket. It was worth the extra 20 minutes in line and I am sure one day the deed will be returned.

Well Goodnight from NY!!!! :)