Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Power of a Note

Years ago my mother sent me an article cut from the New York Times. The article was about the president of Harvard University, Rudenstine, who served from 1991-2001. If my memory serves me, the article told of the president's return to work after being required to take an unexpected leave of absence for health related reasons. He explained upon returning to work, that he expected to modify his style in a number of ways... fewer people reporting to him, delegate more, and relinquish oversight of the central administration budget.

Interestingly enough... one thing the president refused to change was making time to write the handwritten notes that made him famous around campus. I always thought to myself... if someone as busy as the president of Harvard can make time to write handwritten notes - while simultaneously being responsible for a $2.1 billion (yes, billion) capital campaign, then by golly, I should surely be able to scrounge up a few extra minutes. Because, it's true... no amount of email, phone-calling, faxing, texting, or instant messaging can replace the unadulterated joy that comes from finding a handwritten note in your mailbox. It's so rare, that yes... this simple act has the ability to evoke a level of joy that goes virtually unmatched by other gestures of kindness.

So today - this fourth day of our random acts of kindness celebration - we will focus on the power of a note. This seems especially appropriate since it was only a few weeks ago that I was the recipient of such a gesture. A friend and colleague sent a postcard... a simple postcard. At the top is are the computer printed words, "Random acts of kindness." Below it is a simple note saying, "You inspire me. I wish we lived closer." Wow! What an unexpected treat to receive in my mail box. So simple, yet I can't bring myself to toss it... I think because it is handwritten and because it is from someone for whom I have a great amount of respect. So, yes... today I will think of a few people I know who deserve a note from me and before the day is over, random notes of kindness will be mailed. That's one approach to sharing the power of a note... making time to recognize deserved people we know.

Here's another. Share the power of a note with someone you do not know - a total stranger! When I lived in Oxford, Ohio I had a United Way appointed Little Sister. We had two dates a week. One on the weekend and one every Wednesday afternoon. Amanda's house was about thirty five minutes from my on-campus apartment at Miami University. Each time I drove to and from her house, I passed what to me - a New York City girl - seemed like the most perfect farm house and barn. The house was a deep, brick red with white shutters, and pristine green grass for as far as the eye could see. The barn was painted black and when set behind the red house and under the blue skies, seemed to be - in my eyes - perfect! I found myself looking forward to passing the house four times a week and making up all kinds of stories about what it was like on the inside and who lived there.

Before I moved from Ohio in 1995, after passing the house four times a week for three straight years, I decided it was time to tell the owners how appreciative I was of their home. One Wednesday afternoon, I slowed my car down while passing the red farm house and quickly jotted down their address. That same night, I sent them a note telling them of my trips to Hamilton, Ohio and thanking the owners for keeping such a well manicured home - one that I looked forward to visiting each week as I passed by. I still don't know who lives in that home. I never met them. I feel great, though, about sharing with those owners how much joy they brought me... without intending.

How about you? Do you have a favorite house you pass? What about a store you love visiting because of their unique items... or a restaurant that over-delivers with great service or impeccably clean restrooms? Consider using today to make someone you don't know the recipient of a random act of kindness?
Announcements:
  • Today we celebrate Washington D.C., Massachusetts, and Hawaii. So, regardless of where you call home, if you have a fun memory, favorite place, or a friend in any one of these places, let us know. Click on the Taste of USA icon, check out our fun facts (provided exclusively by Cheryl) and then leave a post. It's simple and fun.
  • NOTE: If you live in anyone of the states celebrated this week (Alabama, New Mexico, Texas, Washington D.C., Massachusetts, or Hawaii) you will want to gather forces for TOMORROW. Friday is the day residents of their respective states must post "what your state is made of" (favorite locations, cools sights, novel places to see). The winning state - once we've completed our national tour - will win a creative brainstorming session with me to help create the future of highlowaha.com (not to mention win cool prizes and so much more!).
  • Next week we celebrate... Idaho, Alaska, New York, Tennessee, and Michigan.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claudia...
Were you at Miami for undergrad, grad, or a job? I was there for CSP. Great place!

There is something powerful about a note. I just went to Hallmark last weekend to buy thinking of you cards to send out. I guess today will be the day that I finally make the time to write some notes in them and send them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Agree 110% the art of snail mail is very special. Finding a hand written card, letter, postcard, package in your mailbox is AWESOME! It makes me feel special. I have held onto almost every card or written letter I have gotten since undergrad. I store them in a rubbermaid container and sometimes when I am feeling down or having a tough week I pull them out to look through them.
In some ways letters are our legacies. They tell us so much about ourselves and others. I have enjoyed in particular the letters and notes from people who are no longer with me. It is as if for a moment as I read through the brief note or sentiment that they are alive once again.
Today's blog is a good reminder for me to sit down and write some letters and notes. Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

Hand-written notes are the best! My fav often come from artnme1556...thanks buddy!

I'm going to take some time before the end of the weekend to get my hand-written notes out!

maureen said...

Claudia,
As you know i sent my daughters away to summer camp last year. I did it for Krysten because she needed to get away and learn how to live and interact with others ( shes only 3 yrs from college) and I did it for Melissa because she needed to get away from mommy ( shes a momma's girl). Needless to say they loved it and looked for a letter each day. They wrote me complaining that I didnt hand write my letters. I didnt think that would bother them but it did. From that letter on I wrote them every night and they wrote me back. We are all a little "sappy" in this house (PMS at its best) and we all have kept the letters in a box since.
I only receive hand written notes from you and I do like thinking you took the time... It makes me think I matter......

I guess I owe you one!!!!!

maureen said...

Ok back to books....

Heather I do not have any pre-school books left I'm sorry!!

Stacie, I have quite a few books your son will love one day. My daughters favorite is The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. You can email me your address and I will box these books and mail them out. I just want to warn you that there are about 15-20 books. They are all popular titles and in great condition. Just let me know....

Anonymous said...

A good friend of mine from college is amazing at sending snail mail - sometime handwritten, other times in the form of holiday cars or family pictures.

I always get so excited when I get mail from her. I wish I could be better at sending snail mail - especially birthday cards. Tera and I even started to make note of my friends birthdays in our address book, but I haven't always followed through with sending out birthday cards. Hopefully I can get better with that.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

I love the fact that today even a single person is stopping long enough to reflect on the power of a handwritten note. Based exclusively on that, I will render today's post a success.

Icing on the cake would be... stopping yourself RIGHT NOW, whipping out a piece of paper (frills NOT NECESSARY) and writing to someone. That would be truly great!

Shari, I worked at Miami in the Office of Housing and Residence Life (Assistant Director) for 3.5 years (I think from '93 to '96). Phil James, Lori Bennett, Suzie Nagel were all there around that time. It is, in fact, where I met some of my closest friends (and a couple of HLA readers).

Cheryl Houston said...

I was so inspired by today's post that on my lunch hour I went and bought the most beautiful blank cards ever because my friends deserve only the best! I was just so pleased with my find and I envisioned a beautiful stamp right there on the beautiful envelope but GUESS WHAT!!! Do you think they have any beautiful stamps out? The United States Postal Services knew forever that we were having a price increase! Do you think they were prepared with a variety of stamps for us to use on our personal random acts of kindess letters? I'll tell you NO!

I was so completely bummed out! But, I didn't let it deter me. I wrote two letters and they are going out with that famous bell of ours. Ugh!

Rant over! I can't wait for my friends to get their letters!

Anonymous said...

Hi Claudia & Highlowaha friends! I'm back from Belize, but I’m struggling to pull my brain back from the tropics and the amazing trip we had. I promise to give you all a synopsis of the trip very soon, but it has taken me since Monday just to get caught up on the past week's blog & comments!
Claudia – as for your other request, I’ll see that very individual this weekend find out her thoughts on your offer.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Melanie, Thanks for the teaser about future Belize stories to come. I for one am very anxious to hear all about the experience.