Monday, May 12, 2008

Maintenance Monday and Makeshift Mailboxes

We are a busy group. If you are new to this site, you should know this. The philosophy... For those who much is given (fun, friends, and creative ideas), much is required (participation, input, and even new referrals).

So a quick update for all those... new and returning...
  • If there are any Leadershapers out there... HI and thanks for joining us! In the next couple of weeks we will embark on a selection process to determine which of 13 dedicated students we will support in his or her work toward achieving the vision statement developed last week at Leadershape (for some sample visions check out Vision Showcase (5/8) .
  • Mark, if you're out there check out the picture below. Read it and weep! Yes... I've been home for LESS than 24 hours and Harvestwood Court has already had its inaugural "Open Grill." For those of you just tuning in, Mark's Colorado neighborhood is the ultimate community. I recently shared (The Value of One, The Power of All - 5/7 ) examples of fun activities shared by he and his neighbors. The concept of an "Open Grill" was one of the many. If you do something fun, let us know so we can feature (and possibly copy) your neighborhood.

  • We've had lots of new people post in the recent past. Welcome... Dawn, Beekayroot, Dr. Russ, Jennie, and the others who I might have missed. As for some of our loyal readers... Cassie had her surgery and is in recovery; cspgradstudent graduated on Saturday; Stacie returns to Louisville with her beautiful two-month old baby boy after six successful weeks in Maryland; and sending positive thoughts Heather's way.
  • Jennie asked last week what title was for someone who worked with college students at a university. A quick note and invitation to Jennie. Jennie, if you think you might be interested in learning more email me at cbeeny@lslog.com and we can talk in greater detail. In the meantime... The position I most recently held was Dean of Students. The work I did at Leadershape was that of a Lead Facilitator, through the Leadershape organization. It is great and rewarding work! Many of the readers, in fact, are in a similar line of work (or will be soon). If you post questions, I am sure you will great lots of helpful information and insight.
  • Taste of USA will be starting very shortly. Cheryl and I will meet one day this week and with a little luck, we will kick off the contest next week. Last I looked, we still need representative readers from North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and West Virginia. If you know anyone in those four places then please, please, please pass our site along. Our goal is to start the contest with at least one reader per state.
  • Flat Stanley is in the house! Yes, Helena has had quite an adventuresome month or so with our beloved Stanley. We will hear all about it tomorrow when I post a summary of her adventure and the ONE surviving picture (the explanation is all part of her great adventure). What YOU need to know is that Flat Stanley is up for grabs. The first person to reply TODAY will serve as his next host.

And now for Makeshift Mailboxes....

Yet another great use for paper bags (see This is Your Bag Lady Speaking).

This morning I was unpacking my suitcase from Leadershape and out came my makeshift mailbox. One of the Leadershape traditions is to post a brown bag with the name and picture of each participant on front. Throughout the week participants are encouraged to jot short notes to one another either paying a compliment, making note of an insight one shared; thanking someone for a kind gesture; encouraging someone; or just providing a pick-me-up. I stopped what I was doing and took time to read the notes people wrote me. Fifteen minutes later, I felt GREAT... set for the rest of the day.

I was quickly jolted from the day dream of me standing on a stage, thanking all the people who helped make it possible when Jack hit me over the head with his toy fire engine. But that was ok, because at that particular moment, according to my new found Leadershape friends, I was superwoman!

Maybe I'll try it at home in the next couple of weeks. Each of us will decorate our own brown bag, hang them in either the kitchen or laundry room and for one week we will leave treats or encouraging notes to one another. You can argue... What do you need a brown bag for? Why just a week? Why write down the compliment when you can just open your mouth and just say it? All good, legitimate questions. So, I ask you... when is the last time you took out five minutes to formally acknowledge the things about your family members for which you are proud and appreciative? Our lives are busy and sometimes more time passes between thoughtful gestures than we think.

So, how about it? Brown bags... $1.99, tape for posting bags... $1.00, markers to write with... $4.99, knowing your family is proud of you... priceless.
Signing off until tomorrow...









16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe it is almost 10 am and I'm the first to post.
But...welcome back to the land of the living. I am doing what I do best, procrastinating from packing my bag to head to Dallas. I've already dropped LIly off at Daycare, cleaned up the house (including a load of wash and run the dishes) and made a last minute Walmart run for 3 oz bottles to take through security with my toiletries.

So in response to today's blog...do you mean that "we" as a blog readership are going to assist a Leadershaper with their vision? That could be loads of fun.
As far as the mailboxes go...I like the idea. It is always so much more meaningful to see a kind thought put into words.

So, now I'm off to start packing that bag.
Thanks for the positive vibes!

Cheryl Houston said...

I love the idea of Makeshift Mailboxes. Just last week I read an email where the lady bumped into a stranger and all the pleasantries were exchanged. Then, the same night, she bumped into her son who was standing behind her while she cooked dinner...waiting for her to notice him and instead of exchanging pleasantries, she fussed at him to get out of the kitchen. The son was holding flowers for her but she was too busy to notice...

There are so many times in the hustle and bustle of working and cooking and cleaning and repeating the STOP THAT! that I know my boys get fussed at instead of, "Exuse me."

I think I might take it one more step and actually use a box. I want to be able to put the flag up when they have mail.

Claudia, I look forward to meeting this week for Taste of USA. Heather, you and Claudia stop by if you have time!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl!!
You are so right! Why do we forget to be polite to the ones we love?! The worst is when your 3-year-old starts repeating what you say..."Stop that right now!" That's a reality check! Although Hayden (3) and Brogan (1) can't write words yet, I think we'll start the brown bag tradition this week!

Cheryl Houston said...

Well, it's not that we're bad parents... it's just after we've said "Please, stop that" 50 times it gets a little unnerving and "STOP THAT" has a lot more effect. :sigh: Strangers would never dare do to us what our kids do. And it works both ways. My boys are infinetly more polite to strangers, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I contacted my WV person. Does she need to post for her state to be counted?

Katie said...

Shari- for right now your contact only needs to get on the site for her state to be counted in the tally. We get this information via Google Analytics (a site used to track which states are logging onto the site).

However, once the Taste of USA starts and the roll call takes place each week, she will need to post a comment for WV in order for her vote to be counted.

I hope that made sense and I'm doing my job as official bean counter!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Wow... Go cspgradstudent! She is exactly correct. Our readers don't have to post to be counted UNTIL the day when we do their state's roll call. In the meantime... state representatives should be trying to muster up as much new readership in their state as possible.

Tom Sechrest said...

Finally getting online to be part of your blog! I look forward to following the adventures of HIGHLOWAHA.COM! Tom Sechrest, Austin

mkoepsell said...

Mailboxes for the family! What a great idea!! My girls will be all about it. Most mornings they wake up at least an hour before my wife and I and they create all sorts of things for us. Yesterday Madeline (7) made a homemade Mother's Day Card and then a homemade bookmark. When she was done she still had so much energy...she made bookmarks for all of us! :)

As for the open grill! Woo Hoo! It's so fun isn't it? And EASY. Now I'm missing my neighbors, better get planning an event for the weekend.

I miss you my partner in LeaderShape!
Mark

mkoepsell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks CSPgradstudent. And congratulations! Now you'll have to be CSPgrad!

Katie said...

Shari,
Thanks for the congrats! I actually just graduated from my undergrad university on Saturday and am headed straight into my life as a cspgradstudent! 2 years from now...then, i'll be cspgrad! Thanks, again!

Julie said...

I thought I posted this morning around 10:20, but I'm not seeing my post show up ... so I'm going to re-post.

I'd LOVE to get Flat Stanley next. I have some fun events coming up within the next few weeks that I think he'd enjoy.

Let me know if I can have him!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Julie, Yours it is!!!!! Send me your mailing address and I will pass it along to Helena. We'll try to get it out in the next couple of days.

Thanks for jumping on it.

My email address is cbeeny@lslog.com

Brian K. Root said...

Thanks for welcoming me into your community!

As for those bags, I did that with my RAs this year during our 2-week training in August, except we used envelopes that they decorated. Then, we taped them on the wall and, in fact, used them for the rest of the year. They are great little things!

Now, I'm off to read up on this Flat Stanley thing... Wikipedia, here I come.

Unknown said...

I did the same thing when I got home. It did feel great.