Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Stockings and So Much More!

Welcome back! I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend. I did and am now ready to jump into another fun-filled week of getting and giving creative ideas. Hopefully you are too.

I know I need to jump right into today's blog and save announcements until the end, but today I'm going to indulge myself and make one announcement up front. The rest will be at the end. If you did not read Saturday's blog (Zip-a-dee-do-dah, Zip-a-dee-ay), please go back. There's a proposition in there that I hope everyone will consider.

Ok... If you read yesterday's blog, you know the theme for the week is, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." This week we will look at a few things I have a really hard time getting rid of... and why. Maybe as the week goes on you will also share some of the items you consider treasures that others might consider trash.

At the expense of repeating myself... I like paper. I am not especially crafty or artistic, so stiffy bow baskets, needle point, crochet, pottery... none of these things are in my future. I do, however, get a charge out of making use of paper products that I collect along the way. Below are some examples...

The best part of wearing stockings (from my perspective, not my husband's) is the white piece of cardboard that comes in the center. That is, of course... unless you buy your pantyhose in an egg. I love those pieces of cardboard. They are the perfect size (6" x 9"). Crisp and white. Sturdy, but not so thick it feels like a clumsy piece of brown corrugated cardboard. I've designated an old magazine holder to collect these and other pieces of cardboard just like it (bedding usually has great cardboard inserts too).


Today in less than five minutes I combined: (1) Talbots Mircorfiber Opaque (control top... of course) Stocking cardboard insert; (1) quickly taken photo for the purposes of this project; and (1) advertisement from a magazine featuring a picture of an ornate gold leaf frame. Put them together and in less than five minutes, I voila... I have this fun little pic to send my mother. I added the yellow ribbon later.

Nothing stupendous, but it will be a nice little pick-me-up when it arrives in her mailbox in New York.
Here's another one... Nothing is cuter than a baby in a crisp and clean onesie....chubby legs showing for the world to see. Imagine my excitement the first time I bought a package and found narrow white pieces of cardboard rolled into each shirt. The pieces of cardboard are

1.5" x 5.5." The first time I laid eyes on one... "bookmark" immediately came to mind. I love them and think they make great homemade accents to accompany a top-selling birthday book. Today, I set five of them in front of Matthew with a big box of markers. It was just the right amount of coloring for him... and in the end, he made something functional.

So you see... I have a hard time throwing away cardboard, card stock, or any other piece of paper (magazine ads, decorative catalog pages, etc...) that I think can be used to make something fun. Granted, I could easily go buy a big piece of poster board and cut it down to size, but what fun would that be? This is all about finding the perfect use for the perfect piece of cardboard.

How about you? How do you reinvent your "garbage?"

Announcements:
  • Today begins week #2 of Taste of USA. Last week was fun, thanks to the hard work of Cheryl and Katie and still... I know we can do better with regards to our participation. Let there be no confusion... Here's all you need to know: (1) Today, tomorrow, and Thursday residents of the featured states AND non-residents should feel free to comment. (2) On Friday, only residents of states featured this week should post their favorite thing about their state. The winning state, receives a fun-filled afternoon of brainstorming, prize-winning, and community building!

  • This week's states are: Idaho, Alaska, New York, Tennessee, and Michigan.

  • On deck for next week: Illinois, South Dakota, Minnesota, North Carolina, and Arizona.

  • Matthew's first puppet show was a hit last night (for background, see Monday's blog, Scene Three, Take Two).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Claudia,
I was thinking last night about the taste of USA thing. Could you revisit the idea of the USA winner having you go to them and have them come to you instead? They would not have the pressure of hosting and entertain you and maybe they, in addition to brainstorming, would get a little break from their everyday routine. They would also have the added bonus of seeing you brainstorm in your environment. Maybe they would even pick up some extra craft/organization skills from you?
Also, It maybe the only chance some people get to see TEXAS or even leave their home state.
Just thinking!

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Thanks, Cassie for thinking about highlowaha... even at this early, early hour!

You're whacking the idea and it's not even Wednesday! LOVE IT! Your suggestion helps me better understand what I need to do in order to better communicate the Taste of USA concept. If you, my creative and trusted friend and relative don't have the complete skinny on Taste of USA, then I am certain others don't as well.

The primary reason your suggestion of having the person fly to me would be tough is... Ideally, it is a state (a group of 10 people or more) working together to win the competition and to participate in the afternoon of fun and games. If I awarded the prize to all the winners, I would be flying MANY people to Texas. And, while I would LOVE to do that... it's not in my budget. I reserve the right to use your idea when I strike it rich!

One more note, based on what you posed. The winners will have to do NO WORK and will not have to host me. I will do all the work. All the winners have to do is show up ready to be creative (...or get creative).

Cheryl Houston said...

Claudia! You wrote on Memorial Day!?! You're so dedicated. Thanks for sharing the Mom/mom stories. I need that reminder.

As for as today's blog goes I don't know if I save the garbage parts but I do save... stuff. All the extra buttons to clothes over the years. I still have them all. I don't have most of the clothing items but I have the extra buttons.

When I was in college, I had to purchase this box of special color paper for design projects. I used some of it. I still have most of it.. um, 20 years later.

I purchase these crafty items that I'm going to make something wonderful and then, they get half done and sit there. I'm a craft starter not a craft finisher.

I'm a pack rat. One day I will make cool craft art stuff with everything I have. Or, I will die of old age and my grown children will have to clean it out and throw it away. :)

Anonymous said...

Imagine my surprise today when I walked to my mailbox on campus and found a Random Acts note from you!
LOVE IT and thanks for thinking of me.
As crazy as my life has quickly become (we are listing our house today!) it was a good reminder about what really matters.

Thanks for being a good friend!

Anonymous said...

I had the honor of attending the PUPPIT SHOW. It was beautiful. Now I know that is not necessarily a word one would use to describe a Puppit show. But that is the perfect word. The beauty of simplicity, innocence and smiles made our hearts warm. I loved it and so did the honored guests Great Aunt Peggy and Uncle Jimmy.

Anonymous said...

Oh forgot to add the Puppet Show also served brownies. Yummmeeee.

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Cheryl, I love that you collect buttons. So do I and one day I will be sure to explain why. There is a fun story around the subject.

Telling me you have a fun and unused stash of paper in your house - that's gone unused for 20 years - verges on painful.

My new goal... inspire you to find SOMEWAY to use it, so there is no chance of it ending up in a garage sale 60 years from now!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,
I challenge you to make something cool out of paper for show and tell at this weeks Bunco. Something useful maybe?

Cheryl Houston said...

Cassie, I will see what I can come up with before Friday... but don't hold your breath!

I was trying to find a picture on the internet but I must not be calling it by the correct name.

Cheryl Houston said...

okay... if you are interested, you can see what kind of paper I've been toting around for the last 20 years at www.opry.blogspot.com. That's not an actual picture of the box I own. Mine are slightly curved on the edges for some reason... I think they were tightly packed at one point. :)

Claudia @ Highlowaha said...

Wow! I just visited your site. It wouldn't let me leave a comment there, so instead I'll leave it here... Is that paper or cardstock? It looks like it could be cardstock... or definately of a heavier weight than traditional paper. Curled around the edges??!?!?!? That is sacrilege! Bust out that paper and start using it... or fork it over!

Cheryl Houston said...

It's a heavier weight but here's the twist... it's only color on one side. the other side is white with the Color-aid color code on it.

When Drew asked me what I was doing, I told him what was going on and the mom (little m) asked him for ideas. So, I have my idea but I also had a request for a shark so I was making that as a practice run. Thanks for the mom talk yesterday! :)You'll have to wait and see if I get it done by Friday.